NYU 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
gahthelaw
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:27 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
This is your personal experience. This is why you can't generalize about any other races and say italian-americans are more maligned than other segments of society and this show is more racist than other shows in the past playing off of individual stereotypes. You have anecdotes about what you've experienced. I believe them and it sucks. Welcome to life. Lots of people persecute others for crappy reasons and I'm sorry you get messed with. I got called fat for all of middle school and half of high school and I'm not on my soapbox bitching about 650-lb virgin and I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant.


i never said this show was more racist or that italian-americans are more maligned. i'm just saying that it IS racist and they ARE maligned. of course other groups are as well, and just as those groups need their defenders, so do italian-americans.

User avatar
GlobeTrotter
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:45 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby GlobeTrotter » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:27 pm

Whoa whoa whoa... what world are you living in? For every one Italian jab I have heard I have heard countless jabs about AA. I think this may be a regional thing. If you live near a lot of The Jersey shore style Italians, you may have more negative stereotypes about them... same goes for AA. I'm from Kansas and I can honestly say I have really never heard negative comments about Italians. AA yes, but not Italians.

That's her point. You hadn't heard them until now...

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:28 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
This is your personal experience. This is why you can't generalize about any other races and say italian-americans are more maligned than other segments of society and this show is more racist than other shows in the past playing off of individual stereotypes. You have anecdotes about what you've experienced. I believe them and it sucks. Welcome to life. Lots of people persecute others for crappy reasons and I'm sorry you get messed with. I got called fat for all of middle school and half of high school and I'm not on my soapbox bitching about 650-lb virgin and I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant.


i never said this show was more racist or that italian-americans are more maligned. i'm just saying that it IS racist and they ARE maligned. of course other groups are as well, and just as those groups need their defenders, so do italian-americans.


gahthelaw wrote:there's a difference. No one, upon meeting an AA person, makes jokes about them loving crack because of the Chapelle Show. Or if they do, it's not going to be well-accepted by the person or anyone else around.

User avatar
gahthelaw
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:28 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
maggiebre wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:You think anyone is going to go up to an Italian and say "Hey Guido... nice hairgel" and not get punched in the face?


i can think of many, many situations off the top of my head where people in professional situations have made negative comments about italian americans and no one says anything. are you going to punch your interviewer for a job in the face? your professor? your boss?


And I get comments often about being an alcoholic because I'm Irish... doesn't bother me. There are stereotypes about most ethnic/racial groups.


I'm German-American and I get Nazi/Hitler comments all the time.


do people assume you're stupid? if they don't assume negative things about you automatically, then there was probably a concerted effort on the part of members of those ethnic / racial groups to fight those stereotypes. italian-americans have to do the same thing now.

User avatar
gahthelaw
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:30 pm

nice thread title change there for 30 seconds.

User avatar
LaurenGayle
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:35 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby LaurenGayle » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:31 pm

Come on guys, don't fight.

Let's all just hug it out, get the same haircut, and do some jagerbombs. :wink:

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:31 pm

I've made some poor arguments and we've gotten off track.

The crux of my argument is that Jersey Shore is about individuals who also happen to be Italian-American.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6367
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby 5ky » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:32 pm

.
Last edited by 5ky on Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gahthelaw
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:32 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
This is your personal experience. This is why you can't generalize about any other races and say italian-americans are more maligned than other segments of society and this show is more racist than other shows in the past playing off of individual stereotypes. You have anecdotes about what you've experienced. I believe them and it sucks. Welcome to life. Lots of people persecute others for crappy reasons and I'm sorry you get messed with. I got called fat for all of middle school and half of high school and I'm not on my soapbox bitching about 650-lb virgin and I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant.


i never said this show was more racist or that italian-americans are more maligned. i'm just saying that it IS racist and they ARE maligned. of course other groups are as well, and just as those groups need their defenders, so do italian-americans.


gahthelaw wrote:there's a difference. No one, upon meeting an AA person, makes jokes about them loving crack because of the Chapelle Show. Or if they do, it's not going to be well-accepted by the person or anyone else around.


AAs are discriminated against in different ways. Of course it sucks, but I can't get on a soapbox about everyone!

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:33 pm

gahthelaw wrote:nice thread title change there for 30 seconds.


tbf, discussing the merits and possible racial/social prejudices in an MTV show is waaaay more entertaining than waiting for people with 178/3.9's to tell us they just got their shiny new purple envelope.

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:33 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:nice thread title change there for 30 seconds.


tbf, discussing the merits and possible racial/social prejudices in an MTV show is waaaay more entertaining than waiting for people with 178/3.9's to tell us they just got their shiny new purple envelope.


SO credited

User avatar
gahthelaw
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:34 pm

kittenmittons wrote:I've made some poor arguments and we've gotten off track.

The crux of my argument is that Jersey Shore is about individuals who also happen to be Italian-American.


as have I.

The crux of my argument is that those individuals, sponsored by MTV, are perpetuating a negative stereotype that is broadly applied to all members of their ethnic group, and that is bad because we're not supposed to like that kind of stuff in this country, no matter how funny the group or the stereotype is.

User avatar
gahthelaw
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:35 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:nice thread title change there for 30 seconds.


tbf, discussing the merits and possible racial/social prejudices in an MTV show is waaaay more entertaining than waiting for people with 178/3.9's to tell us they just got their shiny new purple envelope.


definitely. especially because my stupid envelope isn't going to be at my parents house when they get home today, damnit. (though maybe those kinds of predictions are better suited for Bitter Pessimism)

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:36 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:nice thread title change there for 30 seconds.


tbf, discussing the merits and possible racial/social prejudices in an MTV show is waaaay more entertaining than waiting for people with 178/3.9's to tell us they just got their shiny new purple envelope.


definitely. especially because my stupid envelope isn't going to be at my parents house when they get home today, damnit. (though maybe those kinds of predictions are better suited for Bitter Pessimism)


We'd welcome you with open arms and then turn our backs on you

User avatar
LaurenGayle
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:35 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby LaurenGayle » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:36 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:I've made some poor arguments and we've gotten off track.

The crux of my argument is that Jersey Shore is about individuals who also happen to be Italian-American.


as have I.

The crux of my argument is that those individuals, sponsored by MTV, are perpetuating a negative stereotype that is broadly applied to all members of their ethnic group, and that is bad because we're not supposed to like that kind of stuff in this country, no matter how funny the group or the stereotype is.



Right. Which is why we should focus on Gossip Girl.

User avatar
GlobeTrotter
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:45 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby GlobeTrotter » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:37 pm

Right. BTdubbs, I forgot to mention that I did receive my envelope as well (I had only reported to TLS my call on Monday to ask if they were sending a decision). I don't have sick numbers like that though.

User avatar
gahthelaw
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:37 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:nice thread title change there for 30 seconds.


tbf, discussing the merits and possible racial/social prejudices in an MTV show is waaaay more entertaining than waiting for people with 178/3.9's to tell us they just got their shiny new purple envelope.


definitely. especially because my stupid envelope isn't going to be at my parents house when they get home today, damnit. (though maybe those kinds of predictions are better suited for Bitter Pessimism)


We'd welcome you with open arms and then turn our backs on you


that sounds better than what i'm getting from schools.

Amelie
Posts: 814
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:19 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Amelie » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:38 pm

.
Last edited by Amelie on Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gahthelaw
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:38 pm

GlobeTrotter wrote:Right. BTdubbs, I forgot to mention that I did receive my envelope as well (I had only reported to TLS my call on Monday to ask if they were sending a decision). I don't have sick numbers like that though.


congrats! btw what did they say when you called? i'm too afraid to call.

User avatar
GlobeTrotter
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:45 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby GlobeTrotter » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:40 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
GlobeTrotter wrote:Right. BTdubbs, I forgot to mention that I did receive my envelope as well (I had only reported to TLS my call on Monday to ask if they were sending a decision). I don't have sick numbers like that though.


congrats! btw what did they say when you called? i'm too afraid to call.


I just asked if they would be able to tell me if a decision had been mailed. They said it had. This was before all of TLS called within 15 minutes though.

User avatar
radgrad
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:47 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby radgrad » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:45 pm

Re-posting.

Does anyone know if/when accepted students will be receiving more information? I'm specifically wondering if NYU does an early-ish Admitted Students Day? (Georgetown does one in January, for example.) I'm trying to budget vacation days for 2010 and law school visits are already eating them up.

Thanks

User avatar
rockchalk86
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:16 am

Re: NYU 2010

Postby rockchalk86 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:48 pm

How many people have come up to you and said hey that Jersey Shore show really changed my mind about Italian Americans? I now think all Italian Americans act that way. Lets be honest... it people from Jersey that act that way

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby crackberry » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:48 pm

Those of you who called, what did you say that led to you being told a decision had been mailed / that you were still at committee review? I've called twice now but avoided giving my name and each time I've been told that I would be notified when anything important happened.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:50 pm

crackberry wrote:Those of you who called, what did you say that led to you being told a decision had been mailed / that you were still at committee review? I've called twice now but avoided giving my name and each time I've been told that I would be notified when anything important happened.


She asked if I had received a completion e-mail, I said yes, she said ok, I asked if anything's been mailed out to me yet, she told me it hasn't, and then hung up on me.

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: NYU 2010

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:51 pm

Helmholtz wrote:She asked if I had received a completion e-mail, I said yes, she said ok, I asked if anything's been mailed out to me yet, she told me it hasn't, and then hung up on me.


She knew you were German-American




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Daaltaraan, Google Adsense [Bot], Kaziende, Veil of Ignorance, zeglo and 23 guests