NYU 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
quickquestionthanks

Re: NYU 2010

Postby quickquestionthanks » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:39 am

Helmholtz wrote:
regatsrj wrote:I'm not sure how this refutes the claim that NYU averages. Your highest score and average score are one point apart. You can't really draw conclusions from that, especially as a WL. Sure, softs still matter at NYU, but it's not like you got accepted despite your sub-25th LSAT score.

My hunch is that NYU only average scores that are significantly divergent -- say, maybe 5+ points.

The funny thing is that people on here have said that they have talked to the dean of admissions or some other admissions staff and NYU has an informal "take the highest score if the scores are 5+ points apart" rule. It sort of makes sense why they would be more willing to take the highest score on two scores with a wide gap instead of two close scores that could be accounted for by statistical noise, even if that's not what NYU is doing in practice.

That actually makes sense to do it that way. I agree that they're not as numbers based. There are people with way better numbers than me who were outright rejected. The only reason I'm on the WL is because of soft factors. They're looking for diversity first, imo.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:48 am

starsong wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but I would not be even a little surprised if NYU does not take one person off of their waitlist this year.

Is this based on any real information? Last year, they were way over-enrolled (495 vs. target of ~450), and several WLs were admitted. People withdraw...

Out of the approximately 80 people on LSN who got the waitlist last year and did not withdraw (there were another 50 or so who withdrew), not one got in. How many WLs were admitted last year? I just think that they already have an extremely good idea of what their yield is going to be like, with the scholarship deadlines and seat deposit deadlines being passed/so close. I'm not saying that it's not going to happen, just that I would not be surprised at all if not one WL person this year got in.

starsong

Postby starsong » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:10 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
starsong wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but I would not be even a little surprised if NYU does not take one person off of their waitlist this year.

Is this based on any real information? Last year, they were way over-enrolled (495 vs. target of ~450), and several WLs were admitted. People withdraw...

Out of the approximately 80 people on LSN who got the waitlist last year and did not withdraw (there were another 50 or so who withdrew), not one got in. How many WLs were admitted last year? I just think that they already have an extremely good idea of what their yield is going to be like, with the scholarship deadlines and seat deposit deadlines being passed/so close. I'm not saying that it's not going to happen, just that I would not be surprised at all if not one WL person this year got in.

LSN is an unrepresentative sample. Several people were admitted last year despite a highly over-enrolled class (see viewtopic.php?f=7&t=68838&start=150, viewtopic.php?f=15&t=78776), showing that a considerable # of deposited students withdrew between May 1 and August 20. Finally, the year before NYU had the largest WL, Admit % out of the entire T14 besides Chicago (see viewtopic.php?f=7&t=68838&start=50). So it looks more like they consistently fail to correctly estimate their yield each year, alternating between extreme under-enrollment and over-enrollment.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:16 pm

starsong wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
starsong wrote:

LSN is an unrepresentative sample. Several people were admitted last year despite a highly over-enrolled class (see viewtopic.php?f=7&t=68838&start=150, viewtopic.php?f=15&t=78776), showing that a considerable # of deposited students withdrew between May 1 and August 20. Finally, the year before NYU had the largest WL, Admit % out of the entire T14 besides Chicago (see viewtopic.php?f=7&t=68838&start=50). So it looks more like they consistently fail to correctly estimate their yield each year, alternating between extreme under-enrollment and over-enrollment.

Eh, I know LSN does not represent the entire pool of applicants (hell, there were probably hundreds of people who never got off the WL who were not on LSN either). WL's are incredibly difficult to predict, but still, am going to posit that I would not be surprised if they took no WL'd applicants, and if they do, would not be surprised if it's less than 1%.

gmail

Postby gmail » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:48 pm

I'm holding out with the NYU WL, with low expectations. As crummy as it is waiting on NYU it can't possibly be worse than CLS.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:17 pm

From '07-'08 LSN data, they took accepted 23/78 applicants that accepted their waitlist offer. From what I've read, waitlist admit numbers tend to oscillate year to year. So they overestimate one year, and underestimate the next. That would be good for WL people this year since they took so few last year. Only silver lining I can find so far :)

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:19 pm

WLed today via snail mail.

existenz

Postby existenz » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:02 am

Still waiting for a letter from NYU. Applied 12/31.

I'm an LSAT retaker, but with lower average than some of you above. 164/170/172. If they really do toss out the lower score when there is a difference of 5+ points, they should obviously disregard the 164 as an outlier. But I'm guessing they didn't, and that combined with a somewhat late app did me in. Oh well.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:07 am

existenz wrote:Still waiting for a letter from NYU. Applied 12/31.

I'm an LSAT retaker, but with lower average than some of you above. 164/170/172. If they really do toss out the lower score when there is a difference of 5+ points, they should obviously disregard the 164 as an outlier. But I'm guessing they didn't, and that combined with a somewhat late app did me in. Oh well.

Their instructions on LSAC claim that it doesn't matter when you apply, pretty explicitly. I procrastinated applying until 12/30 for this reason. Still no word for me either, but I recently moved, so if I was part of the recent wave then it could be arriving here any day.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:07 am

Last edited by los blancos on Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

odiero

Postby odiero » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:37 am

newb question time:

if one is offered a spot off a waitlist, how much time does one normally have to decide and what kind of commitment does one have to make?

i'm sure it depends on the school. i'm guessing NYU would give us a day or so to respond to their offer. and i'm guessing they'd require either a "no thanks" or a "yes! i'm turning down all other offers and withdrawing from all other waitlists".

trying to work out a strategy for riding four waitlists... (in order of preference: CLS, NYU, Penn, GULC)

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:57 pm

Finally got my wait list notification. Letter date is 4/19, postmarked 4/24.

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:05 pm

Waitlist, which was surprising since I never updated my transcripts. I will not be joining the list because I like Duke better.

devonwhitham

Postby devonwhitham » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:18 pm

It's April 28th and I STILL haven't heard from NYU--really really frustrating. I run up to my mailbox everyday in anticipation and entertain all my neighbors with my exasperated foot stomping when nothing arrives. I still can't get on to their admitted students website and my LSAT is very low for NYU, so I'm pretty much just praying to be waitlisted. Gosh, what an exhausting long process!

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:31 am

Have any admitted students yet to hear about financial aid information? I have a friend (no, it's really a friend, not one of those "Uhh.. my uhh... friend... has herpes and doesn't know what to do" situations) who applied for the IILJ scholars program and has yet to hear back from the program or the financial aid office. She's contacted both offices multiple times and gotten no answer, and with offers to other schools which have to be accepted within the next few days she's getting a little worried.

Anyone else out there yet to hear back from financial aid?

itsirtou

Postby itsirtou » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:57 pm

Waitlisted today. Guess I'll stick it out. :)

MY CYCLE IS FINALLY OVER!

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:14 pm

odiero wrote:newb question time:

if one is offered a spot off a waitlist, how much time does one normally have to decide and what kind of commitment does one have to make?

i'm sure it depends on the school. i'm guessing NYU would give us a day or so to respond to their offer. and i'm guessing they'd require either a "no thanks" or a "yes! i'm turning down all other offers and withdrawing from all other waitlists".

trying to work out a strategy for riding four waitlists... (in order of preference: CLS, NYU, Penn, GULC)

Typically its 48 hours from the time of email to deposit. I don't know if you have to withdraw from everywhere else. I didn't think so. Anyone else?

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:17 pm

For time commitment I don't know, but I'm pretty sure you have to withdraw from all schools at which you've received a decision when you deposit at NYU (i.e., I would have to withdraw from Georgetown because they outright accepted me, but I would *not* have to withdraw from the Harvard waitlist).

ncct07

Postby ncct07 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:28 pm

For what it's worth....no one reported waitlist---->accept last year on LSN.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:36 am

ncct07 wrote:For what it's worth....no one reported waitlist---->accept last year on LSN.

Bravo. The last horse finally crosses the finish line.

existenz

Postby existenz » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:33 pm

Got my WL in the mail. Cycle complete. Thanks for taking your sweet ass time NYU.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:59 pm

Got my ding in the mail. If they are soft-based, I must have typed the school name wrong or something in my PS :shock: I thought my numbers are decently in the range. Oh well, guess I am not worthy.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:31 pm

r6_philly wrote:Got my ding in the mail. If they are soft-based, I must have typed the school name wrong or something in my PS :shock: I thought my numbers are decently in the range. Oh well, guess I am not worthy.

they suck. you can do much better, r6. you will totally get into HYS next cycle!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:58 pm

hannah87 wrote:they suck. you can do much better, r6. you will totally get into HYS next cycle!

I hope you are right! I am a bit dissappointed still, I thought I was worthy of at least a WL :( I don't like ding letters...

I applied to a couple of policy schools yesterday, so now I have to wait on those decisions... It is a little sad to be left behind when all of you are going to LS! But my family issues are keeping me here this year anyway as it turned out.

gerghk

Postby gerghk » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:00 pm

Just withdrew today, hope my spot goes to one of you!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”