Stanford 2010!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
astro1819

Bronze

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Post by astro1819 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:49 pm

Just called, letter mailed 4/13. Somehow I haven't received it yet. Does anyone recall whether 4/13 batch was WL or rejection? Either way I won't be there, UVA here I come!

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:51 pm

astro1819 wrote:Just called, letter mailed 4/13. Somehow I haven't received it yet. Does anyone recall whether 4/13 batch was WL or rejection? Either way I won't be there, UVA here I come!
Could they tell you if you were rejected or WL?

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:53 pm

WL - dated to 4/15. Going to ride it out, but damn. I really thought I had a shot...

Illijah

Bronze

Post by Illijah » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:54 pm

still no word....

astro1819

Bronze

Post by astro1819 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:54 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:
astro1819 wrote:Just called, letter mailed 4/13. Somehow I haven't received it yet. Does anyone recall whether 4/13 batch was WL or rejection? Either way I won't be there, UVA here I come!
Could they tell you if you were rejected or WL?
Good question, I forgot to ask. I thought about that after I hung up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nawktasy

New

Post by nawktasy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:55 pm

My WL letter was dated April 12 and postmarked April 13. So, I think it's a WL.

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:56 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
adameus wrote:is anyone updating anywhere on the ASW?
I recently posted in the Stanford ASW thread, but didn't say anything substantial...so here's my attempt to both rectify that and give SLS a good, hard sell :D:

The ASW was simply amazing. I was there for just over a day, but it felt like much longer (in a good way!). I had planned on attending some classes tomorrow, but unfortunately I came down with some sort of bug and decided to head back to Berkeley instead of infecting everyone.

Anyway, Stanford truly pulled out all the stops, putting together a schedule full of interesting and fun events. The forums and panels with faculty, alumni, and current students were informative and candid. The professors and current students were incredibly friendly and helpful, and seemed genuinely happy to be at Stanford. Dean Kramer and the other professors that I met all have magnetic personalities, and I loved simply hearing them speak. Their enthusiasm rubbed off on the admits, and everyone had a great time meeting one another.

Here's a brief play-by-play of my Saturday:
I arrived in Palo Alto around 11am, and after dropping off my luggage I went to lunch. Dean Kramer gave a great speech, and we got to meet the other admits and current students at our table. I went to a panel on Law, Economics, & Business afterward, and then to a small group discussion with a current 1L, 2L, and 3L (they answered all of our questions, including numerous "Harvard and Yale are great at XYZ, how does Stanford compare?" type questions). I then went to a viewing and discussion of My Cousin Vinny -- we would watch a scene from the movie, and then Kramer, Weisberg, Bankman, and Karlan would discuss the scene in a broader legal context and crack jokes. Dinner followed, and then a small group of students and I got to go to Professor Goldstein's house for a dessert reception. Professor Goldstein does copyright & soft IP, which are fields I am very interested in, so it was wonderful to speak with him (and his lovely wife). Afterward, most of us went to Palo Alto Bowl for, you guessed it, bowling. We also got a free drink (although many of us got more) and pizza, and we had a great time drinking, bowling, and socializing. Most students went to their hotel rooms afterward, but my buddy and I managed to land a room in Munger for the night, so we wandered around campus for a while before heading to bed.

Also, it must be noted that the campus is simply gorgeous (although I think the law school architecture leaves something to be desired), and the weather these past two days has been nothing short of heavenly. Right before I left for Caltrain, I got a chance to play soccer and tan on the field adjacent to the law school.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I'm still really giddy with excitement from the ASW!
This post makes me wildly jealous. :( I have to wait until nearly the end of the day to get my mail.

astro1819

Bronze

Post by astro1819 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:57 pm

Illijah wrote:still no word....
I would call today, at this point I would be surprised if they haven't made a decision.

saladfiend

New

Post by saladfiend » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:11 pm

I'm a silent observer of this thread. I thought I'd ask a question of the peanut gallery :-).

I finally summoned the courage to call Stanford's admission office today, and I learned that my application is still under review; no decision has been mailed. Is there anything I can do at this point, and can I make any prediction? My gut tells me the answer to those questions is "no."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:14 pm

saladfiend wrote:I'm a silent observer of this thread. I thought I'd ask a question of the peanut gallery :-).

I finally summoned the courage to call Stanford's admission office today, and I learned that my application is still under review; no decision has been mailed. Is there anything I can do at this point, and can I make any prediction? My gut tells me the answer to those questions is "no."

Also, BioEBear2010 has no class.

You can send a LOCI. Or fly over there. When did you apply? I think they are doing it in chronological order.

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:15 pm

saladfiend wrote:I'm a silent observer of this thread. I thought I'd ask a question of the peanut gallery :-).

I'm in the same boat as you and the answer is I don't know. There are signs that all but a very few acceptances (if any) are left. It could be that they are waiting to see if they put us on the waitlist or ding us outright. That is what I think. And if I get a wait list I'll be ecstatic.

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:16 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:

You can send a LOCI. Or fly over there. When did you apply? I think they are doing it in chronological order.
Would it really make a difference to fly over there? If it would I would do it, but I think that would make me look desperate.

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:17 pm

Hey-O wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:

Would it really make a difference to fly over there? If it would I would do it, but I think that would make me look desperate.
If I could I would, I think it shows initiative. Maybe its harder to reject someone you met than a person on paper.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:31 pm

Hey-O wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:

Don't waste the money on a plane ticket. Send the LOCI, which will be effective without suggesting desperation.

saladfiend

New

Post by saladfiend » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:40 pm

I sent a LOCI in March, and I don't really have anything new to say. My family lives a 15-minute drive from Stanford, and I happen to be visiting home right now, so I could drop by the office, but I don't think that would be tactful. Also, I applied in mid-November, so I didn't apply that late.

astro1819

Bronze

Post by astro1819 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:22 pm

saladfiend wrote:I sent a LOCI in March, and I don't really have anything new to say. My family lives a 15-minute drive from Stanford, and I happen to be visiting home right now, so I could drop by the office, but I don't think that would be tactful. Also, I applied in mid-November, so I didn't apply that late.
I applied in January, so I don't think they're making decisions in chronological order as someone suggested above.

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:31 pm

astro1819 wrote:
saladfiend wrote:I sent a LOCI in March, and I don't really have anything new to say. My family lives a 15-minute drive from Stanford, and I happen to be visiting home right now, so I could drop by the office, but I don't think that would be tactful. Also, I applied in mid-November, so I didn't apply that late.
I applied in January, so I don't think they're making decisions in chronological order as someone suggested above.
Yeah on lsn there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the people still pending. Although it does seem that it is more likely to be pending if you applied in late January.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:39 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:

wow! what was with the BioEBear2010 has no class line??????? where did that come from?

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:53 pm

Hey-O wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:

It's been suggested that these rules apply equally among HYS WLs:
http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... alker.aspx

But if it's any consolation, I've been considering doing the same since I've never visited Stanford's campus and can't imagine making a decision sight unseen.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:06 pm

Core wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:Hey everybody, just a note that I updated my lsn profile with more detail since my cycle is over. no, I haven't decided ><
I'd love to have to make that decision lol.
What are your goals?
Thanks! Ya, it's a wonderful dilemma to have, certainly.

As far as goals, I would like to work in the Bay Area after law school, but I would also like to get away from the Bay Area for law school (hmm, I wonder where I went to ugrad... :P ). I'm interested in energy/natural resources/environmental law generally (private-sector focused). At this point, as I'm compiling my pros and cons list, Stanford is looking mighty fine. Dean Kramer made a very convincing argument as to why Stanford is a great choice. It's pretty clear that legal education is in a state of flux (moving away from simply teaching you "how to think like a lawyer" to doing that, but also doing much more to train you to be a lawyer before you graduate), and there are many indications that Stanford is leading the charge to the latter. Harvard has taken some steps as well (the problem solving workshop, more clinics), but Stanford's naturally entrepreneurial spirit is already several steps ahead. You can take entire quarters and do a clinic full time, 9-5 (students appeared in front of the Ninth Circuit last quarter in the environmental law clinic), you can do externships (work at a law firm/non-profit for credit), you can take classes in other parts of the university, getting joint degrees is incredibly easily, etc. The quarter system has it's drawbacks (can't cover as much), but it really affords greater flexibility to do things like this.

These, in the end, are pretty fine distinctions, and the beginning and end of every conversation like this is "You can't go wrong going to either school."

opus127

Bronze

Post by opus127 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:16 pm

Ran the Boston Marathon this morning.
Came home to a rejection letter from Stanford.
Happy that my cycle is over!
:D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:34 pm

eas331 wrote:Ran the Boston Marathon this morning.

sorry to hear that. seems like you are ok with it and I'm sure you have some other great options.

astro1819

Bronze

Post by astro1819 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:35 pm

eas331 wrote:Ran the Boston Marathon this morning.
Congrats on the Boston Marathon!! What a huge accomplishment, rejection from Stanford is nothing. Glad you can rest easy now, good luck next year!

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:48 pm

ConMan345 wrote:Thanks! Ya, it's a wonderful dilemma to have, certainly.

As far as goals, I would like to work in the Bay Area after law school, but I would also like to get away from the Bay Area for law school (hmm, I wonder where I went to ugrad... :P ). I'm interested in energy/natural resources/environmental law generally (private-sector focused). At this point, as I'm compiling my pros and cons list, Stanford is looking mighty fine. Dean Kramer made a very convincing argument as to why Stanford is a great choice. It's pretty clear that legal education is in a state of flux (moving away from simply teaching you "how to think like a lawyer" to doing that, but also doing much more to train you to be a lawyer before you graduate), and there are many indications that Stanford is leading the charge to the latter. Harvard has taken some steps as well (the problem solving workshop, more clinics), but Stanford's naturally entrepreneurial spirit is already several steps ahead. You can take entire quarters and do a clinic full time, 9-5 (students appeared in front of the Ninth Circuit last quarter in the environmental law clinic), you can do externships (work at a law firm/non-profit for credit), you can take classes in other parts of the university, getting joint degrees is incredibly easily, etc. The quarter system has it's drawbacks (can't cover as much), but it really affords greater flexibility to do things like this.
Dang ConMan, I didn't realize while talking with you that we have such similar goals (only difference is that I'm interested in IP over energy/environmental)!

Also, sorry if I offended you, saladfiend (or anyone else). That was not my intention at all.

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:45 pm

I broke down and called. WL. They were really nice and told me the decision over the phone. I am really happy. Thrilled. I am just honored that they even considered my application because I really don't have the numbers. I threw my heart and soul into my PS and my LOCI and it is nice to know that these paid off, even though I didn't get in. I feel good knowing that my words wouldn't falling on deaf ears. Numbers aren't everything.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”