NYU 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dakatz

Gold

Re: NYU 2010

Post by dakatz » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:11 pm

nax425 wrote:well they never committed to anything other than a decision by the end of april (unless if you were ED, in which case, you know by now whether you got in, rejected, or deferred). calling can't hurt, but all they'll do is tell you whether a decision has been made or not. I don't think the reps on the phones have anything to do with the actual decisions. I could be wrong.
Yet most schools have April 15th deadlines. That they would force people who applied in October to pay a deposit at another school solely in order to get a decision in the first place, is incredibly insulting.

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:15 pm

dakatz wrote:
nax425 wrote:well they never committed to anything other than a decision by the end of april (unless if you were ED, in which case, you know by now whether you got in, rejected, or deferred). calling can't hurt, but all they'll do is tell you whether a decision has been made or not. I don't think the reps on the phones have anything to do with the actual decisions. I could be wrong.
Yet most schools have April 15th deadlines. That they would force people who applied in October to pay a deposit at another school solely in order to get a decision in the first place, is incredibly insulting.
From http://www.law.nyu.edu/admissions/jdadm ... /index.htm:

"Candidates who apply by our regular February 1 deadline (must have taken the LSAT by the previous December to qualify) will be mailed notification by late April. Candidates may hear sooner than late April, but they will certainly hear by then.

Beyond these parameters it is not possible to predict an exact date on which a decision will be made on an application.

The Committee on Admissions recognizes that some law schools have deposit deadlines as early as April 1 and will ask a candidate for a commitment before that candidate receives a decision from NYU School of Law. Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to accelerate our process in these circumstances."

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:17 pm

starsong wrote:
dakatz wrote:
From http://www.law.nyu.edu/admissions/jdadm ... /index.htm:

"Candidates who apply by our regular February 1 deadline (must have taken the LSAT by the previous December to qualify) will be mailed notification by late April. Candidates may hear sooner than late April, but they will certainly hear by then.

Beyond these parameters it is not possible to predict an exact date on which a decision will be made on an application.

The Committee on Admissions recognizes that some law schools have deposit deadlines as early as April 1 and will ask a candidate for a commitment before that candidate receives a decision from NYU School of Law. Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to accelerate our process in these circumstances."
Yeah, god forbid we ask em to "accelerate" their slow asses when we have been waiting for 5 months. I can understand that applying for some kid who sent in his app right before the deadline and still wants to have a decision before deposit day, but not for those of us who applied early.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:20 pm

NYU, you're ridiculous. 23 weeks since I applied. really? REALLY?! We're almost to the half year point. Ridiculous.

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:21 pm

dakatz wrote:Yeah, god forbid we ask em to "accelerate" their slow asses when we have been waiting for 5 months. I can understand that applying for some kid who sent in his app right before the deadline and still wants to have a decision before deposit day, but not for those of us who applied early.
I'm anxious too, but from what I understand, they have a very small admissions office and they're just overwhelmed with paperwork. Their site also states that the admissions process isn't truly rolling, i.e. they compare applicants down to the very end (LSN does seem to indicate, however, that by the second week of April this process is complete and it's WL-only from that point).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:27 pm

starsong wrote:
dakatz wrote:Yeah, god forbid we ask em to "accelerate" their slow asses when we have been waiting for 5 months. I can understand that applying for some kid who sent in his app right before the deadline and still wants to have a decision before deposit day, but not for those of us who applied early.
I'm anxious too, but from what I understand, they have a very small admissions office and they're just overwhelmed with paperwork. Their site also states that the admissions process isn't truly rolling, i.e. they compare applicants down to the very end (LSN does seem to indicate, however, that by the second week of April this process is complete and it's WL-only from that point).
Every school seems to spew the same thing about having such a small admissions office and that they are so overwhelmed. You would think that, with hundreds of students paying obscenely high tuition, they could hire an extra few people to make the process a little easier for both us and them.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:40 pm

dakatz wrote:
starsong wrote:
Every school seems to spew the same thing about having such a small admissions office and that they are so overwhelmed. You would think that, with hundreds of students paying obscenely high tuition, they could hire an extra few people to make the process a little easier for both us and them.
Why? They don't need to serve you until you are admitted (and enroll). I'm sure people who are paying the high tuition get great service. :wink:

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:43 pm

r6_philly wrote:
dakatz wrote:
starsong wrote:
Why? They don't need to serve you until you are admitted (and enroll). I'm sure people who are paying the high tuition get great service. :wink:
Because admissions are the line-level "salespeople". To applicants, they are the face of the school, and the ones they deal with. Any business enterprise knows how important sales and marketing is, even if your product's demand is inherent and will never subside. It doesn't mean that you only treat them well once they are customers. A good business provides top service throughout.

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:48 pm

dakatz wrote:Because admissions are the line-level "salespeople". To applicants, they are the face of the school, and the ones they deal with. Any business enterprise knows how important sales and marketing is, even if your product's demand is inherent and will never subside. It doesn't mean that you only treat them well once they are customers. A good business provides top service throughout.
Ahh, the hard reality is that they get back quickly to the applicants they like. We're just not in that group. They're not trying to impress us because, sadly, they don't care that much about us...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:49 pm

starsong wrote:
dakatz wrote:Because admissions are the line-level "salespeople". To applicants, they are the face of the school, and the ones they deal with. Any business enterprise knows how important sales and marketing is, even if your product's demand is inherent and will never subside. It doesn't mean that you only treat them well once they are customers. A good business provides top service throughout.
Ahh, the hard reality is that they get back quickly to the applicants they like. We're just not in that group. They're not trying to impress us because, sadly, they don't care that much about us...
but my mom told me I was special........

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:51 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
starsong wrote:
This guy may be able to help:
--LinkRemoved--

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:58 pm

starsong wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
starsong wrote:
This guy may be able to help:
--LinkRemoved--
cool article! i wonder if i'll return to my psych roots after biglaw...

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:03 pm

hannah87 wrote:cool article! i wonder if i'll return to my psych roots after biglaw...
This quote keeps ringing in my head:
Will Meyerhofer wrote: I’d tell them to maintain a “self boundary” - a sort of emotional insulation from the toxic environment of [strike]law firms[/strike] the application process.
Easier said than done, unfortunately...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tautology

Bronze

Post by Tautology » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:04 pm

In 2 weeks ago, but just created an account here yesterday. I, oddly, never got an email saying my app was complete. Anyway, I'm still really excited about this one, I thought it was a reach for me. Best of luck to those still waiting.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:05 pm

starsong wrote:
That's what I was hinting at ... they focus their energy and marketing on people who would most likely progress into the high tuition paying students in the fall. For the other 80% of applicants they don't have any obligation (or inclination) to provide any extra impressive service to.

I know my 2 decisions so far has come MUCH quicker than what I expected. Some people have been waiting for months to hear back at other schools and I received 1 in 3 days and 1 in 10 days (this is in March).They evidently choose the level of service they provide base on the applicant. You shouldn't take the fact that you haven't heard back for so long as indication that service is bad to all applicants.

nax425

Bronze

Post by nax425 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:25 pm

r6_philly wrote:
starsong wrote:
That's what I was hinting at ... they focus their energy and marketing on people who would most likely progress into the high tuition paying students in the fall. For the other 80% of applicants they don't have any obligation (or inclination) to provide any extra impressive service to.

I know my 2 decisions so far has come MUCH quicker than what I expected. Some people have been waiting for months to hear back at other schools and I received 1 in 3 days and 1 in 10 days (this is in March).They evidently choose the level of service they provide base on the applicant. You shouldn't take the fact that you haven't heard back for so long as indication that service is bad to all applicants.
What perplexes me is, that for such a numbers-loving school (particularly LSAT loving), there are lots of people who were quickly accepted with similar and/or less impressive numbers than some of those that have been waiting for months. I have to wonder if the softs really matter that much (and which ones), or...more specifically, what's making the difference between the one who gets rejected/held/whatever and the one who gets admitted within two weeks (assuming both have the same numbers). There are plenty of exmaples on the LSN board. This is my main frustration. A lot of us don't seem like total reaches compared to the others already accepted (and many of whom were accepted quickly). So why are we waiting?

Bottom line, it makes me nervous that I really screwed something up. And I want to know NOW.

Stuck waiting over the wkd it appears.

yeff

Bronze

Post by yeff » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:51 pm

Late applicant - transmitted in late January. Happily, less than six weeks after my transmission via LSAC, my acceptance was postmarked! Got it earlier this week. 8)

I sure had no idea to be expecting anything though.

My question is - I got the thin purple envelope. Folks admitted earlier in the cycle - should I expect any good stuff in the mail, or rely on the admitted students website for everything?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CrimsonCal

Bronze

Post by CrimsonCal » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:31 pm

It just seems strange that they can't come up with a rejection / waitlist answer sooner...
admittedly the response time for auto-admits is quite short, but isn't it equally easy to be as prompt with those they have NO interest in?

I guess they're just on the fence with those of us still waiting

CrimsonCal

Bronze

Post by CrimsonCal » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:31 pm

btw, does anyone have any numbers for how many people they may take at the end of the month / beginning of April in terms of how full their class is as of now?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:58 pm

nax425 wrote:
What perplexes me is, that for such a numbers-loving school (particularly LSAT loving), there are lots of people who were quickly accepted with similar and/or less impressive numbers than some of those that have been waiting for months. I have to wonder if the softs really matter that much (and which ones), or...more specifically, what's making the difference between the one who gets rejected/held/whatever and the one who gets admitted within two weeks (assuming both have the same numbers). There are plenty of exmaples on the LSN board. This is my main frustration. A lot of us don't seem like total reaches compared to the others already accepted (and many of whom were accepted quickly). So why are we waiting?

Bottom line, it makes me nervous that I really screwed something up. And I want to know NOW.

Stuck waiting over the wkd it appears.
I understand, trust me, I don't have much patience when it comes to things I want, so this is torture. However, you can't really compare yourself to other people with the same numbers because they obviously look at more than numbers. I don't know what get some people's file looked faster, but the fact is their files do get looked at faster. There could be so many possible reasons to speculate, you will drive yourself crazy. I guess you will have to figure that you will eventually hear something. At least it is not open ended. Myself on the other hand, expect WL everywhere and have to go through this all over again in Sept. I hope I hear back sooner next time but I could be complaining just like you next year after 6 months of no decision. Good luck and hear soon!

nax425

Bronze

Post by nax425 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:07 pm

CrimsonCal wrote:btw, does anyone have any numbers for how many people they may take at the end of the month / beginning of April in terms of how full their class is as of now?
no idea. i don't think they even know at this point. they have a lot of scholarship peeps in limbo. but i would guess a decent amount over the next couple of weeks based on years previous.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:12 pm

CrimsonCal wrote:It just seems strange that they can't come up with a rejection / waitlist answer sooner...
admittedly the response time for auto-admits is quite short, but isn't it equally easy to be as prompt with those they have NO interest in?

I guess they're just on the fence with those of us still waiting
According to LSN, they promptly rejected quite a few people. Typically the April decisions are admit or WL (usually the latter). Like you said, they're apparently still on the fence...

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:07 pm

Just withdrew after being admitted back on Dec. 28. I was not offered a merit scholarship, nor was I selected as a finalist for the law scholars program to which I applied. I'm a born-and-bred New Yorker and I love The City, but I will not be going back next year. Anyway, I hope my spot goes to one of you. Good luck to those still waiting.

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:22 pm

crackberry wrote:Just withdrew after being admitted back on Dec. 28. I was not offered a merit scholarship, nor was I selected as a finalist for the law scholars program to which I applied. I'm a born-and-bred New Yorker and I love The City, but I will not be going back next year. Anyway, I hope my spot goes to one of you. Good luck to those still waiting.
thanks for the heads-up. congrats on stanford!!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:02 pm

yeff wrote:Late applicant - transmitted in late January. Happily, less than six weeks after my transmission via LSAC, my acceptance was postmarked! Got it earlier this week. 8)

I sure had no idea to be expecting anything though.

My question is - I got the thin purple envelope. Folks admitted earlier in the cycle - should I expect any good stuff in the mail, or rely on the admitted students website for everything?
They'll send you a lot of information in the upcoming weeks, but it takes so long that you might as well just explore the website.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”