Drexel Law has started accepting people Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jdec20

New

Re: Drexel Law has started accepting people

Post by jdec20 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:36 am

I do agree with reasonable man, law school is a huge investment and the lower ranked the school you go to has an impact on recruitment and employment. I think it should be noted that although Drexel is new, it's only the second law school with a co-op program (as far as I know) and the university as a whole has a regional presence. It'll be interesting to see where it stands against regional competition Nova and Temple 10 years from now. If it is successful we may see more law schools moving toward a co-op experience.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:07 pm

Someone from the Drexel admissions office recently offered to answer questions on here. I put some simple questions to her re: employment stats, which she dodged rather outwardly.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =4&t=98832

Take that for what it is.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:49 pm

reasonable_man wrote:Someone from the Drexel admissions office recently offered to answer questions on here. I put some simple questions to her re: employment stats, which she dodged rather outwardly.

I'm afraid I agree completely with reasonable man as well.

While I am happy whenever someone is accepted into a school they wanted to attend, that person must understand that law as a profession is failing.

However no one, not even the administrators or Career Development Office at schools, will tell you the truth.

In fact, law schools seem to either 1) omit things or 2) imply things are a certain way without ever saying so (so that you cannot claim that they lied to you).

A law degree is more like a theoretical degree coupled with a license than a true professional degree.

By that I mean that the professors teach you as if you will become a professor when you graduate.

That could be fine except that only HYS people have a significant chance of becoming a professor, period.

So when you graduate, you have no practical "experience" aside from what you did over the summers (and those jobs were minimal at best - even at firms).

I further support my point by saying that everyone has to pay ~$2,000 to prepare them for the bar exam after paying a sh*t load for a degree that is only worth the name of the university on it.

And Drexel's name is not worth much (unfortunately).

That is why where you go to school is so much more important than it needs to be.

True you need to rank high, but the name on the degree is what you are paying for.

However I will say that Drexel has decent entering stats - it's probably on par with U Miami.

Yet entering stats are not indicative of good employment outcomes or rank (see Brooklyn/Yeshiva/Villanova/Temple/University of Richmond).

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:25 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:Someone from the Drexel admissions office recently offered to answer questions on here. I put some simple questions to her re: employment stats, which she dodged rather outwardly.

I'm afraid I agree completely with reasonable man as well.

While I am happy whenever someone is accepted into a school they wanted to attend, that person must understand that law as a profession is failing.

However no one, not even the administrators or Career Development Office at schools, will tell you the truth.

In fact, law schools seem to either 1) omit things or 2) imply things are a certain way without ever saying so (so that you cannot claim that they lied to you).

A law degree is more like a theoretical degree coupled with a license than a true professional degree.

By that I mean that the professors teach you as if you will become a professor when you graduate.

That could be fine except that only HYS people have a significant chance of becoming a professor, period.

So when you graduate, you have no practical "experience" aside from what you did over the summers (and those jobs were minimal at best - even at firms).

I further support my point by saying that everyone has to pay ~$2,000 to prepare them for the bar exam after paying a sh*t load for a degree that is only worth the name of the university on it.

And Drexel's name is not worth much (unfortunately).

That is why where you go to school is so much more important than it needs to be.

True you need to rank high, but the name on the degree is what you are paying for.

However I will say that Drexel has decent entering stats - it's probably on par with U Miami.

Yet entering stats are not indicative of good employment outcomes or rank (see Brooklyn/Yeshiva/Villanova/Temple/University of Richmond).
I don't really disagree with anything you said

but

you should know that

it's really obnoxious

to read posts

that look

like this.

you don't need to manually change lines,

like on a typewriter

the fancy computin' machine in front of you

does it automatically.

:)

lordr6747

New

Post by lordr6747 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:16 am

I got in with 20k also.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:12 am

Just got accepted with some $.
Will probably make a visit next week.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:57 am

I visited Drexel a year ago. I visited all the schools in Philly because I live here. I honestly got a better vibe at Drexel than Temple, and we all know Temple owns the Philly market. The facility is very nice, the new building is in a great location and everything about the school is professional. We got to meet a few 3L's who talked about their internships and locked up jobs. Nothing ground breaking, but reasonably well placed in the local markets like surrounding county DA office, small firms, corporate gigs and such. Drexel UG is very well respected around the Philly area for many fields, I have been working around here for 15+ years and everywhere I go I run into Drexel grads (I am not). Their CS and engineering program is well respected here, and with their health expansion you can expect to have a wide alumni network. I think if you are looking for a local job, and get scholly to boot, Drexel is a great choice.

Before someone accuse me of biased opinion, I have never attended Drexel, nor do I plan to apply to Drexel Law. It is just my personal opinion based my visit, and on 15+ years of personal observation and professional experiences.

Congrats to everyone who has been admitted! Hope you enjoy Philly!

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:39 am

r6_philly wrote:We all know Temple owns the Philly market. !
:roll:

I've got a feeling that 'Nova and a little school known here as "UPenn" would probably disagree with that statement. Temple owns the Philly market? No.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:23 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:

I've got a feeling that 'Nova and a little school known here as "UPenn" would probably disagree with that statement. Temple owns the Philly market? No.
Penn grads goes to NYC. It is counted as a NYC metro school in all stats. We are not talking about big law jobs in a Drexel thread, and I don't really think people think big law when you talk about Philly. Look at the bios of important people in Philadelphia. Not surrounding areas, in the city of Philadelphia. You are not going to find as many nova grads.

Besides, I already put a disclaimer about this is personal opinion, you don't have to agree. I am not applying to Temple, Nova, or Drexel.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lolalolathree

New

Post by Lolalolathree » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:25 pm

Hey Everyone,

I am a long time lurker who has just joined (thanks to everyone who has posted really great info on here!). Would folks who were accepted mind giving stats? I am still waiting to hear back. My stats are 155/2.6. I was working full time while I went to school full time, so I did a little addendum on my app about that and the effect on my grades. I also have about five years of really good work exp for high profile poly campaigns and international non-profs, so I am hoping that will help. That said, my numbers make me nervous. Thank goodness I was accepted into a few decent schools already.

FYI - I called the school today to check in and they said due to a lot of staff turnover, they are very behind schedule on review. So no worries if you havent heard back yet, they are trying to play catch up now and get back to folks.

Thanks!

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:31 pm

Pearalegal wrote:Seriously man, time and place.

+1

I understand the T-14 or bust mentality. However, there are separate threads for that.

snake-eater

New

Post by snake-eater » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:26 pm

Last edited by snake-eater on Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:31 am

coolkatz321 wrote:

Double :roll: for the person commenting on the Philly market who actually goes to WISC...????

Look at the big firms in Phlipadelphia and you will notice that they are CHOCK-FULL of Temple grads...

UPENN grads do not normally stay in Phil and Temple has a noticeable advantage over Vanillanova...

go eat some cheese...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”