NYU 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gahthelaw

Re: NYU 2010

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:12 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:exactly. this isn't about making fun of people from new jersey, it's about making fun of italian americans.

It's about making fun people who choose a guido lifestyle, a preponderance of which happen to be italian-americans. The Hills is about making fun of people who choose the lifestyle of trust-fund babies on the west coast, a preponderance of which happen to be WASPs.

but people don't make the jump from hating trust fund babies to having no respect for wasps in general like they do with italian americans. it's assumed that italian americans are tacky, mobbed up, uneducated oafs. it doesn't matter how smart, how classy, or how great of a person you are. you're a joke as soon as someone 'oh, you're italian?! bada bing!'

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:12 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:Since when has exploiting stereotypes for entertainment purposes ever been a problem? Look at all the "in the hood" movies or Chapelle Show. They use stereotypes to generate revenue. It is entertainment and nothing else. If people are ignorant enough to take these shows and movies and think and apply those values to everyone of that race, ethnicity, or persuasion than maybe we should do a show about those people. Ignorant Housewives of the South!

Subtle yankee trolling

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:13 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Seriously, what is the deal with Tripp? He's so dull, I can't understand why he would have two women fighting over him like that?

Also, I can't wait to see where this whole thing with Chuck's mom is going to go.

to get back on topic (because GG is on topic), yea wtf tripp. it must be the power thing.

Yeah, I'm way over that storyline. And I was a little weirded out by Chuck seeing/conversing with his dad this week. But the scene in the hospital? Give that man an emmy ;-)

And TLS has officially transitioned into NY Mag.

i know...the sinking to the hospital floor? i died.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:14 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:exactly. this isn't about making fun of people from new jersey, it's about making fun of italian americans.

It's about making fun people who choose a guido lifestyle, a preponderance of which happen to be italian-americans. The Hills is about making fun of people who choose the lifestyle of trust-fund babies on the west coast, a preponderance of which happen to be WASPs.

but people don't make the jump from hating trust fund babies to having no respect for wasps in general like they do with italian americans. it's assumed that italian americans are tacky, mobbed up, uneducated oafs. it doesn't matter how smart, how classy, or how great of a person you are. you're a joke as soon as someone 'oh, you're italian?! bada bing!'

Those assumptions were in place prior to Jersey Shore. That show isn't changing any minds. You could argue that it reinforces stereotypes for those who are already racist, but that still doesn't change the demo.

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:15 pm

Besides... Not being from the Northeast I though all Italians were in the Mafia. I think the Jersey Shore show could break that stereotype and add some diversity into the mix.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:15 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:Since when has exploiting stereotypes for entertainment purposes ever been a problem? Look at all the "in the hood" movies or Chapelle Show. They use stereotypes to generate revenue. It is entertainment and nothing else. If people are ignorant enough to take these shows and movies and think and apply those values to everyone of that race, ethnicity, or persuasion than maybe we should do a show about those people. Ignorant Housewives of the South!

there's a difference. No one, upon meeting an AA person, makes jokes about them loving crack because of the Chapelle Show. Or if they do, it's not going to be well-accepted by the person or anyone else around.

PapantlaFlyer

Postby PapantlaFlyer » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:16 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
maggiebre wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:Can we talk about Jersey Shore instead? You know, tv actually worth watching. Besides, its the final challenge of TEH RUINS tonight.

I was all for some Jersey Shore discussion... but not so much now I guess.

sorry to burst everyone's bubble. if you want to make a thread just for it i'll leave it alone. hating on italian americans is the only thing i ever get up in arms about.

I don't know why the hell you get so upset about it if it's REAL. These kind of people do exist, MTV just decided to bunch a few of them together and film them. Any person with any ounce of intelligence knows not all italian-americans are like that, but the truth is some are. Just the same as some black people are drug dealers, some are Obama, some hispanics are gang bangers, some are Sotomayor, and some WASPs are Lauren Conrad and others are Hillary Clinton.

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:16 pm

gahthelaw wrote:

there's a difference. No one, upon meeting an AA person, makes jokes about them loving crack because of the Chapelle Show. Or if they do, it's not going to be well-accepted by the person or anyone else around.

You think anyone is going to go up to an Italian and say "Hey Guido... nice hairgel" and not get punched in the face?

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:17 pm

PapantlaFlyer wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
maggiebre wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:Can we talk about Jersey Shore instead? You know, tv actually worth watching. Besides, its the final challenge of TEH RUINS tonight.

sorry to burst everyone's bubble. if you want to make a thread just for it i'll leave it alone. hating on italian americans is the only thing i ever get up in arms about.

I don't know why the hell you get so upset about it if it's REAL. These kind of people do exist, MTV just decided to bunch a few of them together and film them. Any person with any ounce of intelligence knows not all italian-americans are like that, but the truth is some are. Just the same as some black people are drug dealers, some are Obama, some hispanics are gang bangers, some are Sotomayor, and some WASPs are Lauren Conrad and others are Hillary Clinton.

I fail to see the difference here

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:17 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:Besides... Not being from the Northeast I though all Italians were in the Mafia. I think the Jersey Shore show could break that stereotype and add some diversity into the mix.

it could break that stereotype and add some actual diversity into the mix if it were supposed to be a show about italian americans. then they could feature all sorts of italian americans, including those of us who actually engage with our culture in a deeper way. instead it's a show about guidos who happen to be italian american. they're not resolving stereotypes, they're further entrenching them.

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:18 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:

Well, I'm half Italian too, and believe me, I get the stereotypes. Sometimes they are annoying, sometimes they are funny (All of my college friends called my dad Fat Tony -- his name is Paul). I feel like that stuff rolls off my back.

My problem with these shows (and I used to love them), is that society is celebrating people with pretty severe personality disorders. I used to think this was harmless, until that horrible story about the guy on Daisy of Love who killed that poor girl. Now I am less inclined to turn on these types of reality shows.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:18 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:Besides... Not being from the Northeast I though all Italians were in the Mafia. I think the Jersey Shore show could break that stereotype and add some diversity into the mix.

it could break that stereotype and add some actual diversity into the mix if it were supposed to be a show about italian americans. then they could feature all sorts of italian americans, including those of us who actually engage with our culture in a deeper way. instead it's a show about guidos who happen to be italian american. they're not resolving stereotypes, they're further entrenching them.

+1

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:18 pm

PapantlaFlyer wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
maggiebre wrote:

rockchalk86 wrote:Besides... Not being from the Northeast I though all Italians were in the Mafia.

PapantlaFlyer

Postby PapantlaFlyer » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:19 pm

I don't know why the hell you get so upset about it if it's REAL. These kind of people do exist, MTV just decided to bunch a few of them together and film them. Any person with any ounce of intelligence knows not all italian-americans are like that, but the truth is some are. Just the same as some black people are drug dealers, some are Obama, some hispanics are gang bangers, some are Sotomayor, and some WASPs are Lauren Conrad and others are Hillary Clinton.[/quote]

I fail to see the difference here[/quote]

Ok, some are Kid Rock and others are Bill Clinton.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:19 pm

PapantlaFlyer wrote:
PapantlaFlyer wrote:I don't know why the hell you get so upset about it if it's REAL. These kind of people do exist, MTV just decided to bunch a few of them together and film them. Any person with any ounce of intelligence knows not all italian-americans are like that, but the truth is some are. Just the same as some black people are drug dealers, some are Obama, some hispanics are gang bangers, some are Sotomayor, and some WASPs are Lauren Conrad and others are Hillary Clinton.

kittenmittons wrote:I fail to see the difference here

Ok, some are Kid Rock and others are Bill Clinton.

Still not doing it for me
Last edited by kittenmittons on Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:20 pm

gahthelaw wrote:

First off, let me point out that MTV is not doing this, the CAST MEMBERS are the ones furthering the stereotype. Unfortunately upstanding Italians are not interesting enough to have a show about so MTV doesn't do it. If your have a problem, take it up with the cast members.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:20 pm

PapantlaFlyer wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
maggiebre wrote:

Did Lauren Conrad just get compared to drug dealers and gang bangers?

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:21 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:

You think anyone is going to go up to an Italian and say "Hey Guido... nice hairgel" and not get punched in the face?

i can think of many, many situations off the top of my head where people in professional situations have made negative comments about italian americans and no one says anything. are you going to punch your interviewer for a job in the face? your professor? your boss?

PapantlaFlyer

Postby PapantlaFlyer » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:22 pm

I was all for some Jersey Shore discussion... but not so much now I guess.[/quote]

sorry to burst everyone's bubble. if you want to make a thread just for it i'll leave it alone. hating on italian americans is the only thing i ever get up in arms about.[/quote]

I don't know why the hell you get so upset about it if it's REAL. These kind of people do exist, MTV just decided to bunch a few of them together and film them. Any person with any ounce of intelligence knows not all italian-americans are like that, but the truth is some are. Just the same as some black people are drug dealers, some are Obama, some hispanics are gang bangers, some are Sotomayor, and some WASPs are Lauren Conrad and others are Hillary Clinton.[/quote]

Did Lauren Conrad just get compared to drug dealers and gang bangers?[/quote]

Are they not in the same group??

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:23 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:

i can think of many, many situations off the top of my head where people in professional situations have made negative comments about italian americans and no one says anything. are you going to punch your interviewer for a job in the face? your professor? your boss?

This is your personal experience. This is why you can't generalize about any other races and say italian-americans are more maligned than other segments of society and this show is more racist than other shows in the past playing off of individual stereotypes. You have anecdotes about what you've experienced. I believe them and it sucks. Welcome to life. Lots of people persecute others for crappy reasons and I'm sorry you get messed with. I got called fat for all of middle school and half of high school and I'm not on my soapbox bitching about 650-lb virgin and I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant.

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:24 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:

Whoa whoa whoa... what world are you living in? For every one Italian jab I have heard I have heard countless jabs about AA. I think this may be a regional thing. If you live near a lot of The Jersey shore style Italians, you may have more negative stereotypes about them... same goes for AA. I'm from Kansas and I can honestly say I have really never heard negative comments about Italians. AA yes, but not Italians.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:25 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:You think anyone is going to go up to an Italian and say "Hey Guido... nice hairgel" and not get punched in the face?

And I get comments often about being an alcoholic because I'm Irish... doesn't bother me. There are stereotypes about most ethnic/racial groups.

GlobeTrotter

Postby GlobeTrotter » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:25 pm

This is your personal experience. This is why you can't generalize about any other races and say italian-americans are more maligned than other segments of society and this show is more racist than other shows in the past playing off of individual stereotypes. You have anecdotes about what you've experienced. I believe them and it sucks. Welcome to life. Lots of people persecute others for crappy reasons and I'm sorry you get messed with. I got called fat for all of middle school and half of high school and I'm not on my soapbox bitching about 650-lb virgin and I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant.

tu quoque

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:26 pm

maggiebre wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:You think anyone is going to go up to an Italian and say "Hey Guido... nice hairgel" and not get punched in the face?

And I get comments often about being an alcoholic because I'm Irish... doesn't bother me. There are stereotypes about most ethnic/racial groups.

I'm German-American and I get Nazi/Hitler comments all the time.

radgrad

Postby radgrad » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:27 pm

Sorry to, um, change the topic. But:

Does anyone know if/when accepted students will be receiving more information? I'm specifically wondering if NYU does an early-ish Admitted Students Day? (Georgetown does one in January, for example.) I'm trying to budget vacation days for 2010 and law school visits are already eating them up.

Thanks!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”