Columbia 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
xokel87

Re: Columbia 2010

Postby xokel87 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:56 pm

Do we know what the chances of getting off the waitlist are?? My boyfriend just got in today and I'm waiting til May to hear I guess..boo..

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:08 pm

dakatz wrote:Since I have been complete for 4 months, I emailed Columbia to see if there was something wrong, and find out a bit more detail about my status. Seems like doing so has accelerated my impending rejection :) They got back to me saying my decision will be in the mail tomorrow. (and it will read, "here's your rejection, you impatient bastard")

Oh dear. Guess I'll set up camp outside my mailbox tomorrow afternoon.
What makes you so sure you're going to get a rejection?

superberry

Postby superberry » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:19 pm

legalnoeagle wrote:
dakatz wrote:Since I have been complete for 4 months, I emailed Columbia to see if there was something wrong, and find out a bit more detail about my status. Seems like doing so has accelerated my impending rejection :) They got back to me saying my decision will be in the mail tomorrow. (and it will read, "here's your rejection, you impatient bastard")

Hahahaha this JUST happened to me. Can't wait!!! :|

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:34 am

so has anyone notified Columbia yet of NYU or Chicago money and if so how/what did you say?

thanks (feel free to pm)

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:37 am

I did. I sent it to the financial aid office because, after reading over their website about fifty times, it seems like they make all the decisions and not admissions. (Admissions only does the Hamiltons/Butlers). Basically just told them of the NYU scholarship, said I hoped it would be taken into account, and asked for an estimate of when I should expect to hear back.

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:01 am

superberry wrote:
legalnoeagle wrote:

Looks like they may have gotten an early start. Ugh.

http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... order=desc

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:30 am

So, I'm grossly underqualified with a 165/3.5, but i've been shockingly "held" instead of outright rejected. I don't have the time to sift through the past many pages - are "holds" extremely common, even among the underqualified non-urms?

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:33 am

tesoro wrote:So, I'm grossly underqualified with a 165/3.5, but i've been shockingly "held" instead of outright rejected. I don't have the time to sift through the past many pages - are "holds" extremely common, even among the underqualified non-urms?

wow thats pretty fantastic! they must have really liked something in your app.

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:37 am

tesoro wrote:So, I'm grossly underqualified with a 165/3.5, but i've been shockingly "held" instead of outright rejected. I don't have the time to sift through the past many pages - are "holds" extremely common, even among the underqualified non-urms?

I was also super shocked to be held. 172/3.3ish. No one anywhere near my numbers is in on lsn. Hoping my softs get me over the top, but I'm not expecting much.

runnerman

Postby runnerman » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:04 pm

jl2032 wrote:

I was also super shocked to be held. 172/3.3ish. No one anywhere near my numbers is in on lsn. Hoping my softs get me over the top, but I'm not expecting much.

I'm in the same boat as well, with a 168/3.79 but strong softs and work experience.
Anyone know if the "we'll get back to you by April 21" means we may start hearing in the next coming weeks, or "we'll tell you on April 20"? Are there deposit deadlines in early April that will likely pass before they start considering the hold group?

Core

Postby Core » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:47 pm

runnerman wrote:
jl2032 wrote:

I'm in the same boat as well, with a 168/3.79 but strong softs and work experience.
Anyone know if the "we'll get back to you by April 21" means we may start hearing in the next coming weeks, or "we'll tell you on April 20"? Are there deposit deadlines in early April that will likely pass before they start considering the hold group?

If previous cycles are any indication, early-mid April is when they should start.

Jacinda

Postby Jacinda » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:05 pm

Just got dinged from columbia journalism

chinny123

Postby chinny123 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:28 pm

superberry wrote:
legalnoeagle wrote:

So...you guys get your letters yet?

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:35 pm

chinny123 wrote:
superberry wrote:
legalnoeagle wrote:

So...you guys get your letters yet?

Not yet... but this guy did.

http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... order=desc

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:20 am

chutzpah wrote:

yeah it's preeeeety crazy. I'm nowhere near the medians. In fact, I'm laughably far away from their 25th percentiles. So this came totally out of left field.

I'm planning on going to school PT in NYC, so Fordham and BLS with $$$ are at the top of my list right now. If I get into CLS, assuming i neither win the lottery nor get struck by lightning (both of which seem more likely), my whole cycle will be thrown for a loop. Is T4 worth quitting one's totally awesome and flexible job over?

LOCI and significant life updates have been sent. Suddenly those $75 don't feel so wasted. Your move Columbia - what silly shenanagans are coming my way next?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:23 am

tesoro wrote: Is T4 worth quitting one's totally awesome and flexible job over?

I have to give up my carefree and flex lifestyle to come back to school. It has been worth it so far. I can't believe how my life is progressing over the last 2 years since I decided to return to school. It is somewhat relavant to your question, but I think a T4 legal education would really open some doors that wouldn't have been even visible before (or at other schools). That's why I am doing it and I am 100% convinced that it is worth it. Good luck either way!

jd2013

Postby jd2013 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:45 pm

never thought i would be happy to be placed on a reserve list but i am lol. does anyone know when the first seat deposit is due?

existenz

Postby existenz » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:13 pm

chutzpah wrote:

Yeah, that's pretty wild. Normally Columbia will just offer a soft-reject (aka waitlist) to someone with sub-par numbers. A hold means they're not sure yet. Good job!

rejohnso

Postby rejohnso » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:55 pm

IN!!!!
This could end my cycle!!!!! :mrgreen:

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:02 pm

Held today. I don't care nearly as much now that I have a full ride at Northwestern. Columbia would have to offer me at least around 100k for me to choose them over Northwestern and from LSN it seems like nobody who doesn't get a Hamilton gets more than about 70k or so. Still, I'll write my LOCI.

FCD

Postby FCD » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:48 am

rejohnso wrote:IN!!!!
This could end my cycle!!!!! :mrgreen:

congrats! do you mind my asking what your numbers are?

Jules Winnfield

Postby Jules Winnfield » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:30 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Held today. I don't care nearly as much now that I have a full ride at Northwestern. Columbia would have to offer me at least around 100k for me to choose them over Northwestern and from LSN it seems like nobody who doesn't get a Hamilton gets more than about 70k or so. Still, I'll write my LOCI.

As an admit to CLS, take the money and RUN to Northwestern. It's the smarter choice considering this economy and the fact that you'd have the rare independence of pursuing the legal field that truly interests you as opposed to gunning for the job to pay off your debt.

Northwestern's a blessing for you!

Either way, good luck with the LOCI and the rest of your cycle!

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:46 am

Jules Winnfield wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Held today. I don't care nearly as much now that I have a full ride at Northwestern. Columbia would have to offer me at least around 100k for me to choose them over Northwestern and from LSN it seems like nobody who doesn't get a Hamilton gets more than about 70k or so. Still, I'll write my LOCI.

As an admit to CLS, take the money and RUN to Northwestern. It's the smarter choice considering this economy and the fact that you'd have the rare independence of pursuing the legal field that truly interests you as opposed to gunning for the job to pay off your debt.

Thank you, sir. I'm definitely grateful to have this choice. I'll send a LOCI to Columbia just because I should, but what I'm really waiting on at this point are HYS, any of which I would take over the full ride at Northwestern.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:54 am

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:

Thank you, sir. I'm definitely grateful to have this choice. I'll send a LOCI to Columbia just because I should, but what I'm really waiting on at this point are HYS, any of which I would take over the full ride at Northwestern.

Just curious: If you accept the full ride at Northwestern for the class of 2014, are you bound by that acceptance?

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:05 am

Dignan wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:

Just curious: If you accept the full ride at Northwestern for the class of 2014, are you bound by that acceptance?

Good question. I don't think I am bound, and would just lose my deposit. This means I can wait out the HYS waitlists all summer if need be!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”