Stanford 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lmao Zedong

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Lmao Zedong » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:03 pm

crackberry wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:
crackberry wrote:There's also the Trinity College for the dregs of the NYC private school system in Connecticut.

It was the finishing school for the annoying dumbasses at my own private school too. When some lazy slob walked past, I used to think "perfect for Trinity."

In NYC, if you were rich, went to private school, did a lot of coke and had a 2.0-2.5, you went to Trinity or Hamilton.

doesn't skidmore fit in there somewhere too

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:04 pm

crackberry wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:
crackberry wrote:There's also the Trinity College for the dregs of the NYC private school system in Connecticut.

It was the finishing school for the annoying dumbasses at my own private school too. When some lazy slob walked past, I used to think "perfect for Trinity."

In NYC, if you were rich, went to private school, did a lot of coke and had a 2.0-2.5, you went to Trinity or Hamilton.

Haha. I remember refusing to get out of the car when we visited Trinity during my New England college-visiting trip before applying to undergrad. It was so obviously prepjock heaven.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:14 pm

Lmao Zedong wrote:
crackberry wrote:In NYC, if you were rich, went to private school, did a lot of coke and had a 2.0-2.5, you went to Trinity or Hamilton.

Yes, that too.
BenJ wrote:Haha. I remember refusing to get out of the car when we visited Trinity during my New England college-visiting trip before applying to undergrad. It was so obviously prepjock heaven.

Yeah but they are BAD jocks. Their sports teams suck.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:16 pm

crackberry wrote:
Lmao Zedong wrote:
crackberry wrote:In NYC, if you were rich, went to private school, did a lot of coke and had a 2.0-2.5, you went to Trinity or Hamilton.

Yes, that too.
BenJ wrote:Haha. I remember refusing to get out of the car when we visited Trinity during my New England college-visiting trip before applying to undergrad. It was so obviously prepjock heaven.

They're not really jocks but the kids who couldn't make it from JV to Varsity but insisted that they were super athletes and sports experts anyway.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:18 pm

CardinalRules wrote:They're not really jocks but the kids who couldn't make it from JV to Varsity but insisted that they were super athletes and sports experts anyway.

That's almost exactly right. They were mediocre athletes at NYC private schools — not exactly feeder schools to the USCs and UNCs (and Stanfords) of the world.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:27 pm

crackberry wrote:

I know. My undergrad is in NESCAC, too.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:32 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Lmao Zedong wrote:

Yes, that too.

They're not really jocks but the kids who couldn't make it from JV to Varsity but insisted that they were super athletes and sports experts anyway.

yeah, of note here also is that if you're an average student but a good athlete you can get your way to the ivies paved through athletic recruitment

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:33 pm

Lmao Zedong wrote:yeah, of note here also is that if you're an average student but a good athlete you can get your way to the ivies paved through athletic recruitment

I have a number of friends who did just that. Basketball players at Harvard, runners at Penn, etc.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:34 pm

I did that, actually. Columbia for UG. Didn't attend.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:35 pm

crackberry wrote:
Lmao Zedong wrote:yeah, of note here also is that if you're an average student but a good athlete you can get your way to the ivies paved through athletic recruitment

I have a number of friends who did just that. Basketball players at Harvard, runners at Penn, etc.

+1. They became former friends when they did that.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:40 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
crackberry wrote:

why? who is to say that SAT scores are much more reflective of future success than athletic prowess? in fact, many employers prefer top athletes when they hire new employees.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:41 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
crackberry wrote:

pretty harsh, no? doesn't seem like our place to pass judgment if the school feels that the person in question will make a worthwhile overall contribution as a student/athlete

the only time this bothers me is when someone is recruited to a school to play a sport, then promptly quits that sport, which I've heard a few cases of

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:41 pm

englawyer wrote:why? who is to say that SAT scores are much more reflective of future success than athletic prowess? in fact, many employers prefer top athletes when they hire new employees.

That's actually somewhat true, interestingly enough. Probably because athletes are often very personable, charismatic and team-oriented, while bookworms can be socially awkward and better solo-workers than they are team players.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:46 pm

englawyer wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:
crackberry wrote:

why? who is to say that SAT scores are much more reflective of future success than athletic prowess? in fact, many employers prefer top athletes when they hire new employees.

They were pretty obnoxious about telling me how much superior they were. It's all water under the dam at this point, obviously; I don't care about UG admissions patterns at all now.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:47 pm

Eh, I sacrificed a lot in the GPA department in high school for sports. I don't think it should be held against anyone as long as they make the most of their college experience.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:47 pm

Lmao Zedong wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:
crackberry wrote:

pretty harsh, no? doesn't seem like our place to pass judgment if the school feels that the person in question will make a worthwhile overall contribution as a student/athlete

the only time this bothers me is when someone is recruited to a school to play a sport, then promptly quits that sport, which I've heard a few cases of

This was the case for some of them; it seemed unfair to me.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:50 pm

I didn't mean to cause offense to anyone here with the comment; sorry to have hurt anyone's feelings.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:56 pm

Lmao Zedong wrote:pretty harsh, no? doesn't seem like our place to pass judgment if the school feels that the person in question will make a worthwhile overall contribution as a student/athlete

I know someone who did this at Yale (who was not even close to smart enough to get in on his own)... it really bothered me.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:05 pm

maggiebre wrote:
Lmao Zedong wrote:pretty harsh, no? doesn't seem like our place to pass judgment if the school feels that the person in question will make a worthwhile overall contribution as a student/athlete

I know someone who did this at Yale (who was not even close to smart enough to get in on his own)... it really bothered me.

that is kind of worrisome. thankfully they lose the "athlete bonus" when it comes to recruiting if it is any consolation. also, this is for the most part true for the ivies only. other schools give scholarships that are forfeited if you stop playing on the team, whereas the ivy league schools do not offer athletic scholarships.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:09 pm

tbf, if you're serious about athletics, you don't go to a great academic school unless it's Stanford.

mochafury

Postby mochafury » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:12 pm

So...if 3.8/177 gets you dinged at SLS...guess I'll be expecting my letter? I live in NY, so looks like I'm waiting on the postman.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:22 pm

mochafury wrote:So...if 3.8/177 gets you dinged at SLS...guess I'll be expecting my letter? I live in NY, so looks like I'm waiting on the postman.

Do you have a 177 / 3.8? If so, you'll need to drop about seven points on your LSAT before STTTanford will consider you.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:27 pm

Kronk wrote:
mochafury wrote:So...if 3.8/177 gets you dinged at SLS...guess I'll be expecting my letter? I live in NY, so looks like I'm waiting on the postman.

Do you have a 177 / 3.8? If so, you'll need to drop [strike]about[/strike] exactly seven points on your LSAT before STTTanford will consider you.

ftfy.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:34 pm

Kronk wrote:

Do you have a 177 / 3.8? If so, you'll need to drop about seven points on your LSAT before STTTanford will consider you.

Next time, just skip answering the last logic game. :wink:

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:37 pm

Kronk wrote:

Do you have a 177 / 3.8? If so, you'll need to drop about seven (or eight) points on your LSAT before STTTanford will consider you.
Fixed.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”