NYU 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ChaotiCait

Re: NYU 2010

Postby ChaotiCait » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:03 pm

Rejected today via snailmail.

When talking to my mom afterwards, she told me about my cousin on Long Island who started doing mock trial, and just won his first trial. Thanks for rubbing salt in the wound that I will still be thousands of miles from my family, mom.

At least I have Chicago, and I'm riding the CLS waitlist.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:04 pm

Yea Columbia "counts", if you're turning down peer schools like Boalt or Chicago I'm curious too.

I got 75k from NYU but if I don't get an extension I will likely turn them down and withdraw.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:07 pm

Sogui wrote:Yea Columbia "counts", if you're turning down peer schools like Boalt or Chicago I'm curious too.

I got 75k from NYU but if I don't get an extension I will likely turn them down and withdraw.

FWIW, NYU's fine print actually doesn't preclude you from waiting on additional admissions decisions or riding waitlists. It just requires you to withdraw from all schools to which you've already been accepted. So I would withdraw from Columbia but would still nag Stanford to let me in.

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:36 pm

I couldn't take the pressure anymore from being in DC away from my mailbox while all these denials were going out. I had my friend check the mail at my apartment. He claims that there is no mail from NYU, so I am safe for now. I am still nervous though. Maybe he just missed the denial letter or something. I kinda wanna drive home right now and check, but it's 3 hours away and I'm sleepy...

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:41 am

ChaotiCait wrote:Rejected today via snailmail.

When talking to my mom afterwards, she told me about my cousin on Long Island who started doing mock trial, and just won his first trial. Thanks for rubbing salt in the wound that I will still be thousands of miles from my family, mom.

sorry :( . chicago sounds awesome, though. i can't believe i haven't gotten the nyu rejection yet...

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:46 am

And still no NYU decision for me on my October application. I'm looking to make my final law school choice in a little over a week, so it would really be nice to actually have a yes or no from NYU.

starsong

Postby starsong » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:22 am

Really sorry to hear, Chaoti. But Chicago is still CCN, and it's an incredible school!

ChaotiCait

Postby ChaotiCait » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:51 am

Yeah, I'm trying to come up with a list of why Chicago is better than NY, but its hard because I'm originally from NY. However as long as they have NY style pizza and deli sandwiches I'll probably manage :lol:

Reedie

Postby Reedie » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:28 am

ChaotiCait wrote:Yeah, I'm trying to come up with a list of why Chicago is better than NY, but its hard because I'm originally from NY. However as long as they have NY style pizza and deli sandwiches I'll probably manage :lol:

How about:

Can live close to campus without paying crazy rents.

starsong

Postby starsong » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:57 am

ChaotiCait wrote:Yeah, I'm trying to come up with a list of why Chicago is better than NY, but its hard because I'm originally from NY. However as long as they have NY style pizza and deli sandwiches I'll probably manage :lol:

:lol: Chicago (the university) is exceptionally strong in legal academia. I mean it's the virtual birthplace of law and economics. That means that a degree from Chicago will always have an amazing amount of prestige that will follow you the rest of your life. So you'll not only have incredible biglaw opportunities, you'll have a great advantage with clerkships and academia. You may not find these paths interesting now, but when you're competing with thousands of similarly credentialed lawyers from other top schools, that extra edge can open a ton of doors.

weee

Postby weee » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:51 pm

Am I reading this wrong or was the lat admit on LSN from NYU marked as 4/10, and then everyone thereafter was WL or reject? and nobody got in off WL

starsong

Postby starsong » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:36 pm

weee wrote:Am I reading this wrong or was the lat admit on LSN from NYU marked as 4/10, and then everyone thereafter was WL or reject? and nobody got in off WL

That's what LSN says. On TLS there were reports of WL admits in mid-August. Obviously your chances are very, very slim.

badfish

Postby badfish » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:42 pm

starsong wrote:

Really sorry to hear, Chaoti. But Chicago is still CCN, and it's an incredible school!

As a current NYU student I was very close to picking Chi over NYU last year. So chin up because you honestly can't go wrong with the University of Chicago.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:57 pm

badfish wrote:
starsong wrote:

As a current NYU student I was very close to picking Chi over NYU last year. So chin up because you honestly can't go wrong with the University of Chicago.

You're doing PI right? Do you mind if I PM you? I'd love to get your thoughts on how these schools compare.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:38 pm

beef wellington wrote:
badfish wrote:
starsong wrote:

You're doing PI right? Do you mind if I PM you? I'd love to get your thoughts on how these schools compare.

FWIW, I can't even imagine considering Chicago over NYU for PI taking into account Chicago's non-existent LRAP and general reputation for ignoring public interest. They have made overtures towards changing that this year, but PR changes do not change the overall attitude.*

*Note: Not (yet) an NYU student, and not even admitted to Chicago as of yet

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:59 pm

Last edited by beef wellington on Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

weee

Postby weee » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:25 am

starsong wrote:
weee wrote:Am I reading this wrong or was the lat admit on LSN from NYU marked as 4/10, and then everyone thereafter was WL or reject? and nobody got in off WL

That's what LSN says. On TLS there were reports of WL admits in mid-August. Obviously your chances are very, very slim.

I'm not particularly worried about me, I was never expecting to be admitted to NYU, and there's no way I would pay sticker to go, but I just noticed it and I'm no pro at understanding LSN so I thought I'd check.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:23 am

ah, another monday. who is is else thankful for not being rejected last week?

starsong

Postby starsong » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:45 am

hannah87 wrote:ah, another monday. who is is else thankful for not being rejected last week?

+1. With you on that one. Every time I checked the mailbox I was torn between the excitement over news (any news!), and the dread of receiving a letter during rejection week.

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:50 am

I'm mostly worried about being rejected this week.

runnerman

Postby runnerman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:52 am

starsong wrote:
hannah87 wrote:ah, another monday. who is is else thankful for not being rejected last week?

+1. With you on that one. Every time I checked the mailbox I was torn between the excitement over news (any news!), and the dread of receiving a letter during rejection week.

Ditto.

Over the weekend I started wondering - what portion of the folks offered scholarships do I want to accept their offers before the deadline at the end of the week? Seems like most people operate on the "anyone who accepts = one fewer spot for me" theory. But on the other hand, I wonder if getting a small group of high-LSAT folks to commit could provide some cover for them to admit a 25%-er like me?

starsong

Postby starsong » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:01 am

runnerman wrote:
starsong wrote:

Ditto.

Over the weekend I started wondering - what portion of the folks offered scholarships do I want to accept their offers before the deadline at the end of the week? Seems like most people operate on the "anyone who accepts = one fewer spot for me" theory. But on the other hand, I wonder if getting a small group of high-LSAT folks to commit could provide some cover for them to admit a 25%-er like me?

Ah, I don't think you have to worry about them lacking high-LSAT folks. Worst case they'll take extreme LSAT splitters. I would worry more about seats filling up.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:06 am

runnerman wrote:
starsong wrote:

Ditto.

interesting. i'm also an LSAT 25%-er. let's go with whichever theory gives us a chance in hell!

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:13 am

hannah87 wrote:
runnerman wrote:
starsong wrote:

Ditto.

interesting. i'm also an LSAT 25%-er. let's go with whichever theory gives us a chance in hell!

Well, I hope when I deposit that it does give them room to let in one of you!

badfish

Postby badfish » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:15 am

beef wellington wrote:
badfish wrote:
starsong wrote:

Sure, go for it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”