Stanford 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Dignan » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:53 pm

crackberry wrote:
Dignan wrote:There are just so many ugly buildings on campus: Tresidder Union, Meyer Library, and even the law school building.

Look, this is a totally subjective thing. If you think the Stanford campus is beautiful, that's great. (Really.) I just don't care for it. Still, its aesthetic issues aside, I wouldn't hesitate to go to Stanford law. It's an amazing school.

Wow, you spelled "Tresidder" right. Did you go to Stanford UG?

No. But I'm very familiar with the area. And, years ago, I had a job that involved being on the campus a lot.

As far as my aesthetic biases, I think part of the issue is that I've lived in California my whole life. I get tired of California architecture; I am more attracted to the classic look of the older East Coast campuses, like Cornell and Columbia (though the latter has perhaps the ugliest law school building in the United States). Still, none of this is very important to me. I mean, I'd pick Stanford over Harvard for law school, so I obviously like the school!

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:02 pm

Dignan wrote:
As far as my aesthetic biases, I think part of the issue is that I've lived in California my whole life. I get tired of California architecture; I am more attracted to the classic look of the older East Coast campuses, like Cornell and Columbia (though the latter has perhaps the ugliest law school building in the United States). Still, none of this is very important to me. I mean, I'd pick Stanford over Harvard for law school, so I obviously like the school!



You must like our dorm Roble then.

User avatar
fidesverita
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby fidesverita » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:49 am

managamy wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Dignan wrote:There are just so many ugly buildings on campus: Tresidder Union, Meyer Library, and even the law school building.

Look, this is a totally subjective thing. If you think the Stanford campus is beautiful, that's great. (Really.) I just don't care for it. Still, its aesthetic issues aside, I wouldn't hesitate to go to Stanford law. It's an amazing school.

Wow, you spelled "Tresidder" right. Did you go to Stanford UG?

Luckily they are tearing down Meyer (supposedly). I agree that building is an eyesore.


Really? Didn't know about Meyer.


Meyer is pretty ugly... but I have so many good memories of it. It was my cozy study spot! (Easier to study there than in Green)

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:51 am

fidesverita wrote:
Meyer is pretty ugly... but I have so many good memories of it. It was my cozy study spot! (Easier to study there than in Green)


I like the Bender reading room on the fifth floor of Green's Bing Wing.

User avatar
fidesverita
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby fidesverita » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:51 am

Dignan wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Dignan wrote:There are just so many ugly buildings on campus: Tresidder Union, Meyer Library, and even the law school building.

Look, this is a totally subjective thing. If you think the Stanford campus is beautiful, that's great. (Really.) I just don't care for it. Still, its aesthetic issues aside, I wouldn't hesitate to go to Stanford law. It's an amazing school.

Wow, you spelled "Tresidder" right. Did you go to Stanford UG?

No. But I'm very familiar with the area. And, years ago, I had a job that involved being on the campus a lot.

As far as my aesthetic biases, I think part of the issue is that I've lived in California my whole life. I get tired of California architecture; I am more attracted to the classic look of the older East Coast campuses, like Cornell and Columbia (though the latter has perhaps the ugliest law school building in the United States). Still, none of this is very important to me. I mean, I'd pick Stanford over Harvard for law school, so I obviously like the school!


If you've been in California your whole life (ditto here), then I totally understand. I wanted something different and loved the "older" campus look... so I fled to England for a year. Beautiful campuses! Needless to say, I got my fix for history, culture, museums, yadda yadda yadda... and came home. Now I'm good for another few years, I think.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby crackberry » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:52 am

fidesverita wrote:Meyer is pretty ugly... but I have so many good memories of it. It was my cozy study spot! (Easier to study there than in Green)

Green basement >>>>> Meyer.

User avatar
Lmao Zedong
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:10 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Lmao Zedong » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:53 am

managamy wrote:
fidesverita wrote:
Meyer is pretty ugly... but I have so many good memories of it. It was my cozy study spot! (Easier to study there than in Green)


I like the Bender reading room on the fifth floor of Green's Bing Wing.


leave it to fucking hugely endowed private schools to have a name for a room inside a wing inside a library. was the lamp you used named too?

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:54 am

GargamelITT wrote:
managamy wrote:
fidesverita wrote:
Meyer is pretty ugly... but I have so many good memories of it. It was my cozy study spot! (Easier to study there than in Green)


I like the Bender reading room on the fifth floor of Green's Bing Wing.


leave it to fucking hugely endowed private schools to have a name for a room inside a wing inside a library. was the lamp you used named too?


It had a gold plaque with something on it, but I never read it.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:54 am

crackberry wrote:
fidesverita wrote:Meyer is pretty ugly... but I have so many good memories of it. It was my cozy study spot! (Easier to study there than in Green)

Green basement >>>>> Meyer.


Must be a different basement from the one that I know.

BTW, I love how this thread has been hijacked by former and current Stanford UGs, other than Gargamel.

User avatar
fidesverita
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby fidesverita » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:55 am

managamy wrote:
I like the Bender reading room on the fifth floor of Green's Bing Wing.


Bender's gorgeous! But it's always crowded... and don't judge me, but it's just quicker and easier to get in and out of Meyer bottom floor and study (nothing pretty to distract me, and everyone just looked stressed out so it forced me to study).

I also loved studying in the law library. Did anyone else do that to soak in the awesomeness? (JK... sorta...)

GargamelITT wrote:
leave it to fucking hugely endowed private schools to have a name for a room inside a wing inside a library. was the lamp you used named too?


Ouch, you realize that UC Berkeley has 'named' rooms too, right? Public schools also have endowments...

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:57 am

Yes, you'd better hope that the elevator doesn't decide to break if you're trying to get from Bender to class. You'll catch up on your cardio while being sweaty and late after charging down the stairs.

I can't claim to have as much study-nook expertise, though, since I generally study in my apartment.

User avatar
Lmao Zedong
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:10 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Lmao Zedong » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:58 am

fidesverita wrote:
Ouch, you realize that UC Berkeley has 'named' rooms too, right? Public schools also have endowments...

i dunno, i'm sure they've got a few, i still feel like naming rooms and pathways and rocks on a campus is largely a private school phenomenon

User avatar
Lmao Zedong
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:10 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Lmao Zedong » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:00 am

managamy wrote:
BTW, I love how this thread has been hijacked by former and current Stanford UGs, other than Gargamel.

lol, now i'm starting to feel unwelcome here, being away by about 3000 miles and a factor of 4 or 5 on the USNWR rankings

User avatar
grrrstick
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:58 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby grrrstick » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:03 am

GargamelITT wrote:
managamy wrote:
BTW, I love how this thread has been hijacked by former and current Stanford UGs, other than Gargamel.

lol, now i'm starting to feel unwelcome here, being away by about 3000 miles and a factor of 4 or 5 on the USNWR rankings


I'm here too. Stanford has to let in a few of us non-alums, right? I'm A few hours south of there now, but went to HS in the bay. You could definitely do worse than a few years in Palo Alto.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby crackberry » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:03 am

fidesverita wrote:
I also loved studying in the law library. Did anyone else do that to soak in the awesomeness? (JK... sorta...)

I used to love studying in the law library ... until they closed it to UGs sometime my junior year.

User avatar
Lmao Zedong
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:10 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Lmao Zedong » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:09 am

grrrstick wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:
managamy wrote:
BTW, I love how this thread has been hijacked by former and current Stanford UGs, other than Gargamel.

lol, now i'm starting to feel unwelcome here, being away by about 3000 miles and a factor of 4 or 5 on the USNWR rankings


I'm here too. Stanford has to let in a few of us non-alums, right? I'm A few hours south of there now, but went to HS in the bay. You could definitely do worse than a few years in Palo Alto.


now i'm trying to figure out where you are. you said in the HLS thread you're at a "sports school," but a few hours south puts you squarely in central cal, so UCLA/USC are out of the running. fresno state, maybe? good football team there, but that's inland rather than south... cal poly?

hermione0901
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:49 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby hermione0901 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:11 am

grrrstick wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:
managamy wrote:
BTW, I love how this thread has been hijacked by former and current Stanford UGs, other than Gargamel.

lol, now i'm starting to feel unwelcome here, being away by about 3000 miles and a factor of 4 or 5 on the USNWR rankings


I'm here too. Stanford has to let in a few of us non-alums, right? I'm A few hours south of there now, but went to HS in the bay. You could definitely do worse than a few years in Palo Alto.



How about those of us that have only visited the blessed bay and have been stuck in the midwest forever?? A little sympathy this way, dear Stanford? Get me out of here!

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:18 am

GargamelITT wrote:
now i'm trying to figure out where you are. you said in the HLS thread you're at a "sports school," but a few hours south puts you squarely in central cal, so UCLA/USC are out of the running. fresno state, maybe? good football team there, but that's inland rather than south... cal poly?


UCLA is a few hours away if you put the pedal to the metal going down I-5 at night. Not that I would ever do such a thing, of course. :P :lol:

User avatar
fidesverita
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby fidesverita » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:22 am

managamy wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:
now i'm trying to figure out where you are. you said in the HLS thread you're at a "sports school," but a few hours south puts you squarely in central cal, so UCLA/USC are out of the running. fresno state, maybe? good football team there, but that's inland rather than south... cal poly?


UCLA is a few hours away if you put the pedal to the metal going down I-5 at night. Not that I would ever do such a thing, of course. :P :lol:


You can get to LA in 5 1/2 hours!

And to all the non-Stanford UG people... don't feel unwelcome! Hopefully we'll all get to see each other next fall ;)

knola002
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:36 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby knola002 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:26 am

Another non-Stanford UG here. Spent 6 years in the south Bay though, and would love to go back. If college has taught me anything, it is that NorCal>SoCal.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:28 am

fidesverita wrote:
managamy wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:
now i'm trying to figure out where you are. you said in the HLS thread you're at a "sports school," but a few hours south puts you squarely in central cal, so UCLA/USC are out of the running. fresno state, maybe? good football team there, but that's inland rather than south... cal poly?


UCLA is a few hours away if you put the pedal to the metal going down I-5 at night. Not that I would ever do such a thing, of course. :P :lol:


You can get to LA in 5 1/2 hours!

And to all the non-Stanford UG people... don't feel unwelcome! Hopefully we'll all get to see each other next fall ;)


4 1/2 or so if you're going at the dead of night and to the area where UCLA is, which lies before you get to the hopelessly tangled knot of freeways.

User avatar
Lmao Zedong
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:10 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Lmao Zedong » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:32 am

knola002 wrote:Another non-Stanford UG here. Spent 6 years in the south Bay though, and would love to go back. If college has taught me anything, it is that NorCal>SoCal.

orly? gettin hella hyphy?

don't even get me started on this one.

edit: probably deserves its own thread. but norcal <<<<<<<<<< socal
Last edited by Lmao Zedong on Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lmao Zedong
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:10 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Lmao Zedong » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:33 am

managamy wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:
now i'm trying to figure out where you are. you said in the HLS thread you're at a "sports school," but a few hours south puts you squarely in central cal, so UCLA/USC are out of the running. fresno state, maybe? good football team there, but that's inland rather than south... cal poly?


UCLA is a few hours away if you put the pedal to the metal going down I-5 at night. Not that I would ever do such a thing, of course. :P :lol:


this is not orange county the movie. LA is a solid 6 hours away, maybe 5 if you hustle within reason

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:36 am

GargamelITT wrote:
managamy wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:
now i'm trying to figure out where you are. you said in the HLS thread you're at a "sports school," but a few hours south puts you squarely in central cal, so UCLA/USC are out of the running. fresno state, maybe? good football team there, but that's inland rather than south... cal poly?


UCLA is a few hours away if you put the pedal to the metal going down I-5 at night. Not that I would ever do such a thing, of course. :P :lol:


this is not orange county the movie. LA is a solid 6 hours away, maybe 5 if you hustle within reason


I think the difference was in our definition of a "few," a very ambiguous word. To me 5 is a few.

User avatar
Lmao Zedong
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:10 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Lmao Zedong » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:47 am

managamy wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:
managamy wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:
now i'm trying to figure out where you are. you said in the HLS thread you're at a "sports school," but a few hours south puts you squarely in central cal, so UCLA/USC are out of the running. fresno state, maybe? good football team there, but that's inland rather than south... cal poly?


UCLA is a few hours away if you put the pedal to the metal going down I-5 at night. Not that I would ever do such a thing, of course. :P :lol:


this is not orange county the movie. LA is a solid 6 hours away, maybe 5 if you hustle within reason


I think the difference was in our definition of a "few," a very ambiguous word. To me 5 is a few.


fair. it turns out he didn't go to college in CA at all, so the point ends being moot




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dala77, Thomas Hagan, ESQ. and 9 guests