NYU 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crackberry

Re: NYU 2010

Postby crackberry » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:43 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
VoidSix wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Are they delaying all WL/rejects until April again? Or will that be rolling as well this cycle?

People have been rejected already.

Non-ED?

No

dms87

Postby dms87 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Also a 162/171 retaker (3.75 GPA) with a 12/1 complete date.

Maybe someone can look at the RD acceptances and see if any splitters who are median-ish like we seem to be have gotten in?

I wrote what I viewed as a strong LSAT addendum about 2 deaths in the family in May before the June LSAT, so hopefully they'll consider that.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:27 pm

couple of questions (and I know they've probably been asked already but I haven't been following the thread)

1. how do they send out their decisions?
2. do you receive an emial once a decision has been made?
3. do you know of anyone who's gotten into NYU with sub par # that's a non URM? I know NYU is notoriously # driven but just curious.

THANKS!

s419

Postby s419 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:43 pm

efelleman wrote:I'm a 166->173 retaker, complete since forever ago. How interesting, never thought being a retaker would have something to do with it. Could this be potentially a good thing?

I don't mean to throw a wrench in this theory but I'm a retaker (163->175) and I got my acceptance letter on like 12/7 (I think). App sent 11/04, never got a complete email. I'm not sure why they would hold all the retakers -- it doesn't seem to me like they average or anything, I wrote an addendum but my reasons definitely wouldn't be considered strong by TLS standards. Good luck to you!

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:55 pm

SanBun wrote:couple of questions (and I know they've probably been asked already but I haven't been following the thread)

3. do you know of anyone who's gotten into NYU with sub par # that's a non URM? I know NYU is notoriously # driven but just curious.

THANKS!

1 - Snail mail. A big, purple envelope.
2 - No
3 - I have a (non-URM) buddy with 168, 3.6 who got in on Saturday. He has some alright softs and is from a Top 5 UG though.

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:45 pm

Is anyone still submitting scholarship essays? How are we supposed to submit them? By fax/email/snail mail? They told me snail mail would have to be received by the first... not postmarked.

georgebailey

Postby georgebailey » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:53 pm

fidesverita wrote:Is anyone still submitting scholarship essays? How are we supposed to submit them? By fax/email/snail mail? They told me snail mail would have to be received by the first... not postmarked.

can you submit scholarship essays after submitting rest of application/being accepted?

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:01 pm

crackberry wrote:
SanBun wrote:couple of questions (and I know they've probably been asked already but I haven't been following the thread)

THANKS!

1 - Snail mail. A big, purple envelope.
2 - No
3 - I have a (non-URM) buddy with 168, 3.6 who got in on Saturday. He has some alright softs and is from a Top 5 UG though.

Thanks crackberry, you appear to be quite the expert on pretty much every school I applied to :)

Your friend sounds an awful lot like me- similar #, top 10 UG and some outstanding softs (not exaggerating, really, but can't post details. PM for anyone interested). Nonetheless I remain pessimistic about chances at NYU, but hey, a girl can dream... :)

Postby 02082010 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:13 pm

Called NYU.

All decisions (admit/WL/deny) will be released on a rolling basis this cycle. So for those with earlier complete dates that haven't heard yet, you're honestly just still UR by the committee. I think I was speaking with the supposedly "mean" receptionist. But she said that's how they are doing things this cycle.

alabamabound

Postby alabamabound » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:19 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:Called NYU.

All decisions (admit/WL/deny) will be released on a rolling basis this cycle. So for those with earlier complete dates that haven't heard yet, you're honestly just still UR by the committee. I think I was speaking with the supposedly "mean" receptionist. But she said that's how they are doing things this cycle.

Thanks for the update, HU.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:21 pm

alabamabound wrote:

I went complete 11/17- can I safely assume that I am UR now and that I will hear soon? Like mid-January or so?

jocelyne

Postby jocelyne » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:27 pm

Last edited by jocelyne on Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:29 pm

Is that possible though? I haven't heard of any non-accept decisions for RDers. I've been complete for awhile. I'm quite borderline with 169 3.85.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:33 pm

SanBun wrote:
alabamabound wrote:

I went complete 11/17- can I safely assume that I am UR now and that I will hear soon? Like mid-January or so?

I went complete a week after you and they said I was under review when I called last week, so it's probably safe to assume you are or have been UR. I don't think there's a reason to expect a decision anytime soon, though. Just because admissions are rolling doesn't necessarily mean they are done chronologically (some people that submitted in Dec have already heard, for example). I think NYU is probably waiting to see how the next few weeks play out before doing anything with those of us who submitted early and haven't heard yet.

Postby 02082010 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:38 pm

goodolgil wrote:

Is that possible though? I haven't heard of any non-accept decisions for RDers. I've been complete for awhile. I'm quite borderline with 169 3.85.

To be honest, I was a little skeptical of her claim but just decided I would pass on the information anyway. She said that's how they did things last cycle as well. However, from observing last cycle on TLS, they didn't send out one non-ED WL until late March/early April. She really has no reason to lie though so who knows.

Postby 02082010 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:40 pm

On a tangential note, why are NYCers so unfriendly? When I called NYU, and when I have to call places/businesses in NYC everyone first seems shocked and then slightly annoyed that I begin my conversations with, "Hi, how are you?" or something like that. I guess those kinds of platitudes may be trite, but at least it's polite.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:44 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:On a tangential note, why are NYCers so unfriendly? When I called NYU, and when I have to call places/businesses in NYC everyone first seems shocked and then slightly annoyed that I begin my conversations with, "Hi, how are you?" or something like that. I guess those kinds of platitudes may be trite, but at least it's polite.

Eh, honestly this is a blown-out-of-proportion misconception. I guess it could be because I'm from NYC and therefore inured to the behavior, but I think NYC people aren't any more rude than people in other big cities.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:49 pm

crackberry wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:On a tangential note, why are NYCers so unfriendly? When I called NYU, and when I have to call places/businesses in NYC everyone first seems shocked and then slightly annoyed that I begin my conversations with, "Hi, how are you?" or something like that. I guess those kinds of platitudes may be trite, but at least it's polite.

Eh, honestly this is a blown-out-of-proportion misconception. I guess it could be because I'm from NYC and therefore inured to the behavior, but I think NYC people aren't any more rude than people in other big cities.

I'm from NYC and I've never found anybody to be impolite. I think people are just getting 100 calls a minute and don't really have time for small talk and chit-chat. Though, I never really have anyone rude to me if I say "how are you?" If you want rudeness, go to Europe, they take the cake.

Postby 02082010 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:53 pm

I guess if a large part of your day gets interrupted bc you have to answer phones it would get annoying. I've been to NYC a handful of times for long weekends to visit friends and no one was blatantly rude. Just different from the midwest I guess.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:00 pm

honestly, i'd be weirded out too, especially if i'm already in a bad mood. my automatic mental kickback would be 'you're not my friend, why are you asking?' at my job, the only people who dont know me, call me unsolicited, and then ask how i am are always trying to get me to buy their ad space or something. obviously it's just a regional thing, but it almost seems rude to ask - too personal or chummy or something.

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:55 pm

Kim617 wrote:
crackberry wrote:

I'm from NYC and I've never found anybody to be impolite. I think people are just getting 100 calls a minute and don't really have time for small talk and chit-chat. Though, I never really have anyone rude to me if I say "how are you?" If you want rudeness, go to Europe, they take the cake.

Having lived in Europe for a year, I'd say New Yorkers are equally "rude" as Europeans. But who's to say they're rude? Maybe West Coasters are just "nicer" because we get more sun. :) No seasonal affective disorder.

dms87

Postby dms87 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:39 pm

FWIW, LSN is showing only one RD acceptance from the 12/1 complete crowd.
Conversely, there have been 12 RD acceptances from the 12/8 group, one from 12/9, and one from 12/7.

This strikes me as quite odd and may be at least some reason for optimism, or at least an argument against pessism, for those who went complete 12/1 and haven't had a decision yet.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:13 am

fidesverita wrote:Having lived in Europe for a year, I'd say New Yorkers are equally "rude" as Europeans. But who's to say they're rude? Maybe West Coasters are just "nicer" because we get more sun. :) No seasonal affective disorder.

I definitely suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder.

jocelyne

Postby jocelyne » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:24 am

Last edited by jocelyne on Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ValiantVic

Postby ValiantVic » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:23 pm

There will be one last wave correct? When should we expect the next round of decisions?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”