Stanford 2010!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BlueCivic

Bronze

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Post by BlueCivic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:46 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
BlueCivic wrote:I'll just say that Stanford is unique in being totally non-responsive for so long. It's kind of annoying. They could send a hold message or something. I applied in September and haven't heard anything. Other law schools are able to not keep people waiting for so long without a status update.
TBF, whats the difference between being told you're "held" and just having to wait longer?
That's a fair point. But I think that a hold provides some measure of where an applicant stands--not good enough to get in outright but possibly good enough depending on the broader applicant pile. It's a courtesy to the applicant to not make them wait for 7 months with no idea of their status. A very well informed applicant could infer it from waiting so long with no word (probably a waitlist), but most applicants aren't super well informed on the process and waiting 7 months can take an emotional toll on some.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:54 pm

ProudFather wrote:
adameus wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:
adameus wrote:OK, so I talked with a friend of mine who is a SLS student and knows some people in the admissions office. He says he spoke with one of them today and Stanford has handed out about 80% of its acceptances to date. This is a very reliable source, so I have no reason to doubt him.
Does this count WL acceptances or just the regular admits?
from what I gather it was just the regular admits. I'll try to find out if the person knows forsure though.
That would be consistent with the results on LSN. I see 46 acceptances so far out of 446 visible applicants. The average acceptance rate over the previous three years on LSN is 13.4% (not counting those accepted off the WL), which means we should expect about 60 acceptances this year. This puts the current number of reported LSN acceptances at slightly less than 80% of the expected total.
Here's hoping I'm one of those 14!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:17 pm

ProudFather wrote:
adameus wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:
adameus wrote:OK, so I talked with a friend of mine who is a SLS student and knows some people in the admissions office. He says he spoke with one of them today and Stanford has handed out about 80% of its acceptances to date. This is a very reliable source, so I have no reason to doubt him.
from what I gather it was just the regular admits. I'll try to find out if the person knows forsure though.
That would be consistent with the results on LSN. I see 46 acceptances so far out of 446 visible applicants. The average acceptance rate over the previous three years on LSN is 13.4% (not counting those accepted off the WL), which means we should expect about 60 acceptances this year. This puts the current number of reported LSN acceptances at slightly less than 80% of the expected total.
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

The dream has almost died.

ProudFather

New

Post by ProudFather » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:40 pm

Kronk wrote:
ProudFather wrote:
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

The dream has almost died.
Come on, if they admit almost 400 students each year, then 20% means they still have like 80 left to give. Isn't that enough to keep the dream alive for a little bit longer?

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:07 pm

adameus wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:
I confirmed it. It is regular admits.

My thought is they wouldn't hand out anymore than 300 regular admits, so there are probably no more than 60 regular admits to still hand out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:14 pm

adameus wrote:
adameus wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:
I confirmed it. It is regular admits.

My thought is they wouldn't hand out anymore than 300 regular admits, so there are probably no more than 60 regular admits to still hand out.

Do you have any info on urm admissions?

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:14 pm

what's the stanford area code? I just missed a call from a 233 area code. Now I'm nervous....

Edit: Nevermind, I just googled it and it appears to be some type of scam.
Last edited by adameus on Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:16 pm

adameus wrote:what's the stanford area code? I just missed a call from a 233 area code. Now I'm nervous....
Stanford is (650).

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:21 pm

adameus wrote:what's the stanford area code? I just missed a call from a 233 area code. Now I'm nervous....
233 is the area code for Ghana. Congratulations, you've been accepted by the school of law at the University of Ghana!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University ... lty_of_Law

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:25 pm

crackberry wrote:
Stanford is (650).
Mine came through as a "private caller."

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:42 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Stanford is (650).
So did mine, but some people have reported receiving admit calls from a (650) number. I'm not sure why this is, but the most logical explanation is that Faye uses two separate phones — one that blocks the caller ID and one that does not. Maybe she calls some admits from her cell phone? I don't know. Either way, it's weird, but people have reported both.

ProudFather

New

Post by ProudFather » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:16 pm

crackberry wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Stanford is (650).
So did mine, but some people have reported receiving admit calls from a (650) number. I'm not sure why this is, but the most logical explanation is that Faye uses two separate phones — one that blocks the caller ID and one that does not. Maybe she calls some admits from her cell phone? I don't know. Either way, it's weird, but people have reported both.
maybe the ones who see an actual number are the ones she likes more :D

of course, then there's the rest of us who she won't even call ...

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:25 pm

freezing rain here today, faye wont you call and liberate meeeeee..........i dont care if you use a blocked number :mrgreen:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:11 pm

ProudFather wrote: maybe the ones who see an actual number are the ones she likes more :D

She likes me, she really likes me!

And 20% of Stanford's acceptances still means ~ 80 people. That's not an insignificant number.

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:41 pm

crackberry wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Stanford is (650).
I and a good buddy each received our acceptance from a 650 area code. I recommend keeping this number in your head; seeing 650 pop up reminded me to find a quiet area, collect thoughts, etc.

clyde_barrow

New

Post by clyde_barrow » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:53 am

--LinkRemoved--
from the yale law journal. crack and kronk should appreciate the snarky shot at stanford at the bottom of the 5th page (author is a boalt grad)

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:58 am

is there a reason to think S is admitting more people in april this year than last year? there were only a couple acceptance in april last year on LSN....didn't seem like 20% of the ones handed out overall.....not that i don't hope 20% are still outstanding

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:22 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:is there a reason to think S is admitting more people in april this year than last year? there were only a couple acceptance in april last year on LSN....didn't seem like 20% of the ones handed out overall.....not that i don't hope 20% are still outstanding
yes I agree that this doesn't coincide with the pattern on LSN from last cycle, but I think there are several things that could explain that. First, I think this cycle could just be different. Second, I think LSN probably skews towards the keeners who are going to apply early and therefore be accepted early.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:35 pm

well i hope you're right, and i hope the same thing is going on at H

i think there is legitimate reason to think it might be different this year with the increase in applicants

rolark

New

Post by rolark » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:49 pm

Here's the decision date chart from Chiashu:

--LinkRemoved--l

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:10 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
ProudFather wrote: maybe the ones who see an actual number are the ones she likes more :D

And 20% of Stanford's acceptances still means ~ 80 people. That's not an insignificant number.
In law school admissions, no number is insignificant.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:56 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:

In law school admissions, no number is insignificant.
I'm waiting for Peter North to come in and blast this generalization. Guaranteed he knows two or three specific people who did have a number that was insignificant.

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:28 pm

Just a heads-up for people headed to ASW: today is the last day to get the special $99 rate at the very nice-looking Creekside Inn and other ASW-specific deals. I booked a few hours ago and he said they still have a few rooms.

Probably lots of other good deals elsewhere, but there you go.

regatsrj

Bronze

Post by regatsrj » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:05 pm

Keep in mind that Stanford has historically admitted a significant chunk of its class from the waitlist (something like 25% according to alumni), so many of those LSN green dots could be people who were admitted well after April.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:33 pm

Any idea if they rank the waitlist and will give you any indication of where you stand on it?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”