NYU 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kretzy

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Kretzy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:55 pm

I got two phone calls from current students and an email about financial aid stuff yesterday.

I withdrew 12.20. Is it bad form to try and withdraw twice? Or should I just roll with it?

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:59 pm

Kretzy wrote:I got two phone calls from current students and an email about financial aid stuff yesterday.

I withdrew 12.20. Is it bad form to try and withdraw twice? Or should I just roll with it?

Withdraw again. Send a polite email and then follow-up with a phone call an hour or so later.

dudester

Postby dudester » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:01 pm

Kretzy wrote:I got two phone calls from current students and an email about financial aid stuff yesterday.

Yeeaaaah, please go ahead and make sure they noted that you withdrew 'cause I need me your spot. :D

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:10 pm

dudester wrote:

Yeeaaaah, please go ahead and make sure they noted that you withdrew 'cause I need me your spot. :D

Haha, email sent. Let's see if it works this time :)

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:15 pm

So if I never received a fall grades request, does that mean I'm most likely rejected? I'm thinking yes. My GPA is 3.7, so sort of borderline. I would think if they were considering me, they would've asked, no?

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:18 pm

Kim617 wrote:So if I never received a fall grades request, does that mean I'm most likely rejected? I'm thinking yes. My GPA is 3.7, so sort of borderline. I would think if they were considering me, they would've asked, no?

Dunno, just update you're grades anyway though.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:42 pm

D Brooks wrote:
Kim617 wrote:So if I never received a fall grades request, does that mean I'm most likely rejected? I'm thinking yes. My GPA is 3.7, so sort of borderline. I would think if they were considering me, they would've asked, no?

Do you just send them to LSAC and then they're automatically sent to your schools?

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:45 pm

Kim617 wrote:
D Brooks wrote:

Do you just send them to LSAC and then they're automatically sent to your schools?

Yup.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:48 pm

Kim617 wrote:
D Brooks wrote:

Yes

Also, it does suck to know those 2 points are killing me everywhere. Especially because prior to the real thing I had never missed more than 1 logic game on a test, and nerves (along with being tired on the last section) caused me to miss 4 on the real thing. Oh well, it isn't worth it...I'll be happy no matter where I end up.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:48 pm

D Brooks wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
D Brooks wrote:

Yup.

Thanks!

Richard Rorty

Postby Richard Rorty » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:31 pm

Have we noted any trends regarding the people who had fall grade update requests?

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:46 pm

Richard Rorty wrote:Have we noted any trends regarding the people who had fall grade update requests?

I'm a splitter.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:47 pm

D Brooks wrote:
Richard Rorty wrote:Have we noted any trends regarding the people who had fall grade update requests?

I'm a splitter.

I guess I'm a reverse splitter (above 75th gpa, at 25th lsat).

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:50 pm

Just got my complete email, I guess they DID get my app!

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:00 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Just got my complete email, I guess they DID get my app!

+1

knickfan

Postby knickfan » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:19 pm

Just got the complete email. Sent in my app 1/4.

For those who have already received a decision- Does this email indicate that a decision is near OR simply that I am complete??

Thanks in advance

Core

Postby Core » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:49 pm

Another day of no news. I now see why people feel the need to take Xanax.

booboo

Postby booboo » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:51 pm

knickfan wrote:Just got the complete email. Sent in my app 1/4.

For those who have already received a decision- Does this email indicate that a decision is near OR simply that I am complete??

Thanks in advance

Just that you are complete, but there are those who do get decisions quickly.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:13 pm

booboo wrote:
knickfan wrote:Just got the complete email. Sent in my app 1/4.

Thanks in advance

Just that you are complete, but there are those who do get decisions quickly.

Some people with the fastest turnarounds have gotten in a week after going complete. Others have been complete for months before getting in. At this point, you're not going to be waiting more than a month and change, but, depending on your numbers, you may hear next week or in March.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:21 pm

I got a neat little fold-out map of Manhattan today, with Columbia noticeably covered, heh.

Just wondering if that's it for the NYU goodies? I got the letter and the map, but nothing bulky so far. I need to stop getting giddie when I check my mail.

I gotta say I'm really impressed with Columbia's package so far. Guidebook, Acceptance Folder, Big Blue Binder, and uhh call from Columbia student.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:24 pm

Sogui wrote:I got a neat little fold-out map of Manhattan today, with Columbia noticeably covered, heh.

Just wondering if that's it for the NYU goodies? I got the letter and the map, but nothing bulky so far. I need to stop getting giddie when I check my mail.

I gotta say I'm really impressed with Columbia's package so far. Guidebook, Acceptance Folder, Big Blue Binder, and uhh call from Columbia student.

+1.

The map certainly drives home how freaking awesome the NYU location is.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:59 pm

I remember a thread last year about NYU v. Columbia neighborhoods and it seems like people tended to prefer Columbia.

Looking at the map it seems like there's no contest, Morningside Heights has a few places to eat/drink, a nice park, and a few sites and easy subway access.

But Greenwich Village just seems like it's got a lot more going on. Maybe I'll have to revisit that old thread or ask my Columbia-pal what he thinks.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:08 pm

Sogui wrote:I remember a thread last year about NYU v. Columbia neighborhoods and it seems like people tended to prefer Columbia.

Looking at the map it seems like there's no contest, Morningside Heights has a few places to eat/drink, a nice park, and a few sites and easy subway access.

But Greenwich Village just seems like it's got a lot more hipsters to berate your fashion on a regular basis [strike]going on. Maybe I'll have to revisit that old thread or ask my Columbia-pal what he thinks.[/strike]

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:39 am

Sogui wrote:I remember a thread last year about NYU v. Columbia neighborhoods and it seems like people tended to prefer Columbia.

But Greenwich Village just seems like it's got a lot more going on. Maybe I'll have to revisit that old thread or ask my Columbia-pal what he thinks.

Let's not forget that Morningside Heights is a UWS-annex merging into Harlem. Most Columbia students rarely walk north of 122nd St or east Manhattan Ave. Having lived very close by for a couple of years, I can attest that it's a much more closed-off neighborhood than Greenwich Village, though if the UWS is more your style, it might be a better bet.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:01 am

Not a Columbia (or NYU) person (yet), but I did grow up in the NYC area, so I'll chime in.

Morningside Heights is very residential, with a nice commercial strip along Broadway. There's plenty to do, but the neighborhood is fairly relaxed and most of the locals will be Columbia students. However, that relaxation can be nice. You always have a very easy opportunity to slip south to Midtown, the Village, or really anywhere else in the city via the subway. The 1 train runs very regularly and right past the Columbia campus, and subways in NYC are open twenty-four hours.

Greenwich Village is wild and crazy. What relaxation you might see in Morningside Heights is thrown to the winds; the Village is one of the most bustling parts of the city and is jam-packed with stuff to do and with people: hipsters, tourists, students, businesspeople, etc. Ironically, you'll probably end up more insular at NYU than at Columbia simply because there's little reason to leave the Village other than to visit people living elsewhere (or to live elsewhere yourself--the Village is expensive!).

Basically, in terms of neighborhood, it's all about how much city you want right next door. If you live for the hustle of the urban, NYU is in a preferable neighborhood, but if you want a quiet area that still has easy access to the offerings of NYC, Columbia is in a preferable neighborhood.

Honestly, I wouldn't take Columbia's quieter area as a negative unless you're really, really into the idea of being able to walk down the street to four different bars or something. It's not like the subway ride from Morningside Heights to anywhere worth going is a hassle.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”