Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ny1111

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby ny1111 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:33 am

I haven't gotten any e-mails from Columbia at all. I had a request for more information on something in my application in mid-March and after I provided it the Dean wrote saying I "should" receive a decision by the end of the month, but haven't gotten anything of any kind. My current choice is Northwestern, so I have until the 30th, but this is driving me mad! FYI I am 3.9x/170.

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:47 am

Core wrote:
legalnoeagle wrote:I can't take it anymore.

LMAO! I've felt like this since Monday, but with CLS, SLS, and HLS.

Got drunk last night, came home, and deposited at NYU (scholly deadline is 4/19). Interesting that it took a shitload of Old Fashioneds to finally get me to come to my senses.

urban

Postby urban » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:54 am

My application was forwarded to the admissions committee at the end of February, confused as to why it's taking so long to reject me.

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:49 am

Are people that are in the "we'll let you know by April 21" group hearing anything yet?
I have a scholarship deadline 2 days before that and I kind of really need to know but I don't want to irritate them by calling and asking.

jasmoon

Postby jasmoon » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:32 pm

I just called the admissions office and was told that my app is still UR and should hear a decision within the next few weeks. :| I've been complete since early December!

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:36 pm

Jasmoon did they tell you when they would give you an answer by?
*edited to clarify: They said "in the next few weeks" but did they originally say a particular date (like in the held letter) i.e., "April 27" or whatever?

jasmoon

Postby jasmoon » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:41 pm

neimanmarxist wrote:Jasmoon did they tell you when they would give you an answer by?
*edited to clarify: They said "in the next few weeks" but did they originally say a particular date (like in the held letter) i.e., "April 27" or whatever?

No, he wasn't specific. And I haven't even heard from Columbia since my complete e-mail back in December; I wasn't put on reserve or waitlisted, etc.

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:44 pm

le sigh.

i'm sorry they've taken so long for you too. talk about radio silence.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:11 pm

jasmoon wrote:
neimanmarxist wrote:Jasmoon did they tell you when they would give you an answer by?

No, he wasn't specific. And I haven't even heard from Columbia since my complete e-mail back in December; I wasn't put on reserve or waitlisted, etc.

With your stats, you should have been accepted by now with $.

Core

Postby Core » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:12 pm

legalnoeagle wrote:
Core wrote:
legalnoeagle wrote:I can't take it anymore.

LMAO! I've felt like this since Monday, but with CLS, SLS, and HLS.

Got drunk last night, came home, and deposited at NYU (scholly deadline is 4/19). Interesting that it took a shitload of Old Fashioneds to finally get me to come to my senses.

:)

ChildPlease

Postby ChildPlease » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:44 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
ChildPlease wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:No, you were both right. The original hold letter reads as above, but the useless follow-up e-mail we received more recently did say that they would "make every effort." I hope they didn't think that change in language would go unnoticed. Reason #586 Columbia are a bunch of bastards.

I didn't get this. Do you remember when this was sent?

March 31st. Here's the text:

We hope you are enjoying your spring. As we continue to evaluate applications for the Columbia Law School Class of 2013, we are also reviewing candidates whom we placed on "Hold" earlier in the admissions season. This year's applicant pool continues to be among the largest and most highly qualified in our history; therefore, we would like to encourage you, if you have not already done so, to submit a statement of continuing interest in Columbia that includes new pertinent information, if any. To the extent possible, kindly limit the statement to one page. Please send the statement to Danielle Flores, Assistant Director of Admissions, at danielle.flores@law.columbia.edu, no later than April 7, 2010. Upon receipt of your correspondence, we will add the statement to your file but will not be able to confirm receipt of individual statements.

At this date, we also understand that you might have committed to another law school for the next three years. While we are saddened by the loss of your candidacy, we would appreciate it if you could notify us of this as soon as possible by contacting Danielle Flores at danielle.flores@law.columbia.edu.
Thanks
Please be advised that should you remain under consideration, we will make every effort to mail your decision no later than the date specified in your letter. Thank you again for your continued patience and interest in Columbia Law School.

Thanks

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:48 pm

jasmoon wrote:I just called the admissions office and was told that my app is still UR and should hear a decision within the next few weeks. :| I've been complete since early December!

I sent an email to the admissions office a few weeks ago, and they told me that I was still under review, and that based on my complete date I should expect a decision "by the end of April, if not sooner."

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:49 pm

legalnoeagle, what was your status? were you held? had they promised you a decision by a particular date?

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:52 pm

neimanmarxist wrote:legalnoeagle, what was your status? were you held? had they promised you a decision by a particular date?

Not held. Just sitting in purgatory.

I had half a mind to send a tongue-in-cheek response to the admissions office thanking them for their thorough review of my candidacy.

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:13 pm

neimanmarxist wrote:legalnoeagle, what was your status? were you held? had they promised you a decision by a particular date?

ohai NM! I haven't heard anything either. I'm [strike]in[/strike] also supposed to hear back by the 21st..... :? :/

Edited for typo

Edit #2: Is that a sign!? :shock:
Last edited by shanemahsa on Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doza

Postby doza » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:15 pm

jasmoon wrote:I just called the admissions office and was told that my app is still UR and should hear a decision within the next few weeks. :| I've been complete since early December!

Me, too. :|

Core

Postby Core » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:13 pm

Wow, this silence is killing me. Any holds get in/rejected so far?!

starsong

Postby starsong » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:50 pm

Core wrote:Wow, this silence is killing me. Any holds get in/rejected so far?!

I think there have been 2 or 3 on TLS/LSN that reported acceptance from hold here and there. Nothing resembling a batch of hold decisions though.

Saya

Postby Saya » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:37 pm

starsong wrote:

I think there have been 2 or 3 on TLS/LSN that reported acceptance from hold here and there. Nothing resembling a batch of hold decisions though.
Looking at last year's stats on LSN, it doesn't seem like they accepted very many people who were held. :| Maybe only 4 or 5 from mid-April --> end of April?

Core

Postby Core » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:10 pm

Saya wrote:
starsong wrote:

Looking at last year's stats on LSN, it doesn't seem like they accepted very many people who were held. :| Maybe only 4 or 5 from mid-April --> end of April?

Ugh! Crap. Maybe many holds on LSN didn't select the "Deferred" option...

Saya

Postby Saya » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:15 pm

Core wrote:
Saya wrote: Looking at last year's stats on LSN, it doesn't seem like they accepted very many people who were held. :| Maybe only 4 or 5 from mid-April --> end of April?

:( I'm counting the people who didn't select "Deferred." I just counted up anyone who was accepted during that time period. :(

Core

Postby Core » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:25 am

I just woke up, incredibly disappointed to return to reality, from a dream that I was accepted by CLS and got a $20k/year scholly. WHY?! This is cruel.

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:11 pm

I've asked this question before, but did CLS scholarships come with a deadline? If so, has that deadline passed?

I know most decisions this week will be of the WL/ding variety, but I'm grasping at straws here...

starsong

Postby starsong » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:13 pm

legalnoeagle wrote:I've asked this question before, but did CLS scholarships come with a deadline? If so, has that deadline passed?

I know [strike]most[/strike] virtually all of the decisions this week will be of the WL/ding variety, but I'm grasping at straws here...

Fixed a minor typo in your original post :-)

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:14 pm

Core wrote:
Saya wrote:
starsong wrote:

I just selected the deferred option for my hold schools this week, so this is a high possibility.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”