NYU 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby dakatz » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:38 pm

Helmholtz wrote:They wouldn't straight reject me after making me wait six and a half months, right? right? I'm guessing they would......those bastards.


Yep, they sure are bastards. A six month wait for a rejection is unacceptable. The applicants they know they want, they snatch up in 2 weeks. I understand that there are borderline candidates who must wait longer, and they usually end up on the WL. But why should someone who gets rejected ever have to wait half a freaking year to hear the word of the almighty from NYU? Though I guess I'm supposed to marvel at the wisdom of their decision, and bow before their greatness anyway.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:40 pm

dakatz wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:They wouldn't straight reject me after making me wait six and a half months, right? right? I'm guessing they would......those bastards.


Yep, they sure are bastards. A six month wait for a rejection is unacceptable. The applicants they know they want, they snatch up in 2 weeks. I understand that there are borderline candidates who must wait longer, and they usually end up on the WL. But why should someone who gets rejected ever have to wait half a freaking year to hear the word of the almighty from NYU? Though I guess I'm supposed to marvel at the wisdom of their decision, and bow before their greatness anyway.


Wait, you were rejected after a 6 mo. wait?

wjnahill
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:25 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby wjnahill » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:39 pm

So, if decisions are being mailed tomorrow, and acceptances are always uploaded to the system on Wednesday prior to the mailing... if we can't get in to the accepted students site by now, are we definitely waitlist/reject?

jadjerd
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:15 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby jadjerd » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:42 pm

That's a lot of "ifs"--plus the biggest one: if you can count on NYU admissions for anything.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:43 pm

jadjerd wrote:That's a lot of "ifs"--plus the biggest one: if you can count on NYU admissions for anything.


I'm just going to assume that they meant that we would have a decision by April 20, 2011.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby dakatz » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:44 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
dakatz wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:They wouldn't straight reject me after making me wait six and a half months, right? right? I'm guessing they would......those bastards.


Yep, they sure are bastards. A six month wait for a rejection is unacceptable. The applicants they know they want, they snatch up in 2 weeks. I understand that there are borderline candidates who must wait longer, and they usually end up on the WL. But why should someone who gets rejected ever have to wait half a freaking year to hear the word of the almighty from NYU? Though I guess I'm supposed to marvel at the wisdom of their decision, and bow before their greatness anyway.


Wait, you were rejected after a 6 mo. wait?


Yep, these morons actually waited over 6 months to reject me.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:48 pm

dakatz wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
dakatz wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:They wouldn't straight reject me after making me wait six and a half months, right? right? I'm guessing they would......those bastards.


Yep, they sure are bastards. A six month wait for a rejection is unacceptable. The applicants they know they want, they snatch up in 2 weeks. I understand that there are borderline candidates who must wait longer, and they usually end up on the WL. But why should someone who gets rejected ever have to wait half a freaking year to hear the word of the almighty from NYU? Though I guess I'm supposed to marvel at the wisdom of their decision, and bow before their greatness anyway.


Wait, you were rejected after a 6 mo. wait?


Yep, these morons actually waited over 6 months to reject me.


Have you told them off?

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby D Brooks » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:48 pm

dakatz wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
dakatz wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:They wouldn't straight reject me after making me wait six and a half months, right? right? I'm guessing they would......those bastards.


Yep, they sure are bastards. A six month wait for a rejection is unacceptable. The applicants they know they want, they snatch up in 2 weeks. I understand that there are borderline candidates who must wait longer, and they usually end up on the WL. But why should someone who gets rejected ever have to wait half a freaking year to hear the word of the almighty from NYU? Though I guess I'm supposed to marvel at the wisdom of their decision, and bow before their greatness anyway.


Wait, you were rejected after a 6 mo. wait?


Yep, these morons actually waited over 6 months to reject me.


I was rejected via email by Duke four months after going UR. I sent a pretty succinct email back saying, "Why did it take four months?"

The Dean of Admissions emailed me back saying "blah blah blah... it takes time to fully review each applicants file.... blah blah blah and your application presented several unique elements [granted, it actually did] which merited more careful review... blah blah blah.... Sorry that you feel your decision took too long to reach you."

If I'm ultimately rejected by NYU I'm going to email Dean Kleinfield or whatever with a similar question and probably throw in "declining degree-mill" somewhere in there too.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby dakatz » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:51 pm

That sounds like a great idea. Perhaps I will do the same. Haha, and the best part is, some people on here made it seem like I should feel guilty or that I was doing something wrong by prodding a bit to their admissions office to find out what the hell was taking them so long. I can't understand why we put these idiots on pedestals, and treat them with a holier than thou attitude. They do things that are ridiculous, and we should call them out on it, not just kiss their boots because they have something we want.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:00 pm

dakatz wrote:That sounds like a great idea. Perhaps I will do the same. Haha, and the best part is, some people on here made it seem like I should feel guilty or that I was doing something wrong by prodding a bit to their admissions office to find out what the hell was taking them so long. I can't understand why we put these idiots on pedestals, and treat them with a holier than thou attitude. They do things that are ridiculous, and we should call them out on it, not just kiss their boots because they have something we want.


I try to be understanding and acknowledge that they have a hard job that I wouldn't want to do, as only 20% of the people they deal with will love them and the other 80% will hate them. It's not like they promised you anything and then broke their promise, or misled you into applying or into believing you would get in or have a decision by this point. You need to have patience in a process like this and understand that they take a long time because of the involved nature of the job. While I would like my waitlist/rejection too I won't sit here and insult them because I haven't gotten it yet.

/2-cents

User avatar
holybartender
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:06 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby holybartender » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:03 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
dakatz wrote:That sounds like a great idea. Perhaps I will do the same. Haha, and the best part is, some people on here made it seem like I should feel guilty or that I was doing something wrong by prodding a bit to their admissions office to find out what the hell was taking them so long. I can't understand why we put these idiots on pedestals, and treat them with a holier than thou attitude. They do things that are ridiculous, and we should call them out on it, not just kiss their boots because they have something we want.


I try to be understanding and acknowledge that they have a hard job that I wouldn't want to do, as only 20% of the people they deal with will love them and the other 80% will hate them. It's not like they promised you anything and then broke their promise, or misled you into applying or into believing you would get in or have a decision by this point. You need to have patience in a process like this and understand that they take a long time because of the involved nature of the job. While I would like my waitlist/rejection too I won't sit here and insult them because I haven't gotten it yet.

/2-cents


If they can't get you a decision before other schools have their ABA approved deposit deadlines, they're doing something wrong.

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby hannah87 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:04 pm

nothing in my mailbox today. i live in brooklyn.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:05 pm

holybartender wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
dakatz wrote:That sounds like a great idea. Perhaps I will do the same. Haha, and the best part is, some people on here made it seem like I should feel guilty or that I was doing something wrong by prodding a bit to their admissions office to find out what the hell was taking them so long. I can't understand why we put these idiots on pedestals, and treat them with a holier than thou attitude. They do things that are ridiculous, and we should call them out on it, not just kiss their boots because they have something we want.


I try to be understanding and acknowledge that they have a hard job that I wouldn't want to do, as only 20% of the people they deal with will love them and the other 80% will hate them. It's not like they promised you anything and then broke their promise, or misled you into applying or into believing you would get in or have a decision by this point. You need to have patience in a process like this and understand that they take a long time because of the involved nature of the job. While I would like my waitlist/rejection too I won't sit here and insult them because I haven't gotten it yet.

/2-cents


If they can't get you a decision before other schools have their ABA approved deposit deadlines, they're doing something wrong.


Has any top law school finished giving out all decisions by this point? NYU isn't unique in that regard.

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby D Brooks » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:05 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
dakatz wrote:That sounds like a great idea. Perhaps I will do the same. Haha, and the best part is, some people on here made it seem like I should feel guilty or that I was doing something wrong by prodding a bit to their admissions office to find out what the hell was taking them so long. I can't understand why we put these idiots on pedestals, and treat them with a holier than thou attitude. They do things that are ridiculous, and we should call them out on it, not just kiss their boots because they have something we want.


I try to be understanding and acknowledge that they have a hard job that I wouldn't want to do, as only 20% of the people they deal with will love them and the other 80% will hate them. It's not like they promised you anything and then broke their promise, or misled you into applying or into believing you would get in or have a decision by this point. You need to have patience in a process like this and understand that they take a long time because of the involved nature of the job. While I would like my waitlist/rejection too I won't sit here and insult them because I haven't gotten it yet.

/2-cents


I got rejected by Penn and don't hate them. What I do hate is auto-admitting, and providing decisions in general, to people who applied after I did. I don't feel entitled to an acceptance from ANY school; it's their class, they can accept and reject who they wish. But making applicants wait six months for a decision so you can estimate you yield etc is ridiculous. Especially since I called in Feb and they said all decisions were being released in waves/order of complete date and that they WOULD NOT wait until April to send out a rush of rejections and WLs. Even more so because they asked for a transcript update like it would actually factor into their decision one or way or the other.

/rant

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby dakatz » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:06 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
dakatz wrote:That sounds like a great idea. Perhaps I will do the same. Haha, and the best part is, some people on here made it seem like I should feel guilty or that I was doing something wrong by prodding a bit to their admissions office to find out what the hell was taking them so long. I can't understand why we put these idiots on pedestals, and treat them with a holier than thou attitude. They do things that are ridiculous, and we should call them out on it, not just kiss their boots because they have something we want.


I try to be understanding and acknowledge that they have a hard job that I wouldn't want to do, as only 20% of the people they deal with will love them and the other 80% will hate them. It's not like they promised you anything and then broke their promise, or misled you into applying or into believing you would get in or have a decision by this point. You need to have patience in a process like this and understand that they take a long time because of the involved nature of the job. While I would like my waitlist/rejection too I won't sit here and insult them because I haven't gotten it yet.

/2-cents


Ah, but I have gotten it :)

And no, a school that charges obscene tuition like NYU can afford to hire a few more people to read apps and expedite the whole process. The whole "oh we are so understaffed" line is utter BS.
Last edited by dakatz on Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
holybartender
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:06 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby holybartender » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:07 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
Has any top law school finished giving out all decisions by this point? NYU isn't unique in that regard.


They're also doing something wrong. Moral equivalency, really?

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby D Brooks » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:07 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
holybartender wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
dakatz wrote:That sounds like a great idea. Perhaps I will do the same. Haha, and the best part is, some people on here made it seem like I should feel guilty or that I was doing something wrong by prodding a bit to their admissions office to find out what the hell was taking them so long. I can't understand why we put these idiots on pedestals, and treat them with a holier than thou attitude. They do things that are ridiculous, and we should call them out on it, not just kiss their boots because they have something we want.


I try to be understanding and acknowledge that they have a hard job that I wouldn't want to do, as only 20% of the people they deal with will love them and the other 80% will hate them. It's not like they promised you anything and then broke their promise, or misled you into applying or into believing you would get in or have a decision by this point. You need to have patience in a process like this and understand that they take a long time because of the involved nature of the job. While I would like my waitlist/rejection too I won't sit here and insult them because I haven't gotten it yet.

/2-cents


If they can't get you a decision before other schools have their ABA approved deposit deadlines, they're doing something wrong.


Has any top law school finished giving out all decisions by this point? NYU isn't unique in that regard.


CC are still handing out decisions for people who applied in Jan/Feb. Not people who applied in October.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:08 pm

D Brooks wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
dakatz wrote:That sounds like a great idea. Perhaps I will do the same. Haha, and the best part is, some people on here made it seem like I should feel guilty or that I was doing something wrong by prodding a bit to their admissions office to find out what the hell was taking them so long. I can't understand why we put these idiots on pedestals, and treat them with a holier than thou attitude. They do things that are ridiculous, and we should call them out on it, not just kiss their boots because they have something we want.


I try to be understanding and acknowledge that they have a hard job that I wouldn't want to do, as only 20% of the people they deal with will love them and the other 80% will hate them. It's not like they promised you anything and then broke their promise, or misled you into applying or into believing you would get in or have a decision by this point. You need to have patience in a process like this and understand that they take a long time because of the involved nature of the job. While I would like my waitlist/rejection too I won't sit here and insult them because I haven't gotten it yet.

/2-cents


I got rejected by Penn and don't hate them. What I do hate is auto-admitting, and providing decisions in general, to people who applied after I did. I don't feel entitled to an acceptance from ANY school; it's their class, they can accept and reject who they wish. But making applicants wait six months for a decision so you can estimate you yield etc is ridiculous. Especially since I called in Feb and they said all decisions were being released in waves/order of complete date and that they WOULD NOT wait until April to send out a rush of rejections and WLs. Even more so because they asked for a transcript update like it would actually factor into their decision one or way or the other.

/rant


agreed

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:10 pm

dakatz wrote:That sounds like a great idea. Perhaps I will do the same. Haha, and the best part is, some people on here made it seem like I should feel guilty or that I was doing something wrong by prodding a bit to their admissions office to find out what the hell was taking them so long. I can't understand why we put these idiots on pedestals, and treat them with a holier than thou attitude. They do things that are ridiculous, and we should call them out on it, not just kiss their boots because they have something we want.


Send them an e-mail declining their offer of rejection and always refer to them as New York Law School in the e-mail.

Hey-O
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Hey-O » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:11 pm

D Brooks wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
dakatz wrote:That sounds like a great idea. Perhaps I will do the same. Haha, and the best part is, some people on here made it seem like I should feel guilty or that I was doing something wrong by prodding a bit to their admissions office to find out what the hell was taking them so long. I can't understand why we put these idiots on pedestals, and treat them with a holier than thou attitude. They do things that are ridiculous, and we should call them out on it, not just kiss their boots because they have something we want.


I try to be understanding and acknowledge that they have a hard job that I wouldn't want to do, as only 20% of the people they deal with will love them and the other 80% will hate them. It's not like they promised you anything and then broke their promise, or misled you into applying or into believing you would get in or have a decision by this point. You need to have patience in a process like this and understand that they take a long time because of the involved nature of the job. While I would like my waitlist/rejection too I won't sit here and insult them because I haven't gotten it yet.

/2-cents


I got rejected by Penn and don't hate them. What I do hate is auto-admitting, and providing decisions in general, to people who applied after I did. I don't feel entitled to an acceptance from ANY school; it's their class, they can accept and reject who they wish. But making applicants wait six months for a decision so you can estimate you yield etc is ridiculous. Especially since I called in Feb and they said all decisions were being released in waves/order of complete date and that they WOULD NOT wait until April to send out a rush of rejections and WLs. Even more so because they asked for a transcript update like it would actually factor into their decision one or way or the other.

/rant


What do you mean? Estimate you yield? What does that mean?

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:11 pm

D Brooks wrote:I got rejected by Penn and don't hate them. What I do hate is auto-admitting, and providing decisions in general, to people who applied after I did. I don't feel entitled to an acceptance from ANY school; it's their class, they can accept and reject who they wish. But making applicants wait six months for a decision so you can estimate you yield etc is ridiculous. Especially since I called in Feb and they said all decisions were being released in waves/order of complete date and that they WOULD NOT wait until April to send out a rush of rejections and WLs. Even more so because they asked for a transcript update like it would actually factor into their decision one or way or the other.

/rant


You mean my fall transcript isn't being taken into account either? :cry:

I would rather them do what they do, all schools wait to see yield or gain more info on the larger applicant pool, then have an over/under enrolled law school class. It is a necessary evil in order to make the best decision possible on the tougher admission calls. I guess they could just waitlist every single person that isn't auto admit as the applications roll in, but around a month ago I understood that I wasn't going to get accepted so I don't see the big deal myself.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:12 pm

holybartender wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Has any top law school finished giving out all decisions by this point? NYU isn't unique in that regard.


They're also doing something wrong. Moral equivalency, really?


You think taking common steps to prepare a full/qualified class is a moral wrongdoing? Really?

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby D Brooks » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:14 pm

At this point, I wouldn't attend without $$ so I'm not very invested myself. It's now an issue of decency and respect. Especially since they said no when I asked for a fee waiver right before I applied... way back on Oct 19.

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby oneforship » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:14 pm

D Brooks wrote:CC are still handing out decisions for people who applied in Jan/Feb. Not people who applied in October.


Unless you count ED-Deferred?

User avatar
Joan Hollaway
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:07 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Joan Hollaway » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:14 pm

D Brooks wrote:
CC are still handing out decisions for people who applied in Jan/Feb. Not people who applied in October.


false, lots of cls people on hold havent heard back yet. i havent heard from C or N but whatever, ill hear eventually its not like i need to know before april 30th. yes its frustrating but theres nothing i can do but wait.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lmorina126 and 10 guests