Stanford 2010!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BenJ

Silver

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Post by BenJ » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:17 pm

Yale receives far fewer applications than other top schools because more people just assume they won't get in. Also, Stanford has a much lower yield rate than Yale, so they have to admit more people, in absolute numbers, to fill their class. (While very few people take anything over Yale, a fairly significant number will take Harvard or Yale over Stanford, a full scholarship at CCN over Stanford, etc.)

I think Stanford, like Berkeley, has a somewhat artificially inflated selectivity rate because everyone and their dog from California wants to go there and so applies, even if they have little or no chance of admission. This is not really true of almost any other group of schools. Not that both aren't highly selective anyway, but they get more auto-reject applicants than most schools.

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:27 pm

BenJ wrote:Yale receives far fewer applications than other top schools because more people just assume they won't get in. Also, Stanford has a much lower yield rate than Yale, so they have to admit more people, in absolute numbers, to fill their class. (While very few people take anything over Yale, a fairly significant number will take Harvard or Yale over Stanford, a full scholarship at CCN over Stanford, etc.)

I think Stanford, like Berkeley, has a somewhat artificially inflated selectivity rate because everyone and their dog from California wants to go there and so applies, even if they have little or no chance of admission. This is not really true of almost any other group of schools. Not that both aren't highly selective anyway, but they get more auto-reject applicants than most schools.
My dog prefers Cal. I have been trying to convince him otherwise w/o sucess.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:31 pm

BenJ wrote: I think Stanford, like Berkeley, has a somewhat artificially inflated selectivity rate because everyone and their dog from California wants to go there and so applies, even if they have little or no chance of admission. This is not really true of almost any other group of schools. Not that both aren't highly selective anyway, but they get more auto-reject applicants than most schools.
I think what you write is much more true of Berkeley than it is of Stanford. SLS's application volume isn't that high for a top school. Columbia and Harvard, to name a couple of similarly ranked schools, get twice as many applications as Stanford.

Although everyone in Cali seems to feel like they have a shot at Berkeley, I find that people are more realistic about Stanford. According to the stats maintained by my California undergrad school, 67 applicants applied to Berkeley law year; 10 applied to Stanford.

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:35 pm

Dignan wrote:
BenJ wrote: I think Stanford, like Berkeley, has a somewhat artificially inflated selectivity rate because everyone and their dog from California wants to go there and so applies, even if they have little or no chance of admission. This is not really true of almost any other group of schools. Not that both aren't highly selective anyway, but they get more auto-reject applicants than most schools.
I think what you write is much more true of Berkeley than it is of Stanford. SLS's application volume isn't that high for a top school. Columbia and Harvard, to name a couple of similarly ranked schools, get twice as many applications as Stanford.

Although everyone in Cali seems to feel like they have a shot at Berkeley, I find that people are more realistic about Stanford. According to the stats maintained by my California undergrad school, 67 applicants applied to Berkeley law year; 10 applied to Stanford.
And it seems that Berkeley has a more solid following in the Asian community. For some reason many of my Asian friends' parents think Berkeley is THE school in California.

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:39 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
Dignan wrote:

And it seems that Berkeley has a more solid following in the Asian community. For some reason many of my Asian friends' parents think Berkeley is THE school in California.
Berkeley is cheaper. A lot of my Asian friends, when applying to UG, only applied to the UCs (even though many of them had stellar GPA/SAT/ECs/etc). Their reason? Why go spend a ton of $$$ on an elite private school when you can get a similar education at Cal or UCLA?

I know that law school is different by its very nature as a professional school, but I think that thought remains.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:44 pm

For undergrad that makes sense. Not so much for law school, imo.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:52 pm

Dignan wrote:

You're right, I think. At least, Berk gets it a lot more than Stanford does. Still, Stanford's class size is a lot smaller than half of Harvard's (558 1Ls at Harvard against just 171 at Stanford). I suppose being a smaller school boosts selectivity, too, although I don't think that can be deemed "artificial".

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:54 pm

Kronk wrote:Don't they usually accept on Fridays?

And on LSN, Stanford had like ~35 acceptances last I checked, which was less than halfway to the number they had on LSN last cycle.
Iit is both Tuesdays and Fridays.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:56 pm

I think I'm inclined to take 3 years in a much nicer location with the slightly ugliest of the 3 hottest girls at the dance than take the slightly hotter one and deal with Noreasters for 3 years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:02 pm

How much higher is Stanford's yield rate than Columbia's? Chicago's?

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:03 pm

crackberry wrote:How much higher is Stanford's yield rate than Columbia's? Chicago's?
Stanford: 43%
Columbia: 34%
Chicago: 25%

The Columbia-Chicago difference was a big surprise.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:04 pm

BenJ wrote:
crackberry wrote:How much higher is Stanford's yield rate than Columbia's? Chicago's?

Ivy league and NYC. Also more selective.

Notable: Berkeley (34%)

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:05 pm

BenJ wrote:

East Coast bias, Chicago doesn't have much lay prestige, and no one wants to live in Hyde Park.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:07 pm

Kronk wrote:Notable: Berkeley (34%)
I think this could be somewhat attributable to Berkeley's penchant for high GPAs (sometimes at the expense of [relatively] low LSAT sores). A kid with a 165, 3.9 who gets into Berkeley is almost definitely going to go.

Other top schools aren't as affected by this sort of behavior, I don't think (in other words, a kid who gets into one of HYS is going to get into at least one of CCN almost for sure, etc.).

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:07 pm

crackberry wrote:
I think this could be somewhat attributable to Berkeley's penchant for high GPAs (sometimes at the expense of [relatively] low LSAT sores). A kid with a 165, 3.9 who gets into Berkeley is almost definitely going to go.

Other top schools aren't as affected by this sort of behavior, I don't think (in other words, a kid who gets into one of HYS is going to get into at least one of CCN almost for sure, etc.).
Perhaps, but it's impressive given their acceptance rate (11%--lower than Harvard) imo.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:08 pm

Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Perhaps, but it's impressive given their acceptance rate (11%--lower than Harvard) imo.
Oh come on, Boalt is a TTT, you know that.

Fuck Cal.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:08 pm

Kronk wrote:
BenJ wrote:

Answering my own q here, there's also some evidence for soft-YP at Columbia with the holds recently. I don't think there's any evidence of YP at Chicago.
State school = lower tuition for in-staters = higher yield (less and less true every year for Berkeley, but the perception is almost as strong as the reality)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:11 pm

crackberry wrote: Oh come on, Boalt is a TTT, you know that.

Fuck Cal.
Did you catch this crack? [1] In 2009, Berkeley Law tied for the third highest number of graduates placed in law teaching positions, trailing only Yale and Harvard. See --LinkRemoved-- (Note that Harvard and Michigan have much larger class sizes, so Berkeley Law's placement numbers are even better on a per-capita basis. Berkeley Law's placement numbers on these rankings also do not include graduates of our J.S.P. program who received their J.D. degrees from another law school.)

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:12 pm

BenJ wrote:
Kronk wrote:
BenJ wrote:

Answering my own q here, there's also some evidence for soft-YP at Columbia with the holds recently. I don't think there's any evidence of YP at Chicago.
State school = lower tuition for in-staters = higher yield (less and less true every year for Berkeley, but the perception is almost as strong as the reality)
How does this become less true every year?

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:14 pm

Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote: Oh come on, Boalt is a TTT, you know that.

Fuck Cal.
Did you catch this crack? [1] In 2009, Berkeley Law tied for the third highest number of graduates placed in law teaching positions, trailing only Yale and Harvard. See --LinkRemoved-- (Note that Harvard and Michigan have much larger class sizes, so Berkeley Law's placement numbers are even better on a per-capita basis. Berkeley Law's placement numbers on these rankings also do not include graduates of our J.S.P. program who received their J.D. degrees from another law school.)
Still trying to convince yourself? :lol:

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:18 pm

Nah, just messing with crack. We all know Stanford > Berkeley for most things. Though I think it's questionable for public interest.

In either case, that link makes me feel better about taking Berkeley over Chicago or NYU.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:20 pm

adameus wrote:How does this become less true every year?
Berkeley's tuition is soaring, so the price advantage is declining.

protokurios

Bronze

Post by protokurios » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:20 pm

adameus wrote:How does this become less true every year?
$50K in-state tuition for 2011-2012.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:22 pm

According to Berkeley, they are making those raises in tuition but expect their peer schools to be even higher. But no one has released that info yet.

onwisconsin25

New

Post by onwisconsin25 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:29 pm

I applied in September and was complete October 2 and still haven't heard anything! Just send my rejection already so I can put down a deposit somewhere

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”