Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
starsong

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby starsong » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:20 pm

MahaloMontana wrote:
starsong wrote:
Z3RO wrote:anxiety bump

Strange that no major wave of hold decisions has gone out yet. For letters to arrive by the 21st, they would have to leave NYC pretty soon. NYC applicants would hear first, but there's been no widespread reporting of hold decisions AFAIK...

They've moved on to accepting by email though, so they may send all remaining decisions for the 21st group via email on that day. That would ensure they meet the deadline regardless of location.

That's true, but have rejections/reserves ever come via e-mail? It would be a precedent I believe.

utcris410

Postby utcris410 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:15 pm

I visited two weeks ago. They said they were trying to let all holds know by April 21, but that it could be up until May 1.

Jacinda

Postby Jacinda » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:58 pm

utcris410 wrote:I visited two weeks ago. They said they were trying to let all holds know by April 21, but that it could be up until May 1.

That's late! Don't they know some people have arrangements to make?

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:01 pm

Jacinda wrote:
utcris410 wrote:I visited two weeks ago. They said they were trying to let all holds know by April 21, but that it could be up until May 1.

That's late! Don't they know some people have arrangements to make?

They know. And they don't care.

ankit

Postby ankit » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:39 am

Withdrew from admission today....hope someone on TLS gets my slot. Good luck all!

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:52 am

holybartender wrote:
nawktasy wrote:The hold letter I have says:

Please be advised that you will receive a decision from the Committee no later than April 21, 2010.

Hope that helps.

Words. I am eating them.

No, you were both right. The original hold letter reads as above, but the useless follow-up e-mail we received more recently did say that they would "make every effort." I hope they didn't think that change in language would go unnoticed. Reason #586 Columbia are a bunch of bastards.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:33 am

scribelaw wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:
Jacinda wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:Sigh. Anyone else here who has given up hope but just wants to know why they didn't get in? I think I would feel a lot better if I knew why.

Did you already find out? I'm an EDer, and the admissions office told me I may not find out until after April.

No, I'm in the 'you'll hear by 4/21' batch. But realistically, they've had my application for seven months now (and my LOCI for two), and it's not like my numbers are so borderline that they'd have to wait till the very end to see if they could afford to take me... so I'm pretty sure I'm boned. I just wish I knew what it was that turned them off. My numbers twin on LSN got a Butler.

I'm kinda wondering same thing for Columbia and Chicago, too.

I don't have Butler numbers, but I have a decent GPA and above-median LSAT. I'm thinking that CC were turned off by my no-name undergrad or the fact that I had a prior LSAT score, because that's better than them just not liking me.
Yeah, I'm worried about the 'maybe they really don't like me as a person' thing too... but I think the truth is that Columbia just isn't as predictable as TLS thinks. There are a handful of waitlists and rejections on LSN every year in what TLS would term the auto-admit zone, so I think there are "awesome shot" numbers, but really no such thing as auto-admit numbers. I mean, when you take all those waitlists and rejections and multiply them by whatever number to represent the entire applicant pool, that's a sizable number of 175+/3.7+ applicants not getting in. They can't all be felons.

$1.99 wrote:if you are international, that could be the difference, they may have already filled up their quota of whatever country you are a citizen of, and please don't tell me law schools don't have quotas for foreign students
Nope, not international... that sucks though. :(

Jacinda wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:
Jacinda wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:Sigh. Anyone else here who has given up hope but just wants to know why they didn't get in? I think I would feel a lot better if I knew why.

Did you already find out? I'm an EDer, and the admissions office told me I may not find out until after April.

No, I'm in the 'you'll hear by 4/21' batch. But realistically, they've had my application for seven months now (and my LOCI for two), and it's not like my numbers are so borderline that they'd have to wait till the very end to see if they could afford to take me... so I'm pretty sure I'm boned. I just wish I knew what it was that turned them off. My numbers twin on LSN got a Butler.

I think when they said wait, it means they're going through all the apps on hold again. Yours could just be at the bottom because you applied early. I know I sent them at least 20 pages to read. So I wouldn't sweat it out until April 21st because then you know they're snail mailing you something, which means either a ding or waitlist. :D Cheer up Bai. Your worth don't go down cuz Columbia may not accept you. :D
:) Thanks Jacinda. You are perceptive.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:23 am

Bai, dont you have like a 179 LSAT and a gpa way above their 25th? lol did you send in the wrong PS?

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:29 am

She has a 180 LSAT and a GPA a little above CLS's median, IIRC.

No matter. We'll become friends at NYU, Bai, and have a lot more fun than those crazy kids at Columbia. You don't need CLS to know that you're awesome.

Core

Postby Core » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:34 am

When are we expecting any news (aside from before the end of the month lol)?

ShibaDan

Postby ShibaDan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:35 am

I haven't been following this thread closely enough. If someone wouldn't mind helping me out. I was an ED'er and after being deferred have heard nothing. They said they'd start reviewing in March so I send an LOCI and additional LOR and still nothing. Is this typical for the ED --> Defer people?

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:36 am

def2104 wrote:I haven't been following this thread closely enough. If someone wouldn't mind helping me out. I was an ED'er and after being deferred have heard nothing. They said they'd start reviewing in March so I send an LOCI and additional LOR and still nothing. Is this typical for the ED --> Defer people?

my understanding is that an ED defer should be treated like a ding, basically.

starsong

Postby starsong » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:38 am

Core wrote:When are we expecting any news (aside from before the end of the month lol)?

At this rate, it's looking like end of April. Last night I compared this year's timetable with last year's, and there definitely seems to be a delay this year. Holds started hearing 4/13 last year if I remember correctly.

FWIW, the WL wave hasn't gone out at NYU either; last year they started on 4/6. So maybe things are just slower this year...
Last edited by starsong on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShibaDan

Postby ShibaDan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:38 am

puppleberry finn wrote:
def2104 wrote:I haven't been following this thread closely enough. If someone wouldn't mind helping me out. I was an ED'er and after being deferred have heard nothing. They said they'd start reviewing in March so I send an LOCI and additional LOR and still nothing. Is this typical for the ED --> Defer people?

my understanding is that an ED defer should be treated like a ding, basically.

We don't even get reserve...that's lame. super lame. expect no donations from this alum. :twisted:

Wouldugo

Postby Wouldugo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:10 pm

I've read some conflicting opinions. Some people say an ED defferal is as good as a rejection, but, supposedly, a few people do get accepted after being deffered. So our chances are either zero or very, very slim. I don't think that they would reject every single person they deferred because, after all, what would be the point of deferring us in the first place, then?

Anyways, I still have some hope, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm most likely setting myself up for disappointment, and I'm prepared for that.

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:00 pm

I can't take it anymore.

Core

Postby Core » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:14 pm

legalnoeagle wrote:I can't take it anymore.

LMAO! I've felt like this since Monday, but with CLS, SLS, and HLS.

Jacinda

Postby Jacinda » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:36 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
Jacinda wrote:I think when they said wait, it means they're going through all the apps on hold again. Yours could just be at the bottom because you applied early. I know I sent them at least 20 pages to read. So I wouldn't sweat it out until April 21st because then you know they're snail mailing you something, which means either a ding or waitlist. :D Cheer up Bai. Your worth don't go down cuz Columbia may not accept you. :D
:) Thanks Jacinda. You are perceptive.

Don't worry Bai. We've all felt like this at one point or another, at least I have, but it ain't true. They just feelings, and feeling ain't necessary reality. :D

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:41 pm

BenJ wrote:She has a 180 LSAT and a GPA a little above CLS's median, IIRC.

No matter. We'll become friends at NYU, Bai, and have a lot more fun than those crazy kids at Columbia. You don't need CLS to know that you're awesome.

Yep, 3.79. Harvard hasn't bitten either, but I really was expecting Columbia to come through. :(

But no matter indeed! We will have super fun at NYU. :D <3

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:08 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
BenJ wrote:She has a 180 LSAT and a GPA a little above CLS's median, IIRC.

Yep, 3.79. Harvard hasn't bitten either, but I really was expecting Columbia to come through. :(

But no matter indeed! We will have super fun at NYU. :D <3

unless you get in on 4/21!

ChildPlease

Postby ChildPlease » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:22 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
holybartender wrote:
nawktasy wrote:The hold letter I have says:

Please be advised that you will receive a decision from the Committee no later than April 21, 2010.

Hope that helps.

Words. I am eating them.

No, you were both right. The original hold letter reads as above, but the useless follow-up e-mail we received more recently did say that they would "make every effort." I hope they didn't think that change in language would go unnoticed. Reason #586 Columbia are a bunch of bastards.

I didn't get this. Do you remember when this was sent?

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:04 pm

ChildPlease wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:No, you were both right. The original hold letter reads as above, but the useless follow-up e-mail we received more recently did say that they would "make every effort." I hope they didn't think that change in language would go unnoticed. Reason #586 Columbia are a bunch of bastards.

March 31st. Here's the text:

We hope you are enjoying your spring. As we continue to evaluate applications for the Columbia Law School Class of 2013, we are also reviewing candidates whom we placed on "Hold" earlier in the admissions season. This year's applicant pool continues to be among the largest and most highly qualified in our history; therefore, we would like to encourage you, if you have not already done so, to submit a statement of continuing interest in Columbia that includes new pertinent information, if any. To the extent possible, kindly limit the statement to one page. Please send the statement to Danielle Flores, Assistant Director of Admissions, at danielle.flores@law.columbia.edu, no later than April 7, 2010. Upon receipt of your correspondence, we will add the statement to your file but will not be able to confirm receipt of individual statements.

At this date, we also understand that you might have committed to another law school for the next three years. While we are saddened by the loss of your candidacy, we would appreciate it if you could notify us of this as soon as possible by contacting Danielle Flores at danielle.flores@law.columbia.edu.

Please be advised that should you remain under consideration, we will make every effort to mail your decision no later than the date specified in your letter. Thank you again for your continued patience and interest in Columbia Law School.

gerghk

Postby gerghk » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:20 pm

i didn't get it either

gmail

Postby gmail » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:42 am

If I don't have an acceptance tomorrow then I'm guessing it'll come next week. I also have a feeling they've been saving one last Hamilton for me. Good luck to everyone else.

Integrity

Postby Integrity » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:01 am

I'm another ED deferral. They sure are dragging this out. Telling me maybe in December only to tell me in mid- to late April NO is kind of rude! I would've preferred to know the NO in December since I am a non-URM and a 4.0/158.

They've allowed me to hold on to hope! :/

Any idea when we WILL hear, though? Obviously, I'd go in a heartbeat.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”