Stanford 2010!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Core

Silver

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Post by Core » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:07 pm

SR86 wrote:In! Just got the call. Wow I never thought my cycle would end like this it's great. Just as I was on my way to SFO and the HLS ASW...
Congrats!

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:14 pm

SR86 wrote:In! Just got the call. Wow I never thought my cycle would end like this it's great. Just as I was on my way to SFO and the HLS ASW...
I see you're an international student and studied physics, but is there anything else you think set you apart? We have the same LSAT score!

lawyering

Bronze

Post by lawyering » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:33 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
lawyering wrote:Withdrawing from SLS today. Hope that opens up a spot for someone! :D
Have you decided on Yale? :)

I'm 99% yale...but the added $ from HLS this week (I can't believe I'm turning down HLS tuition-free) has made the decision a leeetle more difficult. I'll probably wait until the end of the month to finalize it one way or the other.

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:36 pm

lawyering wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
lawyering wrote:Withdrawing from SLS today. Hope that opens up a spot for someone! :D

I'm 99% yale...but the added $ from HLS this week (I can't believe I'm turning down HLS tuition-free) has made the decision a leeetle more difficult. I'll probably wait until the end of the month to finalize it one way or the other.
wow, super impressive, that is a difficult decision...i don't know that i could turn down a free ride from harvard, even for yale :lol:

lawyering

Bronze

Post by lawyering » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:39 pm

tintin wrote:
lawyering wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:

wow, super impressive, that is a difficult decision...i don't know that i could turn down a free ride from harvard, even for yale :lol:
Two things (that I keep repeating to myself when I start to wonder if I'm insane to turn harvard down):

1) My heart tells me to go to Yale, and

2) I got enough need aid from Yale, and COAP will (hopefully) make the added loan debt meaningless.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:46 pm

lawyering wrote:
Two things (that I keep repeating to myself when I start to wonder if I'm insane to turn harvard down):

1) My heart tells me to go to Yale, and

2) I got enough need aid from Yale, and COAP will (hopefully) make the added loan debt meaningless.
yeah, i think with a degree from yale debt should not be your overriding concern, especially with IBR, etc. after doing so great you deserve to go where you really want to!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:48 pm

Congrats to the new admits!

bloodonthetracks

Bronze

Post by bloodonthetracks » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:51 pm

crackberry wrote:Congrats to the new admits!
+1. and was that the first reported waitlist?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:54 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:
crackberry wrote:Congrats to the new admits!
+1. and was that the first reported waitlist?
Was going to note that as well. Dutchstriker got one too, on March 31, when he told them he needed a decision quickly because of his NYU deadline.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chopsticks3092

New

Post by chopsticks3092 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:00 pm

lawyering wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:

Wait, how are you getting HLS tuition-free? Just from need-based aid? Sorry if I missed something a while back.

SR86

New

Post by SR86 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:12 pm

tintin wrote:
way to go!! are you leaning towards HLS or SLS? that must be great to have those choices!

edit: youre #s also give me a slight hope
I'm 100% torn. I'll be going to both ASWs and hopefully that will help me decide.
Core wrote:I see you're an international student and studied physics, but is there anything else you think set you apart? We have the same LSAT score!
Now that my cycle is over I will out myself. I'm currently at Stanford doing a physics PhD, however I am quitting (with a Master's) to go to law school. I have a fellowship from Stanford (university-wide in the sciences and engineering). 2 of my LORs were from Stanford profs including my PhD advisor who wrote a very strong recommendation. I think those are the things that made my app stand out.

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:48 pm

SR86 wrote:
tintin wrote:
way to go!! are you leaning towards HLS or SLS? that must be great to have those choices!

edit: youre #s also give me a slight hope
I'm 100% torn. I'll be going to both ASWs and hopefully that will help me decide.
Core wrote:I see you're an international student and studied physics, but is there anything else you think set you apart? We have the same LSAT score!
Now that my cycle is over I will out myself. I'm currently at Stanford doing a physics PhD, however I am quitting (with a Master's) to go to law school. I have a fellowship from Stanford (university-wide in the sciences and engineering). 2 of my LORs were from Stanford profs including my PhD advisor who wrote a very strong recommendation. I think those are the things that made my app stand out.
Awesome. Where are you leaning?

MichelledeMontaigne

New

Post by MichelledeMontaigne » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:50 pm

I don't mean to be an ass or anything, but this might be whats wrong with the U.S right now. We need more scientists, engineers, doctors but so many people end up going to law school. The market needs to fix this because I die a little inside everytime I hear of a scientist/doctor to-be going to law school. Anyways I'm sure you had good reasons for your choice and I wish you all the best.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:53 pm

lawyering wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:

How did you get HLS tuition free? :shock:

I thought the max they give was ~30k in grants.

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:56 pm

MichelledeMontaigne wrote:I don't mean to be an ass or anything, but this might be whats wrong with the U.S right now. We need more scientists, engineers, doctors but so many people end up going to law school. The market needs to fix this because I die a little inside everytime I hear of a scientist/doctor to-be going to law school. Anyways I'm sure you had good reasons for your choice and I wish you all the best.
We just as desperately need more people in law/policy who actually understand science.

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:01 pm

Got the call about an hour ago. INNNNN!!!!! Really never saw this coming . . . if any other new admits are at the Berkeley ASW right now, send me a PM

theadw

Bronze

Post by theadw » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:03 pm

amputatedbrain wrote:Got the call about an hour ago. INNNNN!!!!! Really never saw this coming . . . if any other new admits are at the Berkeley ASW right now, send me a PM
Congratulations to you & the others -- big day at SLS

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ProudFather

New

Post by ProudFather » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:33 pm

SR86 wrote: Now that my cycle is over I will out myself. I'm currently at Stanford doing a physics PhD, however I am quitting (with a Master's) to go to law school. I have a fellowship from Stanford (university-wide in the sciences and engineering). 2 of my LORs were from Stanford profs including my PhD advisor who wrote a very strong recommendation. I think those are the things that made my app stand out.
Wow, I guess my situation's not that unique :D

I could have written almsot exactly the same post, except I'm in a different department and I'm going to finish the PhD (since I only have one year left).
notanumber wrote:
MichelledeMontaigne wrote:I don't mean to be an ass or anything, but this might be whats wrong with the U.S right now. We need more scientists, engineers, doctors but so many people end up going to law school. The market needs to fix this because I die a little inside everytime I hear of a scientist/doctor to-be going to law school. Anyways I'm sure you had good reasons for your choice and I wish you all the best.
We just as desperately need more people in law/policy who actually understand science.
Exactly. I honestly struggled with this issue, and sort of decided that if the market does need fixing (which I think you're right, it does), then it's going to take policy makers who understand both sides to do it.

Besides, there's got to be a place for those of us who love science/engineering but realize that we're just not interested in making a career out of doing it every day. At least I hope there is ...

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:42 pm

Congratulations to everyone who got the call today!!! :D

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:35 pm

CardinalRules wrote:Congratulations to everyone who got the call today!!! :D
+1
You guys seem like especially interesting applicants.
Think there will be more acceptances, or was that the end of our dream?

rotflawl

New

Post by rotflawl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:47 pm

Core wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:Congratulations to everyone who got the call today!!! :D
+1
You guys seem like especially interesting applicants.
Think there will be more acceptances, or was that the end of our dream?
As my ringtone sings, "Don't stop believing." Now if only my phone would ring with Stanford on the line...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:23 pm

congrats to all the new admits!!!!!

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:51 pm

so, if we we look at past cycles and some of the comments people posted on LSN it looks like the last round of acceptances will probably be next week. Everyone who hasn't heard by that point will likely be a WL or a rejection.

Was anyone else really hoping to hear by this week so that they could still attend the ASW? any chance they will send out some admits over the weekend?

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:04 pm

adameus wrote:any chance they will send out some admits over the weekend?
You never know, but it seems unlikely.

bloodonthetracks

Bronze

Post by bloodonthetracks » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:06 pm

what i fear is that sending an LOCI only delayed my decision.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”