Stanford 2010!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nixxers

Bronze

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Post by nixxers » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:40 pm

jeebus, i look away from the stanford thread for like 2 days and it explodes in crazy :shock:

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:43 pm

I'm too lazy to scroll back. What did I miss? Another epic squabble between CB and Kronk?

bloodonthetracks

Bronze

Post by bloodonthetracks » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:52 pm

do rejections come via email or post?

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:57 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:do rejections come via email or post?
Snail mail.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:27 pm

CardinalRules wrote:I'm too lazy to scroll back. What did I miss? Another epic squabble between CB and Kronk?
Yep.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:29 pm

still wondering why i havent been dinged / heard anything yet...been complete since oct, anyone else in my same boat?
Same boat. Applied 10/20. Should be auto-reject. Confused and filled with false hope.

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:11 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:
still wondering why i havent been dinged / heard anything yet...been complete since oct, anyone else in my same boat?
Same boat. Applied 10/20. Should be auto-reject. Confused and filled with false hope.
I don't think it is false hope. You said yourself that you put countless hours into your PS, and I am convinced that SLS pays great attention to them. If Stanford comes through, what's the chance you choose it over Berkeley?

frankjones

New

Post by frankjones » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:29 pm

Does anyone have a clue/care to speculate on the percentage of total offers Stanford will make that they have already put out?

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:35 pm

frankjones wrote:Does anyone have a clue/care to speculate on the percentage of total offers Stanford will make that they have already put out?
60-70%, I would guess, going by LSN.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:48 pm

A quick update (numbers courtesy of LSN):

Stanford: 40 acceptances
Yale: 21 acceptances

These numbers exclude obvious flames.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:57 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:
Oh hai, Shaggier!

Maybe NorCal schools are your niche? Are you going to Boalt ASW?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:51 am

crackberry wrote:A quick update (numbers courtesy of LSN):

Last year:

Stanford: 63 acceptances
Yale: 49 acceptances

Didn't check for flames.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:53 am

crackberry wrote:

Last year:

Didn't check for flames.
Last year total or last year at this time?

(excuse my laziness)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:54 am

groundbreaking admission that will shake tls to its core:

i secretly applied to stanford and am still waiting to hear back. i fully expect them to reject my ttt gpa without so much as a second glance, but a call from palo alto could certainly make my life more complicated.

for someone interested in ny big law, does it to any extent make sense to consider the west coast king over harvard?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:59 am

ConMan345 wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Last year:

Didn't check for flames.
Last year total or last year at this time?

(excuse my laziness)
Total.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:59 am

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:groundbreaking admission that will shake tls to its core:

i secretly applied to stanford and am still waiting to hear back. i fully expect them to reject my ttt gpa without so much as a second glance, but a call from palo alto could certainly make my life more complicated.

for someone interested in ny big law, does it to any extent make sense to consider the west coast king over harvard?
!!!!!
Maybe, if you'd like to live in California for a few years. Probably not though.

I'm really happy you posted this. When'd you submit?

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:01 am

crackberry wrote:

Last year:

Didn't check for flames.
Controlling for the increase in LSN users, controlling for the proportion of that increase applying to SLS/YLS, controlling for the relative caliber of the users from last year to this, controlling for the distribution of acceptances over the respective cycles, this is pretty darn useful.

(in all seriousness, most of this will be a wash, save the difference in LSN users--data on that?)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:04 am

crackberry wrote:
APimpNamedSlickback wrote:groundbreaking admission that will shake tls to its core:

!!!!!
Maybe, if you'd like to live in California for a few years.
i guess at this point i'm just curious to see if they'll let me in, perhaps for financial aid leverage if nothing else. i really just want to work at a v5 pretty badly, so it sounds like H is the way to go unless someone would bother to persuade me otherwise.

have you gotten into yale yet?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:06 am

ConMan345 wrote:Controlling for the increase in LSN users, controlling for the proportion of that increase applying to SLS/YLS, controlling for the relative caliber of the users from last year to this, controlling for the distribution of acceptances over the respective cycles, this is pretty darn useful.

(in all seriousness, most of this will be a wash, save the difference in LSN users--data on that?)
I think it's more telling about YLS than SLS. I think it's believable that Stanford still has 1/3 of its acceptances left to give out. But does Yale really still have 60 percent of its acceptances outstanding? That would be sort of incredible.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:07 am

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:i guess at this point i'm just curious to see if they'll let me in, perhaps for financial aid leverage if nothing else. i really just want to work at a v5 pretty badly, so it sounds like H is the way to go unless someone would bother to persuade me otherwise.

have you gotten into yale yet?
I'm glad you're trying so hard to hide your penchant for prestige-whoring.

And no, I have not.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:09 am

crackberry wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:Controlling for the increase in LSN users, controlling for the proportion of that increase applying to SLS/YLS, controlling for the relative caliber of the users from last year to this, controlling for the distribution of acceptances over the respective cycles, this is pretty darn useful.

I think it's more telling about YLS than SLS. I think it's believable that Stanford still has 1/3 of its acceptances left to give out. But does Yale really still have 60 percent of its acceptances outstanding? That would be sort of incredible.
"The bulk of our admissions decisions are made this month"

From the Yale blog. If we take "bulk" to mean "most," 60% could be right :P

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:10 am

ConMan345 wrote:
crackberry wrote:

True. Wow, well that's sort of encouraging.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:12 am

I have some it's-worth-what-you-pay-for-it advice. If I got into Stanford (which I didn't) and if I wanted a career in ny big law (which I don't), I would pick Stanford over Harvard. Why? Because I think Stanford is a better law school and because I prefer its learning environment to Harvard's. And I would probably have more success in the school I liked better, which would make me a more attractive candidate for a big law job in NY.

Harvard and Stanford are peer schools. If you're into Harvard, go there. If you think you'd like Stanford better, go there instead. It's not rocket science.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:12 am

crackberry wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
crackberry wrote:

True. Wow, well that's sort of encouraging.
Yeah, but in the way that, if you're a 5, a 10 winks at you in a bar.

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:18 am

Dignan wrote:

I have some it's-worth-what-you-pay-for-it advice. If I got into Stanford (which I didn't) and if I wanted a career in ny big law (which I don't), I would pick Stanford over Harvard. Why? Because I think Stanford is a better law school and because I prefer its learning environment to Harvard's. And I would probably have more success in the school I liked better, which would make me a more attractive candidate for a big law job in NY.

Harvard and Stanford are peer schools. If you're into Harvard, go there. If you think you'd like Stanford better, go there instead. It's not rocket science.
fair enough, although i was really hoping for someone to point me toward quantitative comparisons of their respective career placement

but dont bother unless you're already intellectually interested in comparing the two schools since my decision has all but been made and i am interested in this stuff almost entirely out of curiosity. i dont have a snowball's chance at stanford.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”