NYU 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lurk

New

Re: NYU 2010

Post by lurk » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:05 pm

Long time listener, first time caller.

I got an acceptance for regular decision today, postmarked 12/14.
So it looks like they are still rollin' out!

Good luck everyone!

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:27 pm

lurk wrote:Long time listener, first time caller.

Good luck everyone!
Congrats!! This gives me so much hope because I have been wondering where my letter is considering a decision was made on the 9th and I still don't have it. What if they were waiting till closer to XMAS to send out more acceptances even if the decision was already made. Crazy theory but I don't care because I have hope now.

Drew2010

Bronze

Post by Drew2010 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:35 pm

lurk wrote:Long time listener, first time caller.

Good luck everyone!
First, Congrats!!

Second, if this is a lie, it is one hell of a sick one...

Third, if this is true, I finally have some hope again, and for that I thank you.

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:38 pm

Drew... was your decision made on the 9th as well? If you don't know you can call and ask.

Drew2010

Bronze

Post by Drew2010 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:39 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:Drew... was your decision made on the 9th as well? If you don't know you can call and ask.
I'm not positive it was the 9th, but I'm pretty sure it was. I called on the 10th and was told it was getting mailed out soon, and that I could expect it early this week.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:41 pm

I was rejected, ladies and gentlemen. This is not a test.

Drew2010

Bronze

Post by Drew2010 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:43 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:I was rejected, ladies and gentlemen. This is not a test.
Wow, I'm sorry man that sucks...

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:43 pm

Holy crap, if you're 172/3.6 and couldn't get in ED, I might as well roll over and die now.

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:44 pm

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:45 pm

I have no idea what the hell schools are doing this cycle in terms of admitting people.

Now I'm even more afraid I'll get my Chicago rejection on Monday and you, Helm, and I will complete the CCN ED rejection trifecta. :(

Drew2010

Bronze

Post by Drew2010 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:45 pm

parker09 wrote:
Holy crap, if you're 172/3.6 and couldn't get in ED, I might as well roll over and die now.
Seriously.. all hope now lost.. fuck

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:45 pm

Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sat May 02, 2015 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:47 pm

did you have something really bad in your app? 172/3.6 ED rejected seems crazy... wtf?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rx3r

Bronze

Post by rx3r » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:47 pm

I'm so sorry.

Drew2010

Bronze

Post by Drew2010 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:48 pm

lawduder wrote:
did you have something really bad in your app? 172/3.6 ED rejected seems crazy... wtf?
I know.. what the hell?! There were significantly worse numbers already accepted...

TheWire

Bronze

Post by TheWire » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:49 pm

a lot of time, my "sorry"s are just a mere formality...however, Lieutkaffee I am SO sorry for you bro. To the point that I would give u my acceptance (if that was the decision) because I know that you want it way more than I do...not even joking...I'm really sorry but rest assured that you will be just as successful in life going to the school that you choose to attend!

R.I.P LieutKaffee (NYU promise)

If anyone has any kind words to share about this amazing TLSers enthusiasm on this forum, please share.

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:50 pm

Sorry Tom Cruise... we may be in the same boat come tomorrow. When was the letter postmarked?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:53 pm

I've already resigned myself to the fact that UVA will be my only T14 acceptance and I applied to all except YS CLS Boalt and NU. A year and a half ago I would have never believed someone if they told me a 3.6 was a low GPA... how wrong I would have been. Sry Kaffe.

rx3r

Bronze

Post by rx3r » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:00 pm

TheWire wrote:a lot of time, my "sorry"s are just a mere formality...however, Lieutkaffee I am SO sorry for you bro. To the point that I would give u my acceptance (if that was the decision) because I know that you want it way more than I do...not even joking...I'm really sorry but rest assured that you will be just as successful in life going to the school that you choose to attend!

If anyone has any kind words to share about this amazing TLSers enthusiasm on this forum, please share.
I feel personally offended that NYU did not accept him. He is a wonderful guy. No formalities in the sentiment. I don't think I could feel more hurt for him if I was his mom. Just terrible. And after Helmholtz' rejection, I just feel like the few people I follow on TLS are all getting these terrible endings to the imagined plot lines I had for their TLS characters.

I feel depressed for Kaffee, and confused as to what the hell NYU is doing over there.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:01 pm

Thanks for the support everyone. My PS was well-written, well-researched, and tailored to NYU. I doubt it was extraordinary or even stand-out, but I'm probably 99% sure it didn't get me dinged.

My LOR were both written by philosophy profs I became very close with over the last two years. I proofed both letters in front of the profs and practically started blushing; they were very complimentary.

I made a pretty big deal out of this on these boards back in October, but I kind of let it slide into the background lately; the biggest red flag on my application is almost certainly my gap in LSAT scores, from a 152 to 172. At most schools, I decided not to send an addendum. Each school had its own slightly different take on the "averaging" or "holistic" policy as explained on each school's website and FAQ. NYU was one of the "least friendly" in terms of taking the higher score, so I decided to submit a short addendum. It was something I wrestled with for quite some time.

I must conclude that either the gap itself was too much for them to stomach (I know there have been some retakers in this thread with 6- and 8-point gaps which seemed to indicate NYU is taking the highest) or the addendum turned them off.

Note that I have now received two decisions this cycle, both of which have been "surprising" to me and seem to reflect poorly on some aspect of my application beyond the 172/3.62. I was waitlisted at Duke via Priority Track.

So what now? So far I've only applied to 8 of the 12-13 schools I planned on. Cornell was slow on activating my CRS waiver, and I was slow on finishing my Penn supplemental essay. I decided I could afford to wait until after NYU's decision to round out my cycle if needed. Time to hit up Cornell, Penn, and a few more sub-14 safeties. Wish me luck, everyone.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:05 pm

rx3r wrote:
TheWire wrote:a lot of time, my "sorry"s are just a mere formality...however, Lieutkaffee I am SO sorry for you bro. To the point that I would give u my acceptance (if that was the decision) because I know that you want it way more than I do...not even joking...I'm really sorry but rest assured that you will be just as successful in life going to the school that you choose to attend!

I feel personally offended that NYU did not accept him. He is a wonderful guy. No formalities in the sentiment. I don't think I could feel more hurt for him if I was his mom. Just terrible. And after Helmholtz' rejection, I just feel like the few people I follow on TLS are all getting these terrible endings to the imagined plot lines I had for their TLS characters.

I feel depressed for Kaffee, and confused as to what the hell NYU is doing over there.
You're very kind. I'm glad your ED was more successful than mine. Now, in one of the great all-time law school application cycle ironies, maybe I'll be admitted RD at CLS and we'll be classmates. Surely something is bound to go my way.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rx3r

Bronze

Post by rx3r » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:06 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:
You're very kind. I'm glad your ED was more successful than mine. Now, in one of the great all-time law school application cycle ironies, maybe I'll be admitted RD at CLS and we'll be classmates. Surely something is bound to go my way.
I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:09 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:Thanks for the support everyone. My PS was well-written, well-researched, and tailored to NYU. I doubt it was extraordinary or even stand-out, but I'm probably 99% sure it didn't get me dinged.

My LOR were both written by philosophy profs I became very close with over the last two years. I proofed both letters in front of the profs and practically started blushing; they were very complimentary.

I made a pretty big deal out of this on these boards back in October, but I kind of let it slide into the background lately; the biggest red flag on my application is almost certainly my gap in LSAT scores, from a 152 to 172. At most schools, I decided not to send an addendum. Each school had its own slightly different take on the "averaging" or "holistic" policy as explained on each school's website and FAQ. NYU was one of the "least friendly" in terms of taking the higher score, so I decided to submit a short addendum. It was something I wrestled with for quite some time.

I must conclude that either the gap itself was too much for them to stomach (I know there have been some retakers in this thread with 6- and 8-point gaps which seemed to indicate NYU is taking the highest) or the addendum turned them off.

Note that I have now received two decisions this cycle, both of which have been "surprising" to me and seem to reflect poorly on some aspect of my application beyond the 172/3.62. I was waitlisted at Duke via Priority Track.

So what now? So far I've only applied to 8 of the 12-13 schools I planned on. Cornell was slow on activating my CRS waiver, and I was slow on finishing my Penn supplemental essay. I decided I could afford to wait until after NYU's decision to round out my cycle if needed. Time to hit up Cornell, Penn, and a few more sub-14 safeties. Wish me luck, everyone.
Wow. Anybody else starting to think there's a little bit of "play hard-to-get" psychology going on here? Like when someone you're attracted to seems a little too interested?

You couldn't find people who wanted it more than Kaffee or Helm, and yet the schools flat-out rejects both applicants after going through all of this work to demonstrate how much they wanted it. Ridiculous.

Anyhow, best of luck to you Lt. Kaffee.
Last edited by AngryAvocado on Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dms87

Bronze

Post by dms87 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:11 pm

:cry:

Kaffee, really really sorry. I hope everything else turns out well for you this cycle. Good luck with everything.

rx3r

Bronze

Post by rx3r » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:13 pm

AngryAvocado wrote: You couldn't find people who wanted it more than Kaffee or Helm, and yet the schools flat-out rejects both applicants after going through all of this work to demonstrate how much they wanted it. Ridiculous.
TLS curse?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”