Stanford 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MahaloMontana

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby MahaloMontana » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:28 am

So when I got home from a very long day tonight, I almost had a heart attack to find a large packet in my mailbox from SLS. I ran up the stairs to my apartment almost in tears with joy... only to open the package and find only a red view book with the question "Are you ready to shape the future?" on it. No admission letter, no nothing save the book. Is this simply a rather delayed marketing mailing (considering I already applied 3 months ago)? Anyone else have this happen!?!?

jocelyne

Postby jocelyne » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:53 am

I got my ding mail today. The mailman is sooo slowwwww...

Saya

Postby Saya » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:58 am

jocelyne wrote:I got my ding mail today. The mailman is sooo slowwwww...
Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. :( (And yeah, Canada Post is like a snail.)

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:10 am

redhead77 wrote:So when I got home from a very long day tonight, I almost had a heart attack to find a large packet in my mailbox from SLS. I ran up the stairs to my apartment almost in tears with joy... only to open the package and find only a red view book with the question "Are you ready to shape the future?" on it. No admission letter, no nothing save the book. Is this simply a rather delayed marketing mailing (considering I already applied 3 months ago)? Anyone else have this happen!?!?

I got one about a month ago (thankfully only a day after I applied). To ease your nerves a bit, Stanford only admits by phone and only rejects by mail (in a small white envelope).

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:59 am

How do they WL? :)

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:00 am

Avoided YLS and SLS rejections this week, so at least I know my LOCI will make it.

RednBlack

Postby RednBlack » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:21 am

Kronk wrote:Avoided YLS and SLS rejections this week, so at least I know my LOCI will make it.

Do people usually send LOCIs before getting WL'ed ? I've been under review since early November and haven't heard anything yet.

duodora

Postby duodora » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:47 pm

Whine moment: Why in the world is this taking so long? :-\ I applied/went complete in October...and haven't heard a peep. Stanford is the ONLY school I haven't heard back from...

Question--for those of you who have been accepted--any dual degrees in there?

Thanks!

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:57 pm

duodora wrote:Whine moment: Why in the world is this taking so long? :-\ I applied/went complete in October...and haven't heard a peep. Stanford is the ONLY school I haven't heard back from...

Thanks!

Not on my application, but I'm about 60% sure I'm going to apply to a dual program as a 1L.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:14 pm

duodora wrote:Whine moment: Why in the world is this taking so long? :-\ I applied/went complete in October...and haven't heard a peep. Stanford is the ONLY school I haven't heard back from...

Thanks!

+1 but somehow it's always a huge relief not to have the skinny envelope (survived another day today) even if I don't know...

protokurios

Postby protokurios » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks!

I just went through last year's Stanford stats on LSN and it was kind of depressing. There were a couple people that applied in October and didn't hear back until late April, early May, just to get rejected or WLed.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:26 pm

nixxers wrote:

Thanks!

+1 but somehow it's always a huge relief not to have the skinny envelope (survived another day today) even if I don't know...

I feel the same way, like every day is a little victory... kind of sad when i think about it haha

tintin

Postby tintin » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:26 pm

protokurios wrote:

Thanks!

I just went through last year's Stanford stats on LSN and it was kind of depressing. There were a couple people that applied in October and didn't hear back until late April, early May, just to get rejected or WLed.

yeah, it seems pretty ridic that they would make people wait that long, since a lot of deposits are due in april. its not like they have a greater # of applicants to consider or anything. i would be kinda irritated to have spent $ visiting other schools, put down a deposit, and THEN find out i got into stanford....

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:28 pm

maggiebre wrote:
nixxers wrote:

Thanks!

I feel the same way, like every day is a little victory... kind of sad when i think about it haha

lol yeaaaah we may or may not be sad people

owellz

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:14 pm

protokurios wrote:

Thanks!

That is Stanford's MO. Several years ago, a couple of friends of mine applied in October; they had to wait until April for their rejections. If anything, Stanford seems to be a tad more aggressive with sending out rejections this year.

Edit: Speaking of rejections, this one is a little scary:
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/hydriotaphia

I realize that SLS rejects applicants with these kinds of numbers every year, but the fact that they rejected an ostensibly strong candidate in early February makes me think that they might be sending out rejections a little more quickly this cycle.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:41 pm

Dignan wrote:Edit: Speaking of rejections, this one is a little scary:

Eh, a 3.75 is a bit low for Stanford in general unless everything else is directed towards SLS. The scariest rejection by far is http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/bgc

booboo

Postby booboo » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:45 pm

Kronk wrote:

Eh, a 3.75 is a bit low for Stanford in general unless everything else is directed towards SLS. The scariest rejection by far is http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/bgc

Looks like s/he killed somebody.

You don't get WL'd with median+ GPA and that LSAT at Harvard.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:46 pm

Kronk wrote:

Right. The rejection itself isn't that surprising, just the fact that it's relatively early. Usually, people with good numbers who manage to get quick acceptances to all of CCNB are strong enough to get batted around the SLS Admissions' office until late March or April.

The profile you linked to is a late April rejection from last year.

anonymous5042

Postby anonymous5042 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:50 pm

I called today to ask for an update on the status of my application and they said a decision was mailed out February 5th, which I've yet to receive.

I guess it has to be a rejection.

The only faint hope I have is that Dean Deal doesn't contact international applicants by phone, opting to mail instead. I'm almost sure this isn't the case, though. Can someone confirm for me?

Stats: 170/3.84

Looks like I'll be doing law school in Canada. I may have considered otherwise had I been accepted into one of the T3, but that's incredibly unlikely at this point.

Good luck to everyone else!

anonymous5042

Postby anonymous5042 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:59 pm

anonymous5042 wrote:I called today to ask for an update on the status of my application and they said a decision was mailed out February 5th, which I've yet to receive.

I guess it has to be a rejection.

The only faint hope I have is that Dean Deal doesn't contact international applicants by phone, opting to mail instead. I'm almost sure this isn't the case, though. Can someone confirm for me?

Stats: 170/3.84

Looks like I'll be doing law school in Canada. I may have considered otherwise had I been accepted into one of the T3, but that's incredibly unlikely at this point.

Good luck to everyone else!

I just called back and asked the woman I spoke with if she could just tell me whether or not it was a rejection and she said she could. Rejected.

:(

Good luck to those still waiting.

Core

Postby Core » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:19 pm

Anything today?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:21 pm

Kretzy wrote:

Thanks!

Not on my application, but I'm about 60% sure I'm going to apply to a dual program as a 1L.

Same here. No help to you though, duodora. Sorry.

duodora

Postby duodora » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:34 pm

crackberry wrote:
Kretzy wrote:

Thanks!

Same here. No help to you though, duodora. Sorry.

That's ok! Thanks for the info :) Stanford is the only school I applied to where it was only one application for the two degrees--and I'm trying to figure out if I've just totally been passed over or if it might be related to the dual degree. (gpa + LSAT >75% at Stanford, but I realize that's not enough!)

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:47 pm

Rejected. Letter dated 2/8. Damn.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:48 pm

Dignan wrote:Rejected. Letter dated 2/8. Damn.

Booooo!!!!! :evil: Sorry Dignan!! that sucks. :(

Sorry but where are you located?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”