NYU 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
mochafury
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:32 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby mochafury » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:41 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:NYU hates me. I'm basically the only competitive applicant to not hear yet from the 11/17 complete batch.


Hm. This is peculiar as we have eerily similar backgrounds and stats, and I applied after you. I wouldn't worry, unless you wrote your PS about cofounding Bad Newz Kennelz with Mike Vick.

User avatar
DallasCowboy
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:47 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby DallasCowboy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:56 pm

Haha, no. I used the same one that got me into the other schools. Maybe they just don't like us southern hicks.

User avatar
Gwen
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:54 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Gwen » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:46 pm

Since I'm a gluten for punishment I decided to join in

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby 02082010 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:22 pm

Complete 11/10. Still nothing.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:55 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:Complete 11/03. Still nothing.


ftfm

insidethetwenty
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:00 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby insidethetwenty » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:08 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:NYU hates me. I'm basically the only competitive applicant to not hear yet from the 11/17 complete batch.


I'm right there with you.

protokurios
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:49 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby protokurios » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:51 pm

Complete 11/2 and not a single word from NYU.

User avatar
GobiasIndustries
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:56 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby GobiasIndustries » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:13 pm

Just applied; wasn't on my radar (because my numbers are not good enough), but they sent me a package that was really nice and I figured it couldn't hurt. Being this late in the cycle will probably also hurt, but hey.

User avatar
violaboy
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby violaboy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:52 pm

protokurios wrote:Complete 11/2 and not a single word from NYU.


+1

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Veyron » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:00 am

I'm fucking phyched. Epstein in particular almost made me bust a nut.

from: --LinkRemoved--

Thursday, November 20, 2008
NYU Law Is The Place To Be
In what looks like another coup for NYU Law, it was announced this week that visiting professor Richard A. Epstein will be making a permanent move from Chicago to New York. From NYU Law's website:

Professor Richard Epstein, the James Parker Hall Distinguished Service Professor of Law at the University of Chicago, will join NYU School of Law as a permanent member of the faculty in Fall 2010.

Epstein, who is currently visiting the Law School for the fourth time, is considered to be one of the most influential thinkers in legal academia. He is well known for his research and writings on a broad range of constitutional, economic, historical, and philosophical subjects

'I am honored to be able to join the NYU faculty whose collegiality and seriousness of purpose has been evident to me since I first started visiting at NYU four years ago,' Epstein said.


It's sad to see Chicago Law lose another libertarian thinker in its continuing metamorphosis from a bastion of conservative thought into one that teaches "Law and Poverty or other made up stuff" (This is Scalia talking ... I'm really just trying to fit this in the post and still think Chicago is a hell of a school).

In any case, NYU has made a habit out of coaxing great professors away from other prestigious schools lately. They don't kid around either. Columbia lost Catherine Sharkey to us after NYU sweetened the move downtown with a bad ass $4.2 million dollar floor of a turreted apartment complex near the park. [emphasis Veyron's] Some other notables include Arthur Miller from Harvard (many believe he is the inspiration for Scott Turow's Perini in One L), Estlund from Texas (now working on the NLRB Obama transition), Hills from Michigan, and now Epstein from Chicago.

Maybe Epstein's move is a signal that NYU is moving in a new direction; away from that which made me name my blog after a shitty Gene Hackman movie.

Naming Epstein as my hero in a previous post and creating three articles in as many weeks about him may make some of my readers think I have turned into a fanboy of the man; and maybe you're right - I'll try to restrain myself from now on. But in any event, I'm glad he's staying at NYU ... we need at least a smidgen of libertarianism here in the Village.
Posted by NYU Law Libertarian 0 comments
Labels: Antonin Scalia, NYU, Richard A. Epstein, University of Chicago Law School

User avatar
mochafury
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:32 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby mochafury » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:10 am

^ + Yoshino

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Veyron » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:17 am

Very true. NYU may just have the strongest faculty in the country now. This might make decisions between NYU and other schools considerably easier barring some huge scholarship offers...

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:20 am

Veyron wrote:Very true. NYU may just have the strongest faculty in the country now. This may just make decisions between NYU and other schools considerably easier...


I might not go that far, but top 4 IMO.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Veyron » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:29 am

Helmholtz wrote:
Veyron wrote:Very true. NYU may just have the strongest faculty in the country now. This may just make decisions between NYU and other schools considerably easier...


I might not go that far, but top 4 IMO.


Why not, which other school has more star power? Certainly not CLS (whose faculty has been decimated) or SLS (which for some reason never attracted as many top profs outside of IP law to begin with), arguably not HLS or YLS either, judging from a (admittedly cursory) review of their faculties. The fact is that the T6 school in the most desirable location willing to pay the biggest "salaries" (read bribes) is going to win the competition for the best talent. In the past, I get the impression that NYU was not nearly so aggressive.
Last edited by Veyron on Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:34 am

Veyron wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Veyron wrote:Very true. NYU may just have the strongest faculty in the country now. This may just make decisions between NYU and other schools considerably easier...


I might not go that far, but top 4 IMO.


Why not, which other school has more star power?


H, Y, and Chi.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Veyron » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:41 am

H and Y is arguable but losing Epstein was the final death knell of Chicago, they have like one good prof left. Trust me, as a libertarian leaning republican I would love to love Chi, but as Scalia has said, it is def in decline. I think his exact words were:

I don't think the University of Chicago is what it was in my time (when he taught there). I would not recommend it to students looking for a law school as I would have years ago...
Last edited by Veyron on Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby GeePee » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:47 am

Veyron wrote:H and Y is arguable but losing Epstein was the final death knell of Chicago, they have like one good prof left. Trust me, as a libertarian leaning republican I would love to love Chi, but as Scalia has said, it is def in decline (I think his exact words were "I would no longer recommend it to perspective law students."

I agree. The Posners are just third-rate law professors anyway.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:50 am

Veyron wrote:H and Y is arguable but losing Epstein was the final death knell of Chicago, they have like one good prof left. Trust me, as a libertarian leaning republican I would love to love Chi, but as Scalia has said, it is def in decline (I think his exact words were "I would no longer recommend it to perspective law students."


Only one good prof left? Nussbaum? Eric Posner? Richard Posner? Doesn't Sunstein till teach as a visiting prof?

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby IAFG » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:01 am

Helmholtz wrote:
Veyron wrote:H and Y is arguable but losing Epstein was the final death knell of Chicago, they have like one good prof left. Trust me, as a libertarian leaning republican I would love to love Chi, but as Scalia has said, it is def in decline (I think his exact words were "I would no longer recommend it to perspective law students."


Only one good prof left? Nussbaum? Eric Posner? Richard Posner? Doesn't Sunstein till teach as a visiting prof?

hey helm, are we getting in to chi?

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Veyron » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:45 am

Yah, the Posners are legit. The others, though still important, are a bit more obscure. I mean all this is clearly subjective but:

Nussbaum, Eric Posner, Richard Posner, Sunstein < Nagel, Epstein, Dworkin, Yoshino, Miller, Barkow

IMHO anyways.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:17 am

IAFG wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Veyron wrote:H and Y is arguable but losing Epstein was the final death knell of Chicago, they have like one good prof left. Trust me, as a libertarian leaning republican I would love to love Chi, but as Scalia has said, it is def in decline (I think his exact words were "I would no longer recommend it to perspective law students."


Only one good prof left? Nussbaum? Eric Posner? Richard Posner? Doesn't Sunstein till teach as a visiting prof?

hey helm, are we getting in to chi?

Image

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby calicocat » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:16 am

Helmholtz wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Veyron wrote:H and Y is arguable but losing Epstein was the final death knell of Chicago, they have like one good prof left. Trust me, as a libertarian leaning republican I would love to love Chi, but as Scalia has said, it is def in decline (I think his exact words were "I would no longer recommend it to perspective law students."


Only one good prof left? Nussbaum? Eric Posner? Richard Posner? Doesn't Sunstein till teach as a visiting prof?

hey helm, are we getting in to chi?

Image

Take it to the pessimism thread

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:21 am

Oli wrote:
Take it to the pessimism thread


I am pessimistic about the chances of this image being considered sufficiently pessimistic for that thread (which seems to have vanished, BTW).

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby calicocat » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:42 am

managamy wrote:
Oli wrote:
Take it to the pessimism thread


I am pessimistic about the chances of this image being considered sufficiently pessimistic for that thread (which seems to have vanished, BTW).

It's hiding from optimists

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:51 am

Oli wrote:
managamy wrote:
Oli wrote:
Take it to the pessimism thread


I am pessimistic about the chances of this image being considered sufficiently pessimistic for that thread (which seems to have vanished, BTW).

It's hiding from optimists


Hiding from me, you mean. :lol:




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: canafsa, rikkebukh and 6 guests