NYU 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lessthanthree

Re: NYU 2010

Postby lessthanthree » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:49 pm

For people admitted and applying for aid--what is the turn around time? like an idiot, i sat on my FA application for no apparent reason, and now that decisions have to be made, i need to know if i'm going to get anything from nyu...

some day i'll grow up to not be such a f*ing moron.

i sent mine in on march 22nd (about a month and a half after i was admitted) and had an offer on april 6th that required me to answer back by the 19th, which seemed pretty quick to me. though i'm not sure if it might be different now that the priority deadline has passed. : / good luck!

Sequoia90

Postby Sequoia90 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:51 pm

Got the big WL.

I guess there still is hope? kinda? :?

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:33 pm

WL -- will see it out through the summer.

Dated 4/15, received today in Queens.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:02 pm

Still nothing. Maybe they lost my application? I paid for it - darn it I want and answer.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:13 pm

WL today. I'm sending in the form to withdraw. Lots of yellow on LSN now.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:11 pm

Finally WL'd.

starsong

Postby starsong » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:33 pm

WL. Not giving up until orientation begins!

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:42 pm

WLed today. Better than expected but annoyed. I have no solid decision for this fall.

existenz

Postby existenz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:32 am

Still haven't received anything in SoCal. Maybe tomorrow.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:48 am

starsong wrote:WL. Not giving up until orientation begins!

:( really hope you get it!

starsong

Postby starsong » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:43 am

hannah87 wrote:

Thanks! I'm really excited about Fordham too, but NYU would be so perfect b/c my wife just got accepted there. It would be great to be at the same campus...

thearchduke

Postby thearchduke » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:44 am

Waitlisted yesterday. Letter dated April 15. Postmarked April 22. I have a 3.56 gpa in political science from a public university, I worked about twenty hours a week through college, did a semester of graduate work in international relations with a 3.33gpa, and I've been working since I quite that school in spring 2008. I took the LSAT in February of 2009 and got a 166, then retook in September and got a 173. I applied in mid-December and went complete shortly thereafter. My recs are probably pretty standard, "He did great in my class," and "He's a great employee."

So, when you crazy kids who apply to NYU for next year come digging around in this thread looking for glimmers of hope, you should have a better app than me.

As for you, NYU, I intend to send the no-thank-you letter back to you just as soon as I've completely reviewed all of my options exhaustively. I obviously can't make a decision until approximately two weeks before absolutely necessary. I'll go ahead and keep just as many schools as possible under review for as long as I possibly can. Don't bother sending me any letters of continued interest, NYU, I'll just stuff them in your folder and tersely tell you thanks, hoping you get the clue to stop calling me without actually telling you to stop calling me. I'll let you know what I decide by sometime next October or November...

rolark

Postby rolark » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:56 am

thearchduke wrote:Waitlisted yesterday. Letter dated April 15. Postmarked April 22. I have a 3.56 gpa in political science from a public university, I worked about twenty hours a week through college, did a semester of graduate work in international relations with a 3.33gpa, and I've been working since I quite that school in spring 2008. I took the LSAT in February of 2009 and got a 166, then retook in September and got a 173. I applied in mid-December and went complete shortly thereafter. My recs are probably pretty standard, "He did great in my class," and "He's a great employee."

So, when you crazy kids who apply to NYU for next year come digging around in this thread looking for glimmers of hope, you should have a better app than me.

As for you, NYU, I intend to send the no-thank-you letter back to you just as soon as I've completely reviewed all of my options exhaustively. I obviously can't make a decision until approximately two weeks before absolutely necessary. I'll go ahead and keep just as many schools as possible under review for as long as I possibly can. Don't bother sending me any letters of continued interest, NYU, I'll just stuff them in your folder and tersely tell you thanks, hoping you get the clue to stop calling me without actually telling you to stop calling me. I'll let you know what I decide by sometime next October or November...

I really think it's the retake thing. I haven't heard yet, but I'm expecting a wait list/rejection. Even with decent softs, a 3.8+ GPA, and a similar 75%+ LSAT, I think they really look down on individuals who retake.

starsong

Postby starsong » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:02 am

rolark wrote:
thearchduke wrote:Waitlisted yesterday. Letter dated April 15. Postmarked April 22. I have a 3.56 gpa in political science from a public university, I worked about twenty hours a week through college, did a semester of graduate work in international relations with a 3.33gpa, and I've been working since I quite that school in spring 2008. I took the LSAT in February of 2009 and got a 166, then retook in September and got a 173. I applied in mid-December and went complete shortly thereafter. My recs are probably pretty standard, "He did great in my class," and "He's a great employee."

I really think it's the retake thing. I haven't heard yet, but I'm expecting a wait list/rejection. Even with decent softs, a 3.8+ GPA, and a similar 75%+ LSAT, I think they really look down on individuals who retake.

I don't know if they don't like retakes per se, but it looks like they do average the scores for most people.

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:03 am

hannah87 wrote:

+1

rolark wrote:I really think it's the retake thing. I haven't heard yet, but I'm expecting a wait list/rejection. Even with decent softs, a 3.8+ GPA, and a similar 75%+ LSAT, I think they really look down on individuals who retake.

I don't think so.... I think maybe their claim to rolling notification, not rolling admissions, might be what's bogus here? I find their WLs pretty puzzling myself.

starsong

Postby starsong » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:11 am

neimanmarxist wrote:
hannah87 wrote:

+1

Thanks nm! It's going to be a looonggg summer. And I'm crossing my fingers that NYU will have a normal yield this year...

regatsrj

Postby regatsrj » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:33 am

starsong wrote:
rolark wrote:

I don't know if they don't like retakes per se, but it looks like they do average the scores for most people.

Totally agree. NYU rejected a friend of mine last year whose LSAT retake and GPA were above their 75th percentiles. He got into Stanford and Columbia. But his first LSAT score was well below 25th percentile, which HAS to be why he was dinged. NYU averages.

xokel87

Postby xokel87 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:02 am

regatsrj wrote:
starsong wrote:
rolark wrote:

Totally agree. NYU rejected a friend of mine last year whose LSAT retake and GPA were above their 75th percentiles. He got into Stanford and Columbia. But his first LSAT score was well below 25th percentile, which HAS to be why he was dinged. NYU averages.

Unsure if I agree.. I'm a 163 retake to 165, nonURM, waitlisted. 3.92 at t20 probably helps, but also important 'softs' which makes me think they're not as numbers based, retake-hating as we might originall guess.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:18 am

similar GPA
+1 to social science major
+1 to public university
+1 to working 20+ hours/week through college
+1 to first LSAT of 166
+1 to second LSAT of 173
+1 to probably pretty standard recs

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:21 am

xokel87 wrote:Unsure if I agree.. I'm a 163 retake to 165, nonURM, waitlisted. 3.92 at t20 probably helps, but also important 'softs' which makes me think they're not as numbers based, retake-hating as we might originall guess.

Your LSAT average is a 164 and your highest is a 165. It's not retake hating, it's averaging that people are concerned about. If somebody got a 175 on their first LSAT and a 179 on their second LSAT, I doubt NYU is going to look negatively upon them merely because of the fact that they retook. The argument is that NYU would not look as favorably upon them as someone who got a 179 the first time without retaking.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:22 am

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but I would not be even a little surprised if NYU does not take one person off of their waitlist this year.

regatsrj

Postby regatsrj » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:28 am

xokel87 wrote:
regatsrj wrote:Totally agree. NYU rejected a friend of mine last year whose LSAT retake and GPA were above their 75th percentiles. He got into Stanford and Columbia. But his first LSAT score was well below 25th percentile, which HAS to be why he was dinged. NYU averages.

Unsure if I agree.. I'm a 163 retake to 165, nonURM, waitlisted. 3.92 at t20 probably helps, but also important 'softs' which makes me think they're not as numbers based, retake-hating as we might originall guess.

I'm not sure how this refutes the claim that NYU averages. Your highest score and average score are one point apart. You can't really draw conclusions from that, especially as a WL. Sure, softs still matter at NYU, but it's not like you got accepted despite your sub-25th LSAT score.

My hunch is that NYU only average scores that are significantly divergent -- say, maybe 5+ points.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:33 am

regatsrj wrote:I'm not sure how this refutes the claim that NYU averages. Your highest score and average score are one point apart. You can't really draw conclusions from that, especially as a WL. Sure, softs still matter at NYU, but it's not like you got accepted despite your sub-25th LSAT score.

My hunch is that NYU only average scores that are significantly divergent -- say, maybe 5+ points.

The funny thing is that people on here have said that they have talked to the dean of admissions or some other admissions staff and NYU has an informal "take the highest score if the scores are 5+ points apart" rule. It sort of makes sense why they would be more willing to take the highest score on two scores with a wide gap instead of two close scores that could be accounted for by statistical noise, even if that's not what NYU is doing in practice.

xokel87

Postby xokel87 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:34 am

regatsrj wrote:
xokel87 wrote:
regatsrj wrote:Totally agree. NYU rejected a friend of mine last year whose LSAT retake and GPA were above their 75th percentiles. He got into Stanford and Columbia. But his first LSAT score was well below 25th percentile, which HAS to be why he was dinged. NYU averages.

I'm not sure how this refutes the claim that NYU averages. Your highest score and average score are one point apart. You can't really draw conclusions from that, especially as a WL. Sure, softs still matter at NYU, but it's not like you got accepted despite your sub-25th LSAT score.

"But his first LSAT score was well below 25th percentile, which HAS to be why he was dinged. NYU averages."

I'm simply saying that BOTH of my lsat scores (and, thus, the average) are "well below" 25th percentile, and I wasn't dinged. I'm not necessarily attacking the averaging component, just commenting that I'm unsure the conclusion that the LSAT is why he was dinged is true given my own experience - even if they WERE viewing his LSAT by his average, or even ignoring the second score entirely, just because a score is under 25th doesn't necessarily follow that they auto-reject..
Last edited by xokel87 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

starsong

Postby starsong » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:37 am

Helmholtz wrote:I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but I would not be even a little surprised if NYU does not take one person off of their waitlist this year.

Is this based on any real information? Last year, they were way over-enrolled (495 vs. target of ~450), and several WLs were admitted. People withdraw...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”