Stanford 2010!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CardinalRules

Gold

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Post by CardinalRules » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:05 pm

crackberry wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:Did she call everyone from an unknown #? She called me from a 650 number...
There was at least one other person on TLS who reported getting a call from (650), but the majority have been "Unknown" or "Private" number or whatever.
She called me from a "private caller" number.

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:08 pm

She called me at 7:30 P.M. So I don't think there's any way of predicting it.
7:30 pm on the East coast=4:30 at Stanford? Or is she really making calls after normal business hours?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:15 pm

amputatedbrain wrote:
7:30 pm on the East coast=4:30 at Stanford? Or is she really making calls after normal business hours?
Right. 4:30 at Stanford is normal business hours, regardless of what time it is on the East Coast.

Lysis

Bronze

Post by Lysis » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:17 pm

crackberry wrote:
amputatedbrain wrote:
Right. 4:30 at Stanford is normal business hours, regardless of what time it is on the East Coast.
Yep, sorry--thought that would be clear. She called at 7:30 EST / 4:30 PST.

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:01 am

Anyone with approaching deadlines have any luck e-mailing the admissions office and requesting a decision by the end of the month/a specific date, or is that inappropriate?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:11 am

Core wrote:Anyone with approaching deadlines have any luck e-mailing the admissions office and requesting a decision by the end of the month/a specific date, or is that inappropriate?
I advise against doing this, particularly with a school like SLS.

Assume, for a moment, that you are in a group of borderline applicants that SLS is going to deal with at the very end of its cycle, in April. You write in now and ask for SLS to accelerate its decision for you. I think the best that can happen is that SLS politely writes back to tell you that they are still in the process of reviewing your application. The worst that can happen is that they actually do what you ask. You can guess what the decision is going to be.

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:12 am

Dignan wrote:
Core wrote:Anyone with approaching deadlines have any luck e-mailing the admissions office and requesting a decision by the end of the month/a specific date, or is that inappropriate?

Assume, for a moment, that you are in a group of borderline applicants that SLS is going to deal with at the very end of its cycle, in April. You write in now and ask for SLS to accelerate its decision for you. I think the best that can happen is that SLS politely writes back to tell you that they are still in the process of reviewing your application. The worst that can happen is that they actually do what you ask. You can guess what the decision is going to be.
Haha, sounds about right. Thanks.

cflames7

New

Post by cflames7 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:00 am

Dignan wrote:

For what it is worth, I wrote both HLS and SLS earlier this last Friday and shared the scholarships I had been offered. I told the schools about my enrollment deadlines and reiterated my interest in studying at HLS/SLS.

Guess what? HLS phone me yesterday with an offer!

So, I don't know if my email (I compiled it like a LOCI) gave me the bump or was insignificant. But nobody else, as far as I can tell, only two offers of admission were posted on TLS yesterday.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:42 am

Does anyone know how Stanford notifies Canadian applicants for both admits and dings?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:16 pm

would sending a non-targeted rec letter help at this point? I already sent a LOCI (pretty bland since i haven't done anything since i submitted but work) but i have another rec letter stashed at lsac that i didn't send stanford.......but it's not specific to stanford at all.

thoughts?

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:34 pm

tintin wrote:would sending a non-targeted rec letter help at this point? I already sent a LOCI (pretty bland since i haven't done anything since i submitted but work) but i have another rec letter stashed at lsac that i didn't send stanford.......but it's not specific to stanford at all.

thoughts?
Is it a strong LOR? Does the recommender comment on an aspect of your resume or personality that isn't mentioned in your other recommendations? If so, then I would definitely send it.

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:35 pm

tintin wrote:would sending a non-targeted rec letter help at this point? I already sent a LOCI (pretty bland since i haven't done anything since i submitted but work) but i have another rec letter stashed at lsac that i didn't send stanford.......but it's not specific to stanford at all.

thoughts?
Hey tintin, I think the answer depends largely on who wrote the letter and whether it says anything different from the other letters you sent to Stanford. If it is mostly similar in content to the other letters, I definitely would not send it. Have you thought about soliciting a targeted letter from someone?

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:40 pm

it's probably not vastly different from my other two, and the prof didn't know me as well as the writers of my other two letters. yeah, after thinking more, it probably isn't a great idea to send it. I wish I could think of someone to write a nice, different targeted letter for me in the next few days, but I just can't....oh well. a lost cause i guess.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

theadw

Bronze

Post by theadw » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:42 am

Dignan wrote:

This advice seems sounder than it actually is. I requested expedited consideration of my application (my s/o has to make a PhD enrollment decision by the 15th of April), and SLS was very solicitous. I was admitted about five business days after making the request.

Also, I've been visiting for the last few days, and SLS is pretty grand.

Herb Watchfell

Bronze

Post by Herb Watchfell » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:58 am

theadw wrote:I've been visiting for the last few days, and SLS is pretty grand . . . as in "grand larceny." $42,420 for that crack of shit diploma? You cannot be serious.
fixed.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:06 am

theadw wrote:
Dignan wrote:

This advice seems sounder than it actually is. I requested expedited consideration of my application (my s/o has to make a PhD enrollment decision by the 15th of April), and SLS was very solicitous. I was admitted about five business days after making the request.
I have no inside information about the SLS admissions office, so take my advice for what it's worth. But I stand by my initial assessment.

Look, if SLS is already inclined to admit you, and if they are planning to inform you within a week or two anyway, then I'm sure it won't hurt to ask for an expedited decision. But if you're in a borderline pile that they plan to get to in April, I doubt that asking for an expedited decision will work in your favor.

Like I said, I have no special insight into how the SLS admissions office thinks. We do, however, have some insight into how the YLS admissions office thinks (check out http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissions/default.aspx). It sure seems like YLS would frown upon a request to expedite a decision. SLS might be different, but I wouldn't risk it.

Edit: Here is a quote from the Yale blog. Actually, they're less hostile than I thought. They won't expedite if you ask, but they will give you a rough sense of when you can expect to hear back:
If you are facing a looming financial aid or scholarship deadline (and schools ethically shouldn't be giving you these before April 1), you can email us at admissions.law@yale.edu with your name, LSAC number, the scholarship, and the deadline, and we will make a note of it. While we cannot expedite a review of your application, we can make sure you receive a notification as fast as possible once a decision is made, or at least give you a time frame in which you can expect a decision, so that you can ask for an extension of the deadline, if possible. (Note that we do verify the scholarship/deadline, so please don't make something up). We will usually get back to you a couple of days before your deadline, so you don't need to keep emailing if you don't get an immediate response -- we're working on it.
Alright...I take back my initial advice. I still wouldn't ask SLS to expedite, but I am probably just being a little paranoid. Do what seems right to you.

fingerscrossed88

New

Post by fingerscrossed88 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:58 pm

Hi everyone! First time posting in this thread ... I got the call from Dean Deal about a week ago (Mar 5)! I'm super excited and honored :) and I can't wait to look through the admissions packet when I go get it from my school post office tomorrow!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dutchstriker

Bronze

Post by dutchstriker » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:01 pm

Why won't she call me? :(

fingerscrossed88

New

Post by fingerscrossed88 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:51 pm

dutchstriker wrote:Why won't she call me? :(
:( Sorry ... if it helps, she called almost exactly two months to the day after I went complete at Stanford and three months after I applied?

protokurios

Bronze

Post by protokurios » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:11 pm

fingerscrossed88 wrote:
:( Sorry ... if it helps, she called almost exactly two months to the day after I went complete at Stanford and three months after I applied?
Hahaha that doesn't help some of us...some of us applied in Sept/Oct and haven't heard yet.

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:00 pm

How do you they send out denials? I am just wondering whether I should fear checking my email, checking my mail, or both?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

protokurios

Bronze

Post by protokurios » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:12 pm

Rejections via snail mail, acceptances via phone call.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:35 am

+1 and I'm not even sure if I should expect a call as no one seems to know if she calls international applicants.

I haven't even gotten a complete email, is this normal?

Haribo

Bronze

Post by Haribo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:53 am

adameus wrote:

+1 and I'm not even sure if I should expect a call as no one seems to know if she calls international applicants.

I haven't even gotten a complete email, is this normal?
Last year she emailed international applicants (I think. At least, she emailed me.) I don't know about Canadians, but I imagine non-North American international accepted students will get an email again this year.

snowmonkey

New

Post by snowmonkey » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:35 am

theadw wrote:
Dignan wrote:

Also, I've been visiting for the last few days, and SLS is pretty grand.
Theadw, how did you submit the request for expedited consideration? I think I am going this route -- I am facing an April 1 deadline for a scholarship that would be almost impossible to turn down without an acceptance from Stanford, so I think I have nothing to lose. But I have already submitted a LOCI (via email) to Stanford -- I did so before I heard about my other deadline. Do you think I should just send a straight-forward email?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”