Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:56 pm

M51 wrote:Thx Helmholtz for the shoutout and digging up the info. So far, this year's ED standards looks a bit tougher than last year's from that list (no 4.2s yet? rough.), but it's early yet. CLS usually accepts ED ppl for another week at least.

CLS ad-com is getting together a small group of student 'ambassadors' to help out w/ stuff and we have our first lunch next week. I'll see if they tell us anything useful, even if its just a general sense of how the trends in this cycle's looking so far.

And to the guy ~20 posts up, CLS sometimes requests additional information or explanations of stuff about your application. Most of the time, such requests are followed by an admit (pure anecdotal ev, but I would take it as a good sign if they're requesting more info). I've yet to figure out why they actually do this, esp for ED, but it's fairly common at CLS and they're doing more and more of this each cycle.

Good luck to everyone! Hope to see some of you here next year. :D


Thanks for that, sir, you are a valuable asset to all things Columbia on this board.

User avatar
gahthelaw
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby gahthelaw » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:56 pm

puppins wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
puppins wrote:
crackberry wrote:I didn't apply to Penn. NYU, Chicago or UVA?

hmmmm. I applied to those, but don't really feel like obsessing over NYU or Chicago. Maybe UVA is the right choice. Oh, but Chicago was talking about gossip girl for a while? that was nice.


yea -- we should go back to that.


we could bring the, "which law school would characters from X show go to" discussion here, though. Any ideas for the show?


hmm...30 rock?

jenna = fordham but totally bitter about it

kenneth = i'm torn... either harvard and doesn't quite understand what it means, or paying sticker at cardozo or NYLS

User avatar
rx3r
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby rx3r » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:57 pm

I didn't count either of those. I'm assuming they are fake as well.


Whoops, must have missed some people on TLS.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:58 pm

rx3r wrote:
I didn't count either of those. I'm assuming they are fake as well.


Whoops, must have missed some people on TLS.


I think I meant "LSN" instead of "TLS" on that original post.

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby puppleberry finn » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:01 pm

gahthelaw wrote:hmm...30 rock?

jenna = fordham but totally bitter about it

kenneth = i'm torn... either harvard and doesn't quite understand what it means, or paying sticker at cardozo or NYLS


I think Kenneth should be @ Notre Dame or Pepperdine.

Jenna @ Fordham and constantly saying that she COULD have gone to NYU is prob. ideal.

Liz @ Cornell, and everyone dismisses her because it's not a "real" ivy

Jack @ Yale; Liz visits and is completely blown away by the campus, which btw has secret rooms and butlers.

User avatar
ClemCarter
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:09 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby ClemCarter » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:03 pm

puppins wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:hmm...30 rock?

jenna = fordham but totally bitter about it

kenneth = i'm torn... either harvard and doesn't quite understand what it means, or paying sticker at cardozo or NYLS


I think Kenneth should be @ Notre Dame or Pepperdine.

Jenna @ Fordham and constantly saying that she COULD have gone to NYU is prob. ideal.

Liz @ Cornell, and everyone dismisses her because it's not a "real" ivy

Jack @ Yale; Liz visits and is completely blown away by the campus, which btw has secret rooms and butlers.



Kenneth- def Pepperdine. Liz- Chicago. AND lives in Hyde Park.

Puppins! Come back to the U of C/GG thread.

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby AngryAvocado » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:07 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
IMO, that's unlikely, but I do think they've let in the bulk of the ED people. We might see a trickling over the next week or so, due to them figuring out more borderline cases.


I have a feeling we've seen right around half of the ED acceptances. I think for the top schools, LSN/TLS represents a good bit more than 10-15% of the total application pool. Just think about all the people that got JR2s recently...if that was only ~1/10 of Harvard's incoming class, Harvard would have already accepted like 250-300 students. Doubtful.

That, and I think we're going to see a slight boost in the number of EDers Columbia takes just due to the bump in applicants. Columbia also has a bigger class and an easier time predicting RD yield than places like Cornell, so I don't think they'll be quite as cautious accepting people early.

I do think there will be a lot more deferrals this year, though. :(

Edit: Just counted. Nearly 50 acceptances for HLS already on LSN alone, so ~1/10 the class would mean ~500 accepted (well over half the average total number of acceptances per year). Given that, I don't think it's unreasonable to think TLS/LSN represents 30+% of the top school applicants.
Last edited by AngryAvocado on Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby puppleberry finn » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:08 pm

ClemCarter wrote:Kenneth- def Pepperdine. Liz- Chicago. AND lives in Hyde Park.

Puppins! Come back to the U of C/GG thread.



OMG Liz @ Chicago is PERFECT.

User avatar
gahthelaw
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby gahthelaw » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:09 pm

puppins wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:hmm...30 rock?

jenna = fordham but totally bitter about it

kenneth = i'm torn... either harvard and doesn't quite understand what it means, or paying sticker at cardozo or NYLS


I think Kenneth should be @ Notre Dame or Pepperdine.

Jenna @ Fordham and constantly saying that she COULD have gone to NYU is prob. ideal.

Liz @ Cornell, and everyone dismisses her because it's not a "real" ivy

Jack @ Yale; Liz visits and is completely blown away by the campus, which btw has secret rooms and butlers.


ooooo pepperdine IS good for kenneth. awwww kenneth.

hopefullaw27
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby hopefullaw27 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:11 pm

does anyone know columbia's rough breakdown for ED rejections vs. deferrals? i'd like to have the chance to update my LSDAS gpa when my 1st semester grades come out...but that would only work if deferred..

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:12 pm

hopefullaw27 wrote:does anyone know columbia's rough breakdown for ED rejections vs. deferrals? i'd like to have the chance to update my LSDAS gpa when my 1st semester grades come out...but that would only work if deferred..


There's always a chance that you'll get a transcript update request. Judging by the past, though, an ED deferral into the RD pool might as well be a rejection.

hopefullaw27
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby hopefullaw27 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:14 pm

boooo...anyways, got this from georgetown today:

"We are currently up 10% in
applications for the second year in a row..."

i can only imagine that the rest of the t14 are experiencing similar increases...

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby puppleberry finn » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:15 pm

gahthelaw wrote:ooooo pepperdine IS good for kenneth. awwww kenneth.


Tracy Jordon? My first inclination is USC

User avatar
gahthelaw
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby gahthelaw » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:17 pm

puppins wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:ooooo pepperdine IS good for kenneth. awwww kenneth.


Tracy Jordon? My first inclination is USC


definitely someplace warm and sunny, with a football program. Florida State?

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby puppleberry finn » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:17 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
puppins wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:ooooo pepperdine IS good for kenneth. awwww kenneth.


Tracy Jordon? My first inclination is USC


definitely someplace warm and sunny, with a football program. Florida State?


UF!

User avatar
Whats an URM?
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:59 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Whats an URM? » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:19 pm

puppins wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:ooooo pepperdine IS good for kenneth. awwww kenneth.


Tracy Jordon? My first inclination is USC



--ImageRemoved--

Definitely USC.

User avatar
gahthelaw
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby gahthelaw » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:20 pm

puppins wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
puppins wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:ooooo pepperdine IS good for kenneth. awwww kenneth.


Tracy Jordon? My first inclination is USC


definitely someplace warm and sunny, with a football program. Florida State?


UF!


YES THAT ONE!

User avatar
ClemCarter
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:09 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby ClemCarter » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:21 pm

Whats an URM? wrote:
puppins wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:ooooo pepperdine IS good for kenneth. awwww kenneth.


Tracy Jordon? My first inclination is USC



--ImageRemoved--

Definitely USC.



What was the thing a couple weeks ago about how orange and black decorations=either it's Halloween or Princeton Parents' Weekend? Classic.

User avatar
violaboy
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby violaboy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:46 pm

There are some RD admissions up on LSN. And at least one is legit because I know him.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:47 pm

violaboy wrote:There are some RD admissions up on LSN. And at least one is legit because I know him.


Which profile do you know is real?

User avatar
violaboy
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby violaboy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:48 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
violaboy wrote:There are some RD admissions up on LSN. And at least one is legit because I know him.


Which profile do you know is real?


Thales

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:49 pm

violaboy wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
violaboy wrote:There are some RD admissions up on LSN. And at least one is legit because I know him.


Which profile do you know is real?


Thales


That's shocking they would be already pulling in RD people.

User avatar
violaboy
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby violaboy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:51 pm

Yeah, that's what he said too. He was really surprised. I'm in the back of the pack because it took my ugrad so long to send a Dean's Certification. I'll probably hear back in February.

User avatar
Lieut Kaffee
Posts: 774
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:01 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:56 pm

violaboy wrote:Yeah, that's what he said too. He was really surprised. I'm in the back of the pack because it took my ugrad so long to send a Dean's Certification. I'll probably hear back in February.


Huh? Dean's Cert is not required... what am I missing?

hopefullaw27
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby hopefullaw27 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:57 pm

he probably had some disciplinary action. dean's cert. not necessary for applicant who didn't have any anomalies




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”