NYU 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TheWire

Bronze

Re: NYU 2010

Post by TheWire » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:32 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
boilercat wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:
boilercat wrote:What did you guys do for your NYU PS? Since they don't specify a length I'm thinking of doing what I did for Berkeley... my normal 2-page PS + why NYU on the next 2 pages...

Thoughts?

They allow 4 pages? I just submitted the same 2 page PS.

Well, they leave the length entirely up to you.

I'm only thinking about adding the other 2 pages because I'm very borderline numbers-wise for NYU - 3.6/171 means I'm not very confident.
In my opinion, having a four page PS is giving them a reason to deny you, not a reason to accept.
+1 NYU is pretty numbers based, I would be conservative with such a school (as opposed to the holistic approach supposedly taken by Berk.)

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:46 pm

Ok, then I was misinformed because I always thought NYU was one of the schools whose claims of a holistic approach weren't BS.

Time to submit, then. Wish me luck. :mrgreen: (I think I'm headed for WL hell, if that)

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:48 pm

Submitted 10/17, haven't heard since completion - 3.94/168 URM - more info on LSN. Submitted a DS as well as scholarship essay. It's one of my top choices, so I'm getting a bit concerned.
Last edited by Core on Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:49 pm

wtf, nyu. no letter today either. i would stop looking entirely if i didnt love you so much it hurt my face.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:02 pm

[/quote] I'm only thinking about adding the other 2 pages because I'm very borderline numbers-wise for NYU - 3.6/171 means I'm not very confident.[/quote]

Dude, you are pretty much me. I only did a 2 page PS with two short addenda. Now have a fat purple envelope sitting on my desk at home. Don't sell yourself short. Channel all the energies that you expend on self-loathing into writhing a kickass personal statement that touches on NYU's soft spot of diversity/internationalism. Honestly, I am 99% sure that my two page PS was what made the difference. Honestly, soft factors are bullshit except in your very unique case.

Anyways, enough about you, lets talk about me :D .
TheWire wrote:
mockstar wrote:I got the purple envelope with the 12/7 batch but only the letter and the coming/not coming sheet. I still haven't received anything else (although I suppose something could be waiting for me at school when I get back from break). How long did it take everybody else to get any additional information? Has anybody heard anything about ASD?
I received a copy of a campus magazine about a week following the arrival of my purple envelope. No word on ASD yet though. I'm sure more information will me coming in the near future...
+1

Things I learned

*Epstein is probably teaching next year (though no one seems to know quite what). Yes, I'm obsessed, so sue me (er, not that I want a bunch of NYU educated lawyers suing my ass).

*NYU has the best Criminal Law program in the country. Did not know this and this is awesome as white collar crim def is definitely one of the 3 or 4 specialties that I most have my eye on.

I need to get back to reading the magazine they sent me now but congrats to everyone who got in this round. Does us getting our package at the same time as an acceptance wave mean that we will get zee viewbook when the next wave of acceptances goes out? Only time will tell.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:31 pm

In!

Numbers on LSN.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:44 pm

Veyron wrote:
Dude, you are pretty much me. I only did a 2 page PS with two short addenda. Now have a fat purple envelope sitting on my desk at home. Don't sell yourself short. Channel all the energies that you expend on self-loathing into writhing a kickass personal statement that touches on NYU's soft spot of diversity/internationalism. Honestly, I am 99% sure that my two page PS was what made the difference. Honestly, soft factors are bullshit except in your very unique case.

Haha thanks for the vote of confidence.

If they really care about diversity/internationalism, then I should get in. Both my PS and DS involve my background (I think my race is technically underrepresented in the law but not sure) and traveling.

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:54 pm

in! (via mail) 3.7/172 submitted mid-December. So excited right now! also live in manhattan so it was probably quick to get here.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:54 pm

boilercat wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Haha thanks for the vote of confidence.

If they really care about diversity/internationalism, then I should get in. Both my PS and DS involve my background (I think my race is technically underrepresented in the law but not sure) and traveling.
I got the same types of softs (except URM) and very similar numbers and am also happy to hear that they value diversity/internationalism. Fingers crossed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:04 pm

Yah, NYU has a reputation as being very #'s driven but very =/= only.

*TBF, my softs were not good but awesome (and not in a OMG I was in this honors society and THAT honors society and president of THIS club and THAT club way either).

*TBF X2, In case you couldn't tell, Im known for my modesty.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:56 pm

julesm2200 wrote:in! (via mail) 3.7/172 submitted mid-December. So excited right now! also live in manhattan so it was probably quick to get here.

Congrats! Really happy for you

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:02 pm

I emailed them. Indeed, I am still under review despite submitting in late October. I do not mind because I would only consider going if I don't get into UVA and if it was similar in COA to Duke.

hesitantstyle

New

Post by hesitantstyle » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:35 pm

Veryon is spot-on. I also wrote a 2-page PS with two short addenda. I sent the same statement to every school, but it hit some 'cosmopolitan' notes that I suspected might appeal to NYU. Not sure if they are as numbers-driven as some people on this site believe. My 'hards' were good, not great, but I think my statement really helped me stand out among the sea of 170+'s and >3.8's.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:19 am

has anyone on the West coast gotten a letter from this batch of decisions?

straxen

Bronze

Post by straxen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:20 am

I just logged into the Admitted Students Site, seems to be working. I think this is new. Disregard if this has been brought up before.

maudlinstreet

Bronze

Post by maudlinstreet » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:24 am

straxen wrote:I just logged into the Admitted Students Site, seems to be working. I think this is new. Disregard if this has been brought up before.
weird, I keep getting an error when I try to log in. you're using https://its.law.nyu.edu/admitted/login/ ... mplate=new, right?

straxen

Bronze

Post by straxen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:26 am

maudlinstreet wrote:
straxen wrote:I just logged into the Admitted Students Site, seems to be working. I think this is new. Disregard if this has been brought up before.
weird, I keep getting an error when I try to log in. you're using https://its.law.nyu.edu/admitted/login/ ... mplate=new, right?
yep

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

maudlinstreet

Bronze

Post by maudlinstreet » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:27 am

straxen wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:
yep
well, that's wack. what all is on the website? :]

TheWire

Bronze

Post by TheWire » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:29 am

i get an error when i try to log on also...anyone else have any success?

maudlinstreet

Bronze

Post by maudlinstreet » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:30 am

TheWire wrote:i get an error when i try to log on also...anyone else have any success?
I managed to change my password from my birthdate to a new password, so SOMETHING is working in the system for me. but it won't let me log on :(

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:35 am

worked for me and I only got my letter today. Although I didnt find the site that interesting. I mean, it was fun to be able to log on, but I couldnt find THAT much useful information. I also only spent about 10 min, so take my assessment with a grain of salt.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

straxen

Bronze

Post by straxen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:36 am

I've RSVP'd for admitted students days, they've got an entire schedule on that up. There's some information on financial aid, housing, etc. but it doesn't look like it's all gone up. Still looking through everything.

mockstar

New

Post by mockstar » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:36 am

I got the big Oops! too.

maudlinstreet

Bronze

Post by maudlinstreet » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:38 am

straxen wrote:I've RSVP'd for admitted students days, they've got an entire schedule on that up. There's some information on financial aid, housing, etc. but it doesn't look like it's all gone up. Still looking through everything.
sounds cool. by info on financial aid, you just mean general info, right? not concrete numbers concerning merit aid or anything like that.

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:39 am

does anyone know when merit-aid decisions happen? The only financial aid info I found was applying for need based aid. Unless i misread something, which is entirely possible.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”