NYU 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Jericwithers

Re: NYU 2010

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:44 pm

grrrstick wrote:In!!!!! Also got the envelope today, postmarked 12/4. On the West Coast. 180/3.78

You've had good luck today, but I wouldn't expect anything less from stats that impressive.

PrincessAJ

Postby PrincessAJ » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:45 pm

In...I also got my envelope today, and I live relatively close to NYC (in PA). The mail can be so weird sometimes.

Congrats to everyone!

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:47 pm

Wait... is my google search right? Are you all talking about gossip girls?

::throw up smiley::

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:47 pm

kittenmittons wrote:Can we talk about Jersey Shore instead? You know, tv actually worth watching. Besides, its the final challenge of TEH RUINS tonight.

not to be a brat about it, but that jersey shore show is the most racist, awful thing i've ever seen. no one would ever dream of putting a show on mtv called 'ghetto people of west philadelphia,' but when it's italians everyone just laughs at the dumb guidos.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:48 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Seriously, what is the deal with Tripp? He's so dull, I can't understand why he would have two women fighting over him like that?

Also, I can't wait to see where this whole thing with Chuck's mom is going to go.

you ARE watching! :)

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:48 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:Can we talk about Jersey Shore instead? You know, tv actually worth watching. Besides, its the final challenge of TEH RUINS tonight.

not to be a brat about it, but that jersey shore show is the most racist, awful thing i've ever seen. no one would ever dream of putting a show on mtv called 'ghetto people of west philadelphia,' but when it's italians everyone just laughs at the dumb guidos.

If they weren't so annoying, someone might find it offensive.

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:49 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Seriously, what is the deal with Tripp? He's so dull, I can't understand why he would have two women fighting over him like that?

Also, I can't wait to see where this whole thing with Chuck's mom is going to go.

Maureen's power hungry and Serena's an idiot. Easy enough.

Also, I can't watch Jersey Shore because I grew up going to Seaside Heights and I don't want to ruin all of my childhood memories.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:50 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:

Maureen's power hungry and Serena's an idiot. Easy enough.

Also, I can't watch Jersey Shore because I grew up going to Seaside Heights and I don't want to ruin all of my childhood memories.

Are you as much in favor of Serena and Nate as I am?

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:51 pm

gahthelaw wrote:

LOL @ it being racist. It's a lifestyle choice

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:51 pm

gahthelaw wrote: no one would ever dream of putting a show on mtv called 'ghetto people of west philadelphia,

IIIIIn West Philadelphia born and raised!

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:53 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:

If they weren't so annoying, someone might find it offensive.

but of course there are going to be unlikeable people who belong to any ethnic group who are willing to play up negative stereotypes about their culture to get on TV. that doesn't make it unoffensive. it's a shame that for lots of italian-americans that's what they assume their culture to be. educated italian-americans have distanced themselves from italian and italian-american culture to such a large degree because of the negative stereotypes associated with it. it's hurt the community as a whole and it just sucks that mtv would perpetuate it and that a few dumb 20 year olds don't realize what they're doing to their culture just to be on tv.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:55 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:

LOL @ it being racist. It's a lifestyle choice

walking around acting like you're in a gang is a lifestyle choice too, but people don't make fun of that. instead we talk about ways to help members of that community.

obviously italian americans arent in gangs or dealing drugs to a large degree, but that doesn't mean that they aren't taught to not value education etc and that the resulting behavior is something to just make fun of.

FeuerFrei

Postby FeuerFrei » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:57 pm

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:58 pm

FeuerFrei wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
but of course there are going to be unlikeable people who belong to any ethnic group who are willing to play up negative stereotypes about their culture to get on TV. that doesn't make it unoffensive. it's a shame that for lots of italian-americans that's what they assume their culture to be. educated italian-americans have distanced themselves from italian and italian-american culture to such a large degree because of the negative stereotypes associated with it. it's hurt the community as a whole and it just sucks that mtv would perpetuate it and that a few dumb 20 year olds don't realize what they're doing to their culture just to be on tv.

I read only one of those guys is actually from Jersey...6 douchebags from NY and 1 from RI

WTF

exactly. this isn't about making fun of people from new jersey, it's about making fun of italian americans.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:01 pm

to get back on topic (because GG is on topic), yea wtf tripp. it must be the power thing.

GlobeTrotter

Postby GlobeTrotter » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:04 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
FeuerFrei wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:

I read only one of those guys is actually from Jersey...6 douchebags from NY and 1 from RI

WTF

exactly. this isn't about making fun of people from new jersey, it's about making fun of italian americans.

Are YOU an Italian American? I detect a slight blowout in your avatar.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:05 pm

Last edited by Amelie on Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:06 pm

GlobeTrotter wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
FeuerFrei wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:

WTF

Are YOU an Italian American? I detect a slight blowout in your avatar.

i don't think i could get this righteously indignant about the jersey shore show if i weren't.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:07 pm

gahthelaw wrote:

to get back on topic (because GG is on topic), yea wtf tripp. it must be the power thing.

What was up with the wolves? Twilight shoutout maybe?

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:07 pm

gahthelaw wrote:exactly. this isn't about making fun of people from new jersey, it's about making fun of italian americans.

It's about making fun people who choose a guido lifestyle, a preponderance of which happen to be italian-americans. The Hills is about making fun of people who choose the lifestyle of trust-fund babies on the west coast, a preponderance of which happen to be WASPs.
Last edited by kittenmittons on Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GlobeTrotter

Postby GlobeTrotter » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:08 pm

i don't think i could get this righteously indignant about the jersey shore show if i weren't.

and smart? hot hot hot

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:09 pm

maggiebre wrote:

I was all for some Jersey Shore discussion... but not so much now I guess.

sorry to burst everyone's bubble. if you want to make a thread just for it i'll leave it alone. hating on italian americans is the only thing i ever get up in arms about.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:10 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:exactly. this isn't about making fun of people from new jersey, it's about making fun of italian americans.

It's about making fun people who choose a guido lifestyle, a preponderance of which happen to be italian-americans. The Hills is about making fun of people who choose the lifestyle of trust-fund babies on the west coast, a preponderance of which happen to be WASPs.

Exactly what i was thinking. There's also the Real Housewives show, which could be seen as making fun of WASPS (OC) or AAs (Atlanta). Reality TV makes fun of people of all races.

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:11 pm

Since when has exploiting stereotypes for entertainment purposes ever been a problem? Look at all the "in the hood" movies or Chapelle Show. They use stereotypes to generate revenue. It is entertainment and nothing else. If people are ignorant enough to take these shows and movies and think and apply those values to everyone of that race, ethnicity, or persuasion than maybe we should do a show about those people. Ignorant Housewives of the South!

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:11 pm

gahthelaw wrote:

Yeah, I'm way over that storyline. And I was a little weirded out by Chuck seeing/conversing with his dad this week. But the scene in the hospital? Give that man an emmy ;-)

And TLS has officially transitioned into NY Mag.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”