NYU 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Core

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Core » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:34 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
Core wrote:Anyone know if applying (and submitting an essay for) a scholars program (crim law, environmental, etc.) could account for a longer review period, or do they admit you first, notify you, and then begin considering you for any scholarships you applied for?

Hrmm, it would be interesting to see if that's the case. I applied for one, and just got fall grade request last week. Anyone who applied to these programs received a (quick) response?

Also, just to be clear, by review period, I meant review for admission, not exclusively for the scholarship.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:40 pm

They accepted me back in Dec very quickly even though I think that I'll be in the running for one of their scholarships. So, in my experience, they didn't hold my application for scholarship consideration at all. In fact, I read somewhere that they do not read the scholarship essays as part of the admissions process (?).

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:45 pm

sumus romani wrote:They accepted me back in Dec very quickly even though I think that I'll be in the running for one of their scholarships. So, in my experience, they didn't hold my application for scholarship consideration at all. In fact, I read somewhere that they do not read the scholarship essays as part of the admissions process (?).

Ya I thought so, and I heard that too. Oh well I guess there is no excuse for why they took so long to review me.

wackadoodle

Postby wackadoodle » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:45 pm

Blacklist wrote:
TheWire wrote:
aad wrote:
Blacklist wrote:Anybody in Southern California get the email this morning about the alumni/admitted students' event in Beverly Hills?

I got the email a week or two ago. Sounds like a good event. I'm already RSVP'd.

thank god for tls...i didn't get that. i called them and its fixed now...ive heard from my friends that went last yr that this event is pretty sick.

Thanks for the gouge. I was on the fence about going due to the logistics (I live in San Diego), but it's starting to sound worthwhile.

When is this event?

Core

Postby Core » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:52 pm

sumus romani wrote:They accepted me back in Dec very quickly even though I think that I'll be in the running for one of their scholarships. So, in my experience, they didn't hold my application for scholarship consideration at all. In fact, I read somewhere that they do not read the scholarship essays as part of the admissions process (?).

Darn, I was hoping that's why I hadn't heard back.

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:59 pm

Hey Core, I've been UR since Nov... so also waiting and wondering if I'll be under considered for scholarship if I don't hear back soon!

Blacklist

Postby Blacklist » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:27 am

wackadoodle wrote:When is this event?

24 Feb.

gilagarta

Postby gilagarta » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:40 am

Core wrote:

Me too. I applied 12/30, got the received email 1/12, but never got the complete on 1/20. It's making me nervous that some people from this batch have already gotten in and I was hoping that maybe applying for the RTK was holding up my app. Should I call/email to make sure I've gone complete, or do you all think that's unnecessary harassment?

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:18 pm

Does anyone know any stats on the RTK -- how many people apply, how many are invited for the interview day and how many offers are extended?

wjnahill

Postby wjnahill » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:59 pm

Any post-December people hear back from NYU lately?

Not a fan of the waiting...

rolark

Postby rolark » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:02 pm

scribelaw wrote:Does anyone know any stats on the RTK -- how many people apply, how many are invited for the interview day and how many offers are extended?

I'm also wondering if anyone has information on this.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:14 pm

gilagarta wrote:
Core wrote:

Me too. I applied 12/30, got the received email 1/12, but never got the complete on 1/20. It's making me nervous that some people from this batch have already gotten in and I was hoping that maybe applying for the RTK was holding up my app. Should I call/email to make sure I've gone complete, or do you all think that's unnecessary harassment?

+1

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:33 pm

I emailed them with that same question. They were very polite about it, didn't seem annoyed at all, just told me that my file was complete and under review (as of 1/22, when they got back to me). Emailing them won't hurt as long as you're friendly about it.

gilagarta

Postby gilagarta » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:36 pm

They give 20 RTK scholarships, but I don't know how many people apply or how many applicants get interviewed. Looks like we might not be able to even be considered if we're not accepted fairly soon, because they only forward the scholarship apps on once you're already accepted. Candidates who are selected for interviews will be notified by telephone or email between February 22 and March 15, 2010.

More info here:
http://www.law.nyu.edu/publicinterestla ... /index.htm

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:38 am

has anyone actually been waitlisted yet? any early applicants out there still holding onto a sliver of hope?

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:51 am

gahthelaw wrote:has anyone actually been waitlisted yet? any early applicants out there still holding onto a sliver of hope?

I am. They requested fall grades so that's something.

Core

Postby Core » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:52 am

gahthelaw wrote:has anyone actually been waitlisted yet? any early applicants out there still holding onto a sliver of hope?

I'm quickly losing hope. Applied in October, and URMs with #'s lower than mine have gotten in.

Snoopy1216

Postby Snoopy1216 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:58 am

I honestly think this whole waiting thing is ridiculous. I hate "batches" and "complete date correlations".... Im sick of this. Law schools should just come out with all the decisions on one day! Everything something time in March. Acc, Rej, and WL all at once so there is no compulsive status checking or comparing stat notes.

just needed to vent... i hate this.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:00 am

Snoopy1216 wrote:I honestly think this whole waiting thing is ridiculous. I hate "batches" and "complete date correlations".... Im sick of this. Law schools should just come out with all the decisions on one day! Everything something time in March. Acc, Rej, and WL all at once so there is no compulsive status checking or comparing stat notes.

If the process was like that you'd be here on the forum saying "why do I have to wait as long as someone who sent their app in on the last day when I got mine in on the first day!" It would appear easier, but a little stress is better than not being able to make any plans until April.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:02 am

Snoopy1216 wrote:I honestly think this whole waiting thing is ridiculous. I hate "batches" and "complete date correlations".... Im sick of this. Law schools should just come out with all the decisions on one day! Everything something time in March. Acc, Rej, and WL all at once so there is no compulsive status checking or comparing stat notes.

agreed. its absolutely ridiculous. i'm seriously thinking about hand delivering a LOCI next week, especially since i'm already out of school and have no grade requests / transcript updates to make them think of me. i don't think they realize how much i love them.

Postby 02082010 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:11 am

Last edited by 02082010 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ravens20

Postby ravens20 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:39 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:Anyone care to take a look at my NYU LOCI?

Sure.

Snoopy1216

Postby Snoopy1216 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:48 am

Jericwithers wrote:

If the process was like that you'd be here on the forum saying "why do I have to wait as long as someone who sent their app in on the last day when I got mine in on the first day!" It would appear easier, but a little stress is better than not being able to make any plans until April.

Yeah, you may be right... But, I still hate this and am willing to see one school try it the other way lol.

Have you guys waited the full 3 months before sending LOCIs? Because I've only hit 2 months and some change since going complete (no waitlist and no deferral, just waiting), but I am thinking about sending one. Too soon?

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:56 am

Snoopy1216 wrote:Have you guys waited the full 3 months before sending LOCIs? Because I've only hit 2 months and some change since going complete (no waitlist and no deferral, just waiting), but I am thinking about sending one. Too soon?

I actually sent one like 10 days after going complete (1 month after applying) as a combination "why NYU"/LOCI. I'm still not sure if it was a great idea. But I just wanted them to know that they were my absolute #1 choice.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:57 am

Jericwithers wrote:

I support a system of giving decisions strictly by submission date though. Submitted in Sept? Decisions in Nov. Submitted in Oct? Decisions in Dec. etc etc.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”