Stanford 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tintin

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby tintin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:16 pm

theadw wrote:I just got in. Yikes!

Numbers on LSN (I just got a 175 on the February test as well); I also have a unique commitment to SLS. PM for details.

nice!! congrats!!

sounds like faye is on a roll today hahah

theadw

Postby theadw » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:17 pm

Also, since folks are talking about LOCIs -- I sent one, addressed it to Dean Deal (though "Dear Dean Deal" is kind of a cumbersome opening), and copied the admissions office.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:19 pm

theadw wrote:Also, since folks are talking about LOCIs -- I sent one, addressed it to Dean Deal (though "Dear Dean Deal" is kind of a cumbersome opening), and copied the admissions office.

Hmm, I may be writing one today... anything to help my chances.

And congrats!

tintin

Postby tintin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:20 pm

theadw wrote:Also, since folks are talking about LOCIs -- I sent one, addressed it to Dean Deal (though "Dear Dean Deal" is kind of a cumbersome opening), and copied the admissions office.

damn, i wish i had thought of sending it to deal and cc'ing the office. smart....

Core

Postby Core » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:29 pm

tintin wrote:

damn, i wish i had thought of sending it to deal and cc'ing the office. smart....

I sent a pretty strong one on Wednesday, but I don't think LOCIs really make much of a difference unless your new development(s) are really impressive.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:46 pm

I get the feeling that if your LOCI says Stanford is your #1 it could give you a slight boost

Core

Postby Core » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:56 pm

Amelie wrote:I get the feeling that if your LOCI says Stanford is your #1 it could give you a slight boost

If you say you'll attend and withdraw all other apps if admitted, definitely.

tintin

Postby tintin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:03 pm

Core wrote:
Amelie wrote:I get the feeling that if your LOCI says Stanford is your #1 it could give you a slight boost

that is pretty much what i said...

adameus

Postby adameus » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:54 pm

congrats to the new admits.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:56 pm

tintin wrote:
Core wrote:

Ditto. I thought this was especially important for me, someone who has never lived or gone to school outside of the Northeast before.

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:23 pm

BenJ wrote:
tintin wrote:
Core wrote:

Ditto. I thought this was especially important for me, someone who has never lived or gone to school outside of the Northeast before.

Is it binding to say this?

What if you say you plan to go if admitted?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:31 pm

Congrats theadw!

Not officially/legally binding to say it's your #1 of course, but it would be pretty bad form to say that, get in and then not go.

theadw

Postby theadw » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:10 pm

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:33 pm

crackberry wrote:Not officially/legally binding to say it's your #1 of course

I don't even mean just saying #1, but rather "I will withdraw all other offers and attend."

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:36 pm

CordeliusX wrote:

I don't even mean just saying #1, but rather "I will withdraw all other offers and attend."

Again, not legally binding, but it would be very unprofessional to not abide by that. Definitely not a good idea to try to game the system like that. Schools definitely talk amongst themselves and the legal community isn't that big.

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:46 pm

CordeliusX wrote:

Is it binding to say this?

If you are an honest person, yes.

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:47 pm

crackberry wrote:
CordeliusX wrote:

Again, not legally binding, but it would be very unprofessional to not abide by that. Definitely not a good idea to try to game the system like that. Schools definitely talk amongst themselves and the legal community isn't that big.

Fair enough, but to play devil's advocate - I doubt that would somehow haunt you later in life, and I also assume if you say "I plan to attend" that is not really giving your word, in the same sense that "I will attend" is...

pinkhearts

Postby pinkhearts » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:59 pm

If you say you'll attend and withdraw all other apps if admitted, definitely.[/quote]

What was the wording when you said #1 choice? Where you really as blunt as just, Stanford is where I want to be, I'll withdraw all the other apps? Is there a difference between saying top choice and laying out like, i'll move tomorrow if you call? How lame would it be to send another one pretty close after the first one to make ridiculously clear like this?

Dear Dean Deal,

I don't know if I made this clear in our previous correspondence, but if admitted, I'll give you my cc number over the phone to put in a seat deposit. I am cuckoo bananas for Stanford.

<3pinkhearts

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:01 pm

CordeliusX wrote:
crackberry wrote:
CordeliusX wrote:

Fair enough, but to play devil's advocate - I doubt that would somehow haunt you later in life, and I also assume if you say "I plan to attend" that is not really giving your word, in the same sense that "I will attend" is...

Comments from some admissions deans have suggested that this happens with some frequency--basically, they don't really trust people saying that a school is their top choice. That's evidence that it's a bad idea to lie about it but also that it probably doesn't haunt you (because if it did admissions deans would tell horror stories of people who did it and then failed C&F).

Anyway, just don't lie or mislead. I was okay with my promise to attend Stanford. It's tied for my top choice with Yale, and I think my chances at Yale are tiny while my chances at Stanford are at least decent. And I would be fine with turning down Yale for Stanford if some miracle happened and I got into both.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:03 pm

pinkhearts wrote:
Amelie wrote:
I get the feeling that if your LOCI says Stanford is your #1 it could give you a slight boost

What was the wording when you said #1 choice? Where you really as blunt as just, Stanford is where I want to be, I'll withdraw all the other apps? Is there a difference between saying top choice and laying out like, i'll move tomorrow if you call? How lame would it be to send another one pretty close after the first one to make ridiculously clear like this?

Dear Dean Deal,

I don't know if I made this clear in our previous correspondence, but if admitted, I'll give you my cc number over the phone to put in a seat deposit. I am cuckoo bananas for Stanford.

<3pinkhearts

Haha, that might just have them thinking you actually are cuckoo bananas, full stop. I'm not sure there's a significant difference as long as you emphasize the awesomeness that is Stanford in your LOCI. Also, a subtle jab at Harvard like the one I put in ("intimate environment compared to other larger schools") can't hurt.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:07 pm

CordeliusX wrote:
crackberry wrote:
CordeliusX wrote:

Ok, but you said, "What if I say, 'I will withdraw all other offers and attend.'" There's really not a whole lot of ambiguity there.

To be fair, I wrote in my PS "...for these reasons and more, Stanford is my first choice for law school." Faye mentioned that line over the phone when she called (she said something like, "Well, you're not bound to come here, but you said you would!") so it clearly caught her eye. There is a tiny chance that I don't go to Stanford (if I get into Yale and decide to go there), and if that happens, I will feel bad for misleading Dean Deal. That said, there is a whole lot more ambiguity in what I wrote ("my first choice") than there is in "I will withdraw from everywhere else and enroll at Stanford."

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:07 pm

BenJ wrote:full stop.

:D :D :D

pinkhearts

Postby pinkhearts » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:08 pm

BenJ wrote:
pinkhearts wrote:
Amelie wrote:

Dear Dean Deal,

<3pinkhearts

Haha, that might just have them thinking you actually are cuckoo bananas, full stop. I'm not sure there's a significant difference as long as you emphasize the awesomeness that is Stanford in your LOCI. Also, a subtle jab at Harvard like the one I put in ("intimate environment compared to other larger schools") can't hurt.

ok, no cuckoo bananas. I guess stanford as "top choice" per the original letter is probably best.

pinkhearts

Postby pinkhearts » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:10 pm

crackberry wrote:
BenJ wrote:full stop.

:D :D :D

i am not well versed on the interweb talk. is this some sort of funny thing that is said?

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:10 pm

It's better to demonstrate why Stanford is your top choice than to simply state it. For example, mention specific programs you are interested in and/or professors with whom you would like to work. If you have other personal reasons for wanting to attend Stanford, definitely mention those.

Anyone can say Stanford is their #1. Not everyone can convincingly demonstrate the same sentiment.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”