Columbia 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Helmholtz

Gold

Re: Columbia 2010

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:03 pm

puppins wrote:
Tofu wrote: oh, i was just thinking that the adcomm would prefer to have a higher index, with exceptions being that the adcomm sees some people it really likes

so then the situation would be that people with higher #s are just applying RD because they want a chance at HYS, while those with slightly lower #s are applying ED

though.... i could be totally wrong. i have no idea what the adcomm is thinking!
I generally wonder what schools get out of ED, other then a (small) impact on yield.
Getting people who really, really want to go to the school? Making sure they don't have time to compare possible scholarship offers at lower schools or similar offers from peer schools? Getting full tuition out of them?

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:04 pm

Helmholtz wrote: Getting people who really, really want to go to the school? Making sure they don't have time to compare possible scholarship offers at lower schools or similar offers from peer schools? Getting full tuition out of them?
But RD people have to pay full tuition, and if a school doesn't want you enough, they don't have to play ball re: scholarship offers from peers. There never seems to be a shortage of people willing to pay full tuition at CLS. I guess people who really want to go is valuable, though obviously some people treat ED like a business decision (see: Mich/Penn dude).

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:05 pm

puppins wrote:
Helmholtz wrote: Getting people who really, really want to go to the school? Making sure they don't have time to compare possible scholarship offers at lower schools or similar offers from peer schools? Getting full tuition out of them?
But RD people have to pay full tuition, and if a school doesn't want you enough, they don't have to play ball re: scholarship offers from peers. There never seems to be a shortage of people willing to pay full tuition at CLS.
maybe its just a time thing. they save time bartering and worrying by locking people up earlier on every year.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:12 pm

puppins wrote:
But RD people have to pay full tuition, and if a school doesn't want you enough, they don't have to play ball re: scholarship offers from peers. There never seems to be a shortage of people willing to pay full tuition at CLS. I guess people who really want to go is valuable, though obviously some people treat ED like a business decision (see: Mich/Penn dude).
If somebody has a 174/3.6, they might pull in some decent money from MVP or maybe a small amount of money at NYU, which could dissuade them from CLS, yet CLS might not be concerned enough to offer scholarship money to the applicant. They like the candidate, just not that much. With ED, the people never get the time to compare money offers, thereby giving CLS some candidates they might want, but not want enough to play ball re: scholarship offers.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:14 pm

re: ED and $$$

When schools say ED applicants are still considered for merit scholarships, that's pretty much bs, yes?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:15 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:re: ED and $$$

When schools say ED applicants are still considered for merit scholarships, that's pretty much bs, yes?
Pretty much, yeah, although it's probably a large function of almost solely borderline/reach people applying ED. It's not like somebody with the possibility of a full ride at CLS is going to be applying ED.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

Pretty much, yeah, although it's probably a large function of almost solely borderline/reach people applying ED. It's not like somebody with the possibility of a full ride at CLS is going to be applying ED.
I'm asking because I applied ED to NYU with median-splitting numbers that may have enabled a little bit of haggling room had I applied RD and gotten decent offers from, say, Penn, Michigan, or Northwestern.

Now I'm in the wrong thread...

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:18 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

I'm asking because I applied ED to NYU with median-splitting numbers that may have enabled a little bit of haggling room had I applied RD and gotten decent offers from, say, Penn, Michigan, or Northwestern.

Now I'm in the wrong thread...
All I can say is that they have absolutely zero incentive to try to win you over with scholarship money, but there are those that they do have the incentive to do that with, so it seems a little silly to funnel money away from them when they already have you locked up.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:22 pm

Helmholtz wrote: All I can say is that they have absolutely zero incentive to try to win you over with scholarship money, but there are those that they do have the incentive to do that with, so it seems a little silly to funnel money away from them when they already have you locked up.
Sounds about right. The logic seems clear. It's still tempting to take them a little bit at their word when they say ED applicants are still considered. Either that, or they write that for the sole purpose of luring people who are on the ED fence...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:26 pm

Helmholtz wrote: If somebody has a 174/3.6, they might pull in some decent money from MVP or maybe a small amount of money at NYU, which could dissuade them from CLS, yet CLS might not be concerned enough to offer scholarship money to the applicant. They like the candidate, just not that much. With ED, the people never get the time to compare money offers, thereby giving CLS some candidates they might want, but not want enough to play ball re: scholarship offers.
That makes sense to me. Ugh. I kinda wish I was in a position to ED somewhere. I would love to stop all of this worrying.

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:27 pm

Yep, I agree with most of what has been said re: ED. I think CLS nabs quite a few people that would have gone elsewhere (if not HYS, then somewhere in CCNMVP with $$). Just looking at some of the numbers this year, CLS would have probably tossed money at them just to keep them out of HLS/SLS.

I also think we tend to overestimate how knowledgeable people are about their odds. We don't know the numbers of non-TLS/LSN admits, but I wouldn't be at all shocked if they were some numbers in there that probably would have gotten them in the door with $$ at CLS.

xcountryjunkie

Bronze

Post by xcountryjunkie » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:56 pm

irie wrote:
xcountryjunkie wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
xcountryjunkie wrote:Quick question: Does anybody know how much or little CLS emphasizes legacy? My father went there, so I'm trying to gauge if I'll get any real boost. Otherwise, I don't expect to be too competitive (LSAT: 169, LSDAS GPA: 3.68, RD, non-URM).
Has your father given tons of money to the school?

Really, I don't see it making an impact at all.
Nope, hence the problem :wink:
just to clarify, he went to the law school right? not undergrad? if so it might make a marginal difference, but you'd have to be very borderline.
yes, the law school. ... Perhaps it'll get me a sympathy WL instead of rejection

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:35 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:Yep, I agree with most of what has been said re: ED. I think CLS nabs quite a few people that would have gone elsewhere (if not HYS, then somewhere in CCNMVP with $$). Just looking at some of the numbers this year, CLS would have probably tossed money at them just to keep them out of HLS/SLS.
Blatant anti-Berkeley trolling.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:38 pm

crackberry wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:Yep, I agree with most of what has been said re: ED. I think CLS nabs quite a few people that would have gone elsewhere (if not HYS, then somewhere in CCNMVP with $$). Just looking at some of the numbers this year, CLS would have probably tossed money at them just to keep them out of HLS/SLS.
And I woulda gotten away with it too, if it weren't for that meddling crackberry!

jk wubs u berkwey

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:51 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
crackberry wrote:
And I woulda gotten away with it too, if it weren't for that meddling crackberry!

jk wubs u berkwey
Was this a Scooby-Doo reference?

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:04 pm

crackberry wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:
crackberry wrote:

jk wubs u berkwey
Was this a Scooby-Doo reference?
Clearly, I've lost my sanity.

hopefullaw27

Bronze

Post by hopefullaw27 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:26 pm

soo is the general consensus now that most of the ED acceptances have gone out? there might be a few left but will be sprinkled in with the deferrals/rejections?

:(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:28 pm

hopefullaw27 wrote:soo is the general consensus now that most of the ED acceptances have gone out? there might be a few left but will be sprinkled in with the deferrals/rejections?

I think that's a pretty safe assumption.

rx3r

Bronze

Post by rx3r » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:29 pm

Why did they go out so early this year?

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:30 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
hopefullaw27 wrote:soo is the general consensus now that most of the ED acceptances have gone out? there might be a few left but will be sprinkled in with the deferrals/rejections?

I think that's a pretty safe assumption.
Eek, hope not man.

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:31 pm

i dont know to what extent information fromn past years is applicable given the surge of ed applicants cls probably had.

lets give it another week

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rx3r

Bronze

Post by rx3r » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:37 pm

Gah there are too many Tom Cruises floating around here!

SanBun

Silver

Post by SanBun » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:06 am

question to those of you who applied ED:
Columbia only gives a list of accepted ED students to other schools, they don't disclose all ED applicants, right? I remember that's what it said on their ED contract. I was just wondering that if you apply ED to a school, do other schools know and are therefore hesitant to admit you early in the cycle? Pretty sure that Columbia would only disclose your name one you're in, but not before/ as you're being reviewed
Just wondering...

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:08 am

SanBun wrote:question to those of you who applied ED:
Columbia only gives a list of accepted ED students to other schools, they don't disclose all ED applicants, right? I remember that's what it said on their ED contract. I was just wondering that if you apply ED to a school, do other schools know and are therefore hesitant to admit you early in the cycle? Pretty sure that Columbia would only disclose your name one you're in, but not before/ as you're being reviewed
Just wondering...
Other schools only know after you've been accepted ED.

SanBun

Silver

Post by SanBun » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:09 am

Helmholtz wrote:
SanBun wrote:question to those of you who applied ED:
Just wondering...
Other schools only know after you've been accepted ED.
Thanks Helm! I just had a completely irrational and unwarranted freak-out moment. Guess the wait for Gtown is driving me crazy lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”