NYU 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lieut Kaffee

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:46 am

So yeah, NYU is working on their GPA medians right now.

LSN Chart

Saya

Postby Saya » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:56 am

LieutKaffee wrote:So yeah, NYU is working on their GPA medians right now.

LSN Chart
Then take me! Take me! I can help. And here I thought I could forget about apps for the next week and focus on finals.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:13 am

LSN Chart

I know right!! Apparently they're not so concerned with their LSAT median! :sob:

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:16 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:

LSN Chart

I know right!! Apparently they're not so concerned with their LSAT median! :sob:

No way NYU does a 180 and becomes Berkeley in one year. I have to assume they are doing it in waves. The lower GPAs will come.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:17 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:

LSN Chart

So how does it feel knowing you don't help NYU's ranking anymore than a 174 applicant? :wink:

amidea

Postby amidea » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:48 am

snap44 wrote:congrats!

if one submitted late october, but never received a complete email (although got a received app email) does that mean the app may not yet be under review?

(plz dont say thats necessarily the case :))

+1. any thoughts?

Saya

Postby Saya » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:07 am

amidea wrote:
snap44 wrote:congrats!

if one submitted late october, but never received a complete email (although got a received app email) does that mean the app may not yet be under review?

(plz dont say thats necessarily the case :))
+1. any thoughts?
Well... in the complete email, it says, "Your application for admission to the J.D. program at NYU School of Law is complete and has been sent to the Committee on Admissions for review." Then again, I never received the app received email. So maybe it's possible to be under review.

Actually, if your application is complete, it'll probably go under review. Maybe you just didn't get the email.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:37 am

I don't know if this has been pointed out yet, but of the several people on LSN who have now been accepted, one is from the 11/25 batch of completion emails. This pertains to me and someone else I saw ask this question above.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/novavillecuse

jdcballer

Postby jdcballer » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:39 am

Just got in to NYU! Shocked...I was not ED and have no idea how I slipped in the back door so early. They really must be working on raising that GPA. Good luck all - watch out for the purple envelope!

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:51 am

LieutKaffee wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:

LSN Chart

No way NYU does a 180 and becomes Berkeley in one year. I have to assume they are doing it in waves. The lower GPAs will come.

I feel like NYU and Berkeley changed clothes this year so far. :)

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:52 am

managamy wrote:

Is there some funkiness going on in the Berk thread with low GPAs/high LSATs?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:58 am

LieutKaffee wrote:
managamy wrote:

Yes, the first group of admitted students who reported on LSN were clustered more around high LSATs than usual. Do you see what I mean?

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:02 am

managamy wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:
managamy wrote:

Yes, the first group of admitted students who reported on LSN were clustered more around high LSATs than usual. Do you see what I mean?

Well, there are two possibilities:

1. Two top-6 schools decided in the same year to completely flip-flop their admissions philosophy without warning anyone, or...

2. Top schools like to focus on their weaknesses in the first few days of acceptances.

Fortunately, I think we can safely say #2 makes more sense, so I can stop freaking out that 3.62 is now below NYU's threshold. I see on LSN that some lower LSATs have definitely started to filter in at Berkeley.

I am surprised that in my weeks of research and conversations around here, no one had any insight that schools may break character for the first few days. Seems like it's something that would have happened in last year's threads too.

Postby 02082010 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:57 am

puppins wrote:
managamy wrote:
You're not one of those people, judging from the good cycle that you've reported on your LSN profile, so it's hard for me to understand why you are the most bitter. Although I appreciate your eloquence, can't you be at all happy over your Duke and Georgetown acceptances?

See, there you go again. "Can't you little people be happy with the acceptances you've got? Surely, for someone like you, that represents a good cycle." Well. It may be a foreign concept for you, but some people applied to safeties. Some people applied to schools they can't afford to go to, based on both costs and low job prospects from said schools, without considerable financial aid. So, not that it's any of your business, but as of right now I have no idea if I'll be going to law school next year. And I'm not bitter; you're just annoying.

:lol:

catwoman

Postby catwoman » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:29 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
puppins wrote:
managamy wrote:
You're not one of those people, judging from the good cycle that you've reported on your LSN profile, so it's hard for me to understand why you are the most bitter. Although I appreciate your eloquence, can't you be at all happy over your Duke and Georgetown acceptances?

See, there you go again. "Can't you little people be happy with the acceptances you've got? Surely, for someone like you, that represents a good cycle." Well. It may be a foreign concept for you, but some people applied to safeties. Some people applied to schools they can't afford to go to, based on both costs and low job prospects from said schools, without considerable financial aid. So, not that it's any of your business, but as of right now I have no idea if I'll be going to law school next year. And I'm not bitter; you're just annoying.

:lol:

This thread is hilarious.

laolbjob

Postby laolbjob » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:26 am

I assume those who do not submit scholarship essays will have no chance getting any money from NYU. Am I correct guys?

Does NYU have any scholarship program that requires no separate application?

(edit for clarify)
Last edited by laolbjob on Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:32 am

laolbjob wrote:I assume those who do not submit scholarship essays will have no chance getting any money from NYU. Am I correct guys?

I'm predicting a big ol' no, but I also didn't expect to get in. NYU was hit pretty hard by Madoff.

Anyone know if you can retroactively apply for merit scholarships?

Postby 02082010 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:39 am

Kretzy wrote:
laolbjob wrote:I assume those who do not submit scholarship essays will have no chance getting any money from NYU. Am I correct guys?

I'm predicting a big ol' no, but I also didn't expect to get in. NYU was hit pretty hard by Madoff.

I think so.

js87

Postby js87 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:29 am

Have any accepted students been able to log on to the accepted student website?

moonshine

Postby moonshine » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:50 am

js87 wrote:Have any accepted students been able to log on to the accepted student website?

i can't, i don't think it is up and running just yet...

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:53 am

Kretzy wrote:

I was under the impression that NYU also gives merit scholarships that you don't have to apply for... something like a dean's scholarship? The ones you can apply for are pretty specific in what they're looking for from applicants.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:57 am

So I'm on the train on my way to my parents' house right now thinking about this dream I had last night where my parents got the nyu letter but bc they know how much I want it, they were waiting to give it to me in person. Even though I know they don't have that much patience I'm still kind of holding out hope for the next 45 minutes or so.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:57 am

maggiebre wrote:
Kretzy wrote:

I was under the impression that NYU also gives merit scholarships that you don't have to apply for... something like a dean's scholarship? The ones you can apply for are pretty specific in what they're looking for from applicants.

Maggie, can you log into the admitted students site?

Lysis

Postby Lysis » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:57 am

maggiebre wrote:
Kretzy wrote:

+1. At least, I hope they have more general merit scholarships.

I emailed the admissions office a few weeks ago regarding submitting scholarship applications after applying, and they told me I could just mail in an updated scholarship page (I think page 4?) from the application and my essays, and I would be considered as long as they got it by Jan 1. I assume this is still possible for those who have been admitted.
Last edited by Lysis on Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:08 am

Last edited by Amelie on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”