Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Core

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Core » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:09 pm

jl2032 wrote:
LDC wrote:are holds/deferrals via email, or is everything snail-mail? my goodness, it's been a long time since i went complete... (12/10)

Everything is snail-mail.

If you're held, aren't acceptances given out via e-mail (PDF)?

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:16 pm

Another day. Another empty mailbox.

Screw this--I'm going on vacation.

manwitaplan

Postby manwitaplan » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:22 pm

Has anyone tried e-mailing Columbia to ask about a status update on an application?

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:16 pm

Waitlisted today. That's what I expected, so it's not really a big blow.

FCD

Postby FCD » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:10 pm

Complete 2/10, too early to be compulsively checking for the mail all morning? (I'm home most of the day and my mailman's timing is unpredictable so this is becoming a real problem).

I'm getting scared those of us who applied in late january may have waited too long. Hopefully there are some seats left!!!

starsong

Postby starsong » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:51 am

Core wrote:
jl2032 wrote:
LDC wrote:are holds/deferrals via email, or is everything snail-mail? my goodness, it's been a long time since i went complete... (12/10)

Everything is snail-mail.

If you're held, aren't acceptances given out via e-mail (PDF)?

According to last year's thread, acceptances from hold seemed to arrive exclusively via e-mail, while WLs/rejections came via snail mail.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:04 am

FCD wrote:Complete 2/10, too early to be compulsively checking for the mail all morning? (I'm home most of the day and my mailman's timing is unpredictable so this is becoming a real problem).

I'm getting scared those of us who applied in late january may have waited too long. Hopefully there are some seats left!!!

I went complete on 2/9 and got my VCE last week. Good luck!

LDC

Postby LDC » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:39 am

So... is there any hope for those of us who went complete in December (or earlier)? :(

jasmoon

Postby jasmoon » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:56 am

LDC wrote:So... is there any hope for those of us who went complete in December (or earlier)? :(

Apparently not. :(

lawblahblah

Postby lawblahblah » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:01 pm

manwitaplan wrote:Has anyone tried e-mailing Columbia to ask about a status update on an application?

I e-mailed them on 3/9 and they responded right away informing me that a decision letter was mailed out on 3/3 and to just be patient. I still have not received anything. Two days ago I sent a follow-up e-mail and have not heard anything. Just from my experience with Columbia, they seem to get annoyed by any request or inquiry.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:07 pm

so anyone who has email columbia notifying them of uchicago or nyu grants, has columbia responded in anyway? acknowledged the email? I email and they didn't respond in anyway so I'm just worrying it was lost in their spam filter or ignored or it wasn't the right email for the financial aid office.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:16 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:so anyone who has email columbia notifying them of uchicago or nyu grants, has columbia responded in anyway? acknowledged the email? I email and they didn't respond in anyway so I'm just worrying it was lost in their spam filter or ignored or it wasn't the right email for the financial aid office.

They acknowledged mine by replying to say that they couldn't give me a "timeline" (not what I asked for) but that I could call the admissions office "as the April 1st deadline approaches" (which it does, minute by minute) to find out whether a decision has been mailed (information that does me a fat lot of good, as my knowing when a decision has been mailed does not actually cause that decision to come before April).

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:16 pm

IAFG wrote:bai's ordeal makes me glad i did not get into NYU

I spread cheer wherever I go. :mrgreen:

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:28 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:so anyone who has email columbia notifying them of uchicago or nyu grants, has columbia responded in anyway? acknowledged the email? I email and they didn't respond in anyway so I'm just worrying it was lost in their spam filter or ignored or it wasn't the right email for the financial aid office.

I emailed them at the end of day on Monday and have yet to receive a reply. On the "In at Columbia" thread, someone else reported emailing them over the weekend and then getting a response late on Tuesday. It might be that they're just behind in responding to emails.

But, yeah, it would be nice if they at least acknowledged receipt. Like you, I am left to wonder if they received my email and its attachments.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:32 pm

Dignan wrote:

I emailed them at the end of day on Monday and have yet to receive a reply. On the "In at Columbia" thread, someone else reported emailing them over the weekend and then getting a response late on Tuesday. It might be that they're just behind in responding to emails.

But, yeah, it would be nice if they at least acknowledged receipt. Like you, I am left to wonder if they received my email and its attachments.

Call and make sure they received it!! The people who answer are very nice. Don't be afraid to make a phone call. They expect you to do so and will be glad to help (and earn their paychecks! LoL)

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:03 pm

Dignan wrote:

I sent an e-mail to Columbia about my financial aid materials on March 1st, and they responded to my e-mail on March 16th. In the body of the e-mail, they wrote:

"I apologize for the delayed response to your email, at this time our office is inundated with emails."

So they're just a bit behind I think. :)

utcris410

Postby utcris410 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:21 pm

I emailed earlier today about scheduling a visit and they replied within half an hour.

xokel87

Postby xokel87 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:22 pm

utcris410 wrote:I emailed earlier today about scheduling a visit and they replied within half an hour.

What exactly is involved with scheduling a visit? Signing up for a class/tour? I thought it said online you could just go in?

utcris410

Postby utcris410 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:25 pm

xokel87 wrote:
utcris410 wrote:I emailed earlier today about scheduling a visit and they replied within half an hour.

What exactly is involved with scheduling a visit? Signing up for a class/tour? I thought it said online you could just go in?

You can - they just sent me the link to see which classes you can visit, where their office is, where to get a self-guided tour map, etc. I emailed to let them know I was coming.

gmail

Postby gmail » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:26 pm

I have found CLS admissions staff to be much more amiable than their foes down in the village. My three year old nephew has better phone etiquette than the NYU phone-picker-uppers.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:35 pm

Just to be clear, I emailed the Office of Financial Aid. If you were scheduling a visit, you probably emailed Admissions.

utcris410

Postby utcris410 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:37 pm

Dignan wrote:

Just to be clear, I emailed the Office of Financial Aid. If you were scheduling a visit, you probably emailed Admissions.

Correct!

andreea7

Postby andreea7 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:39 pm

Dignan wrote:

Why not just call?

jitsrenzo

Postby jitsrenzo » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:18 pm

Don't worry, they acknowledged receipt of my email with the NYU deadline the next day. The FA office people are also very nice. I think you can rest assured they have received your info and know there is a deadline.

Dignan wrote:I emailed them at the end of day on Monday and have yet to receive a reply. On the "In at Columbia" thread, someone else reported emailing them over the weekend and then getting a response late on Tuesday. It might be that they're just behind in responding to emails.

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:32 pm

so you guys think it's a good idea to send columbia an e-mail with the nyu grant information inside? I figured it might seem like I was bothering them before I even got my award, but a lot of people seem to be doing it... hmm...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”