Stanford 2010!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Illijah

Bronze

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Post by Illijah » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:47 pm

Did anyone get in today?

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:48 pm

astro1819 wrote:
eas331 wrote:Ran the Boston Marathon this morning.
Came home to a rejection letter from Stanford.
Happy that my cycle is over!
:D
Congrats on the Boston Marathon!! What a huge accomplishment, rejection from Stanford is nothing. Glad you can rest easy now, good luck next year!
+1

Nothing in the mail here today.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:07 pm

emrose wrote:
astro1819 wrote:
Congrats on the Boston Marathon!! What a huge accomplishment, rejection from Stanford is nothing. Glad you can rest easy now, good luck next year!
+1

yes Boston is a huge accomplishment and you should be very proud! I have completed a marathon, but my time was not near good enough to qualify for Boston....

opus127

Bronze

Post by opus127 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:06 pm

adameus wrote:
emrose wrote:
astro1819 wrote:
+1

yes Boston is a huge accomplishment and you should be very proud! I have completed a marathon, but my time was not near good enough to qualify for Boston....
Thanks, guys! I qualified last fall, and I finished a few minutes slower than that time today, but that's ok -- Boston's a HARD course.

And no, I'm not disappointed about SLS -- completely expected.

All best to you.

astro1819

Bronze

Post by astro1819 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:29 pm

Well, found the rejection letter at home today. Mailed 4/13. Totally unphased, and super excited to be attending UVA! For those who still care, I didn't write a LOCI, but I submitted targeted letters and mentioned Stanford in the PS.

All in all, I would say that even though Stanford denies it, I think applying early at Stanford helps in the cycle (though for me it wouldn't have made the rejection an acceptance). Beyond that, I would recommend future applicants to reach out through their network and try to find some ties to Stanford and use them. My impression is that they like their own and love those who are super enthusiastic about their school. Just my 2c.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:04 am

astro1819 wrote:Well, found the rejection letter at home today. Mailed 4/13. Totally unphased, and super excited to be attending UVA! For those who still care, I didn't write a LOCI, but I submitted targeted letters and mentioned Stanford in the PS.

All in all, I would say that even though Stanford denies it, I think applying early at Stanford helps in the cycle (though for me it wouldn't have made the rejection an acceptance). Beyond that, I would recommend future applicants to reach out through their network and try to find some ties to Stanford and use them. My impression is that they like their own and love those who are super enthusiastic about their school. Just my 2c.
Ugh. My Stanford tie was too good. He is on the Board of Trustees and said that the one thing he can't do is influence admissions decisions. :|

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:14 am

astro1819 wrote:Well, found the rejection letter at home today. Mailed 4/13. Totally unphased, and super excited to be attending UVA! For those who still care, I didn't write a LOCI, but I submitted targeted letters and mentioned Stanford in the PS.

I would second all of that advice.

clyde_barrow

New

Post by clyde_barrow » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:04 am

hiromoto45 wrote:
saladfiend wrote: BioEBear2010 has no class.
whoever wrote that: GTFO. BioE is the man.

hope y'all get in, whoever's still waiting.

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:07 am

clyde_barrow wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:

:shock: +1000000 on both

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:10 am

nixxers wrote:
clyde_barrow wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:

:shock: +1000000 on both
Thanks guys :D

Also hoping that Faye is still making calls, and that the waitlist will start moving soon!

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:11 am

clyde_barrow wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:

To be honest, I think that it was meant as a joke.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:15 am

BioEBear2010 wrote: Dang ConMan, I didn't realize while talking with you that we have such similar goals (only difference is that I'm interested in IP over energy/environmental)!

Also, sorry if I offended you, saladfiend (or anyone else). That was not my intention at all.
We're good :mrgreen:

Illijah

Bronze

Post by Illijah » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:42 am

I hope those of us who have been dodging the WL's and Rejections are in a good place

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

runrabbit

New

Post by runrabbit » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:51 am

just wanted to add that i called today and i'm still under review. lady told me there are very few people left in this category and that they're aiming to finish up by the end of the month. i honestly can't understand why this process needs to be dragged out at such a tedious, sluggish rate.

KG_CalGuy

Bronze

Post by KG_CalGuy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:22 am

emrose wrote:

Ugh. My Stanford tie was too good. He is on the Board of Trustees and said that the one thing he can't do is influence admissions decisions. :|
Haha, my dad has a co-worker that I wanted to try and make a connection with, but he too has the exact same predicament. Oh well...

Illijah

Bronze

Post by Illijah » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:38 am

My connect helped! :twisted:

but clearly not enough for an autoadmit :(

but i probably should've been rejected by now so :)

astro1819

Bronze

Post by astro1819 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:14 am

KG_CalGuy wrote:
emrose wrote:

Haha, my dad has a co-worker that I wanted to try and make a connection with, but he too has the exact same predicament. Oh well...
OK, let me edit the comment. Random connections who are tied to Stanford but who cannot act as an authority on your ability or how you might perform in Stanford don't really help that much, and they won't help anywhere really.

But I am convinced that if you were an RA for a Stanford faculty member, or if you were a coworker with a Stanford alumni, etc, then those recommendations would carry extra weight because they can both account for your abilities relative to other Stanford students as well as attest to how you'd fare in the Stanford environment. Not that everyone has those connections, but it's my impression that they really do help.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:22 am

Any other 167/3.8+ URMs on the waitlist?

jasmoon

New

Post by jasmoon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:41 am

I am with similar stats. Are you going to ride it out Core?

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:44 am

Waitlisted yesterday. I’m wondering how I should approach this... I'm definitely going to send a LOCI about some interesting stuff I've been doing. I want to try to visit, but it’s tough since I live on the east coast and work full-time. Stanford would be huge, so I'd definitely do all I could to make time to visit. I was wondering if I should send in a LOCI now, then visit, and then send in another LOCI about my visit. What do you guys think? Is that overkill? Should I even bother to get a recommendation from my employer or are they only interested in academic recommendations? My work experience is kinda interesting and I'll probably talk about it in a LOCI. Thanks guys! Congrats to everyone that was admitted, and good luck to all other fellow WL'ers!

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:54 am

jasmoon wrote:I am with similar stats. Are you going to ride it out Core?
Yup. You? Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

theadw

Bronze

Post by theadw » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:55 am

doinmybest wrote:Waitlisted yesterday. I’m wondering how I should approach this... I'm definitely going to send a LOCI about some interesting stuff I've been doing. I want to try to visit, but it’s tough since I live on the east coast and work full-time. Stanford would be huge, so I'd definitely do all I could to make time to visit. I was wondering if I should send in a LOCI now, then visit, and then send in another LOCI about my visit. What do you guys think? Is that overkill? Should I even bother to get a recommendation from my employer or are they only interested in academic recommendations? My work experience is kinda interesting and I'll probably talk about it in a LOCI. Thanks guys! Congrats to everyone that was admitted, and good luck to all other fellow WL'ers!
I know that it's a different school & all, but I suspect that the same principle applies.

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... alker.aspx

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:08 pm

theadw wrote:
doinmybest wrote:Waitlisted yesterday. I’m wondering how I should approach this... I'm definitely going to send a LOCI about some interesting stuff I've been doing. I want to try to visit, but it’s tough since I live on the east coast and work full-time. Stanford would be huge, so I'd definitely do all I could to make time to visit. I was wondering if I should send in a LOCI now, then visit, and then send in another LOCI about my visit. What do you guys think? Is that overkill? Should I even bother to get a recommendation from my employer or are they only interested in academic recommendations? My work experience is kinda interesting and I'll probably talk about it in a LOCI. Thanks guys! Congrats to everyone that was admitted, and good luck to all other fellow WL'ers!
I know that it's a different school & all, but I suspect that the same principle applies.

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... alker.aspx
Thanks that blog was very helpful. So maybe I should wait until after my visit to submit 1 LOCI? According to this Yale blog, I shouldn't send in any additional recs that are not academic. Can anyone confirm that this is the way Stanford feels as well?

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:42 pm

Got my WL in the mail yesterday, it was dated April 12. I guess it took a little while to arrive in Canada.
I'm going to stick it out for a while but I'm not sure how long. Boston is a long way from Palo Alto so its hard to plan for one while being tentative about the other.

jasmoon

New

Post by jasmoon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:46 pm

Core wrote:
jasmoon wrote:I am with similar stats. Are you going to ride it out Core?
Yup. You? Glad to see I'm not the only one.
Yea, at least for a while. Stanford's your first choice, right?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”