NYU 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ccs224

Re: NYU 2010

Postby ccs224 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:14 am

BenJ wrote: It's not like the subway ride from Morningside Heights to anywhere worth going is a hassle.

I would probably prefer Morningside Heights for living, but I have to say, going down town from that far uptown is a hassle, having done it myself for many years. If you're taking the one, it's local the whole way, and if you want an express trip, you either have to wait until 96th or Columbus Circle to transfer or walk to the 125th A/B. When the train is running on the late night schedule and you want to come uptown from down (or vice versa), the wait can be killer. Cars will also be pretty expensive. That said, none of this will matter if you're not interested in going out often or more likely to hang around your neighborhood than downtown locations.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:22 am

Eh, I live in a house off-campus in Austin and have to take the bus to get to and from campus.

Now that's awful, buses regularly come anywhere from 10m early to 10m late, I'll leave at the same time and one day I'll miss it entirely because it's way ahead of schedule and doesn't "resync" to it's schedule until it's halfway to campus, then the next day it will run 10 minutes late and I won't be sure if I missed it entirely, then it will end up picking up people at every stop... including that guy in the wheelchair and suddenly I'm 15 minutes late for class.

Then because of all the evening "group meetings" that I need to attend I often get out past 9 which means if I get poor timing, and I always do, I end up waiting half-an-hour at a dark, cold bus stop with absolutely nothing to do. The lights don't favor the street the bus takes either so it takes an inordinate amount of time to travel the few miles to my house.

NYC subways would be a blessing.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:31 am

Sogui wrote:Eh, I live in a house off-campus in Austin and have to take the bus to get to and from campus.

Now that's awful, buses regularly come anywhere from 10m early to 10m late, I'll leave at the same time and one day I'll miss it entirely because it's way ahead of schedule and doesn't "resync" to it's schedule until it's halfway to campus, then the next day it will run 10 minutes late and I won't be sure if I missed it entirely, then it will end up picking up people at every stop... including that guy in the wheelchair and suddenly I'm 15 minutes late for class.

Then because of all the evening "group meetings" that I need to attend I often get out past 9 which means if I get poor timing, and I always do, I end up waiting half-an-hour at a dark, cold bus stop with absolutely nothing to do. The lights don't favor the street the bus takes either so it takes an inordinate amount of time to travel the few miles to my house.

That's true. They're better than any other mass transit system in the US, and than most of the international ones I've seen as well (2am close in Paris? Really, Paris? Lame.), but if you actually depend on them for your commute, it won't be more than five weeks before you start bitching about them like everyone else here.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:39 am

ccs224 wrote:
Sogui wrote:Eh, I live in a house off-campus in Austin and have to take the bus to get to and from campus.

That's true. They're better than any other mass transit system in the US, and than most of the international ones I've seen as well (2am close in Paris? Really, Paris? Lame.), but if you actually depend on them for your commute, it won't be more than five weeks before you start bitching about them like everyone else here.

Spoiled brats ;). The Boston system is so useless. Closing around 12:30, in the biggest college city in the country? Really, Boston? Screw you.

MF248

Postby MF248 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:13 pm

What email address do you use if you need to send an update to NYU?

lz06

Postby lz06 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:23 pm

BenJ wrote:
ccs224 wrote:

Spoiled brats ;). The Boston system is so useless. Closing around 12:30, in the biggest college city in the country? Really, Boston? Screw you.

What time do the subways stop in NYC?

booboo

Postby booboo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:26 pm

lz06 wrote:
BenJ wrote:
ccs224 wrote:

Runs 24/7 with night changes due to repairs/maintenance.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:31 pm

lz06 wrote:
BenJ wrote:
ccs224 wrote:

Cute.

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:36 pm

This conversation about which school is best to live close to would be pretty humorous to most longtime New Yorkers. I'm not sure if I know anyone who hasn't commuted to their workplace (or graduate school) during my time here over the past several years. Twenty or thirty minutes on the subway is a breeze for most people; others, like residents of nice places like Park Slope or Forest Hills, are used to an even longer commute. It may have something to do with the notion of keeping one's work and home lives separate, or, to put it simply, having a life outside what you do during the day. I can understand someone who has never lived here before wanting to maintain a small perimeter, but this is all to say that you shouldn't be afraid to branch out a little. The city is a whole lot bigger (and more interesting) than the central Village and Morningside Heights. Happy to help anyone with neighborhood questions.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:37 pm

BenJ wrote:
booboo wrote:
knickfan wrote:Just got the complete email. Sent in my app 1/4.

For those who have already received a decision- Does this email indicate that a decision is near OR simply that I am complete??

Thanks in advance
Just that you are complete, but there are those who do get decisions quickly.
Some people with the fastest turnarounds have gotten in a week after going complete. Others have been complete for months before getting in. At this point, you're not going to be waiting more than a month and change, but, depending on your numbers, you may hear next week or in March.
Just got my complete e-mail yesterday too. I have a friend who received her acceptance letter in the mail exactly one month after the day she applied (Dec 26 and Jan 26 -- she's URM with 3.97 and 164), and I have my fingers crossed for a quick response. I suppose we'll see.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:41 pm

mayosmith wrote:This conversation about which school is best to live close to would be pretty humorous to most longtime New Yorkers. I'm not sure if I know anyone who hasn't commuted to their workplace (or graduate school) during my time here over the past several years. Twenty or thirty minutes on the subway is a breeze for most people; others, like residents of nice places like Park Slope or Forest Hills, are used to an even longer commute. It may have something to do with the notion of keeping one's work and home lives separate, or, to put it simply, having a life outside what you do during the day. I can understand someone who has never lived here before wanting to maintain a small perimeter, but this is all to say that you shouldn't be afraid to branch out a little. The city is a whole lot bigger (and more interesting) than the central Village and Morningside Heights. Happy to help anyone with neighborhood questions.

I have no intention of having a life when I first go to law school. Hearing a Columbia alum who got a JD and an MBA at Columbia, who runs an international hedge fund call his time getting a JD at CLS "the hardest thing I've ever done in my life" was not super encouraging when the hardest thing I've ever done was Halo 3 on Legendary.

Also, got another NYU envelope today, it had the NYU law mag! NYU's acceptance package is really becoming substantial, but they still lack a comprehensive resource focusing on the school itself: Acceptance letter, map of Manhattan, NYU law mag. The only stuff I have about NYU itself was from the fee waiver pack they sent me.

What was most noticeable was the condition the law magazine arrived in, the letter was dated 1/26 :shock: and was dripping, the enveloped was stained grey and the bottom was virtually torn open. I guess that's what happens when they use snail-mail.

booboo

Postby booboo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Sogui wrote:
mayosmith wrote:This conversation about which school is best to live close to would be pretty humorous to most longtime New Yorkers. I'm not sure if I know anyone who hasn't commuted to their workplace (or graduate school) during my time here over the past several years. Twenty or thirty minutes on the subway is a breeze for most people; others, like residents of nice places like Park Slope or Forest Hills, are used to an even longer commute. It may have something to do with the notion of keeping one's work and home lives separate, or, to put it simply, having a life outside what you do during the day. I can understand someone who has never lived here before wanting to maintain a small perimeter, but this is all to say that you shouldn't be afraid to branch out a little. The city is a whole lot bigger (and more interesting) than the central Village and Morningside Heights. Happy to help anyone with neighborhood questions.

I have no intention of having a life when I first go to law school. Hearing a Columbia alum who got a JD and an MBA at Columbia, who runs an international hedge fund call his time getting a JD at CLS "the hardest thing I've ever done in my life" was not super encouraging when the hardest thing I've ever done was Halo 3 on Legendary.

Also, got another NYU envelope today, it had the NYU law mag! NYU's acceptance package is really becoming substantial, but they still lack a comprehensive resource focusing on the school itself: Acceptance letter, map of Manhattan, NYU law mag. The only stuff I have about NYU itself was from the fee waiver pack they sent me.

What was most noticeable was the condition the law magazine arrived in, the letter was dated 1/26 :shock: and was dripping, the enveloped was stained grey and the bottom was virtually torn open. I guess that's what happens when they use snail-mail.

You obviously haven't played Halo 2 on Legendary. Grown men weep.

LS is going to be painful, enjoy the last few months of freedom before the next 3 years of your life, lol.

ravens20

Postby ravens20 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:53 pm

Sogui wrote:

That's weird. You didn't get the viewbook and the faculty book/contact list? I got mine in the mail a few weeks after I got in.

Also a NYU law graduate should call you soon.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:19 pm

ravens20 wrote:
Sogui wrote:

That's weird. You didn't get the viewbook and the faculty book/contact list? I got mine in the mail a few weeks after I got in.

Also a NYU law graduate should call you soon.

No viewbook or faculty material. Though since I got 2 items from NYU in the past 2 days I wouldn't be surprised if more was on the way.

Also, I played Halo 2 on Legendary but with a friend... parts of Halo 3 solo-legendary were just absurd.

gilagarta

Postby gilagarta » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:42 pm

I'm in...via admitted students website. Could log in today for the first time. Applied 12/30, never heard anything from them. Hoping the envelope will arrive soon...so excited!

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:05 pm

Also in via website :D . Happy to know that I can break into the CCN tier.

Illijah

Postby Illijah » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:38 pm

I only recieved an acceptance letter and another page that let me know how to save a seat/withdraw. Quite possibly the most pompous acceptance letter one can send btw "Congratulations on being admitted...i'm going to let you take a second and savor this moment..."
but with that said I don't have ANY info on the school no maps, no faculty book, no nothing... :(

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:45 pm

Illijah wrote:I only recieved an acceptance letter and another page that let me know how to save a seat/withdraw. Quite possibly the most pompous acceptance letter one can send btw "Congratulations on being admitted...i'm going to let you take a second and savor this moment..."
but with that said I don't have ANY info on the school no maps, no faculty book, no nothing... :(

you sound excited. :P

what you currently have is the initial acceptance packet. I'm sure the other good stuff will be coming really soon, they're just really busy right now and they're notoriously slow anyway :)

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:06 am

maudlinstreet wrote:what you currently have is the initial acceptance packet. I'm sure the other good stuff will be coming really soon, they're just really busy right now and they're notoriously slow anyway :)

fwiw, I think NYU is crazy fast compared to "we're going to let you agonize for months as your application sits in purgatory before we notify you of your ding/WL sometime in April" CLS :P

zarathustra

Postby zarathustra » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:09 am

In via status checker. I was checking the damn thing every single day. I bet they took pity on me. So excited :D

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:09 am

blue5385 wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:what you currently have is the initial acceptance packet. I'm sure the other good stuff will be coming really soon, they're just really busy right now and they're notoriously slow anyway :)

fwiw, I think NYU was crazy fast compared to "we're going to let you agonize for months as your application sits in purgatory before we notify you of your ding/WL sometime in April" CLS :P

I agree with this. I actually had no real complaints about NYU during this process, though I do think they (and CLS!) should update to a more technologically fashionable method of notifying accepted students. You know, like the telephone, or that thing called e-mail... :)

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:09 am

zarathustra wrote:In via status checker. I was checking the damn thing every single day. I bet they took pity on me. So excited :D

NYU has a status checker? I guess I completely missed it... Congrats, though!

Illijah

Postby Illijah » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:10 am

blue5385 wrote:
zarathustra wrote:In via status checker. I was checking the damn thing every single day. I bet they took pity on me. So excited :D

NYU has a status checker? I guess I completely missed it... Congrats, though!

theres no status checker lol......is there?

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:12 am

I think in this case, status checker = logging into admitted students website over and over again until success

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:14 am

maudlinstreet wrote:I agree with this. I actually had no real complaints about NYU during this process, though I do think they (and CLS!) should update to a more technologically fashionable method of notifying accepted students. You know, like the telephone, or that thing called e-mail... :)

No, because then decisions would take a much shorter time to reach people via a more reliable route, and there's nothing as fun as knowing people are worrying over their lack of a decision while you keep them dangling at your whim like puppets.

(I probably wouldn't be so bitter if I had the VCE like you :) )

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”