Drexel Law has started accepting people

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
KimmyGibbler

Drexel Law has started accepting people

Postby KimmyGibbler » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:23 pm

Got a call today

23fulltimecowboys

Re: Drexel Law has started accepting people

Postby 23fulltimecowboys » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:29 pm

congrats!

KimmyGibbler

Postby KimmyGibbler » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:30 pm

23fulltimecowboys wrote:congrats!

Thanks. It's still very early in the cycle (I still have 3 applications to finish), but it is a welcome self-esteem boost

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:38 pm

Congrats! The first is always such a relief.

Queenjane87

Postby Queenjane87 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:52 pm

Congrats! I am applying as well. Can I ask what your numbers are?

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:55 pm

Are they still waiting for approval from that aba?

Queenjane87

Postby Queenjane87 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:59 pm

It is provisonally accredited meaning graduates can take the bar in any state: --LinkRemoved--

I wonder where they will rank once they are fully accredited

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:05 pm

How sad it is that the ABA will hand out its sticker of approval to every school that decides it to would like to extort 150K a pop from ill-advised applicants. What an absolute shame. ABA approved law schools to 300 by 2025!!!

invictus

Postby invictus » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:13 pm

reasonable_man wrote:How sad it is that the ABA will hand out its sticker of approval to every school that decides it to would like to extort 150K a pop from ill-advised applicants. What an absolute shame. ABA approved law schools to 300 by 2025!!!

--ImageRemoved--

In case you didn't notice, this isn't a thread asking for your opinion on which schools are valid.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:21 pm

Seriously man, time and place.

coolkatz321

Postby coolkatz321 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:26 pm

reasonable_man wrote:How sad it is that the ABA will hand out its sticker of approval to every school that decides it to would like to extort 150K a pop from ill-advised applicants. What an absolute shame. ABA approved law schools to 300 by 2025!!!

First of all, this isn't a thread for bitching and moaning. Second of all, Drexel actually had some pleasantly surprising (and pretty impressive) employment statistics. And no, these weren't stats by the school but rather ones by the NLJ.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:34 pm

Once more for emphasis; boooooooooooooooooo

canceled02062010

Postby canceled02062010 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:35 pm

Last edited by canceled02062010 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coolkatz321

Postby coolkatz321 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:39 pm

hopewell wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:

First of all, this isn't a thread for bitching and moaning. Second of all, Drexel actually had some pleasantly surprising (and pretty impressive) employment statistics. And no, these weren't stats by the school but rather ones by the NLJ.

Notice the name of this site.
Read the recent and growing number of news articles and studies about law schools, debt, and bad choices.
Glance at Drexel.
Shudder violently.

Would you congratulate a Cooley acceptance? I think not.

If you were like the man you criticize you might, maybe not so nicely, warn others that one should think twice about dropping +32k on a legal education that CANNOT return the investment for the great majority of students it enrolls.

Why are you even on here? Go spread your doom and gloom elsewhere. I'm happy with my decision, and this thread is only for acceptances, nothing else.

riburn3

Postby riburn3 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:05 am

Reasonable_man and his pals from JDunderground have taken it upon themselves to attack Drexel Law above all others for some reason. Last spring when their dean of admissions openly offered to answer questions regarding the school on these very forums, they attacked her and made posts on JDunderground to rally the troops to come over here and enlighten our poor souls. It got so bad Dean Pless made a comment in his thread about how poorly she was being treated. I haven't seen him make a post in a while, and as soon as Drexel pops up he's back. I guess he went to a TTT and somehow became successful, but is here to warn us all specifically about a school he probably knows less about than the 0L's applying to it. Go figure.

That said, congrats KimmyGibbler, it's an awesome feeling knowing you got one already locked up, whether it's Harvard or Florida A&M, it's reassuring.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:22 am

riburn3 wrote:Reasonable_man and his pals from JDunderground have taken it upon themselves to attack Drexel Law above all others for some reason. Last spring when their dean of admissions openly offered to answer questions regarding the school on these very forums, they attacked her and made posts on JDunderground to rally the troops to come over here and enlighten our poor souls. It got so bad Dean Pless made a comment in his thread about how poorly she was being treated. I haven't seen him make a post in a while, and as soon as Drexel pops up he's back. I guess he went to a TTT and somehow became successful, but is here to warn us all specifically about a school he probably knows less about than the 0L's applying to it. Go figure.

That said, congrats KimmyGibbler, it's an awesome feeling knowing you got one already locked up, whether it's Harvard or Florida A&M, it's reassuring.

I haven't posted on JD underground in about a year.. I have posted eh, what, over 1000 posts on here, most often in response to substantive questions about the profession, how to handle C&F issues and stuff like that. I think lumping me in as a JDU troll is pretty fucking retarded at this point and I think my record mostly speaks for itself.

The country has reached 200 or so law schools with no end in sight. These new schools and many of the 'older' schools opened within the last 20-years, by and large, offer pretty lousy returns on investment for the vast majority of their graduates. A handful of lucky kids that self-report to NALP is not indicative of what is happening to the vast majority of grads (yes much of the reporting that nalp receives is self reported data). Why don't you ask a handful of lower tier 1 grads/upper tier 2 grads that are completely unemployed or working for 39k in no-fault auto defense whether or not they think the handful of kids from their school that self-reported did anyone a favor as far as painting an accurate picture of the potential outcome of graduates from their respective schools? I doubt you'll find the responses favorable. But hey, they're in the bottom 75% of the class, so what would they know right? Only the kids in the top 25% matter, because thats where everyone here is going to wind up; right?

The op should be happy that she has an acceptance and I congratulate her for that. However, op should also realize that my response is not so far from what many employers will tend to think; "wtf did drexel open a new law school for?" Spending the kind of money that it will likely cost to go to drexel/trading 3 years of your life is something that should be done with some serious thought.

As for the time and the place; if not on an internet forum where the topic of discussion is/will be getting accepted to a school that will cost 150k; when is the time and place to talk about the negative stuff? Why does there need to be a different thread? Is op crying right now because someone didn't think drexel was awesome? I doubt it.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:11 pm

Accepted at Drexel today via phone call with 20K per year. No mention about required GPA during the call, but I'm guessing there will be in the official mailing.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:25 pm

champ33 wrote:Accepted at Drexel today via phone call with 20K per year. No mention about required GPA during the call, but I'm guessing there will be in the official mailing.

When did you go complete?

pantherfan

Postby pantherfan » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:30 pm

nice work on the 20k, drexel is and up and coming, and i think it will open well in the top 100 when it breaks the rankings. its median lsat is 160 i think right now, better than a lot in the top 100 already

champ33

Postby champ33 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:26 pm

OGR3 wrote:
champ33 wrote:Accepted at Drexel today via phone call with 20K per year. No mention about required GPA during the call, but I'm guessing there will be in the official mailing.

When did you go complete?

Application complete e-mail received 12/4.

Yeah I'm not really sure what to make of Drexel... I have got the sense from people that it is up and coming and I really like the co-op aspect, but the fact that they're so new.... I don't know. I believe I'll go for a visit sometime in January.

pantherfan

Postby pantherfan » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:28 pm

maybe ill see you there, i got the call about acceptance yesterday

champ33

Postby champ33 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:30 pm

congrats!

pantherfan

Postby pantherfan » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:33 pm

thanks, despite the skeptics, from my reading, i feel good about drexel's chances going forward

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:45 pm

I agree with Reasonable Man. Drexel is a TTT, and a TTT with NO alumni network. Why people get excited about this place is beyond me.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:38 pm

Well... a point I've seen made is that the large number of Drexel undergrad alumni in the area could help offset the lack of alumni from the law school. Although I'm looking at other more established programs I think it's reasonable to be excited about a school that already has admissions numbers well above many schools in the top 100 after such a short time, along with having what I've heard has been a strong influx of financial support.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”