Stanford 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lysis

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Lysis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:10 pm

I'm not sure; I thought it was pretty random. I wasn't sure if I should say anything because I didn't want to increase anxiety for the rest of the day, but on the other hand I would want to know there was still hope if it was a school I hadn't heard from.

Good luck guys! :)

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:27 pm

FWIW, received mine at 10am EST.

chopsticks3092

Postby chopsticks3092 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:13 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:FWIW, received mine at 10am EST.

...and mine around 10:30am PST on a Friday.

anmo

Postby anmo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:17 pm

Do we know anything as far as a timeline of when we should be hearing back about financial aid? I thought something was mentioned when Dean Deal called, but pretty much everything she said is now a blur.

protokurios

Postby protokurios » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:24 am

I love the new blog entry...it's like they're reading our minds. hahaha

http://blogs.law.stanford.edu/admissions/

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:44 am

protokurios wrote:I love the new blog entry...it's like they're reading our minds. hahaha

They are. It's Stanford.

Legacy316

Postby Legacy316 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:33 am

Last edited by Legacy316 on Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:30 am

Legacy316 wrote:Okay guys, I've seen some URMs get into SLS already with numbers lower than mine and app sent dates later than mine, and I may have just figured out why. I misspelled the name of my high school on my application!!! UGH!! I have NO IDEA how this happened. Up till now, I haven't come across one typo in any of my 12 apps and the one I finally spot is on Stanford's!? WTF!?

Breathe. Relax. Faye won't mind.

booboo

Postby booboo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:52 am

Legacy316 wrote:Okay guys, I've seen some URMs get into SLS already with numbers lower than mine and app sent dates later than mine, and I may have just figured out why. I misspelled the name of my high school on my application!!! UGH!! I have NO IDEA how this happened. Up till now, I haven't come across one typo in any of my 12 apps and the one I finally spot is on Stanford's!? WTF!?

Did you really convince yourself that this is what might keep you out of Stanford? managamy's post is TCR.

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:18 pm

protokurios wrote:I love the new blog entry...it's like they're reading our minds. hahaha

Solid post. Thanks for the reminder to check it out--the blog entries are too infrequent for me to habitually check it everyday.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:06 pm

Yeah, it's not as if all URMs with 167+, 3.9+ get in to SLS so that garbage about other URMs with similar complete dates and lower scores means literally nothing. If you're going to get in, the typo on your application won't affect anything. If you don't get in, it's not because of the typo.

jsoell

Postby jsoell » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:11 pm

I´m going to add another agreement to the pile. I had the wrong state listed on my application, and it didn´t rule me out.

crackberry wrote:

Yeah, it's not as if all URMs with 167+, 3.9+ get in to SLS so that garbage about other URMs with similar complete dates and lower scores means literally nothing. If you're going to get in, the typo on your application won't affect anything. If you don't get in, it's not because of the typo.

Core

Postby Core » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:11 pm

What kind of URM are you? The degree to which SLS needs that kind of URM determines how much of a "boost" you get.
I have higher numbers than you and haven't heard back, but I'm PR, so I probably wouldn't get as much of a boost with SLS as you would, if you are MX or AA, for example.

Legacy316

Postby Legacy316 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:07 pm

I'm a Mex/Amer URM. I'm thinking/hoping y'all are right about the typo not affecting anything. It's just that the "typo" is a little embarrassing (think along the lines of 'pubic interest') haha. I guess I should just wait until at least April before I really start worrying anyway... and should definitely refrain from looking over my apps at this point (especially at 4am on a weekend)!!! Haha, thanks for the sanity-check everyone!

Core

Postby Core » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:18 am

Stanford, please call me, if only to say hi. Thanks.

anmo

Postby anmo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:46 pm

Core wrote:Stanford, please call me, if only to say hi. Thanks.

I hope they tell you more than "hi." :D

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:45 pm

anmo wrote:
Core wrote:Stanford, please call me, if only to say hi. Thanks.

I hope they tell you more than "hi." :D

Yeah, that would be really, really depressing. "Oh, sorry, no, you're not admitted, we just wanted to hear your dulcet tones. Best wishes!" *click*

Laina

Postby Laina » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:17 pm

Core wrote:

What kind of URM are you? The degree to which SLS needs that kind of URM determines how much of a "boost" you get.
I have higher numbers than you and haven't heard back, but I'm PR, so I probably wouldn't get as much of a boost with SLS as you would, if you are MX or AA, for example.

Just out of curiosity, how do you figure PRs get a smaller boost for Stanford? I figured Mex-Ams would get the smaller boost, since there is a huge Mex-Am population in California, so more applicants that might want to stay in Cali for family reasons.

Core

Postby Core » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:15 pm

Laina wrote:
Core wrote:

Just out of curiosity, how do you figure PRs get a smaller boost for Stanford? I figured Mex-Ams would get the smaller boost, since there is a huge Mex-Am population in California, so more applicants that might want to stay in Cali for family reasons.

Just by looking at PR cycles on LSN. There are fewer PRs applying than there are MX, but it appears that the boost is not as large as it is for MX (i.e., anmo).

adameus

Postby adameus » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:23 pm

Laina wrote:
Core wrote:

The reason Mex-Am's would get a bigger boost is in your post. Since California has a higher Mex-Am population this would mean they would require a larger amount of Mex-Am's in the Stanford class in order to reach the proportion of the general population.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:14 pm

adameus wrote:
Laina wrote:Just out of curiosity, how do you figure PRs get a smaller boost for Stanford? I figured Mex-Ams would get the smaller boost, since there is a huge Mex-Am population in California, so more applicants that might want to stay in Cali for family reasons.

The reason Mex-Am's would get a bigger boost is in your post. Since California has a higher Mex-Am population this would mean they would require a larger amount of Mex-Am's in the Stanford class in order to reach the proportion of the general population.

Are you sure URM status is not determined based on national statistics, i.e. percentage of Mexicans in US population? This is the first time I hear about state-level URM.

Core

Postby Core » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:27 pm

Any Stanford admits today?

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:14 pm

adameus wrote:The reason Mex-Am's would get a bigger boost is in your post. Since California has a higher Mex-Am population this would mean they would require a larger amount of Mex-Am's in the Stanford class in order to reach the proportion of the general population.

So SLS is over 50% Mex-Am? :mrgreen:

adameus

Postby adameus » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:24 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
adameus wrote:
Laina wrote:Just out of curiosity, how do you figure PRs get a smaller boost for Stanford? I figured Mex-Ams would get the smaller boost, since there is a huge Mex-Am population in California, so more applicants that might want to stay in Cali for family reasons.

Are you sure URM status is not determined based on national statistics, i.e. percentage of Mexicans in US population? This is the first time I hear about state-level URM.

I don't think it's on a state level, but on a national level the # of Mexicans is also higher than the number of puerto ricans. I guess since California has a higher # of mexicans I could see how puerto ricans could get more of a boost if there are very few puerto ricans applying while there could be a large # of Mexicans applying...

castellon

Postby castellon » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:26 pm

Is it normal that I applied in early December and still haven't received a "complete" e-mail?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”