NYU 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lieut Kaffee

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:31 pm

crackberry wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:I'm conflicted. I do like me some Starbucks, but I'm also a fan of nice cars and home stereos.

I think the real question is whether you enjoy or engage in any of the following: skinny jeans, excessive flannel, fixed-gear bicycles, wire-rimmed glasses (often with either no lenses or lenses that have no prescription).

Okay, not a hipster.

My education background has definitely developed an independent thinker, but outwardly I would say I'm more a product of--rather than a deviant from--popular culture.
Last edited by Lieut Kaffee on Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:35 pm

crackberry wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:I'm conflicted. I do like me some Starbucks, but I'm also a fan of nice cars and home stereos.

I think the real question is whether you enjoy or engage in any of the following: skinny jeans, excessive flannel, fixed-gear bicycles, wire-rimmed glasses (often with either no lenses or lenses that have no prescription).

or whether this seems attractive to you: http://gothamist.com/2009/11/12/explore ... msburg.php

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:39 pm

puppins wrote:
crackberry wrote:

or whether this seems attractive to you: http://gothamist.com/2009/11/12/explore ... msburg.php

Thank you. This has been informative.

I am aware I committed something of a LS application no-no in ED-ing to a school I hadn't visited, but as time passes I am more convinced it was the right decision.

bowie8285

Postby bowie8285 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:44 pm

Last edited by bowie8285 on Mon May 10, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:46 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:Thank you. This has been informative.

I am aware I committed something of a LS application no-no in ED-ing to a school I hadn't visited, but as time passes I am more convinced it was the right decision.

I found this for you: http://stuffhipstershate.tumblr.com/pos ... anelle-hey

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:46 pm

bowie8285 wrote:why is boalt on the TLS main page and not nyu/columbia

Well, there are few answers to this, I suppose. NYU and CLS both also have profiles on this site if you click on their names from the rankings page. Both profiles are relatively short, and I'm sure Ken intends to expand them some day. Ken went to Boalt, so it's not surprising that it's one of the more complete profiles at present.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:48 pm

puppins wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:Thank you. This has been informative.

I found this for you: http://stuffhipstershate.tumblr.com/pos ... anelle-hey

Now we're getting somewhere.

Hipster --> Hates Law School
Kaffee ~(Hates Law School)

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:53 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:
crackberry wrote:Yeah I'd visit for sure, but I can't imagine picking NYU at sticker over Berkeley at sticker given what I want to do (environmental law in the Bay Area). Even if you argue that NYU is equal to Berkeley with respect to job prospects in that field, I'd rather spend 3 years in Berkeley than NYC.

With that as your career aspiration, it looks like you've already been admitted to the most ideal scenario. I'd choose Berkeley over NYU under those criteria as well. Congrats.

+a lot. You seem to be in perfect shape already. Nice work!

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:57 pm

managamy wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:
crackberry wrote:Yeah I'd visit for sure, but I can't imagine picking NYU at sticker over Berkeley at sticker given what I want to do (environmental law in the Bay Area). Even if you argue that NYU is equal to Berkeley with respect to job prospects in that field, I'd rather spend 3 years in Berkeley than NYC.

With that as your career aspiration, it looks like you've already been admitted to the most ideal scenario. I'd choose Berkeley over NYU under those criteria as well. Congrats.

+a lot. You seem to be in perfect shape already. Nice work!

Of course, if you really want to practice environmental law, you should be targeting the tier-2 school in my own hometown, Lewis & Clark. It's weird to see it ranked so high in something...

http://www.top-law-schools.com/environmental-law-schools.html

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:41 pm

Lysis wrote:
maggiebre wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
laolbjob wrote:I assume those who do not submit scholarship essays will have no chance getting any money from NYU. Am I correct guys?

I'm predicting a big ol' no, but I also didn't expect to get in. NYU was hit pretty hard by Madoff.

Anyone know if you can retroactively apply for merit scholarships?

I was under the impression that NYU also gives merit scholarships that you don't have to apply for... something like a dean's scholarship? The ones you can apply for are pretty specific in what they're looking for from applicants.

+1. At least, I hope they have more general merit scholarships.

I emailed the admissions office a few weeks ago regarding submitting scholarship applications after applying, and they told me I could just mail in an updated scholarship page (I think page 4?) from the application and my essays, and I would be considered as long as they got it by Jan 1. I assume this is still possible for those who have been admitted.

Thanks a bunch, and Congrats on the acceptance today 0L!!

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:19 pm

Kretzy wrote:
Thanks a bunch, and Congrats on the acceptance today 0L!!

Thanks you too!!!

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:29 pm

Lysis wrote:I emailed the admissions office a few weeks ago regarding submitting scholarship applications after applying, and they told me I could just mail in an updated scholarship page (I think page 4?) from the application and my essays, and I would be considered as long as they got it by Jan 1. I assume this is still possible for those who have been admitted.

this is good to know. Maybe I will spend some time this week trying to write essays for these. Do any not require another LOR?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:01 am

puppins wrote:
Lysis wrote:I emailed the admissions office a few weeks ago regarding submitting scholarship applications after applying, and they told me I could just mail in an updated scholarship page (I think page 4?) from the application and my essays, and I would be considered as long as they got it by Jan 1. I assume this is still possible for those who have been admitted.

this is good to know. Maybe I will spend some time this week trying to write essays for these. Do any not require another LOR?

The one I applied for (the environmental one) did not require an extra LOR. As far as I remember, in fact, the only one that DID require an extra LOR was the RTK (though I could, of course, be wrong).

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:17 am

crackberry wrote:
puppins wrote:

The one I applied for (the environmental one) did not require an extra LOR. As far as I remember, in fact, the only one that DID require an extra LOR was the RTK (though I could, of course, be wrong).

It looks like all of the public service ones require an extra LOR, but the Academic Scholars ones don't, so I guess I will try and write essays for one of those.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:31 am

When I was researching NYU and getting ready to apply, I skimmed through all the scholarships. There were a few that sounded applicable to things I'd like to study or focus on at NYU (criminal law, academia, law/economics/politics, international law and justice), but they all implied the applicant should have extraordinary backgrounds in these areas... not just current or future interest. This combined with the fact that my numbers aren't exactly stellar for NYU led me to go ahead apply without submitting any of the scholarship essays.

So, my question to those of you discussing the scholarship essays in this thread is: do you have things to talk about such as published academic works, significant criminal law internships, political internships, etc., and HYS-type numbers to back it up? Not that you have to go into detail about your backgrounds here; I'm just wondering if my assumption that I'm too ordinary to submit scholarship essays without being presumptuous is a sound assumption. Alternatively, is it something basically everyone should do just to be thorough?

Also keep in mind that I'm ED, which I expect is another factor against me as far as hoping for any kind of aid.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:34 am

I just thought it was hilarious that I had all my LOR writers mention specific aspects of public interest, and then NYU asked me for an additional letter about public interest. Seriously? Gahhhh... I decided not to, as I don't think 173 / 3.9 people generally get the RTK.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:37 am

puppins wrote:
crackberry wrote:
puppins wrote:

It looks like all of the public service ones require an extra LOR, but the Academic Scholars ones don't, so I guess I will try and write essays for one of those.

Yeah actually that sounds right. The public service ones give you more $$ and require a time commitment whereas the Academic Scholars ones don't.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:40 am

LtKaffee^^This is why I didn't apply for any of the special scholarships. I mean, not the ED part or the non-stellar numbers part, but the special interest part. I'd love if they gave me some regular merit aid, and that would make them very attractive to me, but I'm not gonna snatch one of these scholarships from someone who genuinely already has a specialized interest. I look forward to developing such interests while in law school, but I just don't have the background to pretend I already have such specific goals.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:43 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:LtKaffee^^This is why I didn't apply for any of the special scholarships. I mean, not the ED part or the non-stellar numbers part, but the special interest part. I'd love if they gave me some regular merit aid, and that would make them very attractive to me, but I'm not gonna snatch one of these scholarships from someone who genuinely already has a specialized interest. I look forward to developing such interests while in law school, but I just don't have the background to pretend I already have such specific goals.

Hah, were your intentions really so noble? If NYU wanted to give me a boatload of money because I wrote an essay that convinced them I was more deserving than someone else, I'd probably be okay with that...

But my lack of extraordinary credentials led me to feel that any essay I would compose would be pretty contrived and transparent.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:46 am

LieutKaffee wrote:Hah, were your intentions really so noble?

Ok, maybe 60% of it was laziness.

catwoman

Postby catwoman » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:31 am

LieutKaffee wrote:When I was researching NYU and getting ready to apply, I skimmed through all the scholarships. There were a few that sounded applicable to things I'd like to study or focus on at NYU (criminal law, academia, law/economics/politics, international law and justice), but they all implied the applicant should have extraordinary backgrounds in these areas... not just current or future interest. This combined with the fact that my numbers aren't exactly stellar for NYU led me to go ahead apply without submitting any of the scholarship essays.

So, my question to those of you discussing the scholarship essays in this thread is: do you have things to talk about such as published academic works, significant criminal law internships, political internships, etc., and HYS-type numbers to back it up? Not that you have to go into detail about your backgrounds here; I'm just wondering if my assumption that I'm too ordinary to submit scholarship essays without being presumptuous is a sound assumption. Alternatively, is it something basically everyone should do just to be thorough?

Also keep in mind that I'm ED, which I expect is another factor against me as far as hoping for any kind of aid.

I have a bunch of friends who have won these (most have decided to go to HYS instead). None of them have Rhodes-level softs, but they all had UG activities and post-UG work experience that fit solidly with the scholarship they won.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:36 am

catwoman wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:When I was researching NYU and getting ready to apply, I skimmed through all the scholarships. There were a few that sounded applicable to things I'd like to study or focus on at NYU (criminal law, academia, law/economics/politics, international law and justice), but they all implied the applicant should have extraordinary backgrounds in these areas... not just current or future interest. This combined with the fact that my numbers aren't exactly stellar for NYU led me to go ahead apply without submitting any of the scholarship essays.

I have a bunch of friends who have won these (most have decided to go to HYS instead). None of them have Rhodes-level softs, but they all had UG activities and post-UG work experience that fit solidly with the scholarship they won.

Thanks, that helps. I obviously would have loved to have read the scholarship page and had one jump out at me and thought, "Yeah, that's me!" But that wasn't the case. The fact that I'm basically a median applicant AND I applied ED makes it pretty obvious I'm paying sticker, but I felt kind of uneasy about simply ignoring that part of the application.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:40 am

LieutKaffee wrote:So, my question to those of you discussing the scholarship essays in this thread is: do you have things to talk about such as published academic works, significant criminal law internships, political internships, etc., and HYS-type numbers to back it up? Not that you have to go into detail about your backgrounds here; I'm just wondering if my assumption that I'm too ordinary to submit scholarship essays without being presumptuous is a sound assumption. Alternatively, is it something basically everyone should do just to be thorough?

I had a legit interest in one of them, and think that I am qualified enough (numbers and softs wise) to be at least a contender, though I am sure there are many more qualified people than I. I was just really burned out on writing another essay the first time around, and figuring out how it fits into my personal statement/editing it will be obnoxious when I just want to be done. But meh. Maybe I will still try.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:50 am

puppins wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:So, my question to those of you discussing the scholarship essays in this thread is: do you have things to talk about such as published academic works, significant criminal law internships, political internships, etc., and HYS-type numbers to back it up? Not that you have to go into detail about your backgrounds here; I'm just wondering if my assumption that I'm too ordinary to submit scholarship essays without being presumptuous is a sound assumption. Alternatively, is it something basically everyone should do just to be thorough?

I had a legit interest in one of them, and think that I am qualified enough (numbers and softs wise) to be at least a contender, though I am sure there are many more qualified people than I. I was just really burned out on writing another essay the first time around, and figuring out how it fits into my personal statement/editing it will be obnoxious when I just want to be done. But meh. Maybe I will still try.

Thanks for chiming in. I have definitely taken what I needed to take from this discussion, which is that no one responded to my inquiry with, "You applied to NYU and didn't write a scholarship essay? WTF are you thinking?" I just wanted to know that it was pretty normal to refrain from doing so.

In contrast, when people ask me about submitting Why essays to schools like Michigan and Duke, I profess my recently-acquired belief that everyone should do it, regardless of whether you are naturally or immediately inspired with a list of compelling factors drawing you to the school. The thought and research that go into the essay demonstrate something important to the school, and anyone can pull it off with the right effort. Furthermore, since so many people do it, omitting the essay seems like a way to set yourself apart in a negative way.

As long as the bolded isn't true re: NYU and scholarship essays, I feel fine. Better than fine actually, as NOT writing the essay in this case was more compatible with both my integrity and my laziness.

georgina

Postby georgina » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:30 am

caved wrote:
amidea wrote:
caved wrote:Sorry if this was already discussed (long thread), but did anyone hear who hadn't yet received a completion email? I have yet to receive one, even though I applied 10/27, and am wondering if I should maybe consider calling them soon to check in...

+1. i think there are a lot of us in the boat but i think if you call they just tell you it's completed and that's that. why are they so disorganized?

Yeah when I said "check in" I meant just to make sure it was completed and all...haha

can someone post if they call, or if they get in without having received the complete email? i applied 10/28-ish, have no complete email, and am curious. thanks!!

yay for more purple envelopes today!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”