NYU 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
gahthelaw
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:51 pm

for the love of god, no one is telling anyone else to jump off a cliff so check yourself before you wreck yourself (oh man i've been dying to say that to someone lately).

seriously though, if you do your research you should have a pretty good idea of where you stand with regard to the general applicant pool anyway, so what some random 0L tells you on a message board shouldn't freak you out so much. and while LSN and the like are typically said to only represent about 10% of the applicant pool, it's still a pretty good cross section of informed and competitive candidates. so unless you are very, very special, you are not going to game the system significantly better than anyone else.

User avatar
keiko
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby keiko » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:54 pm

things are moving so slowly today... *sigh*

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby BenJ » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:09 pm

Did anyone else who applied in late December/early January (before 1/8 or so) and got a "received" email on 1/12 or earlier NOT get a "complete" email today? I feel like the only one, and I'm tempted to bug them about it tomorrow, ask if there's anything they need. (Submitted 12/29 here.)

drsomebody
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby drsomebody » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:59 pm

BenJ wrote:Did anyone else who applied in late December/early January (before 1/8 or so) and got a "received" email on 1/12 or earlier NOT get a "complete" email today? I feel like the only one, and I'm tempted to bug them about it tomorrow, ask if there's anything they need. (Submitted 12/29 here.)

*raises hand*

CanadianEH
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:47 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby CanadianEH » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:05 pm

Me three. Got the "app recieved on 1/12, and didn't get completed today. Maybe we will be tomorrow?

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby BenJ » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:07 pm

Yeah, knowing I'm not alone cut down on the nerves. We should get the e-mail tomorrow. Frustrating that people who submitted after me went complete before me, though. Unless I get in at HYS, NYU is my top choice.

User avatar
Core
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Core » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:07 pm

BenJ wrote:Yeah, knowing I'm not alone cut down on the nerves. We should get the e-mail tomorrow. Frustrating that people who submitted after me went complete before me, though. Unless I get in at HYS, NYU is my top choice.

Same here.

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby englawyer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:10 pm

Core wrote:
BenJ wrote:Yeah, knowing I'm not alone cut down on the nerves. We should get the e-mail tomorrow. Frustrating that people who submitted after me went complete before me, though. Unless I get in at HYS, NYU is my top choice.

Same here.


interesting on both accounts. why no columbia love?

tarheel
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby tarheel » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:12 pm

I got the "app received" e-mail on 12/22, and haven't gotten a complete e-mail yet. I got the impression from this thread that it wasn't really anything to worry about.

User avatar
Core
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Core » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:15 pm

englawyer wrote:
Core wrote:
BenJ wrote:Yeah, knowing I'm not alone cut down on the nerves. We should get the e-mail tomorrow. Frustrating that people who submitted after me went complete before me, though. Unless I get in at HYS, NYU is my top choice.

Same here.


interesting on both accounts. why no columbia love?

My preference for NYU over CLS is marginal. I'm interested in PI and, based on reading these boards, am partial to NYU's less competitive atmosphere.

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby BenJ » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:34 pm

Core wrote:
englawyer wrote:
Core wrote:
BenJ wrote:Yeah, knowing I'm not alone cut down on the nerves. We should get the e-mail tomorrow. Frustrating that people who submitted after me went complete before me, though. Unless I get in at HYS, NYU is my top choice.

Same here.


interesting on both accounts. why no columbia love?

My preference for NYU over CLS is marginal. I'm interested in PI and, based on reading these boards, am partial to NYU's less competitive atmosphere.


Agree on all, except I'm more interested in urban/environmental law, which NYU is stronger in than Columbia. If Columbia gives me significantly more money than NYU (or some while NYU gives none), I'd go with Columbia.

mockstar
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby mockstar » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:59 pm

BenJ wrote:Did anyone else who applied in late December/early January (before 1/8 or so) and got a "received" email on 1/12 or earlier NOT get a "complete" email today? I feel like the only one, and I'm tempted to bug them about it tomorrow, ask if there's anything they need. (Submitted 12/29 here.)


Not everyone gets complete e-mails. NYU is kind of inconsistent like that. I never received a complete e-mail, and I got in in December.

User avatar
neutrino
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby neutrino » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:58 pm

This is my first post on TLS (although I've been a frequent lurker). How long does it usually take for NYU to acknowledge that they have received your application? I applied on Jan. 1st and I haven't heard a thing.

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby BenJ » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:31 pm

neutrino wrote:This is my first post on TLS (although I've been a frequent lurker). How long does it usually take for NYU to acknowledge that they have received your application? I applied on Jan. 1st and I haven't heard a thing.


They're irritatingly inconsistent. Most people who applied around that time received an email on 1/12 saying that NYU received their application, but some didn't. If you'd like, e-mail NYU to make sure that they have your application, but your "application received" e-mail probably just got lost in the shuffle. NYU's admissions office seems to be disorganized about providing information.

wackadoodle
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:02 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby wackadoodle » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:05 am

Sorry if this has been asked and answered- but if you can get onto the admitted students site does that mean you are in?

User avatar
pa.wink
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby pa.wink » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:08 am

boilercat wrote:just got an e-mail from them today saying they received my app. submitted a little over a week ago. :mrgreen:


+1

portena
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:40 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby portena » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:25 am

wackadoodle wrote:Sorry if this has been asked and answered- but if you can get onto the admitted students site does that mean you are in?


Holy crap I just tried and it worked for me too! So...I guess we're in?

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby BenJ » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:29 am

portena wrote:
wackadoodle wrote:Sorry if this has been asked and answered- but if you can get onto the admitted students site does that mean you are in?


Holy crap I just tried and it worked for me too! So...I guess we're in?


LOL, closemouthed NYU, not even telling people they're admitted. Yes, you're almost certainly in.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby 02082010 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:30 am

You're all going to hate me but what's the log in info for the admitted students site? Also, link?

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby BenJ » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:32 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:You're all going to hate me but what's the log in info for the admitted students site? Also, link?


https://its.law.nyu.edu/admitted/login/ ... /index.cfm

SSN for username and birthdate for password. It didn't work for me, said no record found, which is unsurprising considering that if I'm complete, it just happened today.

portena
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:40 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby portena » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:33 am

Sort of an anticlimactic first acceptance...I should have patiently waited for the purple envelope to make its way down South. But I'll take it!

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby 02082010 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:34 am

mehhhh.. nothing for me either. I'll get the WL promptly in April. No need to worry.

User avatar
gahthelaw
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby gahthelaw » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:37 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:mehhhh.. nothing for me either. I'll get the WL promptly in April. No need to worry.


ditto. to be honest, i'm kind of surprised. i sort of banked on nyu. maybe i shouldn't have, but i just had this feeling i'd be at nyu in the fall.

User avatar
mayosmith
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:05 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby mayosmith » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:18 am

BenJ wrote:https://its.law.nyu.edu/admitted/login/login.cfm?SSURLTYPE=1&NODEID=4300&STELLENT_QS=IdcService%3DSS_GET_PAGE&SITEID=nyu_law_website&SITERELATIVEURL=/admissions/jdadmissions/admittedstudents/index.htm&RETURNSERVER=www.law.nyu.edu&APPNAME=admitted&dest=/stellent/authenticate/index.cfm

At least we have an NYU status checker now.

wackadoodle
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:02 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby wackadoodle » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:18 am

sooo I could log into the admitted students page yesterday but today it doesn't work....what to make of this? maybe they decided they hate me?

Did this happen to anyone else?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Assasindowntheavenue, finaciardi, glockov, Houzy, itshandled, jjcorvino, malysh, mcvizz, metaxerox88, smartmoon and 20 guests