Stanford 2010!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pomegranate

New

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Post by pomegranate » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:51 pm

I'm really looking forward to the Admit Weekend!!

Does anyone want to share a room on Saturday, April 17th? I've already reserved a hotel room. Sorry guys... I'd only like to share with a woman. Please PM me if you are interested!

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:57 pm

pomegranate wrote:I'm really looking forward to the Admit Weekend!!

Does anyone want to share a room on Saturday, April 17th? I've already reserved a hotel room. Sorry guys... I'd only like to share with a woman. Please PM me if you are interested!
I think you're looking for this thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=650

XP

pomegranate

New

Post by pomegranate » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:01 am

thanks

pleasepickme

Bronze

Post by pleasepickme » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:31 am

Dear Dean Deal,

PLEASE tell me what you're doing with me. You hold my future in your hands. Please please please just give it back to me, crushed, in tact, or mangled a little. I need to move on with my life, and to do that, I need closure from you. Please call. Or write. Or anything....

CaliforniaDude510

New

Post by CaliforniaDude510 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:26 am

Okay, I know this post will be extremely unpopular and I apologize in advance for sounding like a complete dbag. I promise, I'm not - I have a compelling family reason for needing to stay in California.

I'm trying to think of a non-toolbag way of letting SLS know that a) Stanford is my first choice and b) I've been admitted to Yale and probably give up my spot there to go to SLS. I think I got into YLS on my softs since I haven't heard from SLS or HLS, and I have no idea how to write this letter. Any ideas?

Ugh, I feel like an @$$hole for even posting this. Sorry.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:30 am

CaliforniaDude510 wrote:Okay, I know this post will be extremely unpopular and I apologize in advance for sounding like a complete dbag. I promise, I'm not - I have a compelling family reason for needing to stay in California.

I'm trying to think of a non-toolbag way of letting SLS know that a) Stanford is my first choice and b) I've been admitted to Yale and probably give up my spot there to go to SLS. I think I got into YLS on my softs since I haven't heard from SLS or HLS, and I have no idea how to write this letter. Any ideas?

Ugh, I feel like an @$$hole for even posting this. Sorry.

lol hun, chill - it's called a LOCI (letter of continuing interest) and it's not toolish in the least to write one. I'm not a great authority on what a good LOCI sounds like but I'd be happy to look one over if you PM it and i'm sure others in the thread would as well. :)

Basically just write something short and sweet along the lines of "dear dean deal, im writing to reiterate my continuing interest in attending stanford, i love stanford for these reasons, i have these compelling personal reasons for wanting to stay in cali, here are some things that have improved about me since i applied (if applicable - new GPA/improved softs/new job/cool thing you've been working on..that kind of thing), and i plan on immediately withdrawing my acceptances at other law schools if i am admitted to stanford, love, californiadude510"

Unclear if you should mention that you got into Yale by name - i'll leave that up to other posters ;)

good luck!

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:01 am

If I got into Yale, I'd mention it.

smov_operator

Bronze

Post by smov_operator » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:03 am

existenz wrote:If I got into Yale, I'd mention it.
I'd DEFINITELY mention it.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:06 am

Kronk wrote:Roommate found key and I'm out. Ouch.

: / Sorry Kronk

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:44 am

smov_operator wrote:
I'd write the LOCI, but I wouldn't mention your Yale acceptance. If you mention a HYS acceptance when writing to a different HYS school, I think you run the risk of annoying the adcomm. It's tough to avoid implying: "Well, Yale accepted me, so you should too." Even if you don't mean that, it can come off that way.

On the other hand, I got rejected by Stanford, so you probably shouldn't trust my judgement on matters concerning the SLS admissions office.

smov_operator

Bronze

Post by smov_operator » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:48 am

Dignan wrote:
smov_operator wrote:
I'd write the LOCI, but I wouldn't mention your Yale acceptance. If you mention a HYS acceptance when writing to a different HYS school, I think you run the risk of annoying the adcomm. It's tough to avoid implying: "Well, Yale accepted me, so you should too." Even if you don't mean that, it can come off that way.

On the other hand, I got rejected by Stanford, so you probably shouldn't trust my judgement on matters concerning the SLS admissions office.
Haha I see your point. But I think it can be eloquently done, as long as he expresses that prefers Stanford over Yale. If not, then it probably would irk Adcomm.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:59 am

Just a general note about LOCIs: from what I've heard, Stanford takes them very seriously. I went to an event with the admissions deans from SLS, NYU, Cornell and Duke (you may have as well, they were touring), and Dean Deal hammered home more than anyone the importance of "staying in contact." She put it in the context of a kind of conversation. This is probably counterintuitive given how little Stanford keeps up its end of the "conversation," but is worth noting for those of you thinking of sending a LOCI, or wondering what kind of angle to take. She even left the door open for more than one if you've been waiting for awhile--she probably said "stay in touch," at least four times. Anecdotally, I have a friend who got off the waitlist in August after sending in more than one substantive LOCI.

As to the specific question at hand, my advice is to stress your interest in Stanford but lay off mentioning Yale. The fact of the matter is, many, many, many people are going to be writing that Stanford is their first choice one way or another, so the potential upside is small, while the potential downside of coming off as presumptuous, as others have mentioned, is prohibitive. Just think about all of the other people who might be waitlisted--how can you set yourself apart?

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:01 am

ConMan345 wrote:Just a general note about LOCIs: from what I've heard, Stanford takes them very seriously. I went to an event with the admissions deans from SLS, NYU, Cornell and Duke (you may have as well, they were touring), and Dean Deal hammered home more than anyone the importance of "staying in contact." She put it in the context of a kind of conversation. This is probably counterintuitive given how little Stanford keeps up its end of the "conversation," but is worth noting for those of you thinking of sending or a LOCI, or wondering what kind of angle to take. She even left the door open for more than one if you've been waiting for awhile--she probably said "stay in touch," at least four times. Anecdotally, I have a friend who got off the waitlist in August after sending in more than one substantive LOCI.

As to teh specific question at hand, my advice is to stress your interest in Stanford but lay off mentioning Yale. The fact of the matter is, many, many, many people are going to be writing that Stanford is their first choice one way or another, so the potential upside is small, while the potential downside of coming off as presumptuous, as others have mentioned, is prohibitive. Just think about all of the other people who might be waitlisted--how can you set yourself apart?
Couldn't agree more.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:01 am

ConMan345 wrote:Just a general note about LOCIs: from what I've heard, Stanford takes them very seriously. I went to an event with the admissions deans from SLS, NYU, Cornell and Duke (you may have as well, they were touring), and Dean Deal hammered home more than anyone the importance of "staying in contact." She put it in the context of a kind of conversation. This is probably counterintuitive given how little Stanford keeps up its end of the "conversation," but is worth noting for those of you thinking of sending a LOCI, or wondering what kind of angle to take. She even left the door open for more than one if you've been waiting for awhile--she probably said "stay in touch," at least four times. Anecdotally, I have a friend who got off the waitlist in August after sending in more than one substantive LOCI.

As to the specific question at hand, my advice is to stress your interest in Stanford but lay off mentioning Yale. The fact of the matter is, many, many, many people are going to be writing that Stanford is their first choice one way or another, so the potential upside is small, while the potential downside of coming off as presumptuous, as others have mentioned, is prohibitive. Just think about all of the other people who might be waitlisted--how can you set yourself apart?
Glad to hear it. I wrote 2 LOCIs, so we'll see how that plays out...

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:27 pm

Well I've survived another day of mail without a rejection letter...

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:31 pm

How long have you guys made your LOCIs? This is my first communication with SLS in 5 months, and I didn't submit a "Why Stanford" or anything like that, so my draft has come out pretty long, almost 800 words. Too much? Would anyone care to look it over after I get it a little more finished?

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:38 pm

emrose wrote:How long have you guys made your LOCIs? This is my first communication with SLS in 5 months, and I didn't submit a "Why Stanford" or anything like that, so my draft has come out pretty long, almost 800 words. Too much? Would anyone care to look it over after I get it a little more finished?
Is it a mixture of substantive updates about you along with a "why SLS" component, or mostly you saying how much you love Stanford? If it's the former, I'd say 1.5 pages single spaced is fine. The latter I'd try and keep to a page.

I'd be happy to read it for you!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:03 pm

Missed a call from an unknown number about an hour ago, but no email from Dean Deal... *frets*

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:04 pm

nixxers wrote:Missed a call from an unknown number about an hour ago, but no email from Dean Deal... *frets*
nixxers! I hope it is good news. Surely it could take them a while to send out the email.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:05 pm

nixxers wrote:Missed a call from an unknown number about an hour ago, but no email from Dean Deal... *frets*
Oooooh, good luck, I hope it's good news!

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:10 pm

Kretzy wrote:
+1!

Also, I'm thinking of hand delivering my LOCI next week. Good/bad idea?

Edit - and by next week I mean this week :oops:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

buzal3

New

Post by buzal3 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:19 pm

This is a first post. Tried to avoid contributing while still relying on these threads but I gotta get in on the fun before it's over.

I got a missed call at 8:45am PST too and am wondering who that couldve been seeing that I haven't received an email or a voice message or anything....

theadw

Bronze

Post by theadw » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:25 pm

Amelie wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
+1!

I wouldn't, as SLS uses the paperless option from LSAC.

ProudFather

New

Post by ProudFather » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:25 pm

Amelie wrote:

Dean Deal was very friendly when I stopped by a few weeks ago. I can't imagine that giving a face to your application could hurt.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:27 pm

ConMan345 wrote: The fact of the matter is, many, many, many people are going to be writing that Stanford is their first choice one way or another, so the potential upside is small, while the potential downside of coming off as presumptuous, as others have mentioned, is prohibitive. Just think about all of the other people who might be waitlisted--how can you set yourself apart?
This is true, but how many of those people writing Stanford have a Yale acceptance in their back pocket?

I think you'd be somewhat crazy to not say something like "I have been accepted to some great schools like Yale, but I really want to attend Stanford." (Obviously, more formal).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”