Stanford 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby crackberry » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:18 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
crackberry wrote:
JohnnyTrojan08 wrote:Writing post to appear to "assume acceptance" FTW. :oops:

But what I meant was that if I get rejected, then I can compare Harvard with nothing. And then it looks pretty darn good. :wink:

And if I get accepted, then I can start actually comparing. As we Trojans can say frequently: a good problem to have.

Need I remind you what the Trojans' record is against the Cardinal the last three years?

The Trojans' record against unwanted pregnancies is pretty solid, though.

So much less important it hardly even merits mention. The Bears, on the other hand, have been owned by USC as of late, no?

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:20 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
crackberry wrote:
JohnnyTrojan08 wrote:Writing post to appear to "assume acceptance" FTW. :oops:

But what I meant was that if I get rejected, then I can compare Harvard with nothing. And then it looks pretty darn good. :wink:

And if I get accepted, then I can start actually comparing. As we Trojans can say frequently: a good problem to have.

Need I remind you what the Trojans' record is against the Cardinal the last three years?

The Trojans' record against unwanted pregnancies is pretty solid, though.


It's an impressive achievement, since the girls there are amazing. :)

Their record against hollowed-out horses could use some improvement.

User avatar
JohnnyTrojan08
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby JohnnyTrojan08 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:29 pm

I love how every time I try and post a serious topic/question, it turns into a brief discussion/bash of USC.

Crack = troll. Love ya anyway.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby crackberry » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:30 pm

JohnnyTrojan08 wrote:I love how every time I try and post a serious topic/question, it turns into a brief discussion/bash of USC.

Crack = troll. Love ya anyway.

Haha, well to be fair, I do not try to hide the fact that I am a huge Stanford fan. I don't really think "troll" is the right word for what I am.

Anyway, I think you should definitely update SLS about your accomplishments.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:31 pm

JohnnyTrojan08 wrote:I love how every time I try and post a serious topic/question, it turns into a brief discussion/bash of USC.

Crack = troll. Love ya anyway.


I like USC (and Trojans) too, to be honest, so no worries. :wink: California schools FTW.

And do update them, of course.
Last edited by CardinalRules on Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby BioEBear2010 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:31 pm

JohnnyTrojan08 wrote:I love how every time I try and post a serious topic/question, it turns into a brief discussion/bash of USC.

Crack = troll. Love ya anyway.

You just happened to run into the Bay Area wall of hate.

But I agree with Crack -- update them :D

User avatar
JohnnyTrojan08
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby JohnnyTrojan08 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:39 pm

I guess I'm so far removed from undergrad that I've forgotten the bitter partisanship of the Pac 10.

Then again, during my time at USC, we were repeat champs and never, EVER lost to Stanford. So it wasn't even a topic of conversation. It'd be a bigger deal if I'd had to deal with the losses (or from Crack's perspective, wins).

Is there any reason I should NOT include a LOCI, or are you merely suggesting it would be unneeded?

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby crackberry » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

JohnnyTrojan08 wrote:I guess I'm so far removed from undergrad that I've forgotten the bitter partisanship of the Pac 10.

Then again, during my time at USC, we were repeat champs and never, EVER lost to Stanford. So it wasn't even a topic of conversation. It'd be a bigger deal if I'd had to deal with the losses (or from Crack's perspective, wins).

Is there any reason I should NOT include a LOCI, or are you merely suggesting it would be unneeded?

If you have meaningful updates to your file (which you do), it would be foolish not to update SLS with them.

User avatar
JohnnyTrojan08
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby JohnnyTrojan08 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:50 pm

crackberry wrote:If you have meaningful updates to your file (which you do), it would be foolish not to update SLS with them.


I think you misunderstand. My original question was whether I should send a LOCI WITH the resume update, and then CardinalRules suggested that I didn't need a LETTER because I've only been under review for less than a month. So I was wondering if a LOCI would be seen as a negative, since I'd be sending in an updated resume anyway.

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby BioEBear2010 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:51 pm

JohnnyTrojan08 wrote:
crackberry wrote:If you have meaningful updates to your file (which you do), it would be foolish not to update SLS with them.


I think you misunderstand. My original question was whether I should send a LOCI WITH the resume update, and then CardinalRules suggested that I didn't need a LETTER because I've only been under review for less than a month. So I was wondering if a LOCI would be seen as a negative, since I'd be sending in an updated resume anyway.

I would send the LOCI anyway, especially if SLS is your top choice. It shows more interest in the school than a simple resume drop.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby crackberry » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:55 pm

JohnnyTrojan08 wrote:
crackberry wrote:If you have meaningful updates to your file (which you do), it would be foolish not to update SLS with them.


I think you misunderstand. My original question was whether I should send a LOCI WITH the resume update, and then CardinalRules suggested that I didn't need a LETTER because I've only been under review for less than a month. So I was wondering if a LOCI would be seen as a negative, since I'd be sending in an updated resume anyway.

Ohh I see. I would use the resume drop as an excuse to reiterate your interest in the school with a LOCI.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:01 pm

JohnnyTrojan08 wrote:I guess I'm so far removed from undergrad that I've forgotten the bitter partisanship of the Pac 10.

Then again, during my time at USC, we were repeat champs and never, EVER lost to Stanford. So it wasn't even a topic of conversation. It'd be a bigger deal if I'd had to deal with the losses (or from Crack's perspective, wins).

Is there any reason I should NOT include a LOCI, or are you merely suggesting it would be unneeded?


I was just saying that it wasn't really necessary, but if you want to and have the time to devote the effort, there's nothing wrong with it. It's just that you shouldn't really be worried about your chances simply because you haven't heard from them by now.

User avatar
WhiskeyGuy
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:17 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:
JohnnyTrojan08 wrote:
crackberry wrote:If you have meaningful updates to your file (which you do), it would be foolish not to update SLS with them.


I think you misunderstand. My original question was whether I should send a LOCI WITH the resume update, and then CardinalRules suggested that I didn't need a LETTER because I've only been under review for less than a month. So I was wondering if a LOCI would be seen as a negative, since I'd be sending in an updated resume anyway.

I would send the LOCI anyway, especially if SLS is your top choice. It shows more interest in the school than a simple resume drop.


Agreed. It sounds like you have not communicated to SLS that SLS is your top choice (or at least that you really want to attend). I'd do it right by sending a LOCI.

User avatar
parker09
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:15 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby parker09 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:26 am

"Dear Dean Deal" looks funny.

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby BenJ » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:42 am

parker09 wrote:"Dear Dean Deal" looks funny.


I know. Awkward. She needs to change her name :lol:

User avatar
parker09
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:15 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby parker09 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:05 pm

Haven't heard anything since I went complete in like October, so sent a LOCI via email (in body and as pdf attachment) that would have been sitting in their inbox this morning; just got an email acknowledgment that they will add it to my file.

Now just... 1+ more months of waiting for the inevitable rejection, to bring the grand total up to 5+ months. Whee!

User avatar
Sakura3210
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:29 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Sakura3210 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:54 pm

Ugh, I just got some feedback that my LOCI to Stanford was apparently not great. :cry: That can't negatively affect me, right? It just won't help too much? please let this be the case...
Last edited by Sakura3210 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Herb Watchfell
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Herb Watchfell » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:57 pm

Sakura3210 wrote:Ugh, I just got some feedback that my LOCI to Stanford was apparently not great. :cry: That can't negatively affect me, right? It just won't help too much? please let this be the case...


Well, it depends.

Who gave you this "feedback"? A friend? A professor? Faye Deal?

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby invisiblesun » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:59 pm

Herb Watchfell wrote:
Sakura3210 wrote:Ugh, I just got some feedback that my LOCI to Stanford was apparently not great. :cry: That can't negatively affect me, right? It just won't help too much? please let this be the case...


Well, it depends.

Who gave you this "feedback"? A friend? A professor? Faye Deal?


If the feedback was from the SLS admissions office I'd say it probably negatively affects you...

BenJ wrote:
parker09 wrote:"Dear Dean Deal" looks funny.


I know. Awkward. She needs to change her name :lol:


I wonder if there has ever been a dean whose last name was Dean...

User avatar
Sakura3210
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:29 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Sakura3210 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:59 pm

Herb Watchfell wrote:
Sakura3210 wrote:Ugh, I just got some feedback that my LOCI to Stanford was apparently not great. :cry: That can't negatively affect me, right? It just won't help too much? please let this be the case...


Well, it depends.

Who gave you this "feedback"? A friend? A professor? Faye Deal?


Pre-law advisor at my undergrad uni.

I wonder if there has ever been a dean whose last name was Dean...


Actually, I knew one - it was pretty weird.

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby invisiblesun » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:06 pm

Sakura3210 wrote:
Herb Watchfell wrote:
Sakura3210 wrote:Ugh, I just got some feedback that my LOCI to Stanford was apparently not great. :cry: That can't negatively affect me, right? It just won't help too much? please let this be the case...


Well, it depends.

Who gave you this "feedback"? A friend? A professor? Faye Deal?


Pre-law advisor at my undergrad uni.


Hard to say- some prelaw advisors give terrible advice. For example, one told me that once you got beyond a certain point on LSAT and GPA, it was all about softs, and told me not to retake my 171 since it was a 98th percentile score. (My GPA is a mid 3.8 so it's not like I was at a GPA point where a retake wouldn't have helped prospects much.)

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby BioEBear2010 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:06 pm

Sakura3210 wrote:Pre-law advisor at my undergrad uni.

I wouldn't worry too much. I sent my PS off to a pre-law advisor, and she thought it was terrible. I thought it was alright, so I sent it off anyway, with pretty positive results.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28174
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Kronk » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:08 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
Sakura3210 wrote:Pre-law advisor at my undergrad uni.

I wouldn't worry too much. I sent my PS off to a pre-law advisor, and she thought it was terrible. I thought it was alright, so I sent it off anyway, with pretty positive results.


Understatement of the cycle.

User avatar
Sakura3210
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:29 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Sakura3210 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:13 pm

Kronk wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:
Sakura3210 wrote:Pre-law advisor at my undergrad uni.

I wouldn't worry too much. I sent my PS off to a pre-law advisor, and she thought it was terrible. I thought it was alright, so I sent it off anyway, with pretty positive results.


Understatement of the cycle.


No kidding. :D Thanks Bio, knowing how things panned out well for you makes me feel a lot better. :)

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby BioEBear2010 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:16 pm

Sakura3210 wrote:
Kronk wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:
Sakura3210 wrote:Pre-law advisor at my undergrad uni.

I wouldn't worry too much. I sent my PS off to a pre-law advisor, and she thought it was terrible. I thought it was alright, so I sent it off anyway, with pretty positive results.


Understatement of the cycle.


No kidding. :D Thanks Bio, knowing how things panned out well for you makes me feel a lot better. :)

Haha, thanks guys. Seriously, though, I wouldn't worry about it. Also, now that it's out of your hands, there's really no point fretting over it!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mccracal, mm2368 and 7 guests