Stanford 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CardinalRules

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:52 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:Cal >>> Chicago, in case you weren't aware, Kronk.

Care to explain?

Berkeley is a really wonderful place to be as a student, and the Bay Area in general is a great environment. Plus, there's plenty of evidence from weather.com to support Cal. :wink: When evaluating two equally ranked schools, lifestyle and climate are sufficient to prefer one over the other, IMO.

Chicago also has a reputation for harsh grading and intense competition, not a lot of fun either. But I don't want to come across as an anti-Chicago troll; I'm not making the choice myself, so don't take me too seriously.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:54 pm

Cal or Chicago, yeah. I would probably choose Boalt, but Chicago is a better school and offered me a scholarship. Hoping Berkeley will match it, but they are traditionally stingy.

Edit: Should be noted I talked to a professor who thought Chicago wasn't any more competitive than other law schools, edited the rest about this.

Edit II: I'd actually also prefer NYU to Chicago as I'm interested in a specific kind of law that happens to be public interest oriented, but the Chicago professors have been so great in communicating with me that they are definitely winning me over. Still haven't heard back from Berkeley or NYU professors, unfortunately, so they can't tell me what makes their schools the better choice. The Chicago professor, on the other hand, gave me his home phone # and talked to me extensively about why Chicago was a great option for what I wanted and why he left Stanford for Chicago as a professor, etc.
Last edited by Kronk on Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:57 pm

Kronk wrote:Cal or Chicago, yeah. I would probably choose Boalt, but Chicago is a better school and offered me a scholarship. Hoping Berkeley will match it, but they are traditionally stingy.

Edit: Should be noted I talked to a professor who thought Chicago wasn't any more competitive than other law schools, and actually cited Berkeley (wtf?) as a school he considered "bad" competitive. Also, they have an amazing clinic at Chicago that I would love to be involved in. I'd still rather attend Berkeley though, and I'm sure my upcoming visits of both places will reinforce that.

Is that a Chicago professor?
Last edited by CardinalRules on Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:00 pm

CardinalRules wrote:Is that a Chicago professor? Nobody has ever told me that Boalt is ultra-competitive. :?

Yeah. He was the PI director at Stanford and then moved to be the PI director at Chicago because he had some sort of fellowship there and has been there for ten years. He admitted bias.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:03 pm

Kronk wrote:
He admitted he was biased.

Haha, I would say so. Stanford + Chicago = arch-enemy of Cal. The gunning and fanatical studying was what I was mentioning earlier; I didn't mean to imply unethical behavior. To me, a school full of gunners wouldn't be a very pleasant atmosphere.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:05 pm

Kronk, are you serious? Berkeley is so much better than UIUC.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:06 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
Kronk wrote:

Haha, I would say so. Stanford + Chicago = arch-enemy of Cal. The gunning and fanatical studying was what I was mentioning earlier; I didn't mean to imply unethical behavior. To me, a school full of gunners wouldn't be a very pleasant atmosphere.

Eh, I highly doubt it's any different at any top 14, especially with the economy the way it is. Maybe you'll get off the hook because of no grades at YS, but even Berkeley's no-grade system is ranked and mostly superficial with HH, H, and P.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:07 pm

crackberry wrote:Kronk, are you serious? Berkeley is so much better than UIUC.

UIUC and the University of California, Oakland are fairly comparable. Though I do want to work in San Fran.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:08 pm

Kronk wrote:

UIUC and the University of California, Oakland are fairly comparable. Though I do want to work in San Fran.

Yeah, why am I going to school in Stamford, CT, if I want to work in the Bay Area?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:09 pm

Kronk wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:
Kronk wrote:

Eh, I highly doubt it's any different at any top 14, especially with the economy the way it is. Maybe you'll get off the hook because of no grades at YS, but even Berkeley's no-grade system is ranked and mostly superficial with HH, H, and P.

Point taken. The economy does seem to be making everyone more anxious, even at the top schools.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:10 pm

This conversation has taken an odd turn since CB entered the thread. :lol:

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:12 pm

crackberry wrote:
Kronk wrote:

Yeah, why am I going to school in Stamford, CT, if I want to work in the Bay Area?

I'm considering Haverford, but only if they give me an interview in the next few weeks.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:16 pm

Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Kronk wrote:

I'm considering Haverford, but only if they give me an interview in the next few weeks.

Fail. Everyone knows what Harvard is.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:16 pm

crackberry wrote:Fail. Everyone knows what Harvard is.

lulz at you using the Stanford joke prior.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:17 pm

I like how many of these prestigious schools have names similar to other schools. I had a ton of band friends in high school, and everyone thought I was going to attend Berklee College of Music.

Also these threads get off topic purty fast.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:17 pm

I must be slow-witted today; it took me until that last post to figure out what you guys were doing. Then I LOL'd. :lol:

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:17 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:I like how many of these prestigious schools have names similar to other schools. I had a ton of band friends in high school, and everyone thought I was going to attend Berklee College of Music.

Only because Stanford is driving me insane. I haven't been rejected anywhere, though, so I can't have messed up my application too much.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:19 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:I like how many of these prestigious schools have names similar to other schools. I had a ton of band friends in high school, and everyone thought I was going to attend Berklee College of Music.

Re name confusion, my sister had a British friend who went to "Trinity College." My sister asked if she could visit her at Oxford or Cambridge when she next went to London.

It was Trinity College Dublin. :D

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:21 pm

Having gone to Colorado College ("CC" to everyone here), I get asked often why I only chose to go to community college. This includes folks from my hometown, 45 minutes away from CC.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:22 pm

Kretzy wrote:Having gone to Colorado College ("CC" to everyone here), I get asked often why I only chose to go to community college. This includes folks from my hometown, 45 minutes away from CC.

There's the U Penn / Penn State thing too.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:26 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
Kretzy wrote:Having gone to Colorado College ("CC" to everyone here), I get asked often why I only chose to go to community college. This includes folks from my hometown, 45 minutes away from CC.

There's the U Penn / Penn State thing too.

There are just too many. I've gotten the "Oh, which Cal State do you go to?" question a couple of times.

Stamford's my favorite, though. I remember freaking out when the "In at Stamford" thread came alive.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:26 pm

CardinalRules wrote:

Re name confusion, my sister had a British friend who went to "Trinity College." My sister asked if she could visit her at Oxford or Cambridge when she next went to London.

There's also the Trinity College for the dregs of the NYC private school system in Connecticut.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:28 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
I remember freaking out when the "In at Stamford" thread came alive.

+a lot. Also, there were people who applied to Penn and got "Congratulations" emails from...Penn State, which was "congratulating" them on their record and offering a fee waiver.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:29 pm

crackberry wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:

There's also the Trinity College for the dregs of the NYC private school system in Connecticut.

It was the finishing school for the annoying dumbasses at my own private school too. When some lazy slob walked past, I used to think "perfect for Trinity."

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:45 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
crackberry wrote:There's also the Trinity College for the dregs of the NYC private school system in Connecticut.

It was the finishing school for the annoying dumbasses at my own private school too. When some lazy slob walked past, I used to think "perfect for Trinity."

In NYC, if you were rich, went to private school, did a lot of coke and had a 2.0-2.5, you went to Trinity or Hamilton.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”