Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:34 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
irie wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Has anybody who applied ED received anything from CLS letting you know your app was received, was complete, etc?



uh, yes. over a month ago.

Dear XXXXX:

Thank you for your continued interest in Columbia Law School. We are
excited to report to you that we have received all the required components
of your application and that your file is now complete.We will forward
your file to the Admissions Committee, which will evaluate it in the order
in which it was completed. Good luck in the admissions process and we hope
to welcome you here as a member of the Class of 2013!


How long did that take? I should mention I only sent out the envelope last Monday.


Its going to take them awhile because they need to process that $12 check to you.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:35 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
irie wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Has anybody who applied ED received anything from CLS letting you know your app was received, was complete, etc?



uh, yes. over a month ago.

Dear XXXXX:

Thank you for your continued interest in Columbia Law School. We are
excited to report to you that we have received all the required components
of your application and that your file is now complete.We will forward
your file to the Admissions Committee, which will evaluate it in the order
in which it was completed. Good luck in the admissions process and we hope
to welcome you here as a member of the Class of 2013!


How long did that take? I should mention I only sent out the envelope last Monday.


Its going to take them awhile because they need to process that $12 check to you.


:lol:

Did I also mention I paid that in coupons?

User avatar
irie
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:50 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby irie » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:42 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
irie wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Has anybody who applied ED received anything from CLS letting you know your app was received, was complete, etc?



uh, yes. over a month ago.

Dear XXXXX:

Thank you for your continued interest in Columbia Law School. We are
excited to report to you that we have received all the required components
of your application and that your file is now complete.We will forward
your file to the Admissions Committee, which will evaluate it in the order
in which it was completed. Good luck in the admissions process and we hope
to welcome you here as a member of the Class of 2013!


How long did that take? I should mention I only sent out the envelope last Monday.


i'm assuming you meant the ED contract, since no one writes checks these days... O_o

for me it took 10 days from when I mailed my contract to my app going complete, but I live in manhattan and (as stupid as it sounds) my letter had to travel only 1.2 miles from my apartment to columbia's admissions office.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:44 pm

irie wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
irie wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Has anybody who applied ED received anything from CLS letting you know your app was received, was complete, etc?



uh, yes. over a month ago.

Dear XXXXX:

Thank you for your continued interest in Columbia Law School. We are
excited to report to you that we have received all the required components
of your application and that your file is now complete.We will forward
your file to the Admissions Committee, which will evaluate it in the order
in which it was completed. Good luck in the admissions process and we hope
to welcome you here as a member of the Class of 2013!


How long did that take? I should mention I only sent out the envelope last Monday.


i'm assuming you meant the ED contract, since no one writes checks these days... O_o

for me it took 10 days from when I mailed my contract to my app going complete, but I live in manhattan and (as stupid as it sounds) my letter had to travel only 1.2 miles from my apartment to columbia's admissions office.


Alright, thanks for your help. I'll give it another week before starting to freak out. Wouldn't be the first time USPS has lost my mail.

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:53 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
:lol:

Did I also mention I paid that in coupons?


Harvard actually accepted a 20 percent off Bed Bath and Beyond Coupon and a picture of Para she sent me in leiu of my application fee.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:58 pm

:lol:
Last edited by Richie Tenenbaum on Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
irie
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:50 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby irie » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:01 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Alright, thanks for your help. I'll give it another week before starting to freak out. Wouldn't be the first time USPS has lost my mail.


Yeah, I hate snail mail, feels like I'm dropping my letter into a black hole.

And I have a nagging suspicion that I'm not getting mail *from* law schools, which is more than a little alarming. I switched addresses in September and changed it on LSAC, since then I haven't gotten a single brochure or pamphlet from any school. Hopefully CLS will call in addition to mailing out a package if we are accepted.

Should also note that for me the Admissions Status on "My Columbia Law" changed to complete before I got an email from the office. Not sure when it changed but I just happened to randomly check and it said complete, then a few hours later I got the email.

User avatar
superserial
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby superserial » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:12 pm

wackjickham wrote:
superserial wrote:
wackjickham wrote:@helmholtz, I'm not ED so I'm assuming that if ED hears back in early December this year, I should be safe waiting until January for RD


I was in the first RD batch last year, January 22nd or something. you've got a long wait/fairly accurate estimate.


But the real question is... Is manbearpig real?


:D

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:05 pm

Got an e-mail a couple minutes ago letting me know I'm complete. Whew.

User avatar
wackjickham
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby wackjickham » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:11 pm

whataboutbahb wrote:Went complete last week. Transfer of stress from finishing laws applications to now waiting for the next few months began shortly thereafter.


Something tells me this stress just goes LSAT Prep -> Completing Applications and Assembling Materials -> Waiting for decisions -> Waiting for scholarship information -> Making your decision -> Law School -> OCI -> Work. For the rest of your life.

Looking forward to it!

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:26 pm

wackjickham wrote:
whataboutbahb wrote:Went complete last week. Transfer of stress from finishing laws applications to now waiting for the next few months began shortly thereafter.


Something tells me this stress just goes LSAT Prep -> Completing Applications and Assembling Materials -> Waiting for decisions -> Waiting for scholarship information -> Making your decision -> Law School -> OCI -> Work. For the rest of your life.

Looking forward to it!


Here's hoping "-> profit" is included somewhere in the that last part.

protokurios
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:49 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby protokurios » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:34 am

Been complete for a while now. I'll be keeping up with the updates from this thread.

User avatar
Sogui
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Sogui » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:23 am

Looked around, couldn't find it... how do I calculate my Columbia index?

User avatar
superserial
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby superserial » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:07 am

Sogui wrote:Looked around, couldn't find it... how do I calculate my Columbia index?


lawschoolpredictor.com will do it for you, or make an account on lawschoolnumbers.com

User avatar
irie
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:50 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby irie » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:12 pm

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how long it takes for Columbia to notify you of your scholarship info? Assuming you get all the paper work within a week or two of your acceptance, is it rolling or staggered in waves like admissions decisions? I guess I'm asking about merit and need based, though merit probably won't apply to me.

Oban
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Oban » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:47 pm

Went complete today.

User avatar
rx3r
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby rx3r » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:51 pm

wackjickham wrote:Finally complete at Columbia and going to visit in two weeks. I'm almost hoping I don't love it so I won't be crushed if I don't get in. But from what I hear, the odds are against me hating it.


After visiting I'm in love. I will be crushed if I don't get in. But have fun...

User avatar
Lermontov
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Lermontov » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Hey all, another joiner for the Early pool.

I've been a lurker for a little while, but now have a question. Has anyone received anything saying "we have you as an ED applicant"? Someone mentioned the mailbox black hole earlier, and I realized that I only have confirmation that my application is complete. Nothing saying they received my ED commitment.

jooherken
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:08 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby jooherken » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:48 pm

hey guys,
how long did it take you guys to go "complete" ?
I submitted my app on the 6th but my status is still "completion pending" ... looks like people who submitted later than i already went complete...

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:50 pm

jooherken wrote:hey guys,
how long did it take you guys to go "complete" ?
I submitted my app on the 6th but my status is still "completion pending" ... looks like people who submitted later than i already went complete...


I mailed my stuff in on the 11th and got completion on the 20th.

Oban
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Oban » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:20 pm

jooherken wrote:hey guys,
how long did it take you guys to go "complete" ?
I submitted my app on the 6th but my status is still "completion pending" ... looks like people who submitted later than i already went complete...


5 days. App submitted sunday night at 11pm pacific, overnighted the ED contract monday, complete email sent to me this afternoon.

User avatar
macattack
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:21 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby macattack » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:47 am

jooherken wrote:hey guys,
how long did it take you guys to go "complete" ?
I submitted my app on the 6th but my status is still "completion pending" ... looks like people who submitted later than i already went complete...


I submitted on the first, mailed off my ED contract on the 8th from East Asia, and went complete the 16th...

Did any other ED applicants' complete e-mails mention that they'd received the ED contract? Mine just said all application materials and I'm slightly paranoid because I expected it to take longer than 8 days for them to receive and process the ED contract that I sent by regular mail from way over here... I probably shouldn't worry about it though.

Edit: Oh, I just noticed this was asked above. So maybe they're not mentioning it.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:48 am

macattack wrote:
jooherken wrote:hey guys,
how long did it take you guys to go "complete" ?
I submitted my app on the 6th but my status is still "completion pending" ... looks like people who submitted later than i already went complete...


I submitted on the first, mailed off my ED contract on the 8th from East Asia, and went complete the 16th...

Did any other ED applicants' complete e-mails mention that they'd received the ED contract? Mine just said all application materials and I'm slightly paranoid because I expected it to take longer than 8 days for them to receive and process the ED contract that I sent by regular mail from way over here... I probably shouldn't worry about it though.


Nothing in any of my e-mails or anywhere on my status checker does it mention ED, I wouldn't worry about it.

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby oneforship » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:57 am

Helmholtz wrote:
macattack wrote:
jooherken wrote:hey guys,
how long did it take you guys to go "complete" ?
I submitted my app on the 6th but my status is still "completion pending" ... looks like people who submitted later than i already went complete...


I submitted on the first, mailed off my ED contract on the 8th from East Asia, and went complete the 16th...

Did any other ED applicants' complete e-mails mention that they'd received the ED contract? Mine just said all application materials and I'm slightly paranoid because I expected it to take longer than 8 days for them to receive and process the ED contract that I sent by regular mail from way over here... I probably shouldn't worry about it though.


Nothing in any of my e-mails or anywhere on my status checker does it mention ED, I wouldn't worry about it.


It says [said] on the status checker when they receive your app (but before you are complete) that if you checked the ED box on your application your file will not be considered complete until they have received the signed ED contract. So my understanding was that their complete email to me was a confirmation that they had received it.

jooherken
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:08 am

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby jooherken » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:49 am

ok I should have indicated i'm a RD applicant... Does anyone know how long it takes a RD applicant to go complete?
Columbia is the only school that hasn't completed me... it's been over two weeks since I got the completion pending letter..:(




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: amberb94, cyclawps, malysh, sre08 and 16 guests