Stanford 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Dignan

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Dignan » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:53 pm

crackberry wrote:
Dignan wrote:There are just so many ugly buildings on campus: Tresidder Union, Meyer Library, and even the law school building.

Look, this is a totally subjective thing. If you think the Stanford campus is beautiful, that's great. (Really.) I just don't care for it. Still, its aesthetic issues aside, I wouldn't hesitate to go to Stanford law. It's an amazing school.

Wow, you spelled "Tresidder" right. Did you go to Stanford UG?

No. But I'm very familiar with the area. And, years ago, I had a job that involved being on the campus a lot.

As far as my aesthetic biases, I think part of the issue is that I've lived in California my whole life. I get tired of California architecture; I am more attracted to the classic look of the older East Coast campuses, like Cornell and Columbia (though the latter has perhaps the ugliest law school building in the United States). Still, none of this is very important to me. I mean, I'd pick Stanford over Harvard for law school, so I obviously like the school!

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:02 pm

Dignan wrote:
As far as my aesthetic biases, I think part of the issue is that I've lived in California my whole life. I get tired of California architecture; I am more attracted to the classic look of the older East Coast campuses, like Cornell and Columbia (though the latter has perhaps the ugliest law school building in the United States). Still, none of this is very important to me. I mean, I'd pick Stanford over Harvard for law school, so I obviously like the school!

You must like our dorm Roble then.

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:49 am

managamy wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Dignan wrote:There are just so many ugly buildings on campus: Tresidder Union, Meyer Library, and even the law school building.

Look, this is a totally subjective thing. If you think the Stanford campus is beautiful, that's great. (Really.) I just don't care for it. Still, its aesthetic issues aside, I wouldn't hesitate to go to Stanford law. It's an amazing school.

Luckily they are tearing down Meyer (supposedly). I agree that building is an eyesore.

Really? Didn't know about Meyer.

Meyer is pretty ugly... but I have so many good memories of it. It was my cozy study spot! (Easier to study there than in Green)

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:51 am

fidesverita wrote:
Meyer is pretty ugly... but I have so many good memories of it. It was my cozy study spot! (Easier to study there than in Green)

I like the Bender reading room on the fifth floor of Green's Bing Wing.

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:51 am

Dignan wrote:
crackberry wrote:

No. But I'm very familiar with the area. And, years ago, I had a job that involved being on the campus a lot.

If you've been in California your whole life (ditto here), then I totally understand. I wanted something different and loved the "older" campus look... so I fled to England for a year. Beautiful campuses! Needless to say, I got my fix for history, culture, museums, yadda yadda yadda... and came home. Now I'm good for another few years, I think.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:52 am

fidesverita wrote:Meyer is pretty ugly... but I have so many good memories of it. It was my cozy study spot! (Easier to study there than in Green)

Green basement >>>>> Meyer.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:53 am

managamy wrote:
fidesverita wrote:

leave it to fucking hugely endowed private schools to have a name for a room inside a wing inside a library. was the lamp you used named too?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:54 am

GargamelITT wrote:
managamy wrote:
fidesverita wrote:

leave it to fucking hugely endowed private schools to have a name for a room inside a wing inside a library. was the lamp you used named too?

It had a gold plaque with something on it, but I never read it.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:54 am

crackberry wrote:
fidesverita wrote:Meyer is pretty ugly... but I have so many good memories of it. It was my cozy study spot! (Easier to study there than in Green)

Green basement >>>>> Meyer.

Must be a different basement from the one that I know.

BTW, I love how this thread has been hijacked by former and current Stanford UGs, other than Gargamel.

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:55 am

managamy wrote:

Bender's gorgeous! But it's always crowded... and don't judge me, but it's just quicker and easier to get in and out of Meyer bottom floor and study (nothing pretty to distract me, and everyone just looked stressed out so it forced me to study).

I also loved studying in the law library. Did anyone else do that to soak in the awesomeness? (JK... sorta...)

GargamelITT wrote:

Ouch, you realize that UC Berkeley has 'named' rooms too, right? Public schools also have endowments...

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:57 am

Yes, you'd better hope that the elevator doesn't decide to break if you're trying to get from Bender to class. You'll catch up on your cardio while being sweaty and late after charging down the stairs.

I can't claim to have as much study-nook expertise, though, since I generally study in my apartment.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:58 am

fidesverita wrote:
Ouch, you realize that UC Berkeley has 'named' rooms too, right? Public schools also have endowments...

i dunno, i'm sure they've got a few, i still feel like naming rooms and pathways and rocks on a campus is largely a private school phenomenon

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:00 am

managamy wrote:
BTW, I love how this thread has been hijacked by former and current Stanford UGs, other than Gargamel.

lol, now i'm starting to feel unwelcome here, being away by about 3000 miles and a factor of 4 or 5 on the USNWR rankings

grrrstick

Postby grrrstick » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:03 am

GargamelITT wrote:
managamy wrote:

lol, now i'm starting to feel unwelcome here, being away by about 3000 miles and a factor of 4 or 5 on the USNWR rankings

I'm here too. Stanford has to let in a few of us non-alums, right? I'm A few hours south of there now, but went to HS in the bay. You could definitely do worse than a few years in Palo Alto.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:03 am

fidesverita wrote:
I also loved studying in the law library. Did anyone else do that to soak in the awesomeness? (JK... sorta...)

I used to love studying in the law library ... until they closed it to UGs sometime my junior year.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:09 am

grrrstick wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:
managamy wrote:

I'm here too. Stanford has to let in a few of us non-alums, right? I'm A few hours south of there now, but went to HS in the bay. You could definitely do worse than a few years in Palo Alto.

now i'm trying to figure out where you are. you said in the HLS thread you're at a "sports school," but a few hours south puts you squarely in central cal, so UCLA/USC are out of the running. fresno state, maybe? good football team there, but that's inland rather than south... cal poly?

hermione0901

Postby hermione0901 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:11 am

grrrstick wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:
managamy wrote:

How about those of us that have only visited the blessed bay and have been stuck in the midwest forever?? A little sympathy this way, dear Stanford? Get me out of here!

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:18 am

GargamelITT wrote:
now i'm trying to figure out where you are. you said in the HLS thread you're at a "sports school," but a few hours south puts you squarely in central cal, so UCLA/USC are out of the running. fresno state, maybe? good football team there, but that's inland rather than south... cal poly?

UCLA is a few hours away if you put the pedal to the metal going down I-5 at night. Not that I would ever do such a thing, of course. :P :lol:

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:22 am

managamy wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:

UCLA is a few hours away if you put the pedal to the metal going down I-5 at night. Not that I would ever do such a thing, of course. :P :lol:

You can get to LA in 5 1/2 hours!

And to all the non-Stanford UG people... don't feel unwelcome! Hopefully we'll all get to see each other next fall ;)

knola002

Postby knola002 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:26 am

Another non-Stanford UG here. Spent 6 years in the south Bay though, and would love to go back. If college has taught me anything, it is that NorCal>SoCal.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:28 am

fidesverita wrote:
managamy wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:

You can get to LA in 5 1/2 hours!

And to all the non-Stanford UG people... don't feel unwelcome! Hopefully we'll all get to see each other next fall ;)

4 1/2 or so if you're going at the dead of night and to the area where UCLA is, which lies before you get to the hopelessly tangled knot of freeways.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:32 am

knola002 wrote:Another non-Stanford UG here. Spent 6 years in the south Bay though, and would love to go back. If college has taught me anything, it is that NorCal>SoCal.

orly? gettin hella hyphy?

don't even get me started on this one.

edit: probably deserves its own thread. but norcal <<<<<<<<<< socal
Last edited by Lmao Zedong on Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:33 am

managamy wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:

this is not orange county the movie. LA is a solid 6 hours away, maybe 5 if you hustle within reason

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:36 am

GargamelITT wrote:
managamy wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:

this is not orange county the movie. LA is a solid 6 hours away, maybe 5 if you hustle within reason

I think the difference was in our definition of a "few," a very ambiguous word. To me 5 is a few.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:47 am

managamy wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:
managamy wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:

I think the difference was in our definition of a "few," a very ambiguous word. To me 5 is a few.

fair. it turns out he didn't go to college in CA at all, so the point ends being moot

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”