Stanford 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
WhiskeyGuy

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:18 am

CardinalRules wrote:
RealTalk wrote:does Stanford send an email to admits before they call to accept them?

or do they just call you and if you do miss the call how will you know when your accepted?

thx

Faye will call you; if you don't pick up, she sends you an email.

What is an independence test??

It's a one-page form that asks about the financial assistance you've received from your parents and when they have claimed you as a dependent. They snail mailed the form to me a couple of weeks after I was accepted.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:26 am

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:
RealTalk wrote:does Stanford send an email to admits before they call to accept them?

or do they just call you and if you do miss the call how will you know when your accepted?

thx

It's a one-page form that asks about the financial assistance you've received from your parents and when they have claimed you as a dependent. They snail mailed the form to me a couple of weeks after I was accepted.

Huh, I never got it?

Herb Watchfell

Postby Herb Watchfell » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:28 am

CardinalRules wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:

thx

Huh, I never got it?

ex post facto DING!

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:30 am

Herb Watchfell wrote:
ex post facto DING!

For whom does the bell toll? It tolls for thee, Herb. Ding dang dong. :lol:

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:32 am

CardinalRules wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:

thx

Huh, I never got it?

Maybe they had a reason not to send it to you. You can access it on the admitted student website though. Go to the main page and then click Apply for Financial Aid.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:34 am

WhiskeyGuy wrote:Maybe they had a reason not to send it to you. You can access it on the admitted student website though. Go to the main page and then click Apply for Financial Aid.

Yup, just do it online. From what I understand, though, only FAFSA is necessary if you are applying solely for loans.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:35 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:Maybe they had a reason not to send it to you. You can access it on the admitted student website though. Go to the main page and then click Apply for Financial Aid.

Yup, just do it online. From what I understand, though, only FAFSA is necessary if you are applying solely for loans.

I'm not applying for loans or anything. Do I still need to fill it out?

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:37 am

CardinalRules wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:

So not applying for financial aid at all? Then no.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:38 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:

So not applying for financial aid at all? Then no.

OK, great; thanks for clearing up the uncertainty! I'm glad to know that I'm not missing something in the paperwork.

runrabbit

Postby runrabbit » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:33 pm

I'm sure this has been covered before, but since this forum's search function ain't so great, I have two questions:

1) When will Stanford move on what's left of its applications? I went complete in November, called up the office last week, and all I heard was that they've yet to render a decision about me. Early April? Late April? What's the latest that I can expect to hear?

2) I'm worried that I will be required to submit a deposit to another school before I hear back from Stanford. Stanford, however, is my first choice. Would Stanford be sympathetic to this situation and be willing to expedite a decision?

Thanks

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:19 pm

runrabbit wrote:I'm sure this has been covered before, but since this forum's search function ain't so great, I have two questions:

1) When will Stanford move on what's left of its applications? I went complete in November, called up the office last week, and all I heard was that they've yet to render a decision about me. Early April? Late April? What's the latest that I can expect to hear?

2) I'm worried that I will be required to submit a deposit to another school before I hear back from Stanford. Stanford, however, is my first choice. Would Stanford be sympathetic to this situation and be willing to expedite a decision?

Thanks

I wouldn't ask any school to expedite their decision on your application. Put down a deposit at another school and then eat that cost if you are later admitted to Stanford.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:25 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
runrabbit wrote:I'm sure this has been covered before, but since this forum's search function ain't so great, I have two questions:

Thanks

I wouldn't ask any school to expedite their decision on your application. Put down a deposit at another school and then eat that cost if you are later admitted to Stanford.

+1. Only ask a school if you don't really care and just want to close the book on them.

runrabbit

Postby runrabbit » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:46 pm

Thing is, I intend to defer for a year, and the deferment agreement from the school to which I've already been accepted requires me to sign that "I am not now holding a place at any other law school, and I will not accept a place at another law school.

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:52 pm

can you put down a deposit and wait to defer until you hear from SLS? or is the deadline the same?

pleasepickme

Postby pleasepickme » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:04 pm

Thanks

I heard stories at HLS and CLS ASWs of students who applied last year not hearing anything until June, at which point they were waitlisted. That is my nightmare scenario as well, because I am in, basically, the exact same situation as you are.

existenz

Postby existenz » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:17 pm

lawyering wrote:can you put down a deposit and wait to defer until you hear from SLS? or is the deadline the same?

+1

If you have a hard deferment deadline (say, May 1st) then that would be a good reason to go ahead and explain your situation to Stanford. That said, I've seen LSN profiles from previous cycles where people told SLS of impending deadlines but received the same "We'll get to you when we get to you" response. Most often, they got a WL or rejection after the deadline had passed.

Core

Postby Core » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:38 pm

existenz wrote:
lawyering wrote:can you put down a deposit and wait to defer until you hear from SLS? or is the deadline the same?

+1

If you have a hard deferment deadline (say, May 1st) then that would be a good reason to go ahead and explain your situation to Stanford. That said, I've seen LSN profiles from previous cycles where people told SLS of impending deadlines but received the same "We'll get to you when we get to you" response. Most often, they got a WL or rejection after the deadline had passed.

SLS should be dealing out the remaining decisions in the next 2-3 weeks, so if you have a May deadline, I wouldn't pester them.

runrabbit

Postby runrabbit » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:32 am

On what authority do you know that?

existenz

Postby existenz » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:36 am

Core wrote:SLS should be dealing out the remaining decisions in the next 2-3 weeks, so if you have a May deadline, I wouldn't pester them.

"Should" does not mean "will".

protokurios

Postby protokurios » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:41 am

When I sent them an update to my application 2 weeks ago, they replied by saying most of the decisions will be sent out by April 30. Last year's LSN data reflect similar timing.

adameus

Postby adameus » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:23 pm

yeah it looks like last year they sent out all admits by april 16th or so and then notified everyone else of a rejection or waitlist by the end of april.

ProudFather

Postby ProudFather » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:17 pm

So I submitted another LOR last week to LSAC targeted at Stanford. Anybody know if I need to contact SLS directly, or do they just automatically update my application after receiving the LOR from LSAC?

existenz

Postby existenz » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:27 pm

ProudFather wrote:So I submitted another LOR last week to LSAC targeted at Stanford. Anybody know if I need to contact SLS directly, or do they just automatically update my application after receiving the LOR from LSAC?

If you directed LSAC to send it to Stanford, Stanford will update your file. I don't think they sit on new LORs until the applicant calls to say "Please include it."

ProudFather

Postby ProudFather » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:43 pm

existenz wrote:
ProudFather wrote:So I submitted another LOR last week to LSAC targeted at Stanford. Anybody know if I need to contact SLS directly, or do they just automatically update my application after receiving the LOR from LSAC?

If you directed LSAC to send it to Stanford, Stanford will update your file. I don't think they sit on new LORs until the applicant calls to say "Please include it."

Yeah, that's basically what I assumed. I just wasn't sure if I should offer some sort of explanation as to why I was adding another LOR.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:44 pm

Damn it, got my rejection letter in the mail today. I'm sad that they didn't even want to waitlist me. I just experienced a possibly career-ending rugby injury in a game yesterday too, this is lame. Good luck, everybody else.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”