Stanford 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
5ky

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby 5ky » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:15 pm

Last edited by 5ky on Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:16 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:Are Asian girls over-represented in law schools in general?

Yes, and especially at California law schools.

georgina

Postby georgina » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:25 pm

5ky wrote:This is getting weird.

+1.

georgina

Postby georgina » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:44 pm

... so you guys think the first wave of decisions will come out at the end this week like with YLS?

alleyoop86

Postby alleyoop86 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:47 pm

Last edited by alleyoop86 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:17 pm

crackberry wrote:

+a lot. Better write a "why Stanford" addendum explaining your special reason for desperately wanting to attend.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:23 pm

anyone up for aimless speculation re: the new index that SLS is supposedly rolling out this year? i don't have a link/source, but i read somewhere that they've altered their index to place more relative weight on LSAT. do we think this is going to change the profile of the new class appreciably, or not so much?

i agree with the sentiment expressed a couple pages ago that SLS is perfectly capable of raising its LSAT median if it so chooses. maybe they're looking to bump it up a point (or even two) this year?

i confess i've got a big vested interest in this myself (GPA near 25th, LSAT well above 75th). i don't figure myself for much of a shot at stanford, given their reputation for emphasis on GPA. any chance that changes this year?

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:26 pm

managamy wrote:
crackberry wrote:

+a lot. Better write a "why Stanford" addendum explaining your special reason for desperately wanting to attend.

Hahahaha. I wouldn't say that asian girls are "over-represented" in law schools in general... but there are a ton of Asian students in California, but that's just because they all live in California. UC Berkeley has 45%+ asian students. (Because they don't use affirmative action)

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:28 pm

GargamelITT wrote:anyone up for aimless speculation re: the new index that SLS is supposedly rolling out this year? i don't have a link/source, but i read somewhere that they've altered their index to place more relative weight on LSAT. do we think this is going to change the profile of the new class appreciably, or not so much?

i agree with the sentiment expressed a couple pages ago that SLS is perfectly capable of raising its LSAT median if it so chooses. maybe they're looking to bump it up a point (or even two) this year?
i confess i've got a big vested interest in this myself (GPA near 25th, LSAT well above 75th). i don't figure myself for much of a shot at stanford, given their reputation for emphasis on GPA. any chance that changes this year?

From your mouth to their ears! :D :D :D I am ready and willing to help them.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:29 pm

GargamelITT wrote:anyone up for aimless speculation re: the new index that SLS is supposedly rolling out this year? i don't have a link/source, but i read somewhere that they've altered their index to place more relative weight on LSAT. do we think this is going to change the profile of the new class appreciably, or not so much?

I think they could keep their GPA median the same and raise LSAT if they choose to.

alleyoop86

Postby alleyoop86 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:30 pm

Last edited by alleyoop86 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:30 pm

managamy wrote:

surely you've had enough of palo alto at this point, eh?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:33 pm

GargamelITT wrote:
managamy wrote:

:roll:

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:35 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:

I think they could keep their GPA median the same and raise LSAT if they choose to.

i agree with this as well, given their very high, uh, "softs median." so i'd imagine they could bump up LSAT by compromising either that or GPA. but i think the fact that they changed the index suggests the latter, since softs aren't relevant to the index at all

hiro86

Postby hiro86 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:36 pm

Their index definitely did change this year and I started a post several months ago about whether or not it would matter. I sincerely hope that it at least indicates that they are starting to care more about the LSAT. But, I would be surprised if they drastically alter their admissions criteria.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:37 pm

managamy wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:
managamy wrote:

:roll:

no? fair enough. if you get a nice, shiny SLS acceptance next to that harvard one, where do you go? or have you not figured it out yet

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:43 pm

GargamelITT wrote:
no? fair enough. if you get a nice, shiny SLS acceptance next to that harvard one, where do you go? or have you not figured it out yet

Going to PM you.

Saya

Postby Saya » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:47 pm

managamy wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:

Going to PM you.
Wanna PM me, too? Let me inside your [strike]ego[/strike] mind.

regatsrj

Postby regatsrj » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:48 pm

Where did you read this? Sources required or else I call shameless rumor-mongering!

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:11 pm

regatsrj wrote:

Where did you read this? Sources required or else I call shameless rumor-mongering!

No this is definitely happening.

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:17 pm

crackberry wrote:
regatsrj wrote:

No this is definitely happening.

Yeah I never heard of this... and when I talked to admissions it seems like the standards were just as (high as) before. There didn't seem to be any shift in focus to high LSATs "just because".

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:20 pm

fidesverita wrote:Yeah I never heard of this... and when I talked to admissions it seems like the standards were just as (high as) before. There didn't seem to be any shift in focus to high LSATs "just because".

From the Stanford TLS profile:

"GPA vs. LSAT

The GPAs of incoming students are similar to those of rivals Harvard and Yale, but Stanford’s LSAT statistics have historically been lower. Like its Bay Area neighbor Berkeley, Stanford has placed more emphasis on an applicant’s GPA than other top law schools in previous years. A shift may be underway, however. For the 2009 to 2010 application cycle, Stanford changed the formula it uses to compare applicants, its “index formula.” More weight will now be given to the LSAT than in the older formula. While it is too early to precisely judge what effect this will have, applicants with a high LSAT score will likely stand a better chance than before."

If you don't trust the TLS profile, I will find you some more evidence from LSAC.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:22 pm

crackberry wrote:
fidesverita wrote:Yeah I never heard of this... and when I talked to admissions it seems like the standards were just as (high as) before. There didn't seem to be any shift in focus to high LSATs "just because".

"GPA vs. LSAT

The GPAs of incoming students are similar to those of rivals Harvard and Yale, but Stanford’s LSAT statistics have historically been lower. Like its Bay Area neighbor Berkeley, Stanford has placed more emphasis on an applicant’s GPA than other top law schools in previous years. A shift may be underway, however. For the 2009 to 2010 application cycle, Stanford changed the formula it uses to compare applicants, its “index formula.” More weight will now be given to the LSAT than in the older formula. While it is too early to precisely judge what effect this will have, applicants with a high LSAT score will likely stand a better chance than before."

If you don't trust the TLS profile, I will find you some more evidence from LSAC.

The million-dollar question, though, is how much more?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:25 pm

managamy wrote:
crackberry wrote:

"GPA vs. LSAT

The million-dollar question, though, is how much more?

It's something like 50 percent more. I'm working on it now.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:27 pm

[quote="crackberry]

It's something like 50 percent more. I'm working on it now.[/quote]

Yikes, that would be NEWS with a capital N.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”