Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
starsong

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby starsong » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:29 pm

Zara wrote:in today via email (I'm abroad).

Congrats!! When did you apply? Were you on hold?

lawblahblah

Postby lawblahblah » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:08 pm

Held. Should additional LORs be sent through LSAC or sent directly to Columbia (if directly, is fax okay)?

Zara

Postby Zara » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:27 pm

starsong wrote:
Zara wrote:in today via email (I'm abroad).

Congrats!! When did you apply? Were you on hold?

I applied in january 6th or 7th. I don't remember when I went complete, but I think it was at the end of january. I was not on hold. The acceptance email is the first thing I've heard since going complete.

I will likely be withdrawing. I want to wait until I see if they are offering me a scholarship but I'm pretty set on going to another school. Only a massive scholarship would change my mind and I doubt that is likely at this point. Hopefully my spot will go to one of you still waiting. :D

FCD

Postby FCD » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:44 pm

lawblahblah wrote:Held. Should additional LORs be sent through LSAC or sent directly to Columbia (if directly, is fax okay)?

yikes, doesn't bode well for the rest of us. Is there anything out of the ordinary about your app, because your numbers seem near autoadmit territory?

nax425

Postby nax425 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:23 am

FCD wrote:
lawblahblah wrote:Held. Should additional LORs be sent through LSAC or sent directly to Columbia (if directly, is fax okay)?

yikes, doesn't bode well for the rest of us. Is there anything out of the ordinary about your app, because your numbers seem near autoadmit territory?

yeah, I have to wonder why I haven't just been auto-rejected at this point. why do they hang on to apps for so long?

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:40 am

for anyone who emailed financial aid offer to notify them of nyu/chicago grants and received a response/acknowledgment of email: what email address did you use? just checking that I did, in fact, send my message to the correct address.

lawblahblah

Postby lawblahblah » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:49 am

FCD wrote:

The only thing I can think of is that my undergrad is BYU. Schools are cautious about admitting too many of us and based on the LSAT breakdown the prelaw office here provides, the other BYU candidates this year are very competitive.

Also, the 176 is my second score. I got a 172 the first time.

I have had somewhat of a strange cycle, so maybe I just suck in some significant way and am not aware of it.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:51 am

lawblahblah wrote:
FCD wrote:
lawblahblah wrote:Held. Should additional LORs be sent through LSAC or sent
directly to Columbia (if directly, is fax okay)?

The only thing I can think of is that my undergrad is BYU. Schools are cautious about admitting too many of us and based on the LSAT breakdown the prelaw office here provides, the other BYU candidates this year are very competitive.

Also, the 176 is my second score. I got a 172 the first time.

I have had somewhat of a strange cycle, so maybe I just suck in some significant way and am not aware of it.

Me and you are pretty much numbers twins and I have had a very strange cycle also...

dcchillin

Postby dcchillin » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:14 pm

Does anyone know how liberal Columbia's deferral policy actually is? Will they let me defer if I just want to work on a campaign through November and then travel for a few months? And if I request a deferral, and its not granted, does it mean that I'm committed to matriculate this fall?

chinny123

Postby chinny123 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:08 pm

At an info sesh with the Dean of Admissions this fall, she said that they'll give deferrals for pretty much anything, even travelling the world.

dcchillin

Postby dcchillin » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:11 am

chinny123 wrote:At an info sesh with the Dean of Admissions this fall, she said that they'll give deferrals for pretty much anything, even travelling the world.

that's great news. thanks! :D

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:55 pm

Incidentally, Columbia told me when I called that whenever a candidate writes to alert them that a deadline has been imposed by another school, that information is indeed forwarded to the admissions committee. So if they don't get back to me in time, it won't be because my e-mail never made it to the right hands; it'll be because they just didn't care enough to decision my application in 26 weeks instead of 28.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:11 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Jump off cliff?

Nah, seriously, I'll just go to another law school. No biggie.

also: up to orientation, weekend drives to NYC to beg and plead.

Oh yea? You can stay at my place :)

ready to take you up on this if the offer still stands.....

chinny123

Postby chinny123 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:13 pm

In today! My mom just called to let me know (had all my stuff sent home).

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:15 pm

chinny123 wrote:In today! My mom just called to let me know (had all my stuff sent home).

Congrats!!

edit: noticed on LSN we have very similar numbers, although I'm an LSAT retaker. fingers crossed. congrats again!

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:19 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Jump off cliff?

Nah, seriously, I'll just go to another law school. No biggie.

also: up to orientation, weekend drives to NYC to beg and plead.

well it took you three months, but yea, sure.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:25 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:also: up to orientation, weekend drives to NYC to beg and plead.

yesssssssss

I'll be there tomorrow night. Watch for me.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:26 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:ready to take you up on this if the offer still stands.....

yesssssssss

less or more creepy if it's true?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:27 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:ready to take you up on this if the offer still stands.....

yesssssssss

less or more creepy if it's true?

I'm still undecided. I guess we'll find out when I show up, huh?

Core

Postby Core » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:32 pm

chinny123 wrote:In today! My mom just called to let me know (had all my stuff sent home).

Congrats :)

Any holds get in/rejected/waitlisted so far?

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:58 pm

so I heard back from CLS re: peer school $. Admissions office responded stating that while they don't have a scholarship matching program they do take such information into account but can't guarantee meeting deadlines from other schools. They suggested contacting schools to ask for extension on award deadline. Has anyone done this? nyu's deadline is fast approaching.

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:23 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:so I heard back from CLS re: peer school $. Admissions office responded stating that while they don't have a scholarship matching program they do take such information into account but can't guarantee meeting deadlines from other schools. They suggested contacting schools to ask for extension on award deadline. Has anyone done this? nyu's deadline is fast approaching.

Yea I got pretty much the same response from them. Also, I contacted NYU as it has been since Mar. 12th since I asked for an extension. They told me it takes so long because the Dean and Director of financial aid review every appeal. I was told I should hear back about my request before the deadline but they couldn't make any guarantess.

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:24 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:so I heard back from CLS re: peer school $. Admissions office responded stating that while they don't have a scholarship matching program they do take such information into account but can't guarantee meeting deadlines from other schools. They suggested contacting schools to ask for extension on award deadline. Has anyone done this? nyu's deadline is fast approaching.

ah well, you made me bite the bullet and send in an e-mail informing them about my NYU scholarship (of $37,500). I really hope this doesn't bite me in the ass and make them offer less than they were initially going to, but I guess it's a chance I'm willing to take. :)

LDC

Postby LDC » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:48 pm

IN today via mail. I just about fell over!

I sent in my app on ... 11/17, went complete 12/10. Letter postmarked 3/23.

I was shocked --- my numbers aren't fabulous and I figured that the delay in hearing from them meant I was rejected or waitlisted.

There is hope for those of y'all who are still waiting. :)

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:49 pm

LDC wrote:IN today via mail. I just about fell over!

I sent in my app on ... 11/17, went complete 12/10. Letter postmarked 3/23.

I was shocked --- my numbers aren't fabulous and I figured that the delay in hearing from them meant I was rejected or waitlisted.

There is hope for those of y'all who are still waiting. :)

grats!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”