Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
GlobeTrotter

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby GlobeTrotter » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:57 pm

Eh, let's see what happens when they get back from lunch around 2-230

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:16 pm

parker09 wrote:
fidesverita wrote:Their index sucks. They have such a heavy bias towards a test in comparison to a GPA that's been earned over the course of four years. I would think that the classes you've taken, your performance, your school name, etc. would be a better indicator of your ability as a student and skill set than a standardized test.

I believe the key word there is "standardized," which is what quality/difficulty of classes and quality/difficulty of undergrad school are not...

And I'm saying this as someone with a mediocre LSAT, pretty good GPA, and prestigious undergrad school, so my bias would be to agree with what you're saying.

I agree that quality of UG should not be much of a factor in LS admissions. The best schools often are the ones with the most rampant grade inflation, and I hesitate to think I could've gotten the GPA I got at a Top 5 UG at a state school with much more anonymity and much larger classes.

As far as LSAT v. GPA, what I've heard is that the LSAT is the most reliable indicator of your success in your first year of law school. 2L and 3L years are better predicted by your 1L success, so I suppose LSAT score in a way is the best predictor of your overall LS success. That said, I've also heard that UGPA is the best predictor of your likelihood of making partner, given its reflection of your work ethic.

etlien

Postby etlien » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:26 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
Kakarot wrote:So wrong... Just so wrong. Me being poor in high school then going to a cheap school is not an indication of my intelligence or my ability.

no it's not

LSAT on the other hand is the great equator. If you go to IVY league and get below 170 and I go to a state college or below and get above a 175 obviously adcomms can see who is more capable.

likewise, no....if below a 170 means, like, 162 versus 175, then yeah, you are more capable, but if it is 169 or 167 versus 175, i don't think it is so obvious. we all know from our practice exams that scores can vary a lot from test to test. mine varied from 166 to 180, and any of those could have happened on test day, mostly depending on luck and circumstance.

because of the 95% confidence interval of three points in either direction, it is likely that your 175 indicates a true average ability greater than someone with a 170, but would you really say that it is "obvious" you are more capable than that person, based on just that information?

And something tells me if fidesverita wants the name of their UG to be an important admissions factor, they probably weren't complaining in high school about the weight that standardized tests were given in the UG admissions process.

standardized tests are used in a more reaosnable manner in college admissions (at top schools), in my opinion. they are used more as a necessary but not sufficient variable - one has to have a score that indicates an ability to do the work to get a further look, but no one is a shoo-in based on having perfect SAT scores. the higher the SAT, the greater the likelihood that someone will get in (generally) but it is hard to tell whether that is bc people with the highest SATs have more accomplishments, etc or whether it is due to the SAT itself, and we've all heard how many 800s the elite schools turn down....

+1. Law school admissions is a much more numbers driven game than UG admissions. UG admissions definitely takes a more holistic approach, but part of it is probably due to the fact that law school and UG are completely different. I mean one you're choosing a couple hundred people who all pretty much all want to do the same thing when they graduate. The other, you're choosing a couple thousand people who will be doing very different things during their time at the school and their time after.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:29 pm

man, you guys are like a day and a half behind the GULC thread on this discussion.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:31 pm

puppins wrote:man, you guys are like a day and a half behind the GULC thread on this discussion.

That thread is too long to warrant my interest. Plus I've already gotten in and know there won't be any scholarship info coming out soon so I can't be bothered to troll through it.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:32 pm

crackberry wrote:
puppins wrote:man, you guys are like a day and a half behind the GULC thread on this discussion.

That thread is too long to warrant my interest. Plus I've already gotten in and know there won't be any scholarship info coming out soon so I can't be bothered to troll through it.

I mostly stopped trolling, I just check it sometimes to see what is up with veritas' app and some of my other status twins from other threads. But then they got really, really into this blind person and now it's sort of a weird thread. I am slowly losing interest.

I am trying to ignore harvard's thread. wanna hang out somewhere more neutral like penn?

rrd8823

Postby rrd8823 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:08 pm

waiting sucks

bluejayk

Postby bluejayk » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:27 pm

baff

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:30 pm

puppins wrote:
crackberry wrote:

I mostly stopped trolling, I just check it sometimes to see what is up with veritas' app and some of my other status twins from other threads. But then they got really, really into this blind person and now it's sort of a weird thread. I am slowly losing interest.

I am trying to ignore harvard's thread. wanna hang out somewhere more neutral like penn?

I didn't apply to Penn. NYU, Chicago or UVA?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:38 pm

Nine people on TLS reported an ED acceptance so far for this cycle. Last year, ten total did. Just sayin'.

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:42 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Nine people on TLS reported an ED acceptance so far for this cycle. Last year, ten total did. Just sayin'.

i'm surprised you know this haha

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:42 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Nine people on TLS reported an ED acceptance so far for this cycle. Last year, ten total did. Just sayin'.

ED apps are up, as are TLS users.

:)

/postive thoughts

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:42 pm

So you're saying there's a chance...

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:45 pm

crackberry wrote:I didn't apply to Penn. NYU, Chicago or UVA?

hmmmm. I applied to those, but don't really feel like obsessing over NYU or Chicago. Maybe UVA is the right choice. Oh, but Chicago was talking about gossip girl for a while? that was nice.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:48 pm

oneforship wrote:

/postive thoughts

It seems like conventional wisdom is that LSN represents 10-15% of the total application pool. Even if we double that for ED applicants, since they seem to be better informed, we've still got 20-30% representation, which is probably pushing it. That would equal 30-45 already in under ED. How many people can they accept ED? The class size is about 400, give or take, and ED = 100% matriculation. Of course, this is all mass speculation. I'm not sure if CLS has a certain number of people they let in under ED or if they keep accepting people they feel may be qualified and will help raise their yield, regardless of the final tally.

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:48 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:

So you're saying there's a chance...

haha I love that

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:49 pm

puppins wrote:

hmmmm. I applied to those, but don't really feel like obsessing over NYU or Chicago. Maybe UVA is the right choice. Oh, but Chicago was talking about gossip girl for a while? that was nice.

yea -- we should go back to that.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:50 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
puppins wrote:

Can we talk about RW/RR Challenge: The Ruins or Jersey Shore starting tonight instead?

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:50 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
puppins wrote:

we could bring the, "which law school would characters from X show go to" discussion here, though. Any ideas for the show?

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:51 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
oneforship wrote:

/postive thoughts

It seems like conventional wisdom is that LSN represents 10-15% of the total application pool. Even if we double that for ED applicants, since they seem to be better informed, we've still got 20-30% representation, which is probably pushing it. That would equal 30-45 already in under ED. How many people can they accept ED? The class size is about 400, give or take, and ED = 100% matriculation. Of course, this is all mass speculation. I'm not sure if CLS has a certain number of people they let in under ED or if they keep accepting people they feel may be qualified and will help raise their yield, regardless of the final tally.

Someone in the UVA thread passed along that a dean there told them they admit 10% of the class or so via ED, I'm not sure how different it would be for other schools.

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:52 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
oneforship wrote:

/postive thoughts

I don't buy that some of those LSN profiles are real. Jose seems fake as does Daninreallife.

ClemCarter

Postby ClemCarter » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:52 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
puppins wrote:

On it.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:53 pm

oneforship wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
oneforship wrote:

/postive thoughts

Someone in the UVA thread passed along that a dean there told them they admit 10% of the class or so via ED, I'm not sure how different it would be for other schools.

Yeah, so in that case, we might have seen all of the CLS ED acceptances we're going to see this year.

IMO, that's unlikely, but I do think they've let in the bulk of the ED people. We might see a trickling over the next week or so, due to them figuring out more borderline cases.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:53 pm

rx3r wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
oneforship wrote:

/postive thoughts

I don't buy that some of those LSN profiles are real. Jose seems fake as does Daninreallife.

I didn't count either of those. I'm assuming they are fake as well.

M51

Postby M51 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:54 pm

Thx Helmholtz for the shoutout and digging up the info. So far, this year's ED standards looks a bit tougher than last year's from that list (no 4.2s yet? rough.), but it's early yet. CLS usually accepts ED ppl for another week at least.

CLS ad-com is getting together a small group of student 'ambassadors' to help out w/ stuff and we have our first lunch next week. I'll see if they tell us anything useful, even if its just a general sense of how the trends in this cycle's looking so far.

And to the guy ~20 posts up, CLS sometimes requests additional information or explanations of stuff about your application. Most of the time, such requests are followed by an admit (pure anecdotal ev, but I would take it as a good sign if they're requesting more info). I've yet to figure out why they actually do this, esp for ED, but it's fairly common at CLS and they're doing more and more of this each cycle.

Good luck to everyone! Hope to see some of you here next year. :D

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”