NYU 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
taxman021

Re: NYU 2010

Postby taxman021 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:33 pm

im in ED as well; it was a nice surprise in the mail considering i was going crazy waiting for a call from berkeley all day (never came)

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:34 pm

I also submitted RD at the end of October from a top 5 undergraduate institution...hmmmm. 8) But no graduate degree or URM status.

From all accounts, though, NYU generally moves quite slowly through applications.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:34 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
summerschooled wrote:
citydweller09 wrote:In at NYU! RD, letter came in the mail today, I live in NYC.

So excited/praying this isn't some cosmic joke or error!!

Congrats!! And now the rest of us can start (continue?) freaking out.

Yeah, I'm not sure if this is good or bad news for me.

Pro: NYU started sending out acceptances!! Maybe me?
Con: NYU started sending out acceptances!! Another school to fret over? AND Why not yet me?

Fixed.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:35 pm

taxman021 wrote:im in ED as well; it was a nice surprise in the mail considering i was going crazy waiting for a call from berkeley all day (never came)

Ah, there you are! You are one of two data points currently on the LSN graph, lol. Props to you!

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:35 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
summerschooled wrote:
citydweller09 wrote:In at NYU! RD, letter came in the mail today, I live in NYC.

So excited/praying this isn't some cosmic joke or error!!

Congrats!! And now the rest of us can start (continue?) freaking out.

Yeah, I'm not sure if this is good or bad news for me.

Pro: NYU started sending out acceptances!! Maybe me?
Con: NYU started sending out acceptances!! Another school to fret over? AND Why not yet me?

Fixed.

Indeed.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:35 pm

managamy wrote:I also submitted RD at the end of October from a top 5 undergraduate institution...hmmmm. 8) But no graduate degree or URM status.

From all accounts, though, NYU generally moves quite slowly through applications.

You're also in at Harvard...

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:37 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:
managamy wrote:I also submitted RD at the end of October from a top 5 undergraduate institution...hmmmm. 8) But no graduate degree or URM status.

Haha, I meant my post to be optimistic rather than pessimistic. :D

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:38 pm

managamy wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:

Haha, I meant my post to be optimistic rather than pessimistic. :D

Fair. I shouldn't resent. I understand nothing is guaranteed at HYS and you beast applicants have to apply at least down to NYU as well!

taxman021

Postby taxman021 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:38 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:
taxman021 wrote:im in ED as well; it was a nice surprise in the mail considering i was going crazy waiting for a call from berkeley all day (never came)

Ah, there you are! You are one of two data points currently on the LSN graph, lol. Props to you!

thanks! im sure you'll hear some good news soon too; your numbers + ed at nyu seems like it would be a lock

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:41 pm

taxman021 wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:

thanks! im sure you'll hear some good news soon too; your numbers + ed at nyu seems like it would be a lock

I may have the perfect numbers for ED-ing at NYU. If either of my numbers was ANY higher, I would have been optimistic enough about my chances for admission to CLS and/or $$$ in the T10 to likely place higher value on weighing my options.

As it is, I'm very comfortable with my decision. I believe NYU and I should be a great fit together!

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:43 pm

I would freak out if I got into NYU this early.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:43 pm

Speaking of LSN graphs. Whoever runs that site should plot the index line on the graphs. All the index formulas follow Ax + By + C

It would be very interesting.

citydweller09

Postby citydweller09 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:43 pm

Thanks for the congrats everyone! I think the likely explanation is that my interests just line up particularly well with the school, and I conveyed that in my application, including with a targeted Why NYU addendum. (FYI: I'm actually not referring to the public interest aspect, but don't want to go into too much detail for obvious reasons.)

In any event, I'm super pleasantly surprised, and NYU is absolutely one of my top choices.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:43 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:Speaking of LSN graphs. Whoever runs that site should plot the index line on the graphs. All the index formulas follow Ax + By + C

Seconded!

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:50 pm

managamy wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:Speaking of LSN graphs. Whoever runs that site should plot the index line on the graphs. All the index formulas follow Ax + By + C

Seconded!

Wait, maybe I'm being retarded. If the index depends on two variables, we'd need a three-dimensional graph, right? Lol, this is why I changed majors shortly after vector calculus.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:53 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:
managamy wrote:

Seconded!

Wait, maybe I'm being retarded. If the index depends on two variables, we'd need a three-dimensional graph, right? Lol, this is why I changed majors shortly after vector calculus.

My worst subject always has been math.

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:59 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:
managamy wrote:

Seconded!

Ouch. You're giving me a headache just thinking about math -- I think I'll run back to my nice social sciences subjects now.

kinch

Postby kinch » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:02 pm

People who got accepted: Where do you live? How far are you from NY?

Just wondering how long it took the mail to get there...

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:03 pm

kinch wrote:People who got accepted: Where do you live? How far are you from NY?

I believe both of them live in NYC.

kinch

Postby kinch » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:05 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
kinch wrote:People who got accepted: Where do you live? How far are you from NY?

I believe both of them live in NYC.

Yikes. I live in north Jersey. I'll be stalking my mailbox tomorrow.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:09 pm

managamy wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:
managamy wrote:

Seconded!

My worst subject always has been math.

I think to some extent general high intelligence and exceptional math aptitude may look similar all the way through middle school and high school. While I like to think I possess the former, at age 20 I was finally able to admit I am far from the "math whiz" my 6th grade teachers labeled me as!

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:12 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:
I think to some extent general high intelligence and exceptional math aptitude may look similar all the way through middle school and high school. While I like to think I possess the former, at age 20 I was finally able to admit I am far from the "math whiz" my 6th grade teachers labeled me as!

Congratulations on keeping up the charade that long. My own veneer of spurious math "brilliance" evaporated in junior year of high school.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:14 pm

managamy wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:

Congratulations on keeping up the charade that long. My own veneer of spurious math "brilliance" evaporated in junior year of high school.

Haha! Sounds like you know what I'm talking about.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:28 pm

Technically, you couldn't plot the full algebraic map of gpa/lsat ----> index with 2 dimensions, but you do have other options. Lines of equipotentiality (aka, a curve along which all candidates have the same index; for CLS 4.2, 4.3, and 4.4 are probably good choices) are certainly possible, as is the display of each data point's index which is accepted/rejected.

js87

Postby js87 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:37 pm

CONGRATS to those who have been accepted!!

Just to recap: There have been RD acceptances now? Are today's the first known RD acceptances of the cycle? Lastly, did you hear exclusively via snail mail, or did you receive a phone call or email earlier?

Thanks!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”