Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Dignan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:06 am

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
Good question. I don't think I am bound, and would just lose my deposit. This means I can wait out the HYS waitlists all summer if need be!

In fact, if you're not bound, you could apply to HYS again next year, right?

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby CG614 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:24 am


lawblahblah
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:36 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby lawblahblah » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:44 am

I e-mailed admissions on March 9th and they confirmed a decision letter was sent out on March 3rd. I still haven't seen anything. Should I call and bug them again, or wait a few more days? With the NYU scholarship deadline I really need to know what my situation with Columbia is.

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby CG614 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:52 am

lawblahblah wrote:I e-mailed admissions on March 9th and they confirmed a decision letter was sent out on March 3rd. I still haven't seen anything. Should I call and bug them again, or wait a few more days? With the NYU scholarship deadline I really need to know what my situation with Columbia is.

Where are you located? You probably should have received it by now, regardless. FWIW, my acceptance was dated March 3rd. Not sure if they batch, so that may be worthless information. Good luck!

lawblahblah
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:36 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby lawblahblah » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:57 am

CG614 wrote:
lawblahblah wrote:I e-mailed admissions on March 9th and they confirmed a decision letter was sent out on March 3rd. I still haven't seen anything. Should I call and bug them again, or wait a few more days? With the NYU scholarship deadline I really need to know what my situation with Columbia is.

Where are you located? You probably should have received it by now, regardless. FWIW, my acceptance was dated March 3rd. Not sure if they batch, so that may be worthless information. Good luck!


I'm in Utah, but my stuff from NYU came pretty quickly. Your date is encouraging. This may be a little shady but a friend of mine got in and so I was able to see the admitted students site. I tried my information in the online enrollement page and it said the information was not in their database. Do you think this means I am rejected?

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby CG614 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:02 am

lawblahblah wrote:
CG614 wrote:
lawblahblah wrote:I e-mailed admissions on March 9th and they confirmed a decision letter was sent out on March 3rd. I still haven't seen anything. Should I call and bug them again, or wait a few more days? With the NYU scholarship deadline I really need to know what my situation with Columbia is.

Where are you located? You probably should have received it by now, regardless. FWIW, my acceptance was dated March 3rd. Not sure if they batch, so that may be worthless information. Good luck!


I'm in Utah, but my stuff from NYU came pretty quickly. Your date is encouraging. This may be a little shady but a friend of mine got in and so I was able to see the admitted students site. I tried my information in the online enrollment page and it said the information was not in their database. Do you think this means I am rejected?


I wouldn't read too much into that. IMO, I'd call them if you still haven't received it by tomorrow.

jsbr1114
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby jsbr1114 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:13 am

CG614 wrote:
lawblahblah wrote:I e-mailed admissions on March 9th and they confirmed a decision letter was sent out on March 3rd. I still haven't seen anything. Should I call and bug them again, or wait a few more days? With the NYU scholarship deadline I really need to know what my situation with Columbia is.

Where are you located? You probably should have received it by now, regardless. FWIW, my acceptance was dated March 3rd. Not sure if they batch, so that may be worthless information. Good luck!



I think March 3 was a mixed batch with mostly holds and reserves.

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Rand M. » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:16 am

How long should one wait without contacting them? I submitted sometime in October. NYU money and planning ASW stuff means that I really need to know relatively soon. It is becoming a little frustrating that they don't seem to be in any sort of rush at all, even approaching 5 full months.

User avatar
BaiAilian2013
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:36 am

Rand M. wrote:How long should one wait without contacting them? I submitted sometime in October. NYU money and planning ASW stuff means that I really need to know relatively soon. It is becoming a little frustrating that they don't seem to be in any sort of rush at all, even approaching 5 full months.

I e-mailed them to let them know that although they are still my first choice, I'd be an idiot to turn down $$ at NYU for the mere chance of acceptance at CLS, so I really need to know before April. They replied and said they couldn't give me a "timeline" (not what I asked for) but that I could call as the deadline approached to see if a decision had been mailed. It's an interesting response, since it sounds at first glance like a concession but doesn't actually help me in the slightest: I don't want to know when decisions are coming out, nor do I want to know if a decision has been mailed to me - I need to know what the decision is by a certain deadline, or they're out of the running. So unless they're going to give me the decision over the phone (ha, ha), calling to find out whether a decision has been mailed is 100% worthless to me. The mail will either come in time for me to make a decision or it won't.

I think you should contact them whenever you damn well please. They've had my application for six months and my LOCI for over a month now, so good freaking luck. I really hope the admissions office is not a reflection of the law school administration as a whole.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby IAFG » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:47 am

bai's ordeal makes me glad i did not get into NYU

legalnoeagle
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby legalnoeagle » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:25 pm

Rand M. wrote:How long should one wait without contacting them? I submitted sometime in October. NYU money and planning ASW stuff means that I really need to know relatively soon. It is becoming a little frustrating that they don't seem to be in any sort of rush at all, even approaching 5 full months.



Are you kidding me? I'm thinking of emailing them, and I've only been complete for two months!

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby BenJ » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:36 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
Rand M. wrote:How long should one wait without contacting them? I submitted sometime in October. NYU money and planning ASW stuff means that I really need to know relatively soon. It is becoming a little frustrating that they don't seem to be in any sort of rush at all, even approaching 5 full months.

I e-mailed them to let them know that although they are still my first choice, I'd be an idiot to turn down $$ at NYU for the mere chance of acceptance at CLS, so I really need to know before April. They replied and said they couldn't give me a "timeline" (not what I asked for) but that I could call as the deadline approached to see if a decision had been mailed. It's an interesting response, since it sounds at first glance like a concession but doesn't actually help me in the slightest: I don't want to know when decisions are coming out, nor do I want to know if a decision has been mailed to me - I need to know what the decision is by a certain deadline, or they're out of the running. So unless they're going to give me the decision over the phone (ha, ha), calling to find out whether a decision has been mailed is 100% worthless to me. The mail will either come in time for me to make a decision or it won't.

I think you should contact them whenever you damn well please. They've had my application for six months and my LOCI for over a month now, so good freaking luck. I really hope the admissions office is not a reflection of the law school administration as a whole.


You live in NYC, though, right? I would imagine that learning when the decision is mailed would mean you'll get it the very next day.

Or you could tell them you're going abroad and ask them to email your decision. :D

User avatar
chi16
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:12 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby chi16 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:56 pm

According to the online status checker, I've been at completion pending since the beginning of February. E-mailed admissions, no response. Anyone else in the same boat?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:04 pm

chi16 wrote:According to the online status checker, I've been at completion pending since the beginning of February. E-mailed admissions, no response. Anyone else in the same boat?


Mine went to complete pending as soon as the LSDAS report was mailed by LSAC, and it was pending for about a week before turing to complete. They must not have matched your paper report with your file yet for whatever reason.

bballfan
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:11 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby bballfan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:11 pm

In today. Letter dated 3/11. The envelope color is weird but it doesn't exactly look like vomit.

MY FILES!
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:19 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby MY FILES! » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:54 pm

bballfan wrote:In today. Letter dated 3/11. The envelope color is weird but it doesn't exactly look like vomit.


Congrats! When did you go complete?

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby CG614 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:57 pm

I have been really impressed with the level of information Columbia provides to admitted students. Just got a NYC guide book in the mail today. They have sent me 2-3 informational e-mails, and got the blue binder with lots of good info. You are winning me over Columbia! Haven't heard anything from NYU since the BPE. Going to NYU ASW next week, so that should give me a better feel for NYU.

User avatar
Jules Winnfield
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Jules Winnfield » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:01 pm

What's good with the financial aid? Anybody hear any word on that yet?

bballfan
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:11 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby bballfan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:15 pm

MY FILES! wrote:
bballfan wrote:In today. Letter dated 3/11. The envelope color is weird but it doesn't exactly look like vomit.


Congrats! When did you go complete?


Complete 2/2

User avatar
Lem37
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Lem37 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:27 pm

Hi guys,

Columbia 1L here. I just wanted to let you guys know that I didn't receive my merit-based financial aid until the end of March/beginning of April. I sent the Financial Aid Office my other awards on March 18th of last year, which is also when I submitted my FAFSA etc. Hang tight! They're still sending out acceptances and trying to figure out how to distribute their $$, but you've got plenty of time at this stage in the game. Don't be afraid to send them PDFs of your other awards!

Edit: also, if you haven't submitted your FAFSA/other FinAid forms yet, you won't hear about any merit money until you do so.

FCD
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:47 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby FCD » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:28 pm

bballfan wrote:
MY FILES! wrote:
bballfan wrote:In today. Letter dated 3/11. The envelope color is weird but it doesn't exactly look like vomit.


Congrats! When did you go complete?


Complete 2/2


congrats! numbers?

User avatar
Jules Winnfield
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Jules Winnfield » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:37 pm

Lem37 wrote:Hi guys,

Columbia 1L here. I just wanted to let you guys know that I didn't receive my merit-based financial aid until the end of March/beginning of April. I sent the Financial Aid Office my other awards on March 18th of last year, which is also when I submitted my FAFSA etc. Hang tight! They're still sending out acceptances and trying to figure out how to distribute their $$, but you've got plenty of time at this stage in the game. Don't be afraid to send them PDFs of your other awards!

Edit: also, if you haven't submitted your FAFSA/other FinAid forms yet, you won't hear about any merit money until you do so.



Thanks and will do!

c0rpusdelicti
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby c0rpusdelicti » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:43 am

Got a sickly green envelope in the mail today.

User avatar
Core
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Core » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:57 am

c0rpusdelicti wrote:Got a sickly green envelope in the mail today.

Congrats :)

User avatar
TobiasFunke
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:38 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby TobiasFunke » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:25 pm

.
Last edited by TobiasFunke on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”