NYU 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:39 pm

smacroon wrote:
yourdadcalled wrote:just received my rejection via snail mail after 4+ months of waiting.


ugh sorry to hear that. i am sure there will be many of us in your company :? wish they could have just gotten it over with sooner.


Seriously, I would take a rejection letter at this point. Just let me know, pleeeease.

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:39 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
smacroon wrote:
yourdadcalled wrote:just received my rejection via snail mail after 4+ months of waiting.


ugh sorry to hear that. i am sure there will be many of us in your company :? wish they could have just gotten it over with sooner.


Seriously, I would take a rejection letter at this point. Just let me know, pleeeease.

I thought you were decided on Michigan Helm?

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:45 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
smacroon wrote:
yourdadcalled wrote:just received my rejection via snail mail after 4+ months of waiting.


ugh sorry to hear that. i am sure there will be many of us in your company :? wish they could have just gotten it over with sooner.


Seriously, I would take a rejection letter at this point. Just let me know, pleeeease.

I thought you were decided on Michigan Helm?


I pretty much am, but I could see some compelling person reasons to go to NYU.

User avatar
gahthelaw
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby gahthelaw » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:13 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Seriously, I would take a rejection letter at this point. Just let me know, pleeeease.

I thought you were decided on Michigan Helm?


I pretty much am, but I could see some compelling person reasons to go to NYU.


is it the food? it's the food, isn't it?

bananasinpajamas
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:37 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby bananasinpajamas » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:16 pm

NYU is like the Miley Cyrus of Law Schools

User avatar
gahthelaw
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby gahthelaw » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:17 pm

bananasinpajamas wrote:NYU is like the Miley Cyrus of Law Schools


please elaborate on this thought for the group.

User avatar
danidancer
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:46 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby danidancer » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:51 pm

yourdadcalled wrote:just received my rejection via snail mail after 4+ months of waiting.


<<<--- prays for no mail from NYU waiting at home. :)

That sucks - sorry "dad."

Edit: Spoke too soon. Small white envelope. Peace out everyone!

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby hannah87 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

danidancer wrote:
yourdadcalled wrote:just received my rejection via snail mail after 4+ months of waiting.


<<<--- prays for no mail from NYU waiting at home. :)

That sucks - sorry "dad."

Edit: Spoke too soon. Small white envelope. Peace out everyone!


oh no! sorry, dani. fordham for you, right?

User avatar
danidancer
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:46 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby danidancer » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:23 pm

hannah87 wrote:
danidancer wrote:
yourdadcalled wrote:just received my rejection via snail mail after 4+ months of waiting.


<<<--- prays for no mail from NYU waiting at home. :)

That sucks - sorry "dad."

Edit: Spoke too soon. Small white envelope. Peace out everyone!


oh no! sorry, dani. fordham for you, right?


Most likely! Haven't completely ruled out Notre Dame either. I've also been held by Northwestern and Cornell and I'm riding the Georgetown, Columbia, Michigan and UCLA WLs. My cycle, unfortunately, is still far from over.

User avatar
mayosmith
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:05 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby mayosmith » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:39 am

Out here too. For the ED/deferred folks like me, I hope this isn't a harbinger.

nax425
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:14 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby nax425 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:52 am

still nothing in my mailbox...

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby hannah87 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:54 am

nax425 wrote:still nothing in my mailbox...


me neither. i'm thinking we're headed for the WL? or at least i am.

nax425
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:14 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby nax425 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:55 am

hannah87 wrote:
nax425 wrote:still nothing in my mailbox...


me neither. i'm thinking we're headed for the WL? or at least i am.


i'll take it at this point. perhaps they make WL decisions a few weeks before actually sending them out?

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby hannah87 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:57 am

nax425 wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
nax425 wrote:still nothing in my mailbox...


me neither. i'm thinking we're headed for the WL? or at least i am.


i'll take it at this point. perhaps they make WL decisions a few weeks before actually sending them out?


that's what i'm thinking. i think they pretty much make the "decision" as soon as they see our files and then throw them into a pile to re-review when it gets closer to WL season.

nax425
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:14 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby nax425 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:59 am

hannah87 wrote:
nax425 wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
nax425 wrote:still nothing in my mailbox...


me neither. i'm thinking we're headed for the WL? or at least i am.


i'll take it at this point. perhaps they make WL decisions a few weeks before actually sending them out?


that's what i'm thinking. i think they pretty much make the "decision" as soon as they see our files and then throw them into a pile to re-review when it gets closer to WL season.


well I've been told they usually allow a few waitlisters in...so should we get on it, lets hang in there! we've waited long enough as it is.

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby hannah87 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:00 am

nax425 wrote:
well I've been told they usually allow a few waitlisters in...so should we get on it, lets hang in there! we've waited long enough as it is.


that's a good attitude. whoever said that this thread is bipolar is right :wink:

nax425
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:14 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby nax425 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:02 am

hannah87 wrote:
nax425 wrote:
well I've been told they usually allow a few waitlisters in...so should we get on it, lets hang in there! we've waited long enough as it is.


that's a good attitude. whoever said that this thread is bipolar is right :wink:


I think I'm the definition of Bipolar! it is friday, though, after all! so some positivity is seeping through.

or maybe i've just relegated myself to the fact that things aren't looking solid for an admit at this point? :D Grieving...it's a process...

starsong
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:35 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby starsong » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:29 am

nax425 wrote:
hannah87 wrote:that's what i'm thinking. i think they pretty much make the "decision" as soon as they see our files and then throw them into a pile to re-review when it gets closer to WL season.


well I've been told they usually allow a few waitlisters in...so should we get on it, lets hang in there! we've waited long enough as it is.


+1. But if it's anything like last year, we'll be waiting until the second week of August:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=68838&start=175

nax425
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:14 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby nax425 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:34 am

starsong wrote:
nax425 wrote:
hannah87 wrote:that's what i'm thinking. i think they pretty much make the "decision" as soon as they see our files and then throw them into a pile to re-review when it gets closer to WL season.


well I've been told they usually allow a few waitlisters in...so should we get on it, lets hang in there! we've waited long enough as it is.


+1. But if it's anything like last year, we'll be waiting until the second week of August:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=68838&start=175


I can wait for NYU. There is nowhere else to be.

runnerman
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:25 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby runnerman » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:13 am

hannah87 wrote:
nax425 wrote:
well I've been told they usually allow a few waitlisters in...so should we get on it, lets hang in there! we've waited long enough as it is.


that's a good attitude. whoever said that this thread is bipolar is right :wink:



that was me, and today is a downer day, rapidly losing hope (particularly since I don't think I can wait until August to get an answer...)
do we anticipate ANY additional acceptances at this point?

nax425
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:14 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby nax425 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:35 am

runnerman wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
nax425 wrote:
well I've been told they usually allow a few waitlisters in...so should we get on it, lets hang in there! we've waited long enough as it is.


that's a good attitude. whoever said that this thread is bipolar is right :wink:



that was me, and today is a downer day, rapidly losing hope (particularly since I don't think I can wait until August to get an answer...)
do we anticipate ANY additional acceptances at this point?


honestly I have no good guesses at this point. This time last year people were being accepted, and all we've really seen this week are, mostly, rejections. And April is next week, so I'm not crossing my fingers for anything. Maybe they are full already? Or maybe this cycle is going to be pushed back later than last years given the Columbia scholarships are late coming out?

They told me a decision was made on my app on Monday morning, which suggests to me they made it the Friday previous, and I haven't heard anything yet. Makes me think WL since a rejection can't be that hard to process.

Tomorrow I'll post something super negative and despairing.

starsong
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:35 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby starsong » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:52 am

nax425 wrote:honestly I have no good guesses at this point. This time last year people were being accepted, and all we've really seen this week are, mostly, rejections. And April is next week, so I'm not crossing my fingers for anything. Maybe they are full already? Or maybe this cycle is going to be pushed back later than last years given the Columbia scholarships are late coming out?

They told me a decision was made on my app on Monday morning, which suggests to me they made it the Friday previous, and I haven't heard anything yet. Makes me think WL since a rejection can't be that hard to process.

Tomorrow I'll post something super negative and despairing.

Actually, the Columbia scholarship idea makes the most sense. The late March acceptances last year probably resulted from people withdrawing from NYU for CLS before the scholarship deadline. If Columbia's scholarships are late coming out, it slows everything down (remember, people will try to negotiate with NYU using their CLS scholarship). That may explain the delay.

Note, however, that if this is the case, there won't necessarily be another wave of acceptances. In LSAT terms, passing the scholarship deadline would be a necessary but not sufficient condition for more spots opening up, since it is unclear how many scholarship recipients will actually choose CLS over NYU.

edit: it's also unclear how many open spots remain. Last year, NYU was overenrolled, so they may be conservative with acceptances this year (see http://blog.veritasprep.com/2009/02/und ... tlist.html for an explanation of this dynamic). Put differently, the probability of further admissions is a function of NYU's yield, which is partially "determined" at two points in time: the scholarship deadline and the deposit deadline. After each point in time, NYU has a better idea of their incoming class, but future admits will depend on how firm this estimation is vs. the risk of losing an attractive candidate.
Last edited by starsong on Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby hannah87 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:53 am

starsong wrote:
nax425 wrote:honestly I have no good guesses at this point. This time last year people were being accepted, and all we've really seen this week are, mostly, rejections. And April is next week, so I'm not crossing my fingers for anything. Maybe they are full already? Or maybe this cycle is going to be pushed back later than last years given the Columbia scholarships are late coming out?

They told me a decision was made on my app on Monday morning, which suggests to me they made it the Friday previous, and I haven't heard anything yet. Makes me think WL since a rejection can't be that hard to process.

Tomorrow I'll post something super negative and despairing.

Actually, the Columbia scholarship idea makes the most sense. The late March acceptances last year probably resulted from people withdrawing from NYU for CLS before the scholarship deadline. If Columbia's scholarships are late coming out, it slows everything down (remember, people will try to negotiate with NYU using their CLS scholarship). That may explain the delay.

Note, however, that if this is the case, there won't necessarily be another wave of acceptances. In LSAT terms, passing the scholarship deadline would be a necessary but not sufficient condition for more spots opening up, since it is unclear how many scholarship recipients will actually choose CLS over NYU.


damn those LR sections!

starsong
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:35 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby starsong » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:56 am

hannah87 wrote:damn those LR sections!

Yeah, I guess once was enough :-). Sorry, couldn't resist.

ChaotiCait
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:32 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby ChaotiCait » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:58 am

My friend will probably be withdrawing from NYU soon, because they didn't give her any money and Harvard gave her 22k a year. Shes renegotiating, but I told her if she withdraws I call dibbs on her spot :lol:




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AustinLu, call-me-bubbles, Cjsanders2, Google Adsense [Bot], Kungfu Wontons, lawschoolbound2017, mav1993, oliviaj_j, SuperAverageJoe and 25 guests