Stanford 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
englawyer

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby englawyer » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:54 pm

fidesverita wrote:I see you've got a new avatar, Managamy 8)

+1 the new one is better.

booboo

Postby booboo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:57 pm

Yeah, who is she? :).

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:04 pm

booboo wrote:

Yeah, who is she? :).

It's the same person as the previous avatars (and the partial inspiration for my username). I thought that the end of my cycle warranted a change to a more relaxed picture rather than an image in which she was showcasing her bling to impress everyone. This photograph is from an Australian Open practice session.

Hopefully, the new avatar reflects my cheerful, informal personality just as the other one reflected my arrogant former persona. :) It's the message that I'm trying to send, anyway.

booby87

Postby booby87 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:47 am

Last edited by booby87 on Tue May 03, 2011 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

tintin

Postby tintin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:32 am

i had my profs do the form c thing, but i don't think any of them had anything super stanford specific in there. though i could be wrong, seeing as how it is likely they know people there....

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:44 am

Does Form B have to be to go complete?

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:50 am

hiromoto45 wrote:Does Form B have to be to go complete?

Yes. Your status will not be complete at SLS unless Form B was received by the admissions office.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:41 am

Dignan wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:Does Form B have to be to go complete?

Yes. Your status will not be complete at SLS unless Form B was received by the admissions office.

Absolutely.

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:11 am

BenJ wrote:
adameus wrote:both of you were accepted I assume?

I was just happy that some of the professors that I knew would remember me 3 years after being out of school were still at my undergrad and hadn't retired or moved to another school. I wasn't going to ask them to write me another letter.

Are there some people who have been accepted without the stanford specific letters?

There are (I'm not one of them, only just went complete a few days ago, although I don't have targeted LORs, either). Most applicants do not have targeted LORs. Unless you went to Stanford UG, had a professor who went to or taught at Stanford, or were lucky enough to work closely with someone who went to Stanford, you're not going to be able to get targeted LORs. They don't just reject everyone without one, and I doubt it makes more than a small difference.

Huh?

Targeted letters from referees connected to Stanford is clearly ideal, but certainly not necessary.

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:43 am

I'm in! Still in shock. Faye left a VM and sent an e-mail, I returned her call once I was calm and we had a great chat. I went complete one week ago, LSAT low 160s and GPA at median for SLS. I nearly decided to wait and reapply because my LSAT was so low--I'm so thankful my friends and family encouraged me to reconsider. I'll post more info on LSN so folks can see what other factors made up for my LSAT.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:48 am

WhiskeyGuy wrote:I'm in! Still in shock. Faye left a VM and sent an e-mail, I returned her call once I was calm and we had a great chat. I went complete one week ago, LSAT low 160s and GPA at median for SLS. I nearly decided to wait and reapply because my LSAT was so low--I'm so thankful my friends and family encouraged me to reconsider. I'll post more info on LSN so folks can see what other factors made up for my LSAT.

Congrats!! Is Stanford your #1?

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:50 am

maggiebre wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:I'm in! Still in shock. Faye left a VM and sent an e-mail, I returned her call once I was calm and we had a great chat. I went complete one week ago, LSAT low 160s and GPA at median for SLS. I nearly decided to wait and reapply because my LSAT was so low--I'm so thankful my friends and family encouraged me to reconsider. I'll post more info on LSN so folks can see what other factors made up for my LSAT.

Absolutely. I basically said "If admitted, I will attend" in my PS.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:30 pm

Holy shit, congrats!

Core

Postby Core » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:33 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
maggiebre wrote:

Congrats!
How did you say that? I am thinking about saying it in a short LOCI or addendum. Too tacky?

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:36 pm

It seems like the "if admitted, I'll be there" works well. I'm not completely ready to commit to that (waiting on scholly offers), but I gotta say if no money anywhere was involved SLS would probably be my #1. I guess I'll have to wait and see before sending a LOCI because I don't wanna lie to 'em.

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:37 pm

Core wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:
maggiebre wrote:

Congrats!
How did you say that? I am thinking about saying it in a short LOCI or addendum. Too tacky?

It's not tacky if it is true and you will keep your word. I think it also helped that I had made other efforts to express my interest in SLS, including two thoughtful and targeted letters.

Also, I PMed you.

Core

Postby Core » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:47 pm

Thanks. Gotcha.
My problem is that I already submitted my PS with my app and my LOCI last week. Any idea if it would be acceptable for me to submit another document with that statement?

tintin

Postby tintin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:50 pm

congrats!!!! ugh, makes me nervous that calls are going out. i told stanford they are my #1 but i should have been more clear about the "if admitted i will def attend" thing. regrets, regrets...sigh.

anyways, im surprised she is making calls this early.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:51 pm

tintin wrote:congrats!!!! ugh, makes me nervous that calls are going out. i told stanford they are my #1 but i should have been more clear about the "if admitted i will def attend" thing. regrets, regrets...sigh.

anyways, im surprised she is making calls this early.

I got mine at 10 am EST. Dean Deal seems like an early-riser!

Core

Postby Core » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:02 pm

Anymore calls today?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:05 pm

Core wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:
maggiebre wrote:

Congrats!

I subtly mentioned that Stanford was my top choice in my PS, and when I sent my LOCI I wrote something like "Due to blah, blah, and blah, Stanford has been and remains my top choice for law school. I appreciate the opportunity to update my file and give the admissions committee a further look at my accomplishments and character."

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:08 pm

Wow, congrats Whiskey!

I only hope that same strategy works for Berk. :mrgreen:

pinkhearts

Postby pinkhearts » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:56 pm

congrats! that is so exciting :)

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:29 pm

PMed you Whiskey, but congrats man. I know you wanted SLS badly and I'm glad it came through for you.

As for the "If I'm admitted, I will attend line," I didn't say exactly that in my PS, but I said something like "For these reasons and more, Stanford is my first choice for law school" and Faye actually mentioned that particular line in our phone call. Who knows what saying something like that actually does, but it appears that it does catch her eye.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:57 pm

^
by that, did you essentially mean, i am coming if i am admitted, or, at this point, would you still consider going somewhere else even after having written that?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”